Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tyrod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillSabre

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Tyrod Reply with quote

I've never heard anything but negative comments from Baltimore fans regarding Tyrod. There seems to be quite a few people and fans alike who think he may win the starting job in Buffalo. I'm just looking for opinions, good or bad, from fans of a team he's been on. It's hard for me to believe he could win the spot based on what I've heard in the past. What's your take Ravens fans? Tell it like it is.

Mossburg wrote:
He fears the end of games more than he does bread crumbs. (James Harden)
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyrod Reply with quote

BillSabre wrote:
I've never heard anything but negative comments from Baltimore fans regarding Tyrod. There seems to be quite a few people and fans alike who think he may win the starting job in Buffalo. I'm just looking for opinions, good or bad, from fans of a team he's been on. It's hard for me to believe he could win the spot based on what I've heard in the past. What's your take Ravens fans? Tell it like it is.

I would assume a lot of what you heard is negative due to folks saying Matt Schaub was some sort of downgrade. Tyrod was very good for what he was, a a 6th round pick who provided a cheap backup and would be able to provide a different dimension if he had to come in the game for whatever reason, but that's about it. He never really developed into anything that resembles an NFL starting QB. He has a pretty strong arm (average to above average by NFL standards), but is very much a spray thrower who lacks the accuracy and touch to be succesful at the NFL level in a starting capacity. Obviously he has great speed for the position and is solidly built. He's listed at 6' and measured 6'1" according to his combine page, but I think it's more so the former. Again, he's not frail, so it's not a durability issue, but he has a low, straight release which causes a problem with regard to throwing lanes.

When we drafted him, I was thinking that he could be a guy who develops for 4 years then ends up walking for a decent "let's see if he can start" contract, netting a 5th or 6th round comp, but he never really showed progression that would warrant that sort of look from another team. I think in Buffalo he ends up being a decent backup, but that's about it.

That all said, I would love to see Tyrod prove me wrong. I have no reason to wish him ill and he appears to have been the consummate professional during his time in Baltimore.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be stunned if Taylor wins a starting QB role anywhere regardless of who his competition is. He's fast and quick but that's about it. I don't think his arm is all that strong but that's coming from seeing the difference between him and Flacco so he might be adequate in that regard. But like sp6488 said Taylor lacks accuracy. A decent comparison would be Dennard Robinson, although he's a bit better as a thrower but not as good athletically.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always liked Tyrod but he just doesn't really have the tools to be a permanent starter. sp did a good job above describing him -- decent enough arm, good athletic ability, but his accuracy leaves a lot to be desired and he struggles finding clear throwing lanes. He very often had balls float on him which isn't something you want in the NFL. He's a good enough backup that can come in and give them a different look and make some plays with his legs but anything longer than maybe a game or 2 and you're in trouble.

reckless123 wrote:

Logic really isnt my strong suit.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I would be stunned if Taylor wins a starting QB role anywhere regardless of who his competition is. He's fast and quick but that's about it. I don't think his arm is all that strong but that's coming from seeing the difference between him and Flacco so he might be adequate in that regard. But like sp6488 said Taylor lacks accuracy. A decent comparison would be Dennard Robinson, although he's a bit better as a thrower but not as good athletically.

My comparison would be a bit less accurate Manziel.

reckless123 wrote:

Logic really isnt my strong suit.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyrod Reply with quote

BillSabre wrote:

Tyrod is not a starting QB. He's great athletically but has Tebow-esque passing abilities.

onejayhawk wrote:
The Ravens with Schaub win a tough division.

^Rammy
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tyrod Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
BillSabre wrote:

Tyrod is not a starting QB. He's great athletically but has Tebow-esque passing abilities.

Eh, I think you are taking a shot at Tebow more so than making a direct comparison. One thing I forgot to mention about Tyrod is that he has a fast, wrist-flick type of release, so he can get rid of the ball fast. Tebow's wind up was always a knock on him. I think Tebow throws a better deep ball than Tryod (not that it says much for either of them). Also, he has a better release point IMO than Tyrod, whose is terrible. I felt like the ball was always zinging by linemen's heads. Not that Tebow was some great pocket passer at all, I just think that he and Tryod's skillsets, or lack thereof don't really match up that well. Even on the run, Tebow is more of a fullback type runner, while Tyrod is more of a scat back or receiver after the catch type.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

My comparison would be a bit less accurate Manziel.

I think he's definitely a better pro QB than Robinson. The Ravens went cheap with backup QB due to Flacco's durability and the ability to use resources elsewhere on the roster, but they wouldn't have gone with a Shoelaces-level thrower.

Less accurate Manziel is a pretty decent. I know it seems like a lazy comparison, but I think it's a decent one... A harder-working Marcus Vick. Similar snap release, good athleticism (Tyrod's probably not even on the level of the lesser Vick, though, TBH), adequate to slightly-plus arm, spray throwers, approx 6' and compactly built. The biggest difference would be that Tyrod appears to be a better teammate and person who actually works at his craft.

The thing about JF, despite his lack of success thus far, he does have an intangible playmaking ability (whether it can work in the pros is up for debate) that I don't think Tyrod ever had or will have.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tyrod. Most of his strengths/weaknesses have been covered. Good arm strength, obviously great speed/athleticism. Seems like he struggles putting touch on the ball to me (i.e. like Kaepernick).

If he wins the job, my guy says Buffalo is picking pretty high in the draft next year. But Buffalo might be picking high if Cassel or Manuel wins it too.

We know what Cassel and EJ can do. They've had enough time to show who they are for the most part. Truthfully I don't think Tyrod can be much worse than either of them in an extended role as a starter. The other thing to consider is the read option possibilities. And with Tyrod, you can run that type of system with not much worry. And what I mean by that is there is no RG3 or Kaepernick type investment that you are worried about wrecking due to injury. That sounds like it's in bad taste to Tyrod, but it's true. May as well let him run free, because that's the only way I think you maximize his potential and see him being even viable.

I'll be rooting for him, I really hope he wins it and does well. He seemed like a great teammate and professional during his time. More likely than not he'll fail, but he has some tools, he could be better than we think. His sample size is small, and I think there's a least a little something to be said for the fact that we had him as our only backup for 4 years.
BrandonK

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rooting for Tyrod, but I doubt he'll ever be more than a backup. Not a good passer
Groink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can make plays with his feet. Hell of an athlete. Just doesn't quite have the arm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: