Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1991 Redskins Rank as #1 SB Winning team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: 1991 Redskins Rank as #1 SB Winning team Reply with quote

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/best-super-bowl-team-winner-ranking-best-nfl-team-ever-super-bowl-50-redskins-49ers-cowboys-packers-patriots

I keep telling you younger guys how special that team was. They break it down here.

Quote:
Criminally underrated, the ’91 Skins were one halftime Hail Mary and a lineman-eligible drop in the end zone during a meaningless Week 17 game from being undefeated. They have the second-highest point differential of any Super Bowl champion. They had 50 sacks and Mark Rypien, who started all 16 games, was sacked just seven times. (Tom Brady was sacked four times on Sunday alone.) They played a tougher schedule than any team in the top 10 of this list (they’re the only team whose opponents had a collective record of .500 or better). They ran through the NFC playoffs by a score of 65-17 and were whupping up on Buffalo 37-10 in the Super Bowl when they took the foot off the gas and allowed Buffalo two garbage-time TDs. (At the same pint the ‘Skins were doing that, the ’85 Bears were running it up by giving The Fridge a Super Bowl touchdown.) Don Beebe, who played on four straight Super Bowl teams with the Bills, said this Redskins team was the best he’d ever seen.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man!!!
I vaguely remember seeing Theismann play when I was a kid.

But it was this group that got me Hooked as a Redskins Fan!
They scored points AT WILL!

Monk, Clark, Sanders, Byner were just unstoppable. Monk catching everything within 15 yards but then Clark would go Nuts down the sideline for a crazy bomb or Sanders would catch a seam pass and just Rocket to the end Zone... Was Fun Times!

Glad to see them getting some proper recognition
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 91' Redskins are the greatest NFL team of all-time. I honestly wish I would've been an bit older to appreciate it more. There's only so much an 6-year old can take from an football game lol.
ripsean21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 2! I missed the glory days and I'm hoping we can become something close to that again! My dad and mom used to always brag about how they went to the we want dallas NFC Championship game. They always talked about how awsome those teams were and how together they played! It's awesome to know we were one of the greatest teams at one point in history! I was born into a house where the redskins don't stop just because the season ended and I'm hoping for all the young giys who missed it we can have our day! Also for the guys who did see it who know what a good team looks like to see this team come from there to the bad ive seen my whole life back to glory.

Thanks Mike23md for the sig!!!
Adopt a Redskin Matt Jones- 63 carries- 249 rush yards- 3 rush TD's- 7 receptions- 62 reception yards- 0 reception TD's Too many fumbles!!!!
PSID412

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first ever NFL game I ever saw was the week 6 game of that 1991 season and at that moment I became a Redskins fan. It's amazing to think that team was that good yet probably never get the praise it's probably deserves.

^ Awesome sig by Mike23md
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Redskins Rank as #1 SB Winning team Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/best-super-bowl-team-winner-ranking-best-nfl-team-ever-super-bowl-50-redskins-49ers-cowboys-packers-patriots

I keep telling you younger guys how special that team was. They break it down here.

Quote:
Criminally underrated, the ’91 Skins were one halftime Hail Mary and a lineman-eligible drop in the end zone during a meaningless Week 17 game from being undefeated. They have the second-highest point differential of any Super Bowl champion. They had 50 sacks and Mark Rypien, who started all 16 games, was sacked just seven times. (Tom Brady was sacked four times on Sunday alone.) They played a tougher schedule than any team in the top 10 of this list (they’re the only team whose opponents had a collective record of .500 or better). They ran through the NFC playoffs by a score of 65-17 and were whupping up on Buffalo 37-10 in the Super Bowl when they took the foot off the gas and allowed Buffalo two garbage-time TDs. (At the same pint the ‘Skins were doing that, the ’85 Bears were running it up by giving The Fridge a Super Bowl touchdown.) Don Beebe, who played on four straight Super Bowl teams with the Bills, said this Redskins team was the best he’d ever seen.

That was a very special team. But I will argue all day that the 1983 team that lost the Super Bowl to the Raiders was the best Redskins team ever.

1983 team had the best offense the NFL had ever seen to that point, scoring 541 points in the regular season which was an NFL record until the Vikings of the mid 90s beat them. Their D allowed more points than 1991 but they were also +49 in turnovers which is unheard of. They trounced the Rams in the Divisional round of the playoffs 51-7 and were heavy favorites to repeat as super bowl champs.

Honestly, I've heard a lot of crazy stuff about Tampa the week leading up to the game. Apparently Joey T's wife found him in bed with a starlet the night before the game. Most of the players were out partying all week while the raiders stayed in. And their play on the field suffered. It was the end of that great lineup. Joe Theisman was out of football just two years later, Riggins retired for good the same year and it was over for a lot of that group.

But I will argue forever that they were the best Redskins team of my lifetime. Edging out the 91 team.

The big thing about the 1991 team was that they were unexpected. People thought the skins were going to have a down year They looked awful in pre season and when they opened the season agains the Sanders-less Lions with a 45-0 win it blew the doors off the town. There were tons of doubters who said "well, with Barry sanders the lions could have won" we proved that wrong in the playoffs with a 41-10 win agains the same team.

Hell that first game went so well that the skins drove to the 1 yard line and kneeled four times to give the lions the ball back without scoring points.

Both teams are pretty amazing. But My money is on Riggo and Joey Sunshine if they ever played eachother.

The 1983 team is the Redskins version of the 2007 Patriots.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that! Bout time they got some respect

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TXsteeler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that team won the Superbowl on January 26th, and then i was born on february 14th, good month for my parents. Too bad they fell off, i never really got into football until much later and didn't like the Redskins too much by then.

The year i move out of Southern MD (2012) they have their best year since, kinda funny. Now that im back though they have another good year, maybe this time around it'll be different. I am glad to see the Redskins do well though, when i lived in Houston they were boring to listen to on the radio, and the year i spent in Dallas wasn't bad but the Redskins have a certain level of something special that makes me think they might turn it around finally, plus the caps are killing it so atleast i have something positive to listen to on my hour long commute.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.redskins.com/news-and-events/blog/article-1/This-Day-In-History-The-Redskins-Win-Their-First-Super-Bowl-/478b623a-6b2c-4b60-ae80-700e4ce10050

On this date the Redskins won their first Super Bowl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
big44dog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That team was a wrecking machine in all 3 phases. I was 12 that year and watched the season highlight tape almost daily for a long time. Damn Cowboys Hail Mary, and then rested starters in a 24-22 loss to philly last week of season. 83 I was only 4 and don't remember it week to week like the 91 squad. Lachey, Mackenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, Jacoby, and hall of farmer Grimm as a swing guy. Don't get much better up front.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
That team was a wrecking machine in all 3 phases. I was 12 that year and watched the season highlight tape almost daily for a long time. Damn Cowboys Hail Mary, and then rested starters in a 24-22 loss to philly last week of season. 83 I was only 4 and don't remember it week to week like the 91 squad. Lachey, Mackenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, Jacoby, and hall of farmer Grimm as a swing guy. Don't get much better up front.
Same with me. I was in the 6th grade.

redskins4life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into football that '83 year, moving away from soccer. I was in 5th grade! I began liking the Redskins at the same time & lost 50 cents on a bet in that Super Bowl. Through those winning years with Joe Gibbs 1.0, I've enjoyed a lot of great Redskins games. The most memorable ones for me were playing the Ditka Bears in the fog. And of course, I always like those games against the Tony Dorsette & Danny White led Cowboys on those cold game days!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: