You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowher and the Steelers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shooters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Cowher and the Steelers Reply with quote

During Cowher's press conferance yesterday he mentioned that they'd like to keep Burress but, yesterday was not the time to get into those discussions. He did say they had a good talk and would talk again.

Roethlisbergers toes were not broken. He did break them in college and he aggravated the injury during the Patriots game.

Cowher also does not anticipate losing any of his assistants. That's a good thing.

It was also interesting to hear Cowher talk about this team and how close they became. Each year is different though and it will be hard to recapture that closeness next year. Mainly due to the fact there will be new dynamics based on new faces. Can they come together again? They sure can.

Gerry Dulac mentioned to Stan Savran that Chad Scott is a likely cut, he doesn't expect to see Keydrick Vincent back as he will want to start somewhere else. Kendell Simmons will return as the starter. Dulac also mentioned that Oliver Ross could return but, would probably back up Max Starks.
RetireCowher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simmons is a human turnstyle...we would do better to sign Vincent and cut Simmons.
Shooters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RetireCowher wrote:
Simmons is a human turnstyle...we would do better to sign Vincent and cut Simmons.

YOu have him mistaken with Todd Fordham. Simmons was a monster in training camp before his injury. The previous year, he was only about 70% healthy due to illness.

Simmons will only make that line better IMO.
SteelerCntry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chad Scott should be offered a contract restructure to stay as a nickel db, he can still hit and occasionally come up with a big pick, even if he can't cover his own shadow.

Oliver Ross would be a good back-up OT, but not a starter if another team wants to give him starter $$, they should not match and let him go(like they failed to do last time).

In my opinion, Vincent has proven himself to be a valuable part of this team and the OL. In everything I have read throughout the season, he has really rededicated himself to becoming a powerful starting OG in this league. I like him and think they should keep him (if it is around 2.5 million a year).

Simmons impressed the hell out of me this year in both the way he came back with strength and speed after being diagnosed with diabetes, and his superior performance during the preseason(before he was hurt). Last year during the end of the season, after all hope was lost, Mark Madden and Eddy B. had discussed, on numerous occasions, his possible switch to center. He is built in the Dawson frame (6'3" 310#), and I think would be great (Pro Bowl), especially in the Steelers system.

For the OL, that would make the starting five Smith-Faneca-Simmons-Vincent-Starks, with Okobi and Jones as a back-ups for the interior, and if you get Ross at a good price, Ross and Burr as back-ups for the OT's. Don't re-sign Brooks and cut Hartings (5.4 million cap # is too much for a guy who could be lost at any moment). In the Draft look to pick up a solid OL in the 3rd.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelerCntry wrote:
I think Chad Scott should be offered a contract restructure to stay as a nickel db, he can still hit and occasionally come up with a big pick, even if he can't cover his own shadow.

Oliver Ross would be a good back-up OT, but not a starter if another team wants to give him starter $$, they should not match and let him go(like they failed to do last time).

In my opinion, Vincent has proven himself to be a valuable part of this team and the OL. In everything I have read throughout the season, he has really rededicated himself to becoming a powerful starting OG in this league. I like him and think they should keep him (if it is around 2.5 million a year).

Simmons impressed the hell out of me this year in both the way he came back with strength and speed after being diagnosed with diabetes, and his superior performance during the preseason(before he was hurt). Last year during the end of the season, after all hope was lost, Mark Madden and Eddy B. had discussed, on numerous occasions, his possible switch to center. He is built in the Dawson frame (6'3" 310#), and I think would be great (Pro Bowl), especially in the Steelers system.

For the OL, that would make the starting five Smith-Faneca-Simmons-Vincent-Starks, with Okobi and Jones as a back-ups for the interior, and if you get Ross at a good price, Ross and Burr as back-ups for the OT's. Don't re-sign Brooks and cut Hartings (5.4 million cap # is too much for a guy who could be lost at any moment). In the Draft look to pick up a solid OL in the 3rd.

Really good, well informed post. I'd like to see us draft David Baas in the 1st round but your proposal is really good also. I think Hartings will restructure his contract and will be back for one last shot at a Super Bowl ring. I think that Vincent is going to be a well sought after FA so he may not return. I'd like us to draft Baas because he can play either OG or C. When Hartings does retire, Simmons and Baas can sort out those roles between themselves. That would give the Steelers a great young O-Line of Smith-Faneca-Baas-Simmons-Starks who could dominate for 4-5 years.
SteelerCntry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check several of the mocks posted around the web, at least once a week and it seems that most have Bass going before we pick, do you think he is the best use of our first pick? What about if he is left in the early part of the second, what do you think it would cost to move up from our second to say the 'boys second pick?

Aside, Bass seems to be a hell of a football player, the type Pittsburgh people love, and he has certainly played against good competition at Michigan.
RetireCowher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not mistake Simmons for Fordham...he is a revolving door.

He spent all of 03 3-5 yards deep in the backfield...wayyyyy overrated...you probably only think he's good because you read the paper. If you watched the games he was terrible. I don't care how much of a monster he supposedly was in the preseason.
andre80j

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can hit? I'll leave that job to Polamalu or one of the many gifted linebackers. If he's going to play nickel he needs to be able to cover. After all thats a db's job is to cover and sut down defenders, not to come up with the big hit.
SteelerCntry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often times in the Steelers nickel package they bring a corner or safety up and blitz from the slot, Scott could be good in that role. Also he can play the RB or TE off of the OL, out of the backfield, or in the slot. I just feel that putting him alone on the split or out in 1-1 on the deep rout is not prudent given his age, recent injury, and decreasing ability level. Keeping Scott who knows the system, and is somewhat of a defensive leader for around 1-1.5 million cap value would be a wise move(in my opinion).
azazaz7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelerCntry wrote:
I check several of the mocks posted around the web, at least once a week and it seems that most have Bass going before we pick, do you think he is the best use of our first pick? What about if he is left in the early part of the second, what do you think it would cost to move up from our second to say the 'boys second pick?

Aside, Bass seems to be a hell of a football player, the type Pittsburgh people love, and he has certainly played against good competition at Michigan.

If Baas has been drafted before #30 then the Steelers are in a great position to trade down. I figure that Corey Webster, Brandon Browner, Eric Green, Fabian Washington and Bryant McFadden should all be on the board at #30. The Steelers could trade down 15 spots and still be in with a chance to select at least one of those players.

I'm going to assume that Baas is off the board and the Steelers trade down with the Lions who have the 9th pick of round 2. The Lions want Brodney Pool so they jump to get him. In such a scenario the Lions would have to give up their 3rd round pick for the Steelers to entertain the prospect of a trade. Such a move would benefit the Steelers because they could then pick up new CB (McFadden), DE (Chris Canty), WR (Fred Gibson) and RB (Kay Jay Harris).

If, for example, the Steelers selected a CB like Carlos Rogers or Brandon Browner in round 1 they'd find it difficult to trade up in to get Baas in round 2. Assuming they enter a trade with the Cowboys, the Steelers would have to give up their 2nd, 3rd and 6th round picks to make a trade worthwhile for the Cowboys. With the Steelers needing depth at DE, RB (probably), WR and at S, trading up wouldn't be worthwhile as a few needs would have to go unaddressed.

If Baas is there for the Steelers in round 1 I think they'll select him and will wait until the end of round 2 to select a CB. The only way I see them trading up in round 2 is if a top CB is falling and even then the Steelers won't want to give up more than a 4th rounder and conditional 5th or 6th in exchange.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: