Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who are the Scot McCloughan guys?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Who are the Scot McCloughan guys? Reply with quote

Cooley had a good topic this morning.

Who are the McCloughan guys that are going to start on this team that are starting but probably shouldn't be?

My thought is:

1. As Woz keeps saying, Matt Jones.
2. David Bruton

Those are my two. Matt Jobes as Woz keeps saying has more or less been given the starting RB job over the past two years but hasn't been earned it. There is a strong possibility the reason that is is because he was McCloughan's 3rd round draft choice.

Bruton seems to have been given the ss job at this point but Ihenacho has outplayed him all preseason.

Another one to consider is Kendall Reyes should he start over RJF. I'm still worried this is going to happen not just because Barry was part of the crew that drafted him in round 2 in San Diego but also because McCloughan signed him and he didn't sign RJF.

Thoughts?

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtle yourself said the Coach makes the decision on who plays, so how is Gruden being forced to start anyone by SM?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, is McG like Snyder now? He tells Jay who has to start and who doesn't?

- mike23md on the sig!

Adopt a Skin:
Robert Kelley, RB
DeAngelo Hall, S - 11 tackles, 6 solo
Kendall Fuller, CB
MikeT14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, 21 All the Way, I see we said the same thing. I didn't scroll down to see responses.

- mike23md on the sig!

Adopt a Skin:
Robert Kelley, RB
DeAngelo Hall, S - 11 tackles, 6 solo
Kendall Fuller, CB
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what they did last year with players, they tend to go with the player who they think is best, regardless of contract status (cutting Amerson, staying with Foster & Compton when Riley was healthy again). So, if they keep with their trend from last year, it's very possible those players start early but are replaced in short order.

Matt Jones in particular needs to worry since Gruden and Callahan showed that they gave no concern to veteran status or contract and just went with what they viewed as the hot hand with running back.

I won't be surprised if Reyes makes the final 53, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't. He's a rare preseason starter who I think is on the bubble. It will partly depend on how they feel about Cullen Jenkins and if they think they can risk putting Lanier through the waiver wire and practice squad situation.

Bruton might have the "safest" situation of the three, but I could see them replacing him with Ihenacho somewhere down the line.
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Who are the Scot McCloughan guys? Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Another one to consider is Kendall Reyes should he start over RJF. I'm still worried this is going to happen not just because Barry was part of the crew that drafted him in round 2 in San Diego but also because McCloughan signed him and he didn't sign RJF.

Thoughts?

Wasn't RJF McCloughan's first signing? He was signed February 27, 2015.
killacam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who are the Scot McCloughan guys? Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Thoughts?

Wasn't RJF McCloughan's first signing? He was signed February 27, 2015.

That's what I was thinking! he was his first signing I thought!
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a good thread, guess not. Cooley spent a good 10 minutes on this. His biggest examples were Matt Jones and Reyes since it seems this preseason Brown and Kelley have played better than Jones and Reyes has looked like one of our worst run defenders and they both could be starters.

Do people not agree?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Based on what they did last year with players, they tend to go with the player who they think is best, regardless of contract status (cutting Amerson, staying with Foster & Compton when Riley was healthy again). So, if they keep with their trend from last year, it's very possible those players start early but are replaced in short order.

Matt Jones in particular needs to worry since Gruden and Callahan showed that they gave no concern to veteran status or contract and just went with what they viewed as the hot hand with running back.

I won't be surprised if Reyes makes the final 53, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't. He's a rare preseason starter who I think is on the bubble. It will partly depend on how they feel about Cullen Jenkins and if they think they can risk putting Lanier through the waiver wire and practice squad situation.

Bruton might have the "safest" situation of the three, but I could see them replacing him with Ihenacho somewhere down the line.
Thanks Woz, good points Cooley should read this! Laughing

HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I thought it was a good thread, guess not. Cooley spent a good 10 minutes on this. His biggest examples were Matt Jones and Reyes since it seems this preseason Brown and Kelley have played better than Jones and Reyes has looked like one of our worst run defenders and they both could be starters.

Do people not agree?

Did you not read the two posts directly above you? If Cooley is bringing up Reyes as an example, then he's an idiot, because McCloughan signed RJF as well.

This is a moot point anyway, because Gruden is the one who ultimately decides who starts and who doesn't. McCloughan is the one who decides who the 53 players are that Gruden can choose his starters from.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Do people not agree?

Did you not read the two posts directly above you? If Cooley is bringing up Reyes as an example, then he's an idiot, because McCloughan signed RJF as well.

This is a moot point anyway, because Gruden is the one who ultimately decides who starts and who doesn't. McCloughan is the one who decides who the 53 players are that Gruden can choose his starters from.
Reyes is more a Barry guy because Barry was on the Chargers when he was drafted and the following two years.

It was a complicated point he was making, it wasn't just who signed the guy or who drafted them. It was more "who's playing better." And if the undrafted guys are playing better of other guys perceived to be back ups, would those guys start? Should Jay and his coaches want them to start? Or is this a Mccloughan drafted this guy high so he's playing or whatever.

He was just looking for ad discussion, as was I. Not a damn food fight. Damn! Can't we just talk football?

turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Do people not agree?

Reyes is more a Barry guy because Barry was on the Chargers when he was drafted and the following two years.

It was a complicated point he was making, it wasn't just who signed the guy or who drafted them. It was more "who's playing better." And if the undrafted guys are playing better of other guys perceived to be back ups, would those guys start? Should Jay and his coaches want them to start? Or is this a Mccloughan drafted this guy high so he's playing or whatever.

He was just looking for good discussion, as was I. Not a damn food fight. Damn! Can't we just talk football?

I guess you had to listen to the segment on the radio. Hard to explain it in words.

21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Do people not agree?

He was just looking for good discussion, as was I. Not a damn food fight. Damn! Can't we just talk football?

I guess you had to listen to the segment on the radio. Hard to explain it in words.

I don't listen to these radio segments but I will say Jay and Barry should be deciding who is playing no matter who SM signs or drafts. I would hope/assume when we draft or sign guys SM gets the last decision who that is but has dialogue with the coaching staff as well first. He isn't the coach or the one putting a gameplan together when we face teams so him saying who plays wouldn't be a ideal situation in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Do people not agree?

I don't listen to these radio segments but I will say Jay and Barry should be deciding who is playing no matter who SM signs or drafts. I would hope/assume when we draft or sign guys SM gets the last decision who that is but has dialogue with the coaching staff as well first. He isn't the coach or the one putting a gameplan together when we face teams so him saying who plays wouldn't be a ideal situation in my opinion.

You should try to listenand check it out. 980 has made it easier with their iPhone app where you can listen to prev shows ( ok commercial over$

The process isn't always so clear. The key points of SM controlling roster, JG controlling game decision works great when you are winning. It's also complicated by Bruce and Eric the financial guys and maybe Danny from time to time. When you lose a few SM is JG's boss and losing can get them both fired there is conflict. I remember when Gibbs deferred to beathard. Win a few Super Bowls and it was the other way around.
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Do people not agree?

You should try to listenand check it out. 980 has made it easier with their iPhone app where you can listen to prev shows ( ok commercial over$

The process isn't always so clear. The key points of SM controlling roster, JG controlling game decision works great when you are winning. It's also complicated by Bruce and Eric the financial guys and maybe Danny from time to time. When you lose a few SM is JG's boss and losing can get them both fired there is conflict. I remember when Gibbs deferred to beathard. Win a few Super Bowls and it was the other way around.

You think Belicheck is being told who to put on the field? You just said Gibbs changed that mentality after winning SBs. Him being the guy deciding who plays! I want a SB I don't know what the rest of you guys want. Seems like to many of you are fine being mediocre! GM is suppose to get the HC the best guys for the team while the HC puts the best players on the field who can get the job done! Didn't so many say that was a huge problem with our past QB, that coaches felt pressure from Danny to play him even though Cousins was better for our offense!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: