Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans draft wishlist
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texansfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Texans draft wishlist Reply with quote

In my opinion, the texans need to go with a big body on the D-line in the first. Depending on how well they test, I think you need to grab somebody like Rod Wright, Anttaj Hawthorne or Marcus Spears in the first. They just need to get some guys to tie up lineman and free up our linebackers. If those guys are gone by the time they pick, then I think a trade down is in order.

Here is my list of who I think should be at the top of their wishlist considering we'll have roughly the 17th pick or so in the draft:

1st round:
1. Rod Wright
2. Marcus Spears
3. Thomas Davis (might be too low to have a shot at him)
4. Anttaj Hawthorne

2nd round:
1. Best safety on the board (unless we got Davis in the first)
2. Gabe Watson
3. Haloti Ngata

3rd round:

With two picks I think we try to get a TE and O-line help

Aside from those, I think the texans need to pick up a few guys in free agency. A little linebacker help in the form of Ed Hartwell and Julian Peterson would be amazing. Picking up Orlando Pace for the O-line would be great. And Plaxico Burress to line up across from Andre Johnson would be a formidable tandem.

Most of this is wishful thinking, but it's just my opinion. Any other thoughts on the texans draft?
bulluckthebeast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan how is Robaire SMith doing down there?
cowboys=bigtimeoffseason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he hasnt been playing bad but next year he will most likely be moved to nose tackle....Texans have a lot of talent and they are my second favorite team...
Iceblink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a close call with the D-line, but I've got to go O-line with the first pick.

However, if Seth Payne is let go, then you probably do have to look at a lineman by no later than pick 2. Gary Walker got a lot of money (and so did Robaire Smith), so I'm not sure if they can afford Payne - though I'd rather have him than Walker.

Babin showed some promise, and he came at the cost of a lot of draft picks - so I'd give him another season to stick as the rush LB. Antwan Peek started to show a little life at times, too.

WR probably warrants a pick by round 3 or 4. I don't think Corey Bradford should be back, and actually didn't think he should've been back this year at his salary and weak production.

We really hit with Dunta Robinson, but there's not much depth after he & Glenn...and Glenn is getting very old for a CB. I think drafting there would be just as good a move as drafting a safety. Safeties are a little easier to find in free agency, I think.
texansfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robaire Smith has been pretty good for us. I really think that a bigger body in the middle would help us out. Either getting Rod Wright, or moving Robaire to the nose and drafting a guy like Marcus Spears. They really need to start getting more pressure on the QB.

I can't see them going O-line in the first round. Their line has been decent compared to past years, and picking up another good free agent could really solidify them. Orlando Pace would be amazing, and allow us to get the tackle we thought we had when we drafted Boselli.

WR is a need too. Andre Johnson is a pro-bowler, and deservingly so. He is amazing and a physical freak. Getting another WR with big-time potential could provide Carr all the targets he will need. Gaffney and Bradford haven't been as great as we'd hoped. Plaxico Burress could be another target for us in free agency. Him and Andre would be a frightening duo.

Finally, LB and Safety are our final needs. I've been happy with Babin and Sharper, but the rest of the linebacking corps leaves something to be desired. Getting a free agent like Ed Hartwell (or maybe Julian Peterson if my prayers are answered) would solidify the group. Safety would be best addressed in the draft with a deep safety group and no major free agents available. Due to the depth I see us spending our second rounder on that spot, picking up Bing, Shazor, Pool, Nicholson, or whoever is the top available.

Ideally, I would like to see Ahmad Brooks fall to us in the first. Pickup Darnell Bing in the second, and trade up into the second round to get Gabe Watson from Michigan for nosetackle. Our major free agent acquisitions should be Pace, Burress and Hartwell. And hopefully Bennie Joppru finally gets healthy and gives us a pass-catching tightend.

Doubtful most of this will come true, but if it does, beware of the texans next year.
texansfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Gabe Watson is going back to Michigan for his senior year. So forgot what I said about us trading up in the second for him.
titans & their fans s

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Texans 2005 draft Reply with quote

My $.02...

I think we go with the best available O lineman in the draft in the first round. Hopefully Ferguson (if he comes out) or Barron will still be available at LT. Seth Wand, while a hard worker, isn't a long term solution at LT...I'm not sure exactly how many, but a good % of Freeney's sacks this year came against him alone. Another option is Elton Brown, G from Virginia, although 13 might be too high for him. That would let us move Chester Pitts back to LT, where he was developing quite nicely. I had hopes that Milford Brown would play well enough to justify starting him at LG, and moving Pitts back to LT, but Brown can't pass block to save his life (see: Cleveland tape from last weekend).

As for D line help...let me go on the record by stating that I hate the 3-4 the way we run it. We have no zone blitz schemes....only "linear" blitzes that are rather predictable. Isn't the main benefit of the 3-4 maximum flexibility and creativity? Without that, we're just running a scheme that lets the o-line scrape to our backers and re-establish the LOS.

So...if we're going to continue to (mis)use the 3-4, we better get a nose who demands double teams (think Ted Washington). Payne has been solid (when healthy), but never makes a team dedicate a G along with the C to take care of him. Thus, the LOS constantly gets pushed back to the level of our LBs.

With all of that said, if a true shut-down corner like Rolle is still available, I can't see us passing up on him. Glenn is getting older (anybody see the 1st play vs. Cleveland, where the ball went right through his hands? Tell me Aaron Glenn from 3 years ago doesn't make that pick!) and true lockdown corners are the most rare commodity in the NFL.

Derrick Johnson and Ahmad Brooks at LB are excellent prospects and "sexy picks", but where are we going to play them? Sharper, Wong and Babin are 'entrenched' as starters, and Foreman/Polk/Peek are all more than capable. It's true that we need more speed on D, but I don't know where somebody would fit in given the LBs that we already have.

So, in sum, I propose that the Texans:
1) Scrap the 3-4. If not, at least use it in a fashion that resembles the Steelers of the late 90's or Baltimore of today (probably includes replacing Vic Fangio)
2) Go OL (best available) in the first round, unless a lockdown corner is on the board
3) Pick up a wide-body to mandate double teams on the nose
4) Sell our souls, farms, first born children, etc to move up in the 2006 draft to nab Reggie Bush!
texansfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. We really don't play the 3-4 like we should. And a big body in the middle would be great, because as you said, Seth Payne is good but not as great as we need him to be. I was hoping they'd be able to get Wilfork last year by trading down (but I'm definitely not upset they got Robinson). So grabbing a big guy in the 1st or 2nd is a priority.

I don't see them going O-line in the first. It's something we definitely need, but D is a bigger priority. I hope they'll make a good pitch at Orlando Pace because he really seems unhappy in St Louis and would give us the Tony Boselli-like tackle we've always wanted.

I'm not as high on Wong as you are. But you're probably right and we probably won't go linebacker in the first round.

Glenn should be decent for at least another year or two. Grabbing a safety like Davis or Shazor would be great. I don't see them going cornerback in the first 3 rounds.

And Reggie Bush would look great in a texans uniform.
Gnrl Manchester

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my input folks:

I think the Safety and CB positions are deep in this draft, so if we can hold off, we can get either one in the second round. The DT position, for what we are looking for, is NOT very deep. There are a number of good prospects in this draft, but not for playing the 3-4 the way it needs to be, with a large run stuffer in the middle. So for those who feel that shoring up the d-line is the top priority, we need to grab someone in the first round.

Personally, I'm torn, because I think a hard hitting safety to play opposite Marcus Coleman would be great for our secondary, especially when you have to play the Colts, Titans, and Jaguars twice a year, all of which have a strong passing game (and if you don't feel that Jacksonville's passing game is especially strong, just you wait until they come out the other side of this year's offseason), you need someone to put the fear of God into their receivers. Which is why I like Thomas Davis as our round one pick.

However, you will never beat Peyton Manning and Byron Leftwich if you don't force them out of the pocket. That being said, a good DT with the first pick, someone who can take up more blockers and allow Walker and Smith, or the blitzing backer to do their thing might be the better way to go. You could still grab Brimmer in the second round, but if you had gone Davis in the first, there'd be a serious drop off in the DT's from round one to round two.
texansfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good point. The depth in safety is especially noticeable (but not sure how much I want either of those Oklahoma safeties anymore), and cornerback is good too. Grabbing a guy like Rod Wright in the first would hopefully tie up enough lineman that our linebackers can start making more plays.

You mentioned Brimmer in the second, has anyone gotten a good read on this guy? Some places have mentioned this guy as a possible first round pick, while other places have him as the 8th or 9th rated safety in the draft. I've been impressed with Shazor from Michigan and would love to get him on the team. A draft with Wright from Texas in the first, Shazor in the second, and possibly cornerback and O-line help in the 3rd would be awesome. They still need to do some work in free agency, but that's another matter.
texan0305

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Texan needs Reply with quote

Well i think the texans need someone on the offensive line, but theres not a real blue chipper out there, the way the texans will more than likely go is they'll go after the best athelete available but it's nice to dream that Mike Williams will be playing wide receiver for us, i can't see san diego passing on williams though, the texans will more than likely land with Dan Cody or Derrick Johnson from ut, i'd like to see how far Antrell Rolle drops down, it'll be interesting to see if he's still on the board with williams,

Go Texans!!!
texansfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishful thinking, my fellow texans fan. Williams, Rolle and Johnson should all be top-ten selections. But they're definitely not our most glaring needs anyhow. Johnson would be an amazing grab, but if we grabbed him I'd like to trade back into the late first and grabbing someone like Spears or Hawthorne. D-line needs to get more pressure on the QB.
texan0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: texan talks Reply with quote

Ya i haven't seen spears play but alot of these mock drafts have the texans picking him, i agree i'd like a guy on the dline since the signing of seth payne looks doubtfull, ive also seen some mock drafts having us pick dan cody out of ou, about that hawthorne guy i havent heard much about him, if he's a athelete the texans will definately look into him and spears since casserly has stated that he was going to go after the best atehelete available at the 13 slot, we'll see i dont think williams will drop down that low, and rolle has some question with his speed, also if anyone can let me know if the safety from georgio Thomas Davis

thanks go texans
texansfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, it looks like Spears, Travis Johnson or Thomas Davis will probably be the pick at 13, at least IMO. I know that he said we'll take the best athlete, but if there isn't someone there who will fill a need, I hope they trade down.
texan0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: trade Reply with quote

Ya i agree, if there isn't anyone there at 13 they should trade down i think spears will be available at 13 the players ahead of him at the moment are very hyped in no particular order, Aaron Rogers, Mike Williams, Cedric Benson, Alex Smith, Braylon Edwards, Dan Cody, Carnell Williams, Anrelle Rolle, Derrick Johnson, Ronnie Brown, Alex Barron, Jamal Brown, Thomas Davis, i put 14 up who i think will be taken in the top 12 maybe if any two of those fall (more than likely Aaron Rogers nor Alex Smith will fall to 13) but who knows from now till April i'm sure alot will change i want to see how much hype this spears guy gets, i've read a few stuff on him and he sounds to be the real deal so i guess i'll wait and see

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: