You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New 7 round Mock...go Stillers!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RetireCowher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: New 7 round Mock...go Stillers!! Reply with quote

I'm not a draftnik by any means...I'd like to see what you guys think about the upcoming draft.... When you get a chance could you guys come up with some picks for rounds 1-7 and then we'll discuss.

Thanks,

RetireCowher (now)
azazaz7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1)Corey Webster, CB, LSU. 6'0", 201lbs.
Can come in and be an upgrade over Williams (or Scott) immediately. Very tough player.

2)Logan Mankins, OT/OG, Fresno State. 6'4", 297lbs.
Isn't a great athlete but his performances on the field have been exemplary. His speed isn't great so he may be better served moving to OG in the NFL. Can be a dominating player.

3)Vincent Jackson, WR, Northern Colorado. 6'4", 238lbs.
If he went to a top school he'd be a late 1st round prospect. The Steelers could lose Burress to FA (and good riddance) and Jackson has comparable size, better athleticism and a better attitude.

4)Boomer Grigsby, ILB, Illinois State. 6'1", 241lbs.
Another small school prospect. Grigsby has awesome speed for an ILB. He's a ballhawk who could have a similar impact to James Harrison.

5)Gerald Sensabaugh, FS, North Carolina. 6'2", 217lbs.
Very good size and above average pace. Sensabaugh will drop due to only playing a year at a top college. He's a very good special teams player, which the Steelers will covet, and will be a great backup for Chris Hope.

6)Junius Coston, C, North Carolina A&T. 6'3", 310lbs.
Very raw but has a big upside. He's agile, quick and strong. The only reason he'll drop this low is because he played division 1-AA football. Will benefit behinf Hartings for 1 year at least.

7)Mike Montgomery, DE, Texas A&M. 6'4", 271lbs.
Is huge and has the frame to get closer to the 300lb mark. Played DE as a senior and excelled there. If it wasn't for health issues (he had a heart scare a couple of years ago) he'd be a 3rd round prospect. Could work his way into the rotation in 2006 at some stage.

The Steelers may pick up an extra pick for Todd Fordham. Assuming it's a 6th round pick I think the Steelers could select a QB. I'd like to see them get Walter Washington out of Temple with that pick. He's an excellent athlete but is very raw. He's coming out after his junior year and could benefit from going to NFL Europe in 2006.
RetireCowher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Nice post Reply with quote

I love Boomer Grigsby...I live 30 miles from Illinois State. I really hope they take him...he could be great. Amazing motor...just makes plays. Not crazy about your oline/dline picks. The Stillers need DEs with more height than Montgomery...and the Oline picks seem raw. I love Vincent Jackson as a Stiller. Do you know if there is any character issues w/ him? It seems to me that every receiver over 6'4 has a real character flaw...Plax, RandyMoss, TO? I like Browner over Webster...but both would be improvements on our current secondary. Thanks for the post.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Nice post Reply with quote

RetireCowher wrote:
I love Boomer Grigsby...I live 30 miles from Illinois State. I really hope they take him...he could be great. Amazing motor...just makes plays. Not crazy about your oline/dline picks. The Stillers need DEs with more height than Montgomery...and the Oline picks seem raw. I love Vincent Jackson as a Stiller. Do you know if there is any character issues w/ him? It seems to me that every receiver over 6'4 has a real character flaw...Plax, RandyMoss, TO? I like Browner over Webster...but both would be improvements on our current secondary. Thanks for the post.

I agree that Mankins isn't everybodys cup of tea. Apparently he isn't impressing anyone at the Senior Bowl training camp (nor is Corey Webster by the way). Mankins could be a 3rd round pick now.

I could see the Steelers getting David Baas in round 1 now with Bryant McFadden coming in round 2 as an alternative to what I've already posted.

As far as I know Jackson doesn't have any character concerns. He is a bit raw because he split time between football and basketball in college. In Senior Bowl practice he has dropped a few balls but that could be due to ring rust having not played in about a month. His route running which was a concern to some has been very good too.

I think that Montgomery has very good size for a Steelers DE. Seeing as he's a round 7 selection there isn't much risk involved with this pick. If it works out that's great but if he doesn't it's only a 7th rounder. I really wanted to give Chris Canty to the Steelers in round 3 but I think he'll be off the board by the time the Steelers pick.

Who would you like to see the Steelers select along the O-Line and D-Line?
RetireCowher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Vontrell Jamison (6'7 285) as a bull rusher/run stopper that should be able to simply overpower his man on almost every snap. Travis Johnson would be great but I don't think he'll be available (even w/ our first pick). I would prefer we picked up a DE w/ height to knock some balls down and close up some passing lanes. Teams that dink and dunk kill us every once in a while...w/ taller DLinemen it becomes a lot more difficult to throw the short ball. Neither of the 2 guys I mentioned above are even close to resembling a speed rusher...I would love to find a speed rusher that can stop the run and even drop into coverage as well (this draft doesn't seem to offer that player though).

Oline I'm not crazy about anybody this year...Elton Brown is the only true first round talent in my mind...could be Larry Allen 2.0. Everybody else seems to have the ability to become nothing more than a solid starter...no stars. Vince Carter (I think that's his name) seems to have a real mean streak as a center but I don't know if we'll have a shot at him. I've heard good things about Ben Wilkerson but I'm not sold... I think there's a lot of Oline busts in the draft every year. Rather pick up a free agent even though it's usually too costly. Hopefully we'll be able to hang on to the guys we have...except Simmons...I think he's a human turnstyle. Overrated. I prefer Vincent. Just my thoughts.
the white rat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

round 1. Elton Brown, OG UVA

seems to be sliding down alot of board and mocks if he's here he should be the pick, if not either of the CBs webster or browner would work. i would also like them to look at DE spears or cody if avalible or ILB odell thurman.

round 2. Chris Canty, DE UVA

has played DE in the 3-4 at UVA, if hes not here look to either C ben wilkerson or vince carter.

round 3. Matt Jones, QB,WR,TE ark

great all around athlete and the steelers love QB conversions, i see vincent jackson here everywhere, i just dont think he'll be at our pick.

round 4. Bill Swancutt III, DE/OLB oregon st.

terrific athlete, has everything the steelers look for in a OLB.

round 5. Kay-Jay Harris, RB WVU

big back to help replace bettis who will probably retire, and im not sold that staley can carry the load.

round 6. Reggie Harrell, WR TCU

tall and fast has decent hands, ture deep threat.

round 7. Antwaun Rogers, CB Purdue

i can only hope he falls this far.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the white rat - Great Steelers mock. I like all the players you mentioned.

If Elton Brown falls to the Steelers, he's a no brainer selection. Simmons can be moved to C, Hartings can be cut and Brown can team with Faneca to give the Steelers two of the best OGs in the NFL.

I feel that Canty is a small bit of a reach in round 2. Personally, I think he's a great player who'd be an upgrade over Van Oelhoffen after only a year. I think the Steelers could trade down to around the 10th pick in round 3 (before the Texans) and still get him.

Matt Jones is going to make some team very happy. However I think round 3 is a bit of a reach for a project. If he's still there in round 4 then the Steelers should get him.

Bill Swancutt III is the perfect size for a 3-4 OLB. I like his determination. I feel he'll be gone by this point (he could possibly be drafted late in round 3).

Kay Jay Harris - he'd be a steal in round 5. I'm not convinced the Steelers need him just yet. Staley can do the job for 2 more years and Haynes and Parker are very solid backups. That being said, I wouldn't complain about this pick.

Reggie Harrell - this is the one pick I'm not crazy about. I think Harrell could go undrafted. He was productive in college but his speed won't help him in the NFL. With Jones already drafted, there is no need to get another big WR in my view. The Steelers would be better served getting O-Line depth with this pick.

If Rogers lasts until the bottom of round 7, the Steelers will have pulled off one of the major steals of the draft. He has fantastic physical tools and his experience would be useful in the Steelers young backfield.

The one omission I notice is a day one CB. The only way I don't see the Steelers drafting a CB early is if they pick up a good veteran through FA. However I'd be delighted if the Steelers draft looked like this.
MoMoney717

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the prospects I am looking at:

CB: Best Available-Browner, Jackson, Miller...

DE: Chris Canty

FS: Josh Bullocks, James Butler

RB: Marion Barber III

WR: Marc Clayton, Larry Brackins

ILB: Rob McCune

Looks like I am stupid but here is what I think...

I think our first option is to sign a free agent CB that way we can target a guy like Clayton to replace Plax...I know that they are not the same typre of reciever but I could see clayton becoming a better version of Lee Evans of the Bills.
Our second option is to trade down...If this is possible after completing the first option I would be very happy. I say trade picks and players (Chad Scott) for as many 2nd and 3rd rounders as possible. With those picks get some of the guys stated above. Marion Barber runs very similar to Duce, McCune could be a force in the middle, Canty will be an excellent replacement for Kimo, Bullocks is a big-play ballhawk and Butler is great in coverage.

I know it is highly doubtful but this is just my first time thinking about it... My ideas will change after I have read more.
Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Martin Nance in the Draft?
WR.
I think he was a Junior this year.

He went to Miami OH.....same place that Roethlisberger kid went.

With Burress possibly leaving, having a familiar target in Nance to throw to could be beneficial for Roethlisberger and the Steelers Offense.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 7 Round Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft

Round 1: Robert McCune - LB - Louisville or Corey Webster - CB - Louisiana State
Notes: I actually think they might address their CB need in a FA with someone like Ken Lucas. But even if they got a good CB in FA, I think they might still draft one in the first couple rounds to make their secondary younger. However, if McCune is there, it's going to be hard to pass up on him.

Round 2: C.J. Brooks - OG - Maryland or Chris Canty - DE - Virginia
Notes: Brooks would bring a youth movement to the offensive line, letting him learn for a year on how the blocking schemes work before he could take over. However, Chris Canty would be a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense, and he would provide a good DE who can stop the run as well as anybody.

Round 3: Alphonso Hodge - CB - Miami (OH) or Jason Brown - C - North Carolina
Notes: If the Steelers do get a FA Cornerback, I think they will wait until the late stages of day 1, or early stages of day 2 to draft a Cornerback. Hodge has size (6'1") and weight (206) that will give NFL recievers some fits trying to come off the jam. Jason Brown is my steal of the draft as far as linemen go. He's very underrated, and can get the job done.

Round 4: Frank Gore - RB - Miami (FL) or Craig Bragg - WR - UCLA
Notes: In Day 2, I can see the Steelers doing a couple of different things. However in Round 4, they could draft a great college player in Frank Gore, who could prove to be a great pickup because of his size and speed. Only concerns with him are durability because of past injuries, but should be worth a 4th round pick. Craig Bragg is one of my two sleepers at WR. Bragg could very well turn out as a great NFL reciever, if given the opportunity. I don't think Big Ben would mind throwing to him with the game on the line because he has very sure hands. Just seeing his punt return for a TD against USC this season should earn him a job.

Round 5: Alex Holmes - TE - Southern California or Adrian McPherson - QB - Nashville Kats (AFL)
Notes: Alex Holmes without a doubt is the best blocking TE in the draft, giving the illusion of another offensive lineman. He finishes off all his blocks, and on top of that, he runs very good routes. He might be just what the doctor ordered for the Steelers considering they now use their TE's as extra blockers. I know I might get ripped for the McPherson pick, but hear me out. McPherson was a stud in college until his gambling troubles surfaced. His 40 yard dash (4.51) is tops for his position. He possesses a very strong arm, and can get the job done by keeping defenses on their toes because of his ability to run and to pass. Think of a right-handed Michael Vick, with better accuracy. Could prove to be a very good backup as well as viable trade-bait.

Round 6: Matt Payne - P - BYU or Jammal Brimmer - S - UNLV
Notes: Chris Gardoki is getting up there in age, and he needs a replacement, and I don't think it would hurt to get one of the best punters in college. Jammal Brimmer is one of the best not-talked-about Safties in the nation. If he does manage to slip this far, the Steelers should draft because of his play-making ability. They're good either way here.

Round 7: Jonathan Jackson - DE/OLB - Oklahoma or Walter Reyes - RB - Syracuse
Notes: Picking Jonathan Jackson could actually turn out to be one of the best late round selections in the draft. He can play OLB in a 3-4, and he has a motor that never stops, allowing him to rush the quarterback with reckless abandon. Walter Reyes might not slip this far, but if he does, it's because of his size. He has an excellent burst of speed, and has shown that he can break tackles. Reyes is also a very formidable pass-catching running back, which will add another demention to this offense.

Let me know what you all think, it's greatly appreciated.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
Canada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian McPherson who went to Syracuse?

He was a stud in College???
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada wrote:

McPherson went to Florida State if i remember correctly, and he was a stud when he played

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
rblevens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webster's stock is falling pretty fast. You can most likely get him with your second rounder. Right now, most mockers have him going late second/early third.

Johnathan Jackson will not be a seventh rounder. He will be gone by the fifth round. I've heard some ppl saying he could possibly raise his stock enough at the combines to be drafted by the end of the third.

He will be a great OLB for the Steelers though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
Canada wrote:

McPherson went to Florida State if i remember correctly, and he was a stud when he played

Was there a McPherson who went to Syracuse?
I seem to remember one and he was by no means a "stud"...far from it.
andre80j

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you think Darren Sproles would end up in the draft? 4th-6th round? If he falls to Steelers around the 5th round pick, I wouldn't mind seeing them take him. I see a lot of potential in him.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: