Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Philip Rivers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Philip Rivers Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479669/article/philip-rivers-chargers-future-in-question-beyond-2015

Quote:
On the off chance that the Chargers do consider trading one of the top six quarterbacks in the game, it's natural to connect the dots to Nashville as a Southern city with a club that holds the No. 2 overall pick in the draft and a chance to land Mariota. The Titans are also coached by Ken Whisenhunt, the play-caller who helped Rivers capture the Comeback Player of the Year award in 2013.

Shocked

Now this is something I would be very down for.
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He turns 34 this season. If I had any confidence we could build a winner in the next two years, I'd be up for this. But I don't. Especially if the trade includes the #2 pick. I'd just as soon build through the draft and have the young guys grow together.

Would certainly make us more competitive in the short run. But I'm willing to put up with short-term garbage if it gets us closer to a title in the long run.

"I am familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda."
titans0021

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
He turns 34 this season. If I had any confidence we could build a winner in the next two years, I'd be up for this. But I don't. Especially if the trade includes the #2 pick. I'd just as soon build through the draft and have the young guys grow together.

Would certainly make us more competitive in the short run. But I'm willing to put up with short-term garbage if it gets us closer to a title in the long run.
If only I had faith that it wouldn't either just be short-term garbage or long-term garbage. Laughing
VY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way this would make sense is if San Diego treated Rivers as just a bonus to a deal that anyone else would have to give up in terms of picks. If we still were getting 3 1's, then you'd have to consider it. But I doubt they'd go that all out.
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the random crap that we do to lose, he'd have some epic meltdowns. Laughing
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:

My exact thoughts. Build young. Build long-term.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers told Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune that he anticipates playing out the final year of his contract and assessing things come 2016."
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
"Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers told Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune that he anticipates playing out the final year of his contract and assessing things come 2016."

Meh. Trades happen all the time with out players "Anticipating" them. I think hes still in play.

I honestly think he would make us a playoff team.. But at the same time we are going to get a hell of a player if we stay in the top 6...

Idk. Pretty interesting tho.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't even make the Chargers a playoff team last year and they were a lot better on defense than us (13th by points 9th by yards). I don't see him making us a playoff contender.
therealdeal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defenses can change in just one year. Last year a couple of defenses made a jump.

We know our team has a lot of potential but the offense kept the defense on the field by not being able to convert 3rd Downs.

Getting a better/vetern quarterback will immediately increase our 3rd Down Conversion rate which in turn will decrease the amount of time our defense is on the field compared to last season (in theory)

We can sit back and say lets "Build young and build through the draft" but we've been saying this for years and we still haven't managed to break this way of thinking.

I say go for it.. Honestly, Rivers may have 4-5 years left.. or he may have only 2-3 years left of good play.

Honestly, if we have a quarterback already waiting to start once he leaves, we only need 2 years.

But a solid 2 years is all an organization needs to reboost. The seats will start to fill back up, merchandise sales, along with concession stand sales will start to increase vs past years.

This is a decision that goes past the typical on the field thinking, there is alot of variables that go into play when you make the decision to trade for one of the top QBs in the league.

We have made some additions that I believe people are underating.

Fasano gives us an average TE which is better than the others we had on the roster outside of Delanie Walker. Small improvement, but still a decent one.

We add another receiver in Douglas who is not a #1 receiver but still has displayed the ability to get open on a more consistent basis than some of the guys on the receiving squad.

Defense we've instantly improved.. maybe not #1, but we've improved and not to mention the Defensive mastermind we've added.

Im not saying we're an instant playoff team.. but I do believe we're automatically better than 2 wins by far.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for acquiring Phillip Rivers, I'm not at all about giving up the #2 pick.

I don't for a second believe Phillip Rivers will be traded. And if he really does walk out on San Diego next year. I GUARANTEE we will be THE FIRST team he talks to. He wants to be in a southern city and Nashville is closest to his home in Bama. We're also, arguably, the only team in the region who would be in the market, maybe Houston. But the Whiz connection would help us.

San Diego doesn't have much leverage to command the #2 pick outright for Rivers. I know that he's a top QB, but he's older, has a high salary and most importantly has given the impression that he will walk out due to the relocation turmoil.

I'd say #33 this year with a conditional 2016 2nd that could become a 1st depending on performance is worth it for Rivers. If not, come FA next year we make a big run at him.

Ultimately all this is, is posturing by Rivers to get the most guaranteed money possible on his last contract. If he has a great season, he can makes San Diego desperate, by saying he doesn't want to relocate, then he just drives his price up.

Summary: Rivers is smart. This scenario is all very unlikely to happen.

**RIP Steve McNair**
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
I'm all for acquiring Phillip Rivers, I'm not at all about giving up the #2 pick.

I don't for a second believe Phillip Rivers will be traded. And if he really does walk out on San Diego next year. I GUARANTEE we will be THE FIRST team he talks to. He wants to be in a southern city and Nashville is closest to his home in Bama. We're also, arguably, the only team in the region who would be in the market, maybe Houston. But the Whiz connection would help us.

San Diego doesn't have much leverage to command the #2 pick outright for Rivers. I know that he's a top QB, but he's older, has a high salary and most importantly has given the impression that he will walk out due to the relocation turmoil.

I'd say #33 this year with a conditional 2016 2nd that could become a 1st depending on performance is worth it for Rivers. If not, come FA next year we make a big run at him.

Ultimately all this is, is posturing by Rivers to get the most guaranteed money possible on his last contract. If he has a great season, he can makes San Diego desperate, by saying he doesn't want to relocate, then he just drives his price up.

Summary: Rivers is smart. This scenario is all very unlikely to happen.

I don't think San Diego would really want the deal if we aren't gonna give up #2 though. It only makes sense for them if they can get Mariota out of it. Otherwise he plays this year and they franchise him next year and then he walks the following year.

I would think talks would start somewhere around #2 for Rivers and #17
therealdeal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be an outright trade..

Something like the swapping of the firsts and they would need to give up something else in addition to Rivers this year plus something next year.

#17 to #2 is a pretty big jump and rivers is 33. Soooo
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealdeal wrote:
It wouldn't be an outright trade..

Something like the swapping of the firsts and they would need to give up something else in addition to Rivers this year plus something next year.

#17 to #2 is a pretty big jump and rivers is 33. Soooo

Yeah they would have to give up quite a bit for me to be interested. Rivers is in his last year of his deal and has already said he's not going to sign an extension. They have absolutely no leverage. Especially if we really are interested in Mariota. Having a QB they would feel is viable (whether they do or not) increases what we would ask in return for a QB who turns 34 this year.
Justin615$

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/19/chargers-mariota-talk-isnt-going-away/

As I have said before, I would need their 17th pick AND a 1st rounder next year to get Rivers for the #2 pick and I do not think they would want to do that.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan
1. Michael Griffin : 112 TKLS, 3 SACKS, 2 INTS, 5 PDEF
2. Mike Martin : 13 TKLS, 0 SACKS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: