You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

To Bill or not to Bill that is the question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigben7-90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: To Bill or not to Bill that is the question Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity how many of you people think that bill cowher's a good coach even though he lost the AFc Championship. I'm sure Retire Cowher will disagree about keeping coach cowher, but hey the kid's opinion is all that matters.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowher is a very good HC. At the end of last season I thought he may have outstayed his welcome and the time was right to appoint Mike Mularkey as HC. I don't mean that to sound like I didn't rate his coaching ability just that the team may have gone stale (much like the Giants did with Fassel). However he proved me wrong and made some tough calls ie firing Lewis and cutting Washington and Gildon.

He made an inspired choice in getting - LeBeau (I cant believe his first name is blanked out!) back as DC. I'm not convinced about Ken Whisenhunt yet as OC and if the passing game doesn't improve next year we could be on the lookout for a new OC (Norm Chow anyone?).

I don't wish to ramble on so I'll make the rest of this as brief as possible. Cowher deserves at least a couple more seasons as HC. In 2 years time if the Steelers haven't won at least the AFC championship he could quit as HC - I doubt Rooney will fire him. Should he leave his post earlier than expected, Russ Grimm is the top candidate for the job.
SteelerCntry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been an off and on again Bill fan. He is a great guy, a true Black and Gold Pittsburgher, he motivates his guys, and I think the team likes playing for him. It just seems that he is not the greatest game day coach, and sometimes makes bad calls in the heat of the moment.

Here is my take. First, I hope Russ Grimm gets an opportunity to become a head coach somewhere, I think he has earned an opportunity. He may not be coordinator material, but with the right people around him would be a good head coach. Second, my biggest concern about Bill Cower is that he does not seem to follow the cardinal rule of successful organizations; if you are in a leadership position always try to surround yourself with people that make you a better leader(i.e. have more experience, are smarter, better at problem solving, etc.) I think he has to be in total control all of the time as exemplified by both situations with Mike M. and Tom D. from the Bills. I think he took a big step this year, but still needs to improve on this to get to the next level. Bill B. has been argued as the best head coach in pro sports, yet he seems to successfully employ this philosophy, and as a result wins the big games consistently.

I think Cower reminds me of Al Pachino's character in "Any given Sunday"; the guy who has been around forever, but can't get past the big one, but in the end realizes his faults and makes the necessary changes to become successful. I hope he continues to progress as a leader and realizes he can't do everything and continues to surround himself and his players with other coaches who are not simply yes men, but bring unique attitudes and ideas to the table. He is also not the best judge of talent and the team needs somebody (scout or Player personal guy) who excels in this area.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COWHER MUST GO!!!!!
How many years do you waste on on guy trying to win the big one?10years? 15 years? 20 years? If Cowher hasn't been able to get it done in as many years as he has been the head coach of the Steelers, do you really think that he will?
GET REAL!
I feel that this oranization is afraid of change. Show me another organization in todays NFL that would waste 10 to 20 years on one coach trying to get over that hump?
When a boxing trainer teaches a fighter everything that he knows and that fighter can't win the belt, either the fighter must fire the trainer or the trainer must do what's best for the fighter and step down. Cowher will never do what's best for his "fighters".
It's all about Cowher!

LETS GO, LETS GO! Give me a break.
COWHER MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!
Canada

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do we get to replace him?
Won't the new HC want to bring in his own assistants?

Lots of questions.

We went from 6-10 to 15-1 in one season and almost made a trip to the SB with a Rookie QB.
It seems like if we would of went from 6-10 to 10-6 people would of been happier.

I hear what the Anti-Cowher guys are saying though.
HinesWardIsTheMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=kamenetzky/050125&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

It explains who the coach of the pittsburgh steeler's is gonna be....

lol just kiddin i think cowher will stay with the steelers for a while.
Shooters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Cowher does not have a good Championship game record, he has rebuilt this team in short amounts of time into a pretty consistent winner. Like Canada said, who do you replace him with AND this is a coach that has led this team to a 15-1 record with a rookie QB.

Cowher has evolved. His style is beggining to change to meet new challenges. At one time a starter never lost his job due to injury. That is not the case anymore, see Chad Scott and Tommy Maddox for example. In the past Cowher has been slow to dump aging vets for better/younger players. This has been arecent change as well. See Deshea Townsend, Hope and Polamalu for starters.

Not only did Cowher go 15-1 with a rookie QB, he also went 15-1 with a new OC and a new DC. Eventhough LeBeau is the father of the zone blitz, he had to basically rebuild it again. Over the years, the Steeler defense lost it's aggresivness and ability to make big plays. This Steeler defense played great all year and it wasn't till the Championship game where the Defense had a let down or 3.

I like what Cowher did this year with a young team. He seems to have learned from lessons past and I believe that better things are in store for the Steelers.
RetireCowher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm Chow...Schwartz from the Titans...anybody w/ the last name Stoops...anybody who has shown the ability to adjust a gameplan when Plan A is not working...anyone that doesn't exhibit blind loyalty to veteran players at the cost of his team, his fans, and the younger, more promising players sitting the bench.

Bill Cowher is a glorified PE coach... get him out of Pburgh!!!
Shooters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RetireCowher wrote:
Norm Chow...Schwartz from the Titans...anybody w/ the last name Stoops...anybody who has shown the ability to adjust a gameplan when Plan A is not working...anyone that doesn't exhibit blind loyalty to veteran players at the cost of his team, his fans, and the younger, more promising players sitting the bench.

Bill Cowher is a glorified PE coach... get him out of Pburgh!!!

I disagree.

None of those guys have proven anything, Chow and Stoops are college coaches and we ALL know how well college coaches have made it in the NFL. Jimmy Johnson is the only one to successfully jump from the college ranks to the NFL. He also did it pre cap era.

As I said before, he has changed his mo of blind loyalty. If what you said were still true, Chad Scott, Maddox and Bell would have been starters after their injuries healed. Mike Logan would have been the starter until he was lost for the season. Brent Alexander and Dwayne Washington would still be here.

I trust the Rooneys would make a change if they felt change was necessary.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rooneys will wait a least 2 years after Cowher has died to replace him.
They are petrified of looking for another coach.
Thay know what they have with him. A guy that will say the right things, yell "Lets Go, Lets Go" on the side lines, get a decent team out on the field and come up short when it counts.

If thats good enough for the Rooneys, than all Steeler fans will have to live with it.

COWHER MUST GO!!!!!!!!
Shooters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it possibly be that two teams were better than the Steelers? The 1997 Bronco's and 2004 Patriots?

The Charger game should have been won. They made what, two plays all game and both went for long TDs. Plus O'Donnell was late with a potential game winning throw to Barry Foster.

The Super Bowl, the losses to Denver and New England were more the result of PLAYERS not making the plays. Denver with Stewart and his 3 costly picks, Stewart again vs NE in 2001. Add to that game fatal miscues by Troy Edwards and Mike Schneck.

This year a ROOKIE succumbed to the pressure of the big game. The Coach did not throw those picks. The conservitive game calling was a result of trying NOT to put the game in the rookies hands.

I just do not agree a coaching change is necessary. After 2001, I felt differently. That year he had the better team, a veteran team. They came out flat and not focused. That's coaching.

This year, he did his best coaching job IMO.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget SuperBowl XXX against the Cowboys. Don't tell me that Cowher out coached Barry Switzer.

Cowher will NEVER win the big game!
If Cowher didn't want the game in the rookies hands he shouldn't have the rookie in the game PERIOD!

Shooter,
How long are you willing to give this guy to win the big one?
15, 20 years?
Just wondering.
Shooters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs of war wrote:
Don't forget SuperBowl XXX against the Cowboys. Don't tell me that Cowher out coached Barry Switzer.

Cowher will NEVER win the big game!
If Cowher didn't want the game in the rookies hands he shouldn't have the rookie in the game PERIOD!

Shooter,
How long are you willing to give this guy to win the big one?
15, 20 years?
Just wondering.

The Steelers had a chance to win that game, which O'Donnell threw away.

So, all of a sudden, you are going to bench Roethlisberger before the Championship game? I don't think so. He did what most coaches would do, especially after seening his rookie QB struggle in the playoff game before. Become conservitive.

Look, I hated the run up the gut on the 4th down play. And the 3rd down run then FG vs going for it on 4th down.

Cowher is not a great coach but, he has done a good enough job to warrent another season. He's proven to me that he's broken free from some of his stubbornness. I will give him the benefit of the doubt this year.

If you would have told me this team would be 15-1 and played in the championshp game, back in July, I would think you were crazy. I felt this was a playoff team with Maddox at QB. Had you told me Roethlisberger were to be the QB for 14 of those games, I'd guess we'd be 7-9 at best.

I understand your frustration and can see your point of view. I'm just not about to tear apart a 15-1 team just because the coach is now 1-4 in Championship games since 1994.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how long are YOU willing to give this guy? Question
Canada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 6-10 to 15-1 and one game away from the SB with a Rookie QB and now lets get rid of Cowher?

Am I missing something?

IMO you have to give the guy another shot.

We got beat by the Pats in both games. Plain and simple. They executed, we didn't.
If we go coughing up the ball the way we did ANY team will beat the buhjeezus out of us.

I'm wondering.....How many wanted to fire Cowher when the regular season was over?

When we dismantled NE and Philly earlier in the year, how many were screaming for Cowher's head???

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: