Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Devin McCourty
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Era Skins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Devin McCourty Reply with quote

Devin McCourty is a free agent after the season, whats the possibility of him being resigned?

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Devin McCourty Reply with quote

New Era Skins wrote:
Devin McCourty is a free agent after the season, whats the possibility of him being resigned?
I wouldn't count on him leaving. He's one of Belichick's favorites and the glue that holds the secondary together.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#OnToBaltimore
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Devin McCourty Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
New Era Skins wrote:
I wouldn't count on him leaving. He's one of Belichick's favorites and the glue that holds the secondary together.

Yeah him & Revis will be top priorities this off season. Next off season or during season I would think it'd be Chandler and Don'ta. The next Jamie Collins.

Patriots SB 49 Champions!
Babylon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriots will have basically $20m in space to play with needing to re-sign Revis, McCourty, Ghost and Connolly as the major FA pieces to worry about. (toss a mid-round tender on the running backs if you care). (Note, also need ~$6m in space to sign rookies).

McCourty is the #1 priority and is probably gonna be around what Byrd cost the Saints, Revis just have to massage a deal that doesn't screw the cap over too badly and /or lets the Pats escape when they think Brady will retire / be done, and Ghost probably eats the franchise tag unless he takes a longer term cheaper deal he doesn't have to.
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babylon wrote:
Patriots will have basically $20m in space to play with needing to re-sign Revis, McCourty, Ghost and Connolly as the major FA pieces to worry about. (toss a mid-round tender on the running backs if you care). (Note, also need ~$6m in space to sign rookies).

McCourty is the #1 priority and is probably gonna be around what Byrd cost the Saints, Revis just have to massage a deal that doesn't screw the cap over too badly and /or lets the Pats escape when they think Brady will retire / be done, and Ghost probably eats the franchise tag unless he takes a longer term cheaper deal he doesn't have to.

You can also restructure Mayo, extend Solder to significantly reduce cap hits. We shouldn't have a problem getting our guys back. I just wouldn't expect any outside signings outside of a couple 2 mil deals
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babylon wrote:

Connolly isn't a major piece. He's a guy to bring back cheap if possible, otherwise it should be easy to upgrade.

Also, Ridley and Vereen aren't guys they can "toss a mid round tender on" as they're UFA not RFA
Richter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Devin McCourty Reply with quote

New Era Skins wrote:

There's no chance he ends up on the Redskins, if that's what you're asking.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Hernandez dead money?
PoWww

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCourty, and Revis are the two biggest off-season priorities for New England. Can't let either go, IMO. They're a huge part of the reason why our defense has been so successful this season. McCourty isn't going anywhere, I'm confident that if they can't get a deal done, they'll slap the tag on him.

The Revis situation will be an interesting one. Everyone knows Revis is about the dough...he deserves it. Gotta pay the man. I've said it in other threads, but my ideal off-season would be bringing back McCourty, Revis, and then Ayers. I'm not too worried about letting Vereen walk if he wants a big pay day. Add pieces to the line through the draft.

^Deadpulse
ICB 45

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to tag Revis (at least if that is a possibility, not sure what his contract stipulates). That isn't even a discussion if we can.

McCourty will have far more loyalty to the Patriots organization and will likely come cheaper because he isn't a flashy player. But then again, I thought I could have said that about guys like Welker or Vinatieri too probably...

A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep
VTPatsFan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICB 45 wrote:
You have to tag Revis (at least if that is a possibility, not sure what his contract stipulates). That isn't even a discussion if we can.

McCourty will have far more loyalty to the Patriots organization and will likely come cheaper because he isn't a flashy player. But then again, I thought I could have said that about guys like Welker or Vinatieri too probably...

They can't tag Revis, he still has another year on his contract. He signed a two year contract in the summer, but they're going to have to deal with that $16-20 million hit next year, either release or restructure (hopefully restructure).

Super Bowl Championships: 1
Hunter2_1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Devin McCourty Reply with quote

New Era Skins wrote:

Yeah, nah. Sorry.
iothar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 million a year for 5 years for Revis?
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iothar wrote:

I would not be upset at a deal like that. Afraid Revis is going to be asking for more tho.

Mack on the sig
iothar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
iothar wrote:

I would not be upset at a deal like that. Afraid Revis is going to be asking for more tho.

If a team pays him more then 15 for it would have to be for 2 seasons which may be what he wants.

I would hope 13 a year for 5-6 years would do it.

Put in some incentives and make it worth his while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: