Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive Rookie of the Year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubbie714

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Defensive Rookie of the Year Reply with quote

ok, dunta robinson has been snuffed out of everything this year after a freaking incredible rookie campaign.

first of all, he undoubtably belongs in the pro bowl for the afc. he was the 3rd corner in the afc in solo tackles, 2nd in sacks, tied for 2nd in ints, tied for second in forced fumbles, and 3rd in passes defended. all of these more than the overrated champ bailey. take away that apparent "ROOKIE" tag placed on him, robinson is a shoe-in for the pro-bowl spot.

i would talk about why he didnt win defensive rookie of the year, but i honestly have no reason why except that the sports writers were just flat out wrong.
texansfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt. I personally thought there would be more of a battle for defensive rookie of the year than regarding the pro bowl. Both Robinson and Vilma put up tremendous rookie seasons, so it's hard to question him being the ROY.

Champ Bailey had a decent year, and Dunta definitely should have made it over Tory James. He was probably the defensive MVP for an average texans unit and put up incredible numbers. It's too bad he didn't get the Pro Bowl nod.
cubbie714

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt vilma had an incredible season, and im not trying to take away from his accomplishments and what he did for the jets, but it my mind it should have been robinson in a landslide. the only stats that vilma had better numbers in was tackles, but that is understandable since he is a LB, and he had 1 defensive TD. The thing is, vilma only had 20 more tackles than robinson did and he was usually involved in every play. and, as you mentioned, robinson was a bright spot on a sub-par texans defense, which i thought would make him stand out more but i guess not.

also, granted i only saw him play once, it is very hard to imagine that vilma worked harder than robinson did. this especially stood out to me one of the last games of the season, when robinson missed a tackle, got back up, and eventually forced a fumble that led to a td by Peek. it was pretty incredible.

but who knows, im not a sports writer, so mayb i still dont know enough about football to make that type of conjecture

o, and btw texansfan, i agree that robinson mite b the texans defensive mvp, but he has serious competition from kailee wong. even though he had less tackles than sharper, wong was by far the best LB we had last year. our linebackers need to learn how to cover better however.
texansfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely. I wasn't trying to disagree with you because I definitely feel that Robinson should be a pro bowler and defensive rookie of the year. I just can understand how Vilma, who didn't start until his second or third game and made that defense feared again, could get so many votes. Not to mention he was playing in a more high-profile place like New York on a team that made the playoffs. All things that worked against Dunta.

Still feel he was our best player. And I really hope the texans make some big moves in free agency and the draft to make this defense something special. They have the pieces in place and picking up a safety and defensive tackle in the first two rounds would do wonders. Not to mention (fingers crossed) getting Ed Hartwell to man the other ILB spot with Sharper.

But hey, I'm a dreamer.
Bullred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Dunta should have been both roy and a pro-bowler. I caught most of the Texans games this year and was really impressed with him. He will be a top five cb in the nfl for many years to come!!!!!!
Gnrl Manchester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason that Vilma got the nod over Robinson is the position he plays. As the Mike LB he has to call the plays for the defense. The fact that he came in and took over for a solid veteran, didn't get phased by all the pressure, put up good numbers, and yes, played in New York all worked in his favor. Not to take anything away from Robinson, but the cornerback position is really about staying with your man, especially in the style of 3-4 that Dom Capers favors, while Vilma is calling plays and leading a defense that really turned itself around from last years poor play.
Namy5280

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
all of these more than the overrated champ bailey.

If you're implying that Dunta is better than Champ.... no... just no...
mic79e

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Dunta Robinson should definitely have won defensive rookie of the year.

Here's a hypothetical question for you Texans fans. What would it take for you trade Robinson to Baltimore?

If I were the GM of the Ravens I would not give up Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs or Ray Lewis in a deal, but would be open to any other players/draft picks for Robinson. How much would it take?
texansfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think that Dunta is going to be going anywhere. But I'd be willing to deal him to you guys for Chris Mcallister and Todd Heap.
pickledpigsfeet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunta did get a ROY honor. Here is the link.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1506

Congrats to him!
mic79e

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
Don't think that Dunta is going to be going anywhere. But I'd be willing to deal him to you guys for Chris Mcallister and Todd Heap.

What about, Chris McAllister, the Ravens 2nd round pick and RT Orlando Brown, for Robinson and the Texans 4th round pick?
texansfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, I was really just kidding. I like Mcallister, but I'll keep Dunta.

Not that what we talk about has any bearing on what happens in real life anyway, but always fun to pretend.
mic79e

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, the Texans wouldn't let Robinson go. I was just interested in getting some opinions from people that have scene him play and realise how good he is.

Even though it wouldn't happen, do you think that proposal that I sent back (McAllister, Ravens 2nd round '05 and RT Orlando Brown for Robinson and the Texans 4th round '05) was way off the mark?

Any other opinions on what might be a more realistic offer for Houston, from Baltimore?
texansfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might not be completely off the mark since Mcallister is still one of the top CBs in the league. How old is he tho? I don't know too much about him. But if he's still relatively young then the deal might have a possibility of being made, but if he's quite a bit older than Dunta then it wouldn't have a chance.
Gojets

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robinson no doubt had a great season. Every team would want him. 87 tackles and 6 intcerpetions is somethng that every team wishes their vetern d-backs could do. But Vilma 107 tackles and 3 interceptionsm and 2 sacks. And another Rookie everybody overlooked is Erik Coleman 100 tackles 4 interceptions and 2 sacks. great job in the draft but don't forget the jets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: