Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tyler 735 Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Tyler 735 Mock Draft Reply with quote

Figured I'd put up a mock before the draft. So in my ideal scenario...Which may be very possible at this point, I have the Cleveland Browns trading both their 1st round picks to us so they can draft Mariota at pick number 5. If we can pull this off I'd be extremely happy as there is all sorts of talent available in the 10-20 range which is where both of the Browns 1st round picks happen to be. **I understand that some of these picks might be a bit optimistic, but like we see every year...Crazy unexpected things happen on draft day**

1. (Pick 12)- Brandon Scherff RT/OG Iowa:

It's no secret our Offensive Line has left a lot to be desired the past few seasons. Scherff is a guy that could step in day 1 and make an impact at RT or Guard for us and instantly provide an upgrade to our O-Line. I think he's got potential to be a great starter for years to come at either guard or tackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbEVSq1Gb6c

1. (Pick 19)- Malcom Brown DT Texas:

Brown is a guy that won't make much of an impact as a rookie since we just signed Paea/Knighton, and still have Hatcher. That being said Knighton is on a 1 year contract, and Hatcher is a few years on the wrong side of 30, so this is a pick that could pay off for us quite a bit down the road. Malcom Brown has very good quickness for a guy that is 320+lbs. He is versatile enough to move into some different spots on the line in a 3-4 scheme for us. He displayed good pass rush ability at Texas, and has a big frame to clog up running lanes. He may never be a pro bowl type player in the NFL, but I expect him to be a good starting caliber D-Lineman for years to come in the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZPugCCguU

2. Benardrick McKinney ILB Mississippi State:

Last season Keenan Robinson showed flashes of becoming a very good starter for us, but unfortunately the same could not be said for Perry Riley, who continues to be a liability in coverage. McKinney is another versatile player, who brings lots of range and athleticism at the ILB spot. He very well could start for us as a rookie as ILB's seem to adjust to the NFL fairly fast compared to other positions. I thought about going Denzel Perryman here, but McKinney just seems to fit better as a 3 down ILB. McKinney has shown better coverage ability and seems to make more plays in the backfield. That said if we did draft Perryman I'd be happy too even though he is more of a old school thumper type ILB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7cBjarSjfw

3. Chris Conley WR Georgia:

I know this pick is going to have some of you in cahoots, but as many witnessed at the combine he is an absolute freak. Typically this is frowned upon to shoot a guy up your draft board based upon someone coming out of nowhere and putting up big numbers at the combine...BUT there are also times such as in this case where it can also make you go look at the tape and take a closer look at the prospect. Here is my take on what I saw when I watched a few of his games/highlights at Georgia..I saw a WR in Conley who wasn't utilized nearly as much as he should have been due to the fact that Georgia is a run heavy team (Todd Gurley/Nick Chubb have that effect). However when Conley was utilized, he displayed several enticing traits that show up regularly. A few things that pop out instantly when watching him:

*He has the speed to beat CB's and score from anywhere on the field...Basically that 4.35 40 time he ran also shows up on film.

*He does a great job adjusting to the ball in the air, and shows an absolutely huge catch radius...On top of that he showed on multiple occasions the ability to make some insanely acrobatic catches.

*He showed good quickness in and out of his breaks. That said his route running was inconsistent at, but he certainly has the skills/athleticism necessary to improve in this regard with experience.

Basically when I saw him play he showed immense potential. Taking him in the 3rd round could be a huge payoff for us down the road with very little risk involved, as he would be able to learn behind Garcon/Jackson/Roberts this season. Conley has several traits that could allow him to develop into a legit number 1 WR in the future. At the very worst I see him being a Justin Hunter type player where he will be effective as a deep threat/jump ball WR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4fbcN54bOQ

4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon:

This might be a bit optimistic as this guy just a few months ago was considered among the best CB's in the class, but given the fact that he is a bit undersized, and is coming off an ACL injury...He could slip in the draft. If we could get him in the 4th, he would be a tremendous value. He displays a lot of similarities to Tyrann Mathieu as he is much more physical than his size would indicate, and is simply a playmaker on defense. Like Mathieu I think Olomu could transition into more of a Safety role in the NFL, but still has plenty of potential to play at CB as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4mny0hRIx0

5. Gerod Holliman Louisville FS:

Holliman is one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft. He leaves a lot to be desired in the run game, but he may be the biggest ball hawk in the draft. Holliman performed worse than expected at his Pro Day (On tape he looks much more fluid and faster than his Pro Day numbers would indicate), and has seen his draft stock tumble since then...That said in the 5th round we either could be getting Bacarri Rambo part 2, or Holliman could prove to be the next Deon Grant at Safety, where he is a complete ball hawk, but a bit of a liability in the run game..He can make the big hit, but is inconsistent tackling. It should also be mentioned that he completely abused the likely number 1 pick in the draft Jameis Winston intercepting him multiple times. If he can continue his ball hawking success in the NFL, his inconsistent tackling could be overlooked a bit as this is becoming more of a passing league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3mUlJZh-5Q

6. Nick O'Leary Florida State TE:

O'Leary is a guy that could provide some nice depth for us at TE. He has more reliable hands than Paulson, and has the frame to be a solid blocker in the NFL as well. He tested a bit worse than expected at the combine, but is athletic enough to make an impact in the passing game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_xnvjLWHsA

7. Karlos Williams Florida State RB/KR/Safety:

Karlos Williams is an absolute freak of an athlete. He played Safety early in his FSU career then switched to RB for his Junior/Senior seasons. He is raw, but his athleticism whether he plays RB or Safety is among the best at either position in this draft. There are two main things that define Williams as a player whether he is playing offense/defense/special teams...He's way faster than a guy his size should be, and he is a violent hitter. He seeks contact at RB and looks to punish defenders that get in his way. At RB he is raw as mentioned before, but he shows great speed/burst, is a nightmare to tackle in the open field, and has pretty solid hands out of the backfield. He has experience as a kick returner, and could potentially help us out at there as a rookie. We lost Helu, so I think Williams could help a bit spelling Morris for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_AP6G4jlE
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleveland isn't going to trade both their first round picks. I think it's very unlikely this draft happens. I also think you've over drafted Conley by at least a round, more likely two. I think it's most likely he goes in round 5.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole trade thing is hard to predict, but it certainly is possible that a team like Cleveland would part ways with 2 firsts to draft Mariota if they feel he is a franchise QB. Regardless I wouldn't be disappointed if we took Scherff at 5 as he would be a huge asset to our OL for years to come.

As for Conley, I will be VERY surprised if he makes it past the 3rd round. There simply aren't many WR's with his measureables and potential.

Here's a pretty good read on Conley
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2406013-nfl-scouting-combine-star-chris-conley-more-than-just-a-great-athlete

Last edited by tyler735 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
th3victors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not high on McKinney at all for a 37th overall. There should be an Olineman who is a much better prospect. Like Riley, I think he struggles in coverage. I would rather have Perryman in the 3rd as they both struggle in coverage. Holiman is going to bust IMO. Dude bites on every play action, good move by a WR, and/ or look off by the QB. Conley is a talented guy, but a WR at this point is useless (unless Funchess slips)

I also don't see the trade happening. But who knows, the browns seem desperate, and Farmar has to be worried about his job after Manziel.

I love me some Ifo, hopefully we can get our hands on him. Solid work, thanks for the mock!
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

th3victors wrote:
Not high on McKinney at all for a 37th overall. There should be an Olineman who is a much better prospect. Like Riley, I think he struggles in coverage. I would rather have Perryman in the 3rd as they both struggle in coverage. Holiman is going to bust IMO. Dude bites on every play action, good move by a WR, and/ or look off by the QB. Conley is a talented guy, but a WR at this point is useless (unless Funchess slips)

I also don't see the trade happening. But who knows, the browns seem desperate, and Farmar has to be worried about his job after Manziel.

I love me some Ifo, hopefully we can get our hands on him. Solid work, thanks for the mock!

I like Perryman as well and would be happy to have him, but I think McKinney is better in coverage and provides a bit more range. Either player is an upgrade over Riley.

Holiman may bust he definitely does gamble some, but as evidenced by his INT total and Pass Breakup total he makes a lot of good decisions in coverage. I understand if you don't like him in run support, but I think you are selling him short in coverage.

Conley I don't think is a waste at all. If Garcon has another down season, we likely part ways with him next year as his cap figure is pretty high, so if we can take a highly talented WR like Conley to groom as a rookie I don't see that as a waste at all as he could help us quite a bit in the coming years. Curious as to why you mention WR being useless unless Funchess slips though?
th3victors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
th3victors wrote:

I like Perryman as well and would be happy to have him, but I think McKinney is better in coverage and provides a bit more range. Either player is an upgrade over Riley.

Holiman may bust he definitely does gamble some, but as evidenced by his INT total and Pass Breakup total he makes a lot of good decisions in coverage. I understand if you don't like him in run support, but I think you are selling him short in coverage.

Conley I don't think is a waste at all. If Garcon has another down season, we likely part ways with him next year as his cap figure is pretty high, so if we can take a highly talented WR like Conley to groom as a rookie I don't see that as a waste at all as he could help us quite a bit in the coming years. Curious as to why you mention WR being useless unless Funchess slips though?

Fair question, I guess it essentially comes down to value. If you switch Dorsett, Agholor, or Fucnhess to the 3rd and Ifo in the forth I don't have a problem. I just don't think Conley will be a great NFl WR. I think SEC talent is overvalued and I don't think he can handle NFL physicality to produce on the outside. I see him ending up in the slot (which isn't as negative as the connotations imply btw)

Another reason I don't like the pick is because I think there is a fair balance between need and vale. Wr isa luxury for us at the moment. Pass rusher, RT, OG, (young) talent on the DLine, CB, Safety and ILB are all needs ahead of WR. WR is a need comparable to 3rd down back for me. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Too many needs at the moment to justify a reach, but I do understand a differing opinion on prospects. I'm just not that high on Conley in comparison to other guys in the draft Smile
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

th3victors wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
th3victors wrote:

Fair question, I guess it essentially comes down to value. If you switch Dorsett, Agholor, or Fucnhess to the 3rd and Ifo in the forth I don't have a problem. I just don't think Conley will be a great NFl WR. I think SEC talent is overvalued and I don't think he can handle NFL physicality to produce on the outside. I see him ending up in the slot (which isn't as negative as the connotations imply btw)

Another reason I don't like the pick is because I think there is a fair balance between need and vale. Wr isa luxury for us at the moment. Pass rusher, RT, OG, (young) talent on the DLine, CB, Safety and ILB are all needs ahead of WR. WR is a need comparable to 3rd down back for me. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Too many needs at the moment to justify a reach, but I do understand a differing opinion on prospects. I'm just not that high on Conley in comparison to other guys in the draft Smile

Fair enough a prospect like Conley is going to generate a lot of different opinions as he does have limited tape to look at. He certainly is going to have to improve at the LOS to beat press coverage, but he does possess the size and strength to improve in that area.

As for needs, I definitely agree that we need help on the O-Line, which is why I'd be jumping for joy if we can land Scherff. I do have high hopes for Spencer Long this season to help us at Guard. We have done a lot this offseason to address the D-Line, so if a guy falls into our laps I'm okay with taking him if he's the BPA, but otherwise it's not really much of a need right now in my eyes. Our D-Line should play at a very high level this year, which should help our Pass Rush quite a bit, I expect Murphy/Kerrigan to benefit quite a bit from this. At CB I think we aren't looking too bad, Breeland has a ton of talent to be a good CB, Culliver was signed, and we still have Amerson. That said if a guy like IFO is there in the 4th, I'd jump on that immediately as he could be a good slot CB or even potentially make the move to Safety like Tyrann Mathieu. Wish the Safety's in this draft class were better. There really aren't any I think are going to be good players from this class (Collins I think will be a solid starter, but overdrafted in the 1st) unless a guy like IFO or Byron Jones makes the switch to Safety. At ILB we definitely have a need, and I think we can address that pretty easily in this draft as there are some good prospects this year (McKinney, Kendricks, Perryman).
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Mayock say McKinney looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. I saw on draftek where they have him in round 3 now...

Draftek has the Redskins passing on McKinney in both round 2 & round 3. McKinney falls to the Bears in round 3.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I heard Mayock say McKinney looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. I saw on draftek where they have him in round 3 now...

Draftek has the Redskins passing on McKinney in both round 2 & round 3. McKinney falls to the Bears in round 3.

I doubt McKinney makes it past the 2nd. He is far too versatile, and has the athleticism/size that teams look for. I don't agree with Mayock on that one. Sure he isn't the physical player that a guy like Perryman is for example, but McKinney makes plays sideline to sideline, and has shown the ability to blitz the QB, and make plays on ball carriers in the backfield at Miss St. We would be foolish to pass on him if for some reason he did make it to the 3rd round, and honestly I'd be pretty happy if we took him in the 2nd.
th3victors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd venture as far as saying Dawson is better as well. I see Dawson as a Vontaze Burfict, both knuckleheads who ball out vs the run. I don't see any great ILB prospects this draft. Heck getting Taiwan Jones in the 5th is barely a drop off
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any great ILB's in this draft either, but I do see several guys that can be good starters for several years. Dawson is certainly good, but the character concerns are a bit troubling. If we could get him in the 4th/5th I'd jump on it, but there is no way I'm using a 2nd or 3rd with the character concerns especially when there are several other talented ILB's on the board still. Can't say I agree about Taiwan Jones. I think there is a noticeable talent drop there.
th3victors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
I don't see any great ILB's in this draft either, but I do see several guys that can be good starters for several years. Dawson is certainly good, but the character concerns are a bit troubling. If we could get him in the 4th/5th I'd jump on it, but there is no way I'm using a 2nd or 3rd with the character concerns especially when there are several other talented ILB's on the board still. Can't say I agree about Taiwan Jones. I think there is a noticeable talent drop there.

I'm against any ILB in the second PERIOD tbh. None of them are quality enough prospects. Probably much better OL, DB, or WR talent.

What's wrong with Taiwain Jones in your eyes? I actually would rather have him in the 5th than McKinney in the 2nd... Don't see much of a difference in terms of tape except physical gifts. One seems to use his to the max, while the other seems soft and timid
tyler735

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

th3victors wrote:
tyler735 wrote:

I'm against any ILB in the second PERIOD tbh. None of them are quality enough prospects. Probably much better OL, DB, or WR talent.

What's wrong with Taiwain Jones in your eyes? I actually would rather have him in the 5th than McKinney in the 2nd... Don't see much of a difference in terms of tape except physical gifts. One seems to use his to the max, while the other seems soft and timid

Taiwan Jones is limited athletically. He is purely a 2 down thumper. Would be a liability on passing downs in coverage. McKinney has shown the ability to line up at different LB spots, and has shown he can be effective as a pass rusher. McKinney has also shown to be more disciplined in the run game as Jones has a tendency to overrun plays. McKinney also has a higher ceiling as far as potential with the athletic advantages.

I do think that a guy like Perryman in the 3rd would be a solid route to take as well if we decide to go elsewhere in the 2nd round.
th3victors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
th3victors wrote:
tyler735 wrote:

Taiwan Jones is limited athletically. He is purely a 2 down thumper. Would be a liability on passing downs in coverage. McKinney has shown the ability to line up at different LB spots, and has shown he can be effective as a pass rusher. McKinney has also shown to be more disciplined in the run game as Jones has a tendency to overrun plays. McKinney also has a higher ceiling as far as potential with the athletic advantages.

I do think that a guy like Perryman in the 3rd would be a solid route to take as well if we decide to go elsewhere in the 2nd round.

Just as athletic as Teo and Borland, but maybe he is a little stiffer.

I don't really like him, but I like the price that can be had on him. You know, opportunity costs and such. We'll know soon enough Very Happy
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maryland defensive tackle Darius Kilgo has visited Bills, Redskins, Packers, Dolphins http://fw.to/ws2OwRc

Darius Kilgo from UMD would be a good late round pick for the skins. He's a big boy, but also athletic as he's had 4.5 sacks over the past two seasons at UMD. He'd be a good NT to take late in the draft and develop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: