Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hockey's Top 50 Franchise Players (#1/2 UP!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkblades

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how an injury that leaves Crosby out for nearly half a year, and suddenly people are putting Malkin over him, no questions asked. Malkin's defensive game isn't stellar, and while it's debatable if he will even be a top notch defensive forward (he may have the physical tools, but it's his desire to be a defensive stalwart that's in question), Crosby is a better defensive forward right now.

When Malkin's on the ice, his team scores 3.74 goals per 60 minutes, and allows 2.71 goals per 60 minutes. When Crosby's on the ice, his team scores 3.92 goals per 60 minutes, and allows 2.51 goals per 60 minutes.

Since Crosby was injured this past season, let's look at the 2006-2007 stats. When Malkin was on the ice, his team scored 3.68 goals/60 minutes, while allowing 3.04 goals/60 minutes. When Crosby was on the ice, his team scored 3.56 goals/60 minutes, and allowed 2.37 goals/60 minutes.

So Malkin better defensively than Crosby on ice? That's not what the stats show. And teammate quality is negligible because they both play with some serious talent. Oh yeah, Crosby is over 50% in faceoff win percentage. Malkin? Barely crosses 30%. I would be sweating bullets if Malkin's on the ice in the defensive zone.

gseabrook26 wrote:
Are you really insinuating that Tavares is a 150 point player in the NHL? The same Tavares who skates like a house leaguer, can't pass the puck to save his life, and is painfully average in his own end. Tavares won't even be the best player in the 'O' next year. That title will belong to Taylor Hall.

I completely agree it was a ridiculous statement that Tavares is a 150-point player (I'm not sure what that even means), but you're making a lot of exaggerating points as well. I mean, for a guy who can't pass a lick, I guess his 78 assists were nothing, which by the way, was second in the entire OHL behind MVP Justin Azevedo.

Is skating an issue with Tavares? Yes, it is, but he has the drive to improve it and Tavares has acknowledged that is something he needs to work on. Considering he's spending most of his offseason with skating, if he can skate as close as Jason Spezza (remember, skating was Spezza's criticism coming into his draft), Tavares has the elite vision, shot, and offensive talent to be fine. Tavares isn't billed as a defensive forward, and no one is envisioning him to become one. It's Tavares' offensive talent, which has the potential to be very, very good that has scouts drooling. Taylor Hall is a wonderful player in his own right. But let's actually see this upcoming OHL season before we crown Hall head and shoulders above Tavares or any other player for that matter.

The Greatest Photographs of the NFL
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1- Sidney Crosby, C, Pittsburgh Penguins

Sidney wins the number one spot on my top 50 franchise list. There is not a player in the league I would take over to start my franchise with besides Crosby. Last season he showed you he has emerged as a leader, he's matured, and he's gotten damn good in his own zone. He's a hard worker and he wants to win. He brings fire and energy along with his endless amounts of talent. We've all seen his dazzling moves and shot, but he's so much more then that now and he is going to be the star of the NHL for the for see able future. After being drafted #1 overall by the Penguins in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, he finished sixth in scoring with 102 points in his rookie season after the lock out. By his second season, he led the NHL with 120 points (36 goals, 84 assists) to capture the Art Ross Trophy, becoming the youngest player and the only teenager to win a scoring title in any major North American sports league.That same season, Crosby won the Hart Memorial Trophy as the most valuable player as determined by the Professional Hockey Writers Association, and the Lester B. Pearson Award as the most valuable player as determined by the NHL Players Association. He is the seventh player in NHL history to earn the three highest honours, which are the highest individual awards for an NHL forward. Last season was cut short to 53 games due to injury, but in those 53 games Sidney compiled 72 points and in 20 playoff games he compiled 27 points to lead the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Finals. Crosby has scored some dazzling goals already and has become the poster boy of the NHL, and for good reason. Sidney Crosby is the face of the NHL, love him or hate him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egt-nwZ6Ym8

#2- Evgeni Malkin, C, Pittsburgh Penguins

Malkin comes in at two for a number of reasons. One is he has so much room to grow. He hasn't even fully fit into his body and will be a force in the NHL for years and years to come. Malkin, if he wants, can get better defensivley as well. He's already better then Ovie back there, but that isn't saying much. Malkin has the size, speed, play making abilities, shot, and slap shot to be a dominant force. He plays the point on the PP for the Penguins, makes some very nice passes, and has a great wrist shot. Malkin brings energy as well. He belongs at center and the Pens must keep him there. Line mates are going to be an issue with him and Crosby in the upcoming years, Malkin has already lost one of his in Ryan Malone this off-season. Once Malkin matures into his body, works on his defense, and improves even more in the offensive zone he'll surpass Ovie and be perhaps the most dominant player in the league. The Russian super star was Chosen second overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft by the Penguins, Malkin's career in the NHL was delayed because of an international transfer dispute until 2006-07, in which he captured the Calder Memorial Trophy as the league's best rookie. In his second season, he helped carry Pittsburgh to the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals and was a runner-up for the Hart Memorial Trophy. In his rookie season he compiled 33 goals and 52 assists for a total of 85 points in the Calder season. Last season he brokeout, especially after the Crosby injury compiling 47 goals and 59 assist for 106 points. Then in the post-season he scored 22 points in 20 games for the Penguins as they went to the Finals. He's played for Russia multiple times the World Championships and World Junior Championships. Malkin's sophomore season culminated in a Hart Memorial Trophy nomination as league MVP (won by Alexander Ovechkin) and First Team All-Star honours. On July 2, 2008, with one year left in his entry-level contract, he signed a contract extension with the Penguins for $43.5 million over five years.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
bkblades

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, BirdsFan06050. I'll have my thoughts about the overall list at a later time, but you finally completed the list. Fun to read.

Although I'm sure it'll be quite awhile before doing another one, eh? Wink

The Greatest Photographs of the NFL
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkblades wrote:
Congrats, BirdsFan06050. I'll have my thoughts about the overall list at a later time, but you finally completed the list. Fun to read.

Although I'm sure it'll be quite awhile before doing another one, eh? Wink

Yes, Laughing, It'll be awhile before I do another one. Thanks for the comments.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
this providence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reads Birdsfan. Thanks for all your work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
Good reads Birdsfan. Thanks for all your work.

Yes definitely. All of them were knowledgeable write-ups with no mis-info really.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I don't think Tavares will put up 150, BUT I do think he will lead the league in scoring for a while.

Him and Ovechkin will be fighting for the Rocket Richard for years to come. And I believe that he will be top 10 in assists.

Special player right there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCP wrote:
For the record, I don't think Tavares will put up 150, BUT I do think he will lead the league in scoring for a while.

Him and Ovechkin will be fighting for the Rocket Richard for years to come. And I believe that he will be top 10 in assists.

Special player right there.

I don't know. I think he's a Jason Spezza, but that's me. Not player wise, but hype wise.
TCP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I just really believe from what I have seen he can/will dominate.

He has stud oozing out of his hairline for me Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job on the list. It was fun to read and debate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Birdsfan, just saw this thread in your sig a few days ago, and it took me that long to read through it. I thought it looked pretty good all around, only player I thought got shafted was Rick Nash. I think if he is on a better team, he'll be something even more special.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
tdfast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think Ovie is the least complete player out of the top three? Are you crazy? He's a better scorer, a better playmaker and hits more than Malkin and Crosby put together. I take Crosby as #1 but Ovie is the best player in the league. And my favourite thing about his is it's impossible to watch 5 minutes of a Caps game and not notice him somehow. Malkin will disappear for entire games and Crosby doesn't always stand out. Ovechkin stands out every shift of every game.
TCP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ovechkin plays the least defense out of the 3...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdfast wrote:
You think Ovie is the least complete player out of the top three? Are you crazy? He's a better scorer, a better playmaker and hits more than Malkin and Crosby put together. I take Crosby as #1 but Ovie is the best player in the league. And my favourite thing about his is it's impossible to watch 5 minutes of a Caps game and not notice him somehow. Malkin will disappear for entire games and Crosby doesn't always stand out. Ovechkin stands out every shift of every game.

I said clearly in the Ovechkin analysis that he is currently the best player in the league.
mm6492

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdfast wrote:

I am a huge Ovie fan but....

1. He might hit the most but is not the best defender

2. Crosby is a better playmaker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: