Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dan Snider
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Dan Snider Reply with quote

Is Dan helping or hurting the Skins.
His free spending will catch up with the organization and kill any chances of a long run.
His thinking is "Win Now and Screw Tomorrow".
Bad thinking, unless he plans on selling in the future.

Also, Gibbs. Good move or bad move?
Has the game past him by?
Sure looked that way this year.
ctj0215

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has hurt them in the past but it looks like he is wisening up.

Gibbs was a good move.

The game has not passed him by.

It was one season... lets see after two or three.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you say that he is wisening up? Look at the huge bonuses he dished out last year. I would bet he'll do it again this year. Doesn't he realize you can't buy a superbowl ring. The guy is a FOOL.
You have to have depth in your roster. Not a bunch of overpriced "Stars" and a bunch of nobodies backing them up. Does he know anything about football or just how to spend $$$$$$$.
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my friend, it hasnt caught up with them as yet, even after horrible signings like deion and bruce smith...the fact is, snyder and co. manage the cap better than just about anyone in the league...every year the redskins go out and spend money and have done so since he signed on...EVERY YEAR...that means that every year they have cap room to spare...

in terms of him knowing football, i agree that he should try to stay out of the personnel dept...however, this past offseason he listened to his coaching staff on who to get, and went and got them...sure brunell was a terrible pickup, but that was on gibbs, not snyder...

remember that snyder was a skins fan in his late teens, early 20s during the glory days of the 1980s redskins, which means that he loves the redskins a bunch and wants desperately to restore those days, which explains the spending IMO...but also it means that he worships joe gibbs...and he will be willing to listen to what gibbs and his staff tell him, and will hold himself in check...he'll continue to spend money, but he will spend it on what his staff wants, not the biggest name out there...now we just have to get the staff on the right page, not picking up next years mark brunell
ctj0215

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would write a bunch here but e16bball summed it up nicely. THink of the evolution:

Bruce smith, marty, deion, spurrier

to

Gibbs, CP, Lavar, taylor (subtract brunnel)

He is going after younger guys and the salary cap stuff isnt as bad as it sounds. They ponyup huge sgning bonuses which can kill you or save you... depends on the player.

Look at the roster, they dont pay anyone too much next year. In 2006 there are like 5 players that are of concern and that is not really all that different than any other team.
avbanig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think snyder is good for the team, I'd rather have an owner that is spending and trying to win, than one that won't sign anyone!!
I'd like to see him stay with the same coaching staff, and same core of players for the next 5 years, and see where it takes us.
I think he's a little impatient, he needs to stop trading picks for veterans, and needs to realize taht Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was the Patriots, the Steelers, the Eagles or any franchise that consistantly wins, you have to spend $ wisely and draft smart, and get lucky along the way, Mary, Smith, Deion, Brunnell they were all very dumb choices.
They desperatley need a GM like Pioli from NE or someone who knows what the heck they are doing as far as personell, because honestly I don't think Gibbs knows what he's doing on personell either. He never really has done that in the past, and so far he isn't making the best decisons, I mean as good as portis was and all brunell just killed last year's offseason, he made everything horrible.
samuariskins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Snyder Reply with quote

He is an owner who is willing to do whatever it takes to have a winner. He has made a bunch of mistakes, but they have come less & less each year as he learns the business. He went for Spurrier, but guess what, most everyone in the business thought he'd would be a great coach. Snyder put out the cash to get what he thought would make the Skins great and it backedfired on him. So what does he do? He goes after Gibbs. That took guts! If he fails with Gibbs not one person can say he didn't try! Snyder is at least an owner who really loves his team. His biggest mistake is not all those over the hill players or picking the wrong coach. It's the fact that he doesn't have a true GM to work with the Head Coach! He needs a GM who can evaluate talent both in FA & the draft plus can get along with Gibbs. Then we need to acquire good players over great but now down hill players. We've done a good job overall in the 1st rounds of the draft lately, not like the late 80's and the 90's, but have not been fruitful in rounds 2nd thru 7th. A GM would really help our team!
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the Skins not have a GM or is Snyder the GM? Question
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't have a GM...They have Gibbs, Snyder, and Vinny Cerrato basically make the player decisions...personally i think they should have a GM as well, though not as desperately as samuari...
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if those three stuges (SP?) have another off season like last year(Burnell).
Good Luck Exclamation
riggensghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We certainly need a GM and as long as Snyder keeps his checkbook open and his hands off of the team, we should be ok. He wants a winner as much as the rest of us, but his overzelous spending has made it difficult to do some of the team building and retention needed to build a winner.

Lets hope last year was the start of something good (griffin, springs, washington, taylor, cooley) we need to cut or trade the overpays before we start feeling the cap hits of Lavar's big contract (its like 10m plus next year right?) and others.
e16bball

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez dogs i really hope the redskins wont have another offseason where they pick up portis, springs, griffin, washington, taylor, and cooley...that would be horrible

maybe we could have an ingenious offseason like the cowboys and get marcellus wiley and drew henson as two of our most prominent acquisitions...that would be sweet
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiley was a huge BUST, not that much money but over all not a good pick up.
As far as Henson goes, No one really know what this kid has yet. He's played half a game and 1 drive in the Baltimore game for a TD and no incompletions. Something like 4 for 4 or 5 for 5. Not bad for his first snaps in the pros.
He's as good as any 3rd round QB in this years draft.(This is what the Cowboys gave up for his rights) He was also farely cheap.
e16bball

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes probably worth the pick, but we will never find out as long as parcells is runnin the show...

Also, even though i criticized the cowboys there, i was really trying to make the point that the redskins actually had a great offseason, even though they made the one big mistake with brunell
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Henson quite a bit this year. They must see something in him or Romo to not send them to NFL Europe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: