You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

"Super Bill" Bill Bradley

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: "Super Bill" Bill Bradley Reply with quote

"Super Bill" Bill Bradley

5'11
190 lbs
Position:DB/P/H/RS
College:Texas
Born: 1/24/47, Palestine, TX
"Before Brian Dawkins, before Eric Allen, there was Bill Bradley"

Bills Early Days.

High School-
Born and raised in Palestine, Texas. Bradley became a star at a young age playing quarterback and defensive back, he was nick named "Super Bill" for abilities as a runner and ambadextrious thrower (both right & left handed). Bill lead Palestine High School to a state title in 1965 and was named a high school All-American for both QB and defensive back. He is a member of the Texas high school football Hall of Fame.

College-

1965, Bill Bradley a high school All-American QB and defensive back, and leader of the Texas high school state champs was a hot commodity coming out of high school, Texas wasted no time and inked Bradley for a full ride. Bradley took over as the starting quarterback/punter in 1966, He couldn't quite make the transition from high school QB to college QB despite being as mobile as he was, and then soon the arrival of now college legend QB James Street had Bradley demoted in 1968. Bradley was moved to wide receiver, this didnt last long before Bradley found his knack on the other side of the ball. Bradley a Tri-captain of the Longhorn, became a threat as a defensive back, and quickly made a name for him self with NFL scouts after a amazing performance in his senior year against rival Texas A&M where he set the South West Conference single game interception record with 4 INT. He was later named to The Texas Longhorn Hall of Fame

"Super Bill" Gives New Lift To The Eagles.

what to do with this guy? 1969 NFL DRAFT

Entering the 1969 NFL Draft, Bill Bradley was a needle in a haystack, he consistently punted at a high level through out his college career but a sub par performance at QB a failed stint lining up at wide receiver for 5 games and then moving to free safety for the last couple games, left Scouts wondering where to place this guy in the NFL, does he have a position? he was listed as a Punter/Player, in his own words " I was Slash before there was a Slash" referencing to Kordell Stewart. The Philadelphia Eagles took a chance on Bill Bradley selecting him in the 3rd round pick # 69 as a a punter/holder/special teams player.

Put Me In Coach!-

Bradley, serving strictly on special teams as a punter/holder/return man in his rookie campaign. Bradley was a coaches pest, he itched at the chance to get in on defense. 1969 the Eagles were getting blown out by a loaded Dallas Cowboy team, Bill Bradley kept bugging defensive coordinator Jimmy Car to play him, after several try's and some button pushing, in the exact words of Coach Carr "'Okay Bradley, just get the hell in there!'". Bradley entered the game, relaxed and confident despite standing across from Roger Staubach , Mike Ditka, and Bob Hayes. The Eagles showed Blitz, Staubach checked a quick slant audible down to the Tight End Ditka, Ditka never registered it, Staubach threw the quick slant and Bradley made the adjustment and jumped the route, the ball went straight into his hands at the 46 yard line, off to the races Bradley went with the worlds fastest man in Bob Hayes running down his heels, Hayes hits Bradley at the End Zone, Bradley scores, his first ever pick a touch down! After that "Super Bill" would go on to proof he was a play maker every time he got near the ball.

"Super Bill's" Super Season's

Bill Bradley took center field for our Eagles defense and never looked back.Bradley was by no means fast, but he made up for by being savvy and being a student of the game, he was always studying any film he could get his hands on , Bradley became notorious for his game preparation. He went on to lead the league twice back to back in Interceptions 1971 and 1972, he was the first player to ever do this, it has only been done once since. in 1971 he recorded 11 INT 2 fumble recoveries for 248 yards, in 1972 he recorded 9 INT 2 fumble recoveries for 73 yards. Bill Bradley's 1971-72 seasons are two of the greatest performances over a season in Eagles History.

Bill Bradley's Legacy

Bill Bradley is a proud member of the Eagles Honor Roll. Bradley was a Eagles from 1969-1976. Over his years with the Eagles he would total 34 INT( tied with Eric Allen for the all time team record) over 536 yards returning INT's , and a impressive 2 back to back 1st team All-Pro honors, 3 back to back Pro Bowl appearances at Free safety, all while still being a good punter and over all special teams player. Eric Allen, Brian Dawkins, Herm Edwards, Troy Vincent, etc. all studs, but no one was like "Super Bill" Bill Bradley, He wasn't the fastest but not many understood the game and contributed like he did.

From Picks, To Clipboard.

Coaching

Bradley never left the game, he moved on to coach in the USFL, CFL, NCAA and the NFL, where he has found success at all level. Bradley coached the Bill's as a defensive back coach from 1998-00' his secondary led the NFL in pass defense in 1999 and ranked fourth in 2000. During two of Bradley’s three seasons with the New York Jets, he improved there secondary in to the NFL’s top 10 in pass defense, finishing seventh in 2001 and 10th in 2003. Bradley then took a job as a defensive coordinator with a struggling Baylor(NCAA), In 2005, his Baylor defense ranked 13th in the nation in pass efficiency. Bradley is now the coach of San Diego Chargers secondary, the Chargers have responded well to Bill Bradley they led the league in interceptions with 30 and also led the league in INT during the playoffs with six. Bill Bradley simply "Knows the Game"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up dude, ive only really heard this guys name a few times in the past, but he seems like a great guy and competitor

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
paulthom23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

super bill will have his own biopic in "Invincible 2". dont worry though guys, i swear its not gonna suck this time.

Seriously speaking, great write up.
fly eagles fly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job B60. It was a terrific read.

By the way, have you heard any rumors on some brewing lunchtime trades?
EAtotheGLE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fly eagles fly wrote:
Great Job B60. It was a terrific read.

By the way, have you heard any rumors on some brewing lunchtime trades?
No trades, but I heard on the last day, every player at training camp gave Shawn Andrews their fruit cup to cheer him up.

BREAKING NEWS:

Avant gets: Snack Pack

Klecko gets: Chocolate Milk

ground breaking trade, I think Avant got the better deal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAtotheGLE wrote:
BREAKING NEWS:

Avant gets: Snack Pack

Klecko gets: Chocolate Milk

ground breaking trade, I think Avant got the better deal.

Steeg's Slant
Although Klecko appears to get the edge in this trade in the short-term, you've got to like the durability of the Snack Pack as a long-term solution to Avant's snacking concerns. It's only a matter of time until that milk spoils and ruins the whole meal for Klecko; heck, that milk is going to be a big headache for him as long as it's a part of his lunch. The minute that you don't give that milk the constant attention it needs in a frosty, cool environment it's going to sour, and that just won't leave you with a good taste in your mouth.

Ultimate Edge: Avant - a prudent move from the young wide receiver

Great write-up B60, it's great to see you back in action with these things!
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL^^^ can you picture Klecko's lunch, he was the kid whos mom made sure he wasnt going hungry at school, and Klecko sure as hell wasnt sharing .

but on the topic of Bradley, hes another great defensive back that comes from the Eagles family, his ability as a punter , holder and special teams ace, free roster spots and created wiggle room on the roster which i feel should be noted.

but the thing that stood out to me most about him, is his success as a coach, he was a student of the game who made up for his speed with brains, and he never stopped taking in as much as he could about the game and the defensive back position. The Student became The Teacher, and The Teacher is a damn good one. i really wish he was a part of our Eagles staff.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up B60, 2nd greatest Eagles safety ever.

BDawk of course is #1.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBrown86 wrote:
Great write up B60, 2nd greatest Eagles safety ever.

BDawk of course is #1.

thanks.

well Dawkins will become the All-Time Eagles leader in receptions this year, hes at 33 INT total, i hope we do something special for him. Dawkins and Bradley are very similar in terms of how they played, Bradley would always come up on the line of scrimmage and play the tight end, he had a knack for reading the QB before the snap and had a very high understanding of the angles of the game, much so like Dawkins.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Chester a very very long time ago. The Eagles used to have summer camp at Widener University in the 1970’s. I could walk there from my house when I was in elementary school. I met most of the players from this area. The team used to have meetings and then walk down the street to the practice field. I would stand outside the gate with about 10 other kids and almost all the players would sign autographs on a single sheet. I had sheets from 3 or 4 seasons. I wish I still had them now.

When they moved to west chester the fans were kept further away.

I remeber Bill Bergy seemed much older then the other players. Vermeil was scary, not the lovable grand father of today. I never got Jawarski or Carmichael signature, they drove up the street. That long ago and after a lot of bad seasons I remember some real hard-core fans watching the practices.

Good write up
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep an eye on the sidelines of the charger games for Bradley, i really wish he was a part of our coaching staff, still exciting to see a Eagle in any facet of the game, specially a great one!

i got more goods a'coming!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: