Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Has Dont'a Hightower made Jerod Mayo expendable?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Has Dont'a Hightower made Jerod Mayo expendable? Reply with quote

In 2015 Mayo is gonna be coming off a major knee injury. He is slated to count for $10.6 million against the cap.

Meanwhile, Dont'a Hightower seems to have blossomed into a combination of the best sides of Mayo (fast, intelligent) and Brandon Spikes (huge, shedding blocks, violent blitzer)

Acknowledging that BB loves Mayo, and that he has a lot of value which we as fans do not appreciate, I would contend that if the LB core as constituted keeps this up, we would be best served freeing up money for players who are more important to the defense (Revis and McCourty).

Not a feel-good move, but one which is necessary to retain the two defensive backs, who are really the pillars of the NE defense right now. I'd MUCH rather be paying 9 mil for DMC than Mayo.

Thoughts?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
ICB 45

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thread topic and I've thought about Mayo being done here as well. I don't believe that he has made him expendable on his own, but I think that re-signing Ayers as well as drafting an ILB in the first 3 rounds in the draft would make me feel more secure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do really like Mayo as a player, but I also really liked Lawyer Millloy.

If in your hypothetical it came down to either Mayo or McCourty, I would pick the latter pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was placed on injured reserve on October 16th both this year and last year. They played their best football after his injury. That doesn't mean they are better without him, but he's probably not as crucial to the defense as he's made out to be.
PoWww

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's going to be similar to the Wilfork situation(re-structure or walk). Hightower has been an absolute stud this season and should make the pro bowl(although he probably won't).

Like others have said, I'd much rather have McCourty than Mayo. McCourty, Revis, and Gostowski need to be re-signed.

^Deadpulse
TomRalph wrote:
Looking forward to a Top 10 pick this year.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he will be asked to restructure and/or take a pay cut, and I think he will do it coming off his second major injury. Even after a pay cut, he would probably still make more if he stayed then if he went to FA.

Sigs-Taking Requests
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Expendable" is a big word, not sure about that. Has he made affected his value? No question. 10.6M suddenly seems an awful lot for, potentially, the third best LB on the team.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 76 Yards: 1093 TDs: 11
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a big difference between being able to survive a guy's loss and that guy being expendable.

Mayo will likely have to restructure but everything I've ever read/heard about him indicates Belichick views Mayo in extremely high regard in terms of leadership and ability.

I'd be shocked if Mayo were cut. And honestly, 2 great LB's isn't as good as 3 great LB's. I think it's dangerous to assume that because Hightower has looked great that they don't need a 3rd quality LB.

If Mayo was LB #4 instead of #3, I think it's a different equation. But if he's healthy, he's a starter in any base defense and allows them to do more interesting/creative things with Hightower/Collins in sub packages. Even with Hightower playing at a high level, I think Mayo still would get a ton of playing time.
patsfan06

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

But if he doesn't restructure or take less money, then he is obviously a possible cut.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When BB came out and said a win was 'bittersweet' due to the loss of Mayo (and to a lesser extent, Ridley) then you know that guy means a lot in a multitude of ways to the team.

I believe that the leadership aspect of the LB position is vital and I'm not sure if Dont'a or Collins have that sort of vocal/lead by example attribute that Mayo so clearly brings to the table.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Being Severely Underutilised
terbo559

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a thought in my head the past couple of weeks. Not only Hightower, but the emergence of Akeen Ayers in his role might make Belichick rethink his options. Maybe trade Mayo, resign Ayers and keep the lineup the way it is for a cheaper cost, or go back to the old lineup and maybe let Ayers walk, unless hes willing to come back on a cheap deal.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terbo559 wrote:
This was a thought in my head the past couple of weeks. Not only Hightower, but the emergence of Akeen Ayers in his role might make Belichick rethink his options. Maybe trade Mayo, resign Ayers and keep the lineup the way it is for a cheaper cost, or go back to the old lineup and maybe let Ayers walk, unless hes willing to come back on a cheap deal.

Ayers is better rushing from RE than playing WILL
PoWww

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great game from Hightower. He should be a pro bowler this season.

^Deadpulse
TomRalph wrote:
Looking forward to a Top 10 pick this year.
BigTimePatsFan9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypothetically, not saying this is an option in any way, what would be compensation we could receive in a trade for Mayo?
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
Hypothetically, not saying this is an option in any way, what would be compensation we could receive in a trade for Mayo?

With his inflating contract, I'd say third rounder at best

Sigs-Taking Requests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: