Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikes to 3-4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alobar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Vikes to 3-4 Reply with quote

There has been some discussion about the vikes wanting to impliment a 3-4 defense next year.....my initial reaction was the same as most everyone....something like: we dont even have 3 good linebackers; its crazy! but then after thinking about it more, i am actually more open to it. however, there are some big if's involved.....anyways here's my take:

first of all, ted cottrell has had success running the 3-4 before (in buffalo) and he knows how to run the system

D Line
in order to run a 3-4 you need a mammoth dt to play nose, something we dont have. i dont think steve martin is an every down type of guy...something to be addressed through the draft

k-williams would move to de.....obviously he was far superior inside than at end his rookie year. however, the de in a 3-4 scheme is totally different than in the 4-3....its almost along the lines of having 3 dt's out there (think richard seymour with the pats...considered a de but he is the size of a tackle.....6-6 310lbs....and plays like a tackle) i think williams would be able to have the same sort of success playing end in a 3-4 as he did playing tackle in a 4-3

udeze would be able to play the other end.. he's big and strong and has the moves for it to work....plus hes having his shoulder surgery this off season. ive heard that he was only playing at about 80% strength last year....if that was 80, 100 should be down right scary (and we do have another de rookie, darrion scott, who looked ok in his limited action, adding depth to the de's, not to mention mixon)

overall our d line would be able to make the switch with no problem

now for the linebackers:

OLBs
Claiborne: the best linebacker the vikes have got....wants to play middle....if he can, great, if not, there is one of the two olb. obvious duribility issues

newman: newman played a situational role for the vikes last year. im assuming most who read this are vikings fans and had a chance to watch most of the games. if not, you'll have to take my word on this next statement: he is a tremendous blitzer and would fit the pass rushing olb position in a 3-4 perfectly.

thomas: rookie who needs to make big strides in his awareness to prove that he deserves to be on the feild. he is a terriffic athlete and if he can improve his football instincts has the potential to be a very good linebacker at the pro level. especially since claiborne is hurt quite a bit.

MLB
to be blunt, ej henderson looked like a lost little boy most of the time this year. MLB would be the biggest issue to be addressed if the vikes considered moving to a 3-4 (aside from NT). ej's only saving grace is the simple fact that he is still young and this was his first year as a starter. if he commits to studying film and improving as a linebacker in the offseason i truly believe that he has the ability to be a quality starter in the nfl.

as far as the second mlb is concerned we would have to bring one in from outside the organization (fa? trade? draft?) i know this is kind of a cop-out statement but if the vikes are committed to running a 3-4, i dont see any other way of making it work

remember: most of our frot seven is very very young and raw. however, many were high draft picks (williams-1st rd; udeze-1st rd; henderson-2nd rd; thomas-2nd rd, scott-3rd rd) and i do have faith in studwell and our scouting team. he did take williams when everyone (including myself) was screaming for the vikes to take suggs and overall we have made excellent use of our draft picks (smith 4, williams 1, moore 4, dorsey 4, burleson 3, nattiell 6) over the past 2 years

in the end it all comes down to wheather or not our young linebacking corp can continue to improve and prove that they were worth the high picks that were used on them...this is the nfl, and very few players come out and dominate in their first year or two

but as i have said there are a ton of ifs involved. however i think that the pats, steelers, and ravens have proven that a well run 3-4 can be absolutely dominant. just look at how much the chargers d improved after making the switch.

anyways, please tell me what you think....i have been thinking about this since i read the article about the possible change.....call me insane, call me whatever, but your feedback is greatly appreciated!!!!
Rippleforskin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we could pick up Channing in the draft, i think he'd play good as our 2nd MLB.

I like the change. Nething will be fine with me, all changes are greatly encouraged by me, b/c obviously we're doing something wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VIKEMAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will know more about possible DEF. changes , if we see the Vikes start taking an interest in big NT's around the league. Lets see who comes to visit 1st? Cottrell knows the system , he could do it. One thing about 3-4 scheme "ya gotta be big up the middle" to make that happen. Go get Kendrell Bell and Claiborne (ILB's) Newman and Smith be outside guys or Thomas at one spot? Udeze and williams as DT's and get a big NT ,Theres your front seven. E.J. could watch and learn for a year or two and be quality depth at ILB . Move Chavous to FS draft a stud SS to come in or OFFORD can play there Williams and Winfield as your corners. I 'll tell ya if Thomas Bailey could fall to #18 he might be able to play SS? His size and speed are big questions ? But dude can play!! Question
Fartman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Sounds good, but.... Reply with quote

TC, you know the Vikings LBs are bad, and unless we make a move to get a bigger DT AND a quality MLB (such as Kendrell Bell), this is not the correct move. KWill belongs in the middle. Plus it's not like these run stuffers grow on trees. The only one on the market is Detroit's Shaun Rogers, and I think he will stay in Detroit. I don't see any bigger DTs in the draft. We need to solve our other problems, such as lack of talent on D before we make any signifigant changes. And it is Thomas Davis, not Baily. Moss for Arrington 1st and 2nd + good draft = Super Bowl XL Champs!
Alobar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in the end it all comes down to wheather or not our young linebacking corp can continue to improve and prove that they were worth the high picks that were used on them...this is the nfl, and very few players come out and dominate in their first year or two

shaun rodgers already resigned with detroit during the season.....and k will would be just as productive at end in a 3-4......as i said before, its totally different than the failed attempt at end in the 4-3.

and i cant see red bringing in many big time free agents therefore i suppose it depends on who we bring in.....if kendrell comes in im definately all for the switch to 3-4.....if we end up with abraham i think we'll be better suited for a 4-3.

im not saying the switch will be a complete fix-all, however at the very least it is worth a shot. unfortunately, whatever is going to be done next season will most likely have to be done with most of the personnel already on the roster and from what i see, it can be done, and has a very good possibility of working out just fine
Helter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the negative creep here .
I don't believe we have the talent to play a 3-4 D
it relies on the LB's to put the pressure on the QB while our best DL player (williams gets lost in the traffic) in a 3-4 the line does the dirty work and the LB,s get the numbers and I'm too much a fan of williams

but I could be wrong !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: