Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions Insider Talk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Lions Insider Talk Reply with quote

Curt Slyvester (Detroit Free Press Lions Insider) said on a local talk show that Millen is looking in the draft at the safety position, but in Curt's next sentence he said he wasn't sure if that was just a smokescreen or not.

This from the Pro Football Weekly website. http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Detroit/default.htm

The Way We Hear It - The Lions built their offense in the first two years under head coach Steve Mariucci. This offseason is expected to be spent addressing a few defensive shortcomings. The first priority is defensive end. DE James Hall is a strong run defender who can play the left side and had a breakout season rushing the passer. But the Lions would like a greater speed presence off the edge. They havenít completely given up on former second-round pick Kalimba Edwards, but heís not considered a starter right now. DL Cory Redding had a good year, but heís more of a left end than a speed rusher. The secondary has been bolstered with pricey signings each of the last two offseasons (Dreí Bly in 2003 and Fernando Bryant last March), but the safety positions are still a weakness. The Lions have said they wonít overspend this offseason and want to continue to build through the draft.

Sounds like the Lions may go DE in 1st round and S in the 2nd.
LION KING

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt be suprized I myself think the Lions have only 2 solid defensive line everyone screams its our strength I dont think as much.

Rogers is Probowler and Hall Awsome Pass rusher and Wilkerson is solid but geting long in the tooth so geting best DL wouldnt be bad.

DL COdy or Pollack is very Possible for Detorit I want them to Draft Shazor even if they have to move back into the First round with a trade.

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you think is better between Shazor and Davis. Seems most people in this forum would rather have Shazor but there is also a Wolverine bias amongst most in this group. Thomas Davis and Shazor are both big and physical and both need to improve there coverage skills the only differences are speed (Davis runs a 4.5-40 and Shazor runs a 4.6-40), and size (Shazor 6'4 230 and Davis 6'1, 230).
Mutant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who do you think is better between Shazor and Davis. Seems most people in this forum would rather have Shazor but there is also a Wolverine bias amongst most in this group. Thomas Davis and Shazor are both big and physical and both need to improve there coverage skills the only differences are speed (Davis runs a 4.5-40 and Shazor runs a 4.6-40), and size (Shazor 6'4 230 and Davis 6'1, 230).

# Name College Height Weight 40 Time
1. Thomas Davis Georgia 6-1 230 4.55
2. Ernest Shazor Michigan 6-4 226 4.45

I think you have that backwards. According to NFL draft countdown, and practically every other website I have seen, Shazor is clearly faster than Davis. I think Davis is going to drop in the draft after the combine because everyone will see how slow he is, plus like you said he lacks coverage skills. I personally think that both safties will go late first round, I don't know who will go first, but I would't mind the Lions trading up to get either of them.
LION KING

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the lions, to move down in round one and pick up a 2nd rounder for they can move back into the first round.

I myself like Shazors Size period and hes a tackling machine if we can trade up into the 1st round to get him with 2nd and a 3rd then do it.

I would trade down and get one of three spots.

1 TE Miller

2. DL Pollack

3. Cb Marlin Jackson who could play saftey or coner!

2nd round pick best Guard avialable and trade up to get Shazor.

3 starters on day one.

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
amaru0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I seem to remember seeing a lot of sites that said Shazor was a 4.6 runner as well. A lot of the articles I've read say he either has to drop some weight to get faster to play safety or add some weight to play LB. I think there are more good safeties in this draft than people are realizing though. Davis, Shazor, Brimmer, Pool, Nicholson or Butler, I think any one of them will turn out to be a solid NFL safety, I just hope we get the one who's above solid!
GoLions17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what id like to see is trading down to get an extra 2nd pick up davis with the first round and shazor with the second and solve the d line problem via free agency
TRUBLU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: D-LINE Reply with quote

AS FAR AS THE LINE GOES WE ARE IN A GOOD POSITION TO GET AT LEAST 1 DECENT D-LINEMAN OR A REALLY GOOD ONE
ALOT OF REPORTS HAVE COREY SIMON NOT BEING OFFERED A NEW CONTRACT. SO WE DUMP HAKIM, AND I AM NOT SURE IF BRIAN WALKERS CONTRACT IS UP THIS YEAR OR NEXT YEAR BUT HAVE ENOUGH SALARY CAP ROOM TO GET THE BEST DT COMBO IN THE NFL AND GO AFTER A SS, TE, AND SOME DEPTH ON BOTH LINES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: