Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hockey's Top 50 Franchise Players (#1/2 UP!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^

He's barely under the age. If I'm building a franchise I want to go very young. Phaneuf is thus the better option. Plus a franchise dman is harder to come across than a forward. Though Zettererg can go both ways. Phaneuf is learning to do it as well, and by the time he is Henrik's age he will be an elite defensive player.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4- Dion Phaneuf, D, Calgary Flames

Dion Phaneuf was drafted ninth overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft by the Calgary Flames and completed his run in the Western Hockey League for the Red Deer Rebels in the spring of 2005. He was picked a pick after Braydon Coburn, sorry Braydon. Dion is a big d man who uses his size fully. He is always going for the hit, which is some what entertaining, but also has become a weakness. He has started to go for the big hit a bit too much and he needs to concentrate on playing in his own end more and not getting caught. He has a wicked slap shot and amazing offensive fire power for a d man. He'll likely win plenty of Norris trophies in his years with the Flames. Phaneuf earned the rookie of the month award for November as recognized by the NHL. Hockey's Future listed him as their #3 prospect behind Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby and said that he would likely win the James Norris Memorial Trophy at some point in his career. He broke the Calgary Flames' team record for goals by a rookie defenceman, which was 18 by Gary Suter. Phaneuf was named the hardest hitter in the NHL by the players in just his second season. He's now a two-time all-star, 2007 and 2008. He now will shine on the cover of NHL 09 next season. He scored 20 goals his rookie year and 17 each of the following two seasons. he had a career year last year though with 63 total points. As soon as he he ups his defense he will be the best d man in the NHL, for now I'd still take Lidstrom and Pronger, but not for long, Dion will surely get better and become the dominant force on the NHL blue line.

#3- Alexander Ovechkin, W, Washington Capitals

Right now, the best player in the NHL hands down, but as for starting a franchise and considering the next few years, he's the least complete player of the top three super stars. He's also a winger and I'd prefer a center when I'm starting a franchise, but either way Alex deserves a lot of credit for what he's done so far. Alex has great size, six foot two and at 217 pounds, he has speed, a laser slap shot, and the best wrist shot in the NHL and you let him shoot it, it's going in. Drafted #1 overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Alex has lived up to it fully. Following the 2004-05 NHL lockout, Alexander Ovechkin played his first game with the Capitals on October 5, 2005, scoring two goals in a 3-2 victory over Columbus. He also has memorable goal in his rookie year when he fell on the ice and on the ice while sliding he tapped in a goal, a beauty. On February 1, 2006, Ovechkin was named NHL Rookie of the Month for January 2006 as well as being named Offensive Player of the Month, becoming only the third player in NHL history to earn both honors in a single month. After the season ended, Ovechkin received the Calder Memorial Trophy, awarded to the NHL's best rookie. Alex Ovechkin finished the 2007-08 NHL season as the leader in points with 112 and goals with 65, and was awarded both the Art Ross Trophy and the Rocket Richard Trophy. He then won the NHL MVP, the Hart Trophy. Alex lacks any type of real defensive work though. He was a -17 a year before last season but improved t a +29 this year because of all the points he got. He needs to work on getting back, he's not as bad as Semin, but it needs work. He got caught a lot in the playoffs where he lead his Caps, but they failed to get to the second round losing a Game 7 heartbreaker to the Flyers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Ovechkin2.gif
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who the top two guys are. Wink

Great job with this, BirdsFan!

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge hockey guy, but I feel much more knowledgable about it after reading through the top 50. Malkin and Crosby 1-2 on the Pens huh? So how many Stanley Cups are they supposed to win?

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
TCP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
Not a huge hockey guy, but I feel much more knowledgable about it after reading through the top 50. Malkin and Crosby 1-2 on the Pens huh? So how many Stanley Cups are they supposed to win?

As far as Malkin takes them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCP wrote:
^^^^

He's barely under the age. If I'm building a franchise I want to go very young. Phaneuf is thus the better option. Plus a franchise dman is harder to come across than a forward. Though Zettererg can go both ways. Phaneuf is learning to do it as well, and by the time he is Henrik's age he will be an elite defensive player.

I had a brain cramp. Wasn't think about Phaneuf. He should def. be there. My top 5 would actually be (I know I will get ripped apart

1. Ovechkin
2. Phaneuf
3. Malkin
4. Zetterburg
5. Crosby

Ovechkin plays 2-ways and is so so so dangerous to play against. He can score from anywhere Phaneuf is a very good d-man who will be great by the time it is all said and done. malkin has the size and can be a better player then crosby IMO. Zetterburg showed in the finals that he is better. He plays in a more defensive oriented system and will never score 150 points, but his 2-way game and leadership gives him a slight edge over Crosby. And Crosby is still a great player, but I like the other 3 more.

This is all my opinion and it is an impossible list to make. I just do not think corosby-malkin are 1-2. thats just my opinion. Many people will not agree with me, I will be suprised if anyone does.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:

None they dont have have the depth or defense to win the cup.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
TCP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ovechkin plays 2-ways and is so so so dangerous to play against. He can score from anywhere Phaneuf is a very good d-man who will be great by the time it is all said and done. malkin has the size and can be a better player then crosby IMO. Zetterburg showed in the finals that he is better. He plays in a more defensive oriented system and will never score 150 points, but his 2-way game and leadership gives him a slight edge over Crosby. And Crosby is still a great player, but I like the other 3 more.

Ovechkin is the worst of the three going back. Phaneuf isn't great at the back yet, but it's coming. He'll be great in about 2-3 years. He should go for 70 points this year too.

Malkin is the better player than Crosby, at both ends too. I'm not being racist or whatever, but Crosby really is only considered better because of the hype he's add because he's Canadian. Switch Malkin and Crosby's nationalities and I think Malkin would be the consensus better player.

Zetterberg is quite old for building a franchise. Only generational talents will score 150 points(Tavares). Though he is the best defensively of the 4. Now Gaborik would be in this discussion if not higher if he was a Red Wing.

Quote:
This is all my opinion and it is an impossible list to make. I just do not think corosby-malkin are 1-2. thats just my opinion. Many people will not agree with me, I will be suprised if anyone does.

Birds loves Crosby. I think he should be 4th personally, but whatever. It's still a good list.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go:
1. Ovechkin
2. Crosby
3. Phaneuf
4. Malkin
5a. Kovalchuk
5b. Richards
7a. Kopitar
7b. Lundqvist

but that's just me. No complaints, there isn't anyone in the top 10 that doesn't deserve to be there.

Anyone think Birds will put Malkin ahead of Crosby?

Bruins // Patriots // Red Sox // Chelsea
#JDI
mm6492

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ovechkin is the worst of the three going back. Phaneuf isn't great at the back yet, but it's coming. He'll be great in about 2-3 years. He should go for 70 points this year too.

I have Ovechkin so high because when you play the capitals, your gameplan is around ovechkin, no one else, yet he still puts up insane stats. He is a good defensive player and I love his passion

Quote:
Malkin is the better player than Crosby, at both ends too. I'm not being racist or whatever, but Crosby really is only considered better because of the hype he's add because he's Canadian. Switch Malkin and Crosby's nationalities and I think Malkin would be the consensus better player.

I agree with this

Quote:
Zetterberg is quite old for building a franchise. Only generational talents will score 150 points(Tavares). Though he is the best defensively of the 4. Now Gaborik would be in this discussion if not higher if he was a Red Wing.

I didnt mean 15, I meant like a ton of point that Crosby might put up. I am tired of hearing how good Gabortik would be in a different system.team. I love him but you can not always say its teh team.

Quote:
Birds loves Crosby. I think he should be 4th personally, but whatever. It's still a good list.

agreed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCP wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Malkin can't even hold Crosby's jock in terms of defensive play. He chases the puck more than any player I've ever seen. Not to mention he couldn't be any worse at defensive zone faceoffs. I guess faceoffs aren't that important are they?

Are you really insinuating that Tavares is a 150 point player in the NHL? The same Tavares who skates like a house leaguer, can't pass the puck to save his life, and is painfully average in his own end. Tavares won't even be the best player in the 'O' next year. That title will belong to Taylor Hall.
TCP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have Ovechkin so high because when you play the capitals, your gameplan is around ovechkin, no one else, yet he still puts up insane stats. He is a good defensive player and I love his passion

Mike Green? Backstrom? Semin? Soon to be Alzner?

Quote:
I didnt mean 15, I meant like a ton of point that Crosby might put up. I am tired of hearing how good Gabortik would be in a different system.team. I love him but you can not always say its teh team.

In his case it is the team. He plays in a grueling defensive system which won't allow him to exploit his strengths. Which are his shots. Gaborik is up there with Kovalchuk in terms of shooting and points in terms of talent. Thing is Gaborik is better at defense than him BUT he scores less points.

I fail too see how if you switched Kovalchuk and Gaborik right now or in the beginning, how Gaborik suddenly leaps over Kovalchuk.

I'll take Gaborik over Richards, Kopitar and Kovalchuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCP wrote:
Quote:

Green is the only 1 who you might have to. Ovechkin needs you full attention when evber he is on the ice. he is more explosive then Crosby and can score in any situation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every team basically has that player or one to be like that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm6492 wrote:
TCP wrote:
Quote:

Green is the only 1 who you might have to. Ovechkin needs you full attention when evber he is on the ice. he is more explosive then Crosby and can score in any situation

He's more explosive, but he's not a better all around player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: