You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Closer Look At The Zone Blitz
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 15136
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: A Closer Look At The Zone Blitz Reply with quote

A lot of people are under the misconception we run a primarily man-to-man heavy system. We however run a zone-blitz. Now in this post I will break down a few different variations of a zone blitz, all of which have been employed by the Eagles under Jim Johnson.



In this diagram is a LB zone blitz. You will see many things, the main things are highlighted below:

1 - On the right side, there is a stunt by the RDE over the RDT.

2 - The LDE runs a short zone, guarding for screens and receivers out of the backfield

3 - The SAM blitzes, while the WILL plays essentially the same exact type of coverage as the LDE, on the opposite side.

4 - The MIKE guards the middle of the field. This works because our MIKE, Bradley is very good in coverage, as was our MIKE last season is Gaither.

5 - The LCB guards the zone from 5-20 yards down field, and the SS has everything after that. The RCB is in man, and has FS help over the top, but the FS also has to makeup if the MIKE or WILL makes a mistake covering a TE or Slot WR.

This defense can be seen a lot in the New England Game. The reason we shut down Moss, but Welker killed us because he is excellent at finding a hole in the zone.

When Asante Samuel plays man, it will be much like how we used Lito in man, see the following diagram.



Here are the main things

1 - Both S will be shaded to his side a bit, Dawkins will have to play CF, while Mikell will cover for Asante's main mistakes, this gives him more freedom to gamble a bit.

2 - Sheldon is in one-on-one coverage.

3 - Bradley covers the short Middle, while the 2 outside LBs guard the TE and back respectively, depending on where they are line up at.

4 - The entire D-Line is just asked to get up field and attack the QB. Our DTs push the pocket and take up multiple blockers, allowing others to get 1-on-1 match-ups.

This Next Diagram shows a FS Blitz



In this diagram, a few things you should noticed are highlighted as followed:

1 - Sheldon and Asante play deep zone, and Mikell covers CF.

2 - The MIKE LB covers the middle of the field from the line of scrimmage to 15 yards behind, while Gocong and Gaither play a short zone, watching for screens, backfield receivers, as well as covering WRs for the first 10-15 yards

3 - The DL is once again asked to go up field and rush the passer.


The Next Diagram is of a CB Blitz



Here are some things to look for

1 - As Sheldon Blitzes, the FS and WLB combine to cover the void left by the corner.

2 - The SS covers CF, while the Samuel will play a deep zone, and the SLB will cover underneath Samuel.

3 - The DL is again asked to penetrate and an extra blitzer is added.



This final diagram is an overload, where a DE drops into coverage(seen when Trent Cole picked off Eli Manning in 2006)



Notice How:

1 - Sheldon Brown is the only player on the field in Man-to-Man coverage

2 - The MIKE covers the void left by the SAM, while the WILL takes over the short middle. The RDE drops back to cover where the WILL would be.

3 - The FS helps the RCB over the top, while the LCB is in Zone, and the SS is in center.

4 - The left side has 3 blitzers, with the DL only having 2 to block on that side
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colbeagle


Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2812
Location: The Awesome Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was super informative and helpful. I don't feel as concerned about Samuel than I was before.
_________________

^Thanks to PD21 on the sig and Mcnabb05 on the avy.
LONG LIVE THE AWESOME!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RoyRogers


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 1973
Location: Happy Valley
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, I'd love to see more talk about strategy and less about stat predictions and other nonsense.

In your cover 2 play with man coverage underneath, you've got only four man coverage assignments, leaving one back/end/receiver uncovered - is it safe to assume this play is against formation featuring a lead blocker not considered a receiving threat?

Also worth noting is that that FS blitz is simply a textbook Cover three with a safety blitzing instead of playing a short zone.

Very interesting and informative post, I'd love to see more discussion about offensive/defensive strategy.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 15136
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyRogers wrote:
Great post, I'd love to see more talk about strategy and less about stat predictions and other nonsense.

In your cover 2 play with man coverage underneath, you've got only four man coverage assignments, leaving one back/end/receiver uncovered - is it safe to assume this play is against formation featuring a lead blocker not considered a receiving threat?

Also worth noting is that that FS blitz is simply a textbook Cover three with a safety blitzing instead of playing a short zone.

Very interesting and informative post, I'd love to see more discussion about offensive/defensive strategy.


no problem if you want to do that in this thread, go right ahead.

yes its safe to say that, outside of Sellars, no FB inn the NFC scares me.

yea, it is a cover 3, but a lot of people when this play is run simply refer to it as a FS blitz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FlyinDawkins


Joined: 02 Apr 2008
Posts: 9556
Location: The Hinterlands
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that in many 3rd and long situations, the Eagles like to blitz more than one LB/DB, which necessitates man coverage for every remaining DB. These zone blitzes are the exception rather than the norm, at least they were before Samuel. That may change, but it is unusual to change entire schemes to suit one player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UKEaglesFan


Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 9132
Location: Coruscant, Somewhere In A Galaxy Far Far Away
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand the whole concept mainly from many hours of playing as the Eagles on Madden, I always thought it was only a Blitz when you through 5 or more people at the QB.

Is it a Blitz when you send someone other than the D-Line even when one of them is dropping into coverage ie Abiamiri in the 1st picture?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RoyRogers


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 1973
Location: Happy Valley
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKEaglesFan wrote:
While I understand the whole concept mainly from many hours of playing as the Eagles on Madden, I always thought it was only a Blitz when you through 5 or more people at the QB.

Is it a Blitz when you send someone other than the D-Line even when one of them is dropping into coverage ie Abiamiri in the 1st picture?


Yeah, a Zone blitz is simply blitzing a player that normally wouldn't (A LB or DB) and dropping one who normally would into coverage. The advantage of this is the confusion it brings to the line with regards to their blocking assignments.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 15136
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyinDawkins wrote:
Don't forget that in many 3rd and long situations, the Eagles like to blitz more than one LB/DB, which necessitates man coverage for every remaining DB. These zone blitzes are the exception rather than the norm, at least they were before Samuel. That may change, but it is unusual to change entire schemes to suit one player.


yes, but usually this is done when they have 3 corners or more on the field. Still these were plays I saw alot last season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twista6002


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 3222
Location: On the banks of the Raritan, New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet people in the general forum, particularly one Nate Clements fan who will remain anonymous, still fail to recognize how similar our coverage schemes are to New England's.
_________________

Blknite01^
David Akers stat tracker
Field goal attempts beyond 40: 3
Made: 1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
MidniteGreen


Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post. This now makes me feel warm inside about the Asante signing. I felt like JJ knew he'd fit in with our defense, but I didn't quite know how. Now if the rest of the world would see this, maybe he wouldn't be labeled as a system player and a bad signing for the Eagles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RBrown86


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 23114
Location: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very infromative. Excellent post man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FlyinDawkins


Joined: 02 Apr 2008
Posts: 9556
Location: The Hinterlands
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
FlyinDawkins wrote:
Don't forget that in many 3rd and long situations, the Eagles like to blitz more than one LB/DB, which necessitates man coverage for every remaining DB. These zone blitzes are the exception rather than the norm, at least they were before Samuel. That may change, but it is unusual to change entire schemes to suit one player.


yes, but usually this is done when they have 3 corners or more on the field. Still these were plays I saw alot last season.


Please don't take my comment as attempting to attack your post. I agree that the Eagles run their share of zone defenses and zone blitzes. I disagree with your assertion that they do not primarily run man defense, because they tend to run a lot more man defense in passing situations, but that's my only concern with your otherwise excellent post. It simply depends on D&D and field position. I do know that the Eagles use man coverage far more than the Patriots do, which is something that Samuel will have to adjust to. I have said this before, and I'll say it again. Either a corner can cover man to man or he cannot. CBs have very little adjustments that they must make between varying schemes. As long as Samuel can cover man-to-man, he'll be fine. And I seriously doubt that he can't do it. He wouldn't have lasted this long in any scheme if he was unable to do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EAtotheGLE


Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 3570
Location: Hunts-Vegas, Texas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is anymore questions about plays or formations, I can make a graphic and a write up for it.

-EA
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EaglesFan5-36-81


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 15136
Location: Sky is the limit and Space is the place
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyinDawkins wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
FlyinDawkins wrote:
Don't forget that in many 3rd and long situations, the Eagles like to blitz more than one LB/DB, which necessitates man coverage for every remaining DB. These zone blitzes are the exception rather than the norm, at least they were before Samuel. That may change, but it is unusual to change entire schemes to suit one player.


yes, but usually this is done when they have 3 corners or more on the field. Still these were plays I saw alot last season.


Please don't take my comment as attempting to attack your post. I agree that the Eagles run their share of zone defenses and zone blitzes. I disagree with your assertion that they do not primarily run man defense, because they tend to run a lot more man defense in passing situations, but that's my only concern with your otherwise excellent post. It simply depends on D&D and field position. I do know that the Eagles use man coverage far more than the Patriots do, which is something that Samuel will have to adjust to. I have said this before, and I'll say it again. Either a corner can cover man to man or he cannot. CBs have very little adjustments that they must make between varying schemes. As long as Samuel can cover man-to-man, he'll be fine. And I seriously doubt that he can't do it. He wouldn't have lasted this long in any scheme if he was unable to do it.


not taking it at all that way man, just saying, when we blitz multiple LB/DBs, we are usually in a nickle or dime situation. The Eagles run everything out of a 3-4, but they run a whole lot of zone-blitzes, we run a zone on more occasions than man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 37096
Location: Vancouver, Washington
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great post! for those who haven't read it ... please do. thanks again for taking the time to do this!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group