Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rotoworld rankings: Best Coaches and Best GMs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Rotoworld rankings: Best Coaches and Best GMs Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/52307/57/nfls-best-coaches-2015?pg=2

Quote:
22. Jay Gruden

Career Record: 4-12 (.250)

With The Redskins Since: 2014

Last Year’s Ranking: — —

Jay Gruden was a middle-of-the-road offensive coordinator. As a head coach, he’s just trying to keep his team on the road. Gruden has perhaps the most thankless job in sports. For owner Daniel Snyder, the Redskins are a play thing. FedEx Field is Snyder’s sandbox, and “Jerry Jones without the charm or football background” is his mission statement. Snyder manufactures more needless drama than any man on the planet. That’s the hornet’s nest Gruden has stepped into. Despite his undistinguished career as a play-caller, Gruden managed the undermanned 2014 Redskins about as well as any man could have. There was no fake happy talk for an ineffective Robert Griffin III, and no mystery as to who was calling the shots. Gruden was his own man for a team where that can get you fired. Of course, some of Gruden’s decisions left much to be desired. Colt McCoy shouldn’t be playing quarterback and Jim Haslett shouldn’t be coordinating defense, let alone on the same team. But if Gruden didn’t bat 1.000, he still laid the groundwork for success in a dysfunctional organization. There’s just no guarantee Snyder lets him see it through.

I think they let Gruden off significantly by hiding behind the now almost-trope of "Let's make fun of Snyder." But his overall ranking is probably fair (fourth worst of returning head coaches), though I'd rather have him than Ron Rivera, Jeff Fisher, Jim Caldwell, and Lovie Smith (four of the five coaches directly above him).

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/53473/57/nfls-best-gms-2015

Quote:
<unranked because new>

Scot McCloughan, Redskins

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder makes approximately 10 bad decisions for every good one. Hiring Scot McCloughan as general manager was one of the good ones. McCloughan built up the 49ers roster that Trent Baalke is now tearing down, and was an integral part of the Seahawks’ revival under Pete Carroll. So why was he out of a job? He had a drinking problem. A fact that McCloughan is candid about was the only reason he was available to the Redskins in the first place. But if he’s fallen into the Redskins’ lap, he could also fall under Snyder’s tyrannical spell. McCloughan knows how to evaluate players. Few are better at it. But will he be the first man to overcome Snyder’s whims and impulses? If so, the Redskins will finally find themselves out of the NFL’s cellar. If not, McCloughan will become just the latest of Snyder’s fired saviors.

See what I mean about the trope? We get it already. All of this is accurate, though. So far, let's keep our fingers crossed.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unless a minor miracle occurs I guess the UNRANKED G M will replace the #22 coach next year.. Crying or Very sad
Dashing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idc about rankings I care about results. Lets give SM three years to fully say hey he was a good pick up. Skins fans seem to always rush into conclusions instead of waiting a good amount of time to see results.
Skinsin2013

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Idc about rankings I care about results. Lets give SM three years to fully say hey he was a good pick up. Skins fans seem to always rush into conclusions instead of waiting a good amount of time to see results.

Agreed. And Gruden won one more game than Shanahan the prior year... as a rookie head coach... with a depleted lineup... and a broken, diva QB.
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotoworld rankings: Best Coaches and Best GMs Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/52307/57/nfls-best-coaches-2015?pg=2

Quote:
22. Jay Gruden

Career Record: 4-12 (.250)

With The Redskins Since: 2014

Last Year’s Ranking: — —

Jay Gruden was a middle-of-the-road offensive coordinator. As a head coach, he’s just trying to keep his team on the road. Gruden has perhaps the most thankless job in sports. For owner Daniel Snyder, the Redskins are a play thing. FedEx Field is Snyder’s sandbox, and “Jerry Jones without the charm or football background” is his mission statement. Snyder manufactures more needless drama than any man on the planet. That’s the hornet’s nest Gruden has stepped into. Despite his undistinguished career as a play-caller, Gruden managed the undermanned 2014 Redskins about as well as any man could have. There was no fake happy talk for an ineffective Robert Griffin III, and no mystery as to who was calling the shots. Gruden was his own man for a team where that can get you fired. Of course, some of Gruden’s decisions left much to be desired. Colt McCoy shouldn’t be playing quarterback and Jim Haslett shouldn’t be coordinating defense, let alone on the same team. But if Gruden didn’t bat 1.000, he still laid the groundwork for success in a dysfunctional organization. There’s just no guarantee Snyder lets him see it through.

I think they let Gruden off significantly by hiding behind the now almost-trope of "Let's make fun of Snyder." But his overall ranking is probably fair (fourth worst of returning head coaches), though I'd rather have him than Ron Rivera, Jeff Fisher, Jim Caldwell, and Lovie Smith (four of the five coaches directly above him).

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/53473/57/nfls-best-gms-2015

Quote:
<unranked because new>

Scot McCloughan, Redskins

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder makes approximately 10 bad decisions for every good one. Hiring Scot McCloughan as general manager was one of the good ones. McCloughan built up the 49ers roster that Trent Baalke is now tearing down, and was an integral part of the Seahawks’ revival under Pete Carroll. So why was he out of a job? He had a drinking problem. A fact that McCloughan is candid about was the only reason he was available to the Redskins in the first place. But if he’s fallen into the Redskins’ lap, he could also fall under Snyder’s tyrannical spell. McCloughan knows how to evaluate players. Few are better at it. But will he be the first man to overcome Snyder’s whims and impulses? If so, the Redskins will finally find themselves out of the NFL’s cellar. If not, McCloughan will become just the latest of Snyder’s fired saviors.

See what I mean about the trope? We get it already. All of this is accurate, though. So far, let's keep our fingers crossed.

I too am tired of lazy writers blaming everything on Snyder. He's remove himself to a much greater extent for two years but the rg special rules hurt him and us. Gruden ranking is a about right and this is his year to swim or sink. Our roster especially on defense and special teams is much improved. Let's see what he can do with it
Dashing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinsin2013 wrote:
Dashing wrote:

Agreed. And Gruden won one more game than Shanahan the prior year... as a rookie head coach... with a depleted lineup... and a broken, diva QB.

He needs to do what parcells did and threatened players that go all hard headed mode and do undisciplined things and tell them if they do it again theyll get benched for a couple games or get cut.

Few times garcon/jackson/moss /breeland did some crap like that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: