FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We are transitioning to a new forum software platform. Your current password will not work after August 12th. Update the email in your profile so you are not locked out. Click here for more information.

Matt Jones notified he'll be traded or released
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Matt Jones notified he'll be traded or released Reply with quote

Former starting RB Matt Jones absent from Redskins Park, awaiting trade or release

Jones was notified he'll be traded or released so he's choosing to stay away From Redskins park. Instead he is working out in Florida. This is just plain DUMB on the skins' part! The skins should have him in the offseason program, in training camp and showcase him against 2nd and 3rd teamers in the preseason so they can hopefully trade him in Aug if he has a good preseason. If not, release him at final cuts.

Quote:
A person familiar with Jones’s situation said the third-year pro has opted against reporting to Redskins Park because members of the coaching staff told him he’s no longer a part of the team’s plans following the ascension of Rob Kelley and the drafting of Samaje Perine.

It remains to be seen what Jones will do about the mandatory full-squad minicamp from June 13-15, but Gruden said last week he had “better” attend.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/05/30/former-starting-rb-matt-jones-absent-from-redskins-park-awaiting-trade-or-release/?utm_term=.0dfea51412d9

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sig by Mike23md

"Don't need the accolades, just need the acknowledgement"
lavar703

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah teams have all the film on him they need. He fumbles, a lot. That's all they need to know about him.
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be quite surprised if we trade him for anything more than a 5th round pick. Frankly, I don't see anyone but potentially Cleveland taking a flyer on him cause they need a RB. Maybe even Baltimore or the Jets.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect him to be cut and out of football entirely within 2 years.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
I will be quite surprised if we trade him for anything more than a 5th round pick. Frankly, I don't see anyone but potentially Cleveland taking a flyer on him cause they need a RB. Maybe even Baltimore or the Jets.
I think the only way we would get a draft pick for him is if they keep him through training camp and preseason and he looks good in the preseason. I absolutely believe that Jones would look amazing against back ups - like many of our young running backs have over the last decade - in preseason and some team would want to trade for him after he looks good vs back ups and players that aren't even going to make an NFL roster.

I've thought that the Jets could be a destination for him. If Jones stays healthy and gets carries all year - YES HUGE IF'S - he's capable of going over 1,000 yards and maybe over 1,200.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
he's capable of going over 1,000 yards and maybe over 1,200.
No, he isn't.

MikeT14

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
If Jones stays healthy and gets carries all year - YES HUGE IF'S - he's capable of going over 1,000 yards and maybe over 1,200.

Gets carries all year? What's carries? 200? 300? 400? 600? 1000?

- mike23md

D.C. Sports: Hope is fine, but believing is where we screw up.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
If Jones stays healthy and gets carries all year - YES HUGE IF'S - he's capable of going over 1,000 yards and maybe over 1,200.

Gets carries all year? What's carries? 200? 300? 400? 600? 1000?
I said it because he has that kind of talent which is why McCloughan drafted him in the 3rd round over guy's like Langford from Michigan State. He has a problem with fumbles and vision which he'll probably never get over because every time he fumbles or misses a hole coaches doubt him and I'm sure he loses confidence in himself.

That being said, "the HUGE IF" is if he ever got past those issues and got 265 to 300 carries as a starter with a decent run blocking OL in front of him like last year's skins OL he has the potential to go over 1,000 yards.

Take away the poor game vs Detroit last year and he wasn't having a poor year. It wasn't necessarily great but it wast poor either. I'll always believe that if he had gotten his carries plus Kelley's carries the final 9 games that he would have went over 1,000 yards and had 8 or 9 games.

It's a shame he had a horrible fumble vs Detroit, taking on two defenders while trying to score but it is what it is. I'm more than satisfied with Kelley and Perine going forward and likely cutting Jones. I just don't see the point in cutting jones in June, to me it makes much more sense to try to get something for him in August and we may have an injury and could need him as insurance.

Last edited by turtle28 on Wed May 31, 2017 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
No, he isn't.
Talent wise he is, that doesn't mean it will ever happen.

MKnight82

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
No, he isn't.
I have no idea what you mean when you say he's talented. He has never shown the talent to play in the NFL. He's a bad RB who has terrible vision and fumble issues. If you mean he's a big guy who can run fast, sure he's a good athlete. He certainly isn't a talented football player though.

turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
No, he isn't.
I have no idea what you mean when you say he's talented. He has never shown the talent to play in the NFL. He's a bad RB who has terrible vision and fumble issues. If you mean he's a big guy who can run fast, sure he's a good athlete. He certainly isn't a talented football player though.
If he's a big guy who can run fast he has god given natural talent, but of course that doesn't mean he'll be a good football player.

I'm glad you finally comprehended my point. Wink

I don't think he'll ever be what McCloughan thought he would be or even a 1,000 yard back but anything is possible given that he's big and fast.

DCRED

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh.... All those awesome Matt Jones jerseys I'll probably have to give away.....
Oh wait... I don't have any... No worries

So.... all those "hold onto the football while you walk around the complex" drills must be pretty embarrassing about now, but at least he got paid pretty well while he played. I wish him well, he's a good dude.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

‪Matt Jones fifth-string on Redskins' RB depth chart - NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000812549/article/matt-jones-fifthstring-on-redskins-rb-depth-chart‬

I guess if you go by the way last year finished with him being our 4th string back and then us drafting Perine, it would make sense for him to be the 5th string back but I just don't know why Gruden would say that to him. From what Gruden has said it seems that he wants Matt to show up and compete for his job. When asked if Jones will be at mandatory minicamp, Gruden's response was, "He better be!"

mar29020

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jones seems like a whiny baby. Redskins should stick it to him and wait to cut him until the 4th preseason game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: