Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hockey's Top 50 Franchise Players (#1/2 UP!!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Hockey's Top 50 Franchise Players (#1/2 UP!!) Reply with quote

Top 50 Hockey Franchise Players

Well, Football had there's and with Basketball and Baseball now starting theirs, I thought, why not have it for the best sport in the world? Hockey. I can't wait to get this going. I've given my opinion on some of the other ones, but Hockey is probably my most knowledgable sport. There are so many great young faces in the game, and it's going to be hard narrowing it down to just 50 guys. In the older days, the stars of the game in the 90's were Chris Chelios, Eric Lindros, Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, John LeClair, Jaromir Jagr, Joe Sakic, Wayne Gretzky, Patrick Roy, Peter Forsberg, Sergei Fedorov, and more. Now we turn to Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Dion Phaneuf, Henrik Zetterberg, Alexandre Ovechkin, and more. Who are the Top 50 Young Stars of the new 2008 National Hockey League!

Starting from Monday, June 16th, I'll have a player per day and we will work our way from down from #50 to finally the #1 Franchise face of the NHL. My list is not complete, so I'm also looking to see what other people think of certain players. You can either tell me some guys from your own team, or give me guys who you think should definently be on the list. As Gordie Howe said the other night at the Award ceremonies, the NHL may have more young talented players right now then ever coming through the system. The 2003 NHL Entry Draft has a ton of players on this list, and many think this upcoming draft can be very good as well. With Stamkos, Filatov, VanRiemsdyk, Turris, Chereponov, and others still on the way, hockey is set for years and years to come. The level of talent combined with the new games more speed mentality, will showcase a lot of these guys talents that you might not have seen in the old NHL. Examples are Danny Briere, Patrick Kane, Claude Giroux, and other shorter guys who will or are showcasing their talents. If you're a hockey fan you've got to like the talent that is flowing into the league. It's making every game more exciting to watch.

Rules

-Player Must be 27 or younger

-Player must have played in the NHL for at least 25 games (No Stamkos, Tavares, Turris, VanRiemer, Filatov, etc.)

#50- Brandon Dubinsky, C, New York Rangers

Dubinsky is a fantastic talent. A rookie from last year, he ended up in the NHL Young Stars game and I got the pleasure of watching him quite a bit this season against my Flyers and in the playoffs. Dubinsky is never afraid to hit, in fact he led all rookies in hits last season, but besides that he brings a great presence to a team. With the skill level to become a #1 or #2 line center, Dubinsky can play on the penalty kill, meaning he is solid in his own end, and he's not afraid to get scrappy on the Power play and stand in front of the net. Dubinsky has great size and he uses all of it, at 6'1" and 215 pounds, he's a bull when he hits you. Dubinsky was Jagr's primary center throughout the season and was one of the Rangers best players last season. Dubinsky was a 2nd round selection in the 2004 NHL Draft by the Bluehsirts and is only the second ever Alaskan born player in the NHL. The other, teammate Scottie Gomez. Dubinsky has two former all-star veteran centermen to learn from as well in Gomez and Drury. Dubinksy scored 14 goals and put up 40 points in his impressive rookie season. He also finished with a +8. This guy may not be as skilled as a lot of the guys on this list, but he's a very good young gritty center who is going to be a big player for the Rangers for years to come.

#49- Jack Johnson, D, Los Angeles Kings

Many may question why Jack is ahead of certain defenseman who did not make the list, but the reason why Jack makes the list is the potential that he brings to the table. Jack is a big guy, who can shoot, play good in his own zone, and hit. I watched Jack a few times this season and in fact he had one of his best games of the year against the Flyers. Jack is inconsistent right now in the NHL, but in some games he takes them over. He has so much size, talent, and ability and we saw glimpses of it last season in his rookie season with the Los Angeles Kings. He was on the worst team in the Western Conference, therefore struggling a bit, especially with the +/-, however I think Jack will come into his own soon enough and be a very good top 2 dman, likely with Hickey, for years to come. The Kings have a good young blueline and Jack has Rob Blake teaching him in LA. Jack did not have a great first year, but makes the list because of how much potential he has in the future. Johnson wasn't the only rookie dman to struggle this season, just look at Eric Johnson, but he is on this list as well. Jack is a player i really like, and a player that I think will thrive once he gets consistent and gets going. Jack has a nasty edge that I love watching, he's never afraid to hit, but sometimes he gets caught doing it. Jack was the 3rd overall rated prospect headed into this season by Hockey's Future, behind only Patrick Kane and Eric Johnson. Johnson was originally drafted by Carolina #3 Overall, but was traded to the LA Kings. He played for the University of Michigan and is American Born.

#48- Phil Kessel, C, Boston Bruins

Kessel was drafted 5th overall by the Boston Bruins in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Kessel, like Johnson, is on this list because of his potential and because of the unbelievable glimpses that he has shown. His playoff performances in the Games 5 and 6 of the playoffs for the Bruins against the Canadiens were unbelievable. Kessel has all the moves in the world, which he shows you in shootouts when he rarely ever misses. However, he needs to find away to be more then a shootout player. He gets pushed around a little too much, so he needs to get his weight up this off-season. Other then that, he's got the moves, he's an unbelievable skater, maybe one of the best in the game, and has a wicked wrist shot. Kessel played college at the University of Minnesota. Also like Johnson, he is a US born player and came from their development program. Kessel was diagnosed with cancer, testicular, but fought it off and received the Bill Masteron Trophy from the NHL in 2007. Phil was invited to the Young Stars game in 2007 as well. Phil recorded 19 goals and 39 points this season for the Boston Bruins in 82 games. Phil is not a good two-way player yet, which is something he needs to try and work on as well. Kessel is the future of Boston though and he's got to turn out to what people expect him to for their franchise to be successful.

#47- Zach Parise, Winger, New Jersey Devils

Zach isn't a kid I'm ultra high on, but he's a classic Devil. Brought up in the system, a two-way player, not a natural goal scorer, but a guy who can put the puck in the back in the net, and he possesses good size and speed. Parise exploded with a great first half this season, but faded a bit in the second half. He isn't surrounded by a lot of talent in New Jersey, but he's been there best offensive player by a mile in the past two seasons. He's the future face of the Devils once Martin finally hangs 'em up. I don't see Parise getting much better, which is why I have him here at #47. He was a first round draft choice of the Devils in the famous 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He was drafted #17 overall by the Devils. He's only 23 years of age and hails from Minnesota, he's the fourth USA player to appear on this oddly. In his rookie year he was not impressive only getting 32 points in 82 games in the 2005 NHL seasons. However in 81 games in the next season he collected 31 goals and 31 assists to get 62 points on the season. He pretty much put up the same numbers this season, with 32 goals and 33 assists in 78 games during the year. He's a great young player, but as far as development, I think he's a kid that isn't going to do much more. He's a 60+ point player, who brings smart and two-way hockey along with 30 goals.

#46- Jordan Staal, Center, Pittsburgh Penguins

Staal is a great young player. Many would say he needs to be higher, but as far as skill and talent wise he's right where he should be. He's not going to score much more in my opinion. He's already developed into his body, unlike teammate Evgeni Malkin. Staal will be a third liner for life likely, but he fits the role for the Penguins perfectly. He's a defensive shut down center and one of the best already in the game. Staal possesses great size and strength and he uses it much like Dubinsky. Staal has always been a big name from when he was younger because of his older brother Eric, already a cup champion and a name that will appear high on this list. He also has a brother Marc, a very nice young player, who is on the Blueshirts. Jordan was drafted #2 overall by the Penguins in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He is the second player from that class to appear on this list. Jordan is the first Canadian on the list and first non-American. In 2006 CHL named Jordan the top prospect in the world, and Jordan was the only player out of that class to come in and play in the NHL in the next season. The reason was because he is already very developed for a 18 year old then and now at 19 years of age, he doesn't seem to be a player who is going to grow much more. Jordan busted out his rookie year with 29 goals and 13 assists, however he only scored 12 goals last season. I think 20 is a good number to look for in years to come for Jordan. The Penguins don't need him to be a 30 goal scorer. Either way, Jordan's +/- has always been good since he joined the NHL and he's always thinking defense first. He is different from many players on this list, who are on here because of offensive skill like Kessel or Ovechkin, etc.

#45- Duncan Keith, D, Blackhawks

The young defenseman made his first all-star team last season and honored the Chicago Blackhawks in the game. At the age of 24, Duncan is starting to breakout and mature into a great young dman. The Blackhawks are loaded with young dman including Cam Baker and another man who will appear on this list in Brent Seabrook. Duncan was drafted 54th overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, a second rounder. Keith is first known for scoring a big goal for Michigan State in the outdoor game between Michigan and Michigan State, Ryan Miller also played in that game. Duncan was born in Canada and is the second Canadian to appear on the list. Duncan isn't a hue guy, but he is six foot weighing near 190 pounds. Duncan lead the Blackhawks with a +30 last season despite being on a team that finished near the bottom in the Western Conference. He scored 12 goals and recorded 20 assists for a total of 32 points. His strength is his own zone, where he is deadly. He uses all of his size and intellegience to be a mature defender. He's always in the right spots and rarely makes mistakes. Being a +30 on that team is mightily impressive. He has some nice offensive raw skill as well and Keith is going to be a great dman for years to come with the Blackhawks and he'll likely find himself back on the All-Star team soon enough.

#44- Mike Komisarek, D, Montreal Canadiens

You gotta love this kid. What a player, he plays his heart out every game and has such great talent to go with it. Perhaps the future captain of the Canadiens, Komisarek is a young dman who loves to hit and he plays abolsutely stellar defense. Paired with Andrei Markov, those two make up one of the top pairings in the NHL. Komisarek, now 26, was drafted 7th Overall in the 2001 NHl Entry Draft. Komisarek went to college after he was drafted and played for the University of Michigan. He's a mean hard nosed stay at home guy who uses all of his six foot four and 240 pound size to crunch people as often as he can. He's a Dion Phaneuf, but rather the offense he focuses on defense. Komisarek who some offensive talent though, he has a decent slap shot from the point that he often tries to use as well. Komisarek has posted 19 points and 17 points in the past two seasons with 4 goals in each season. He was a +9 this season and a +7 last season. Komisarek will continue to grow and get better in his own zone as he matures in the big hockey city of Montreal. He's a fantastic player player who anybody would want on their team. He's got to be a name mentioned when you're thinking of great young dman.

#43- Brent Seabrook, D, Chicago Blackhawks

Seabrook hasn't performed as well as teammate Duncan Keith, but the upside on this game is to the sky. One of the best young dman in the game, Seabrook as at the top of the great young core of Dman that the Chicago Blackhawks posses. He had 9 goals and 23 assists last season and many scouts think he can get a lot more. He possesses a great shot from the point and can set up a PP very well. Seabrook played in 2004, 2005, and 2006 in the WJC for Canada and played a season with the Norfolk Admirals, so he's been slowly brought up by the Blackhawks and the rewards are starting to pay off big time. He had a +15 on a losing team last season. He is solid in both ends of the ice, but many love his raw offensive upside. Seabrook was selected 14th overall by the Blackhawks in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. Seabrook's most prized possession is his combination of size and speed, much like Braydon Coburn, but not as tall. He can skate great and has great poise for a young dman. Look for him to join teammate Duncan Keith in the All-Star game soon enough.

#42- Patrice Bergeron, C/W, Boston Bruins

I've always been a big fan of Patrice Bergeron. He reminds me a lot of Flyers prospect and fellow French Canadian Claude Giroux. Patrice is a playmaking winger, who can also score himself. Patrice would be a few spots higher if it wasn't for the injury, but I do think he'll bounce back fine, or at least I hope so. Bergeron was majorly concussed from a accidental hit from behind. Maybe I'm biast, but in the replay Randy Jones isn't even looking at him. Patrice ducked towards the end of the hit and what happened was terrible. Either way, Patrice has tremendous skill. Drafted in the infmaous 2003 NHL Entry Draft, at 45th overall in the second round, Patrice was a great find. He was MVP of the WJC in 2005, as part of a team that included Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Sidney Crosby, and other great young players appearing on this list. In his second season he posted 42 assists and 31 goals and did something along the same lines in the season after. He has progressed very well so far in the NHL. He went in the second round because he lacks size and is small, much like Flyers prospect Claude Giroux. He is great on the PP with his great playmaking abilities and good shot. One of my favorites to watch on the PP.

#41- Peter Mueller, C, Phoenix Coyotes

The Coyotes are in a great spot. The Great One has setup their team unbelivably. With the Jokinen trade coming they now pair him with Doan, Mueller, Turris, and now Boedker for the future. They are pretty stacked offensivley. Jovanovski leads the way on the defense with Ilya in goal. Mueler is a special talent, I don't like him as much as I love Mikkel Boedker, but they are pretty similair. Mueller has the ability to play the point on the PP, has tons of speed and skill, a great shot, and more. Peter Mueller was the 8th Overall Selection in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft and had a great rookie season last year. Like other prospects Phil Kessel, James van Riesmdyk, Jack Johnson, and more Peter Mueller came out of the USA Development Program. In 2007 Peter won the Best Draft Prospect award in the WHL. Peter had 78 points in 51 games in the WHL that season and Gretzky decided it was time for him to hit the NHL. He first struggled in the NHL, but he had a huge second half for the Coyotes and was one of the best rookies last season, and yet he got little attention. 22 goals and 32 assists led to 54 points in 81 games as a rookie. His speed, shot, and skill led him to this. Mueller still has two-way skill to work on, but it's not like he's terrible or incapable of learning that like someone named Alexandre Semin, but he has a lot of work to do. I consider him pretty raw, so to have that season last year shows me Peter is a pretty skilled young player.

#40- Alexandre Semin, W, Washington Capitals

Semin is a great offensive talent. He has a wicked wrist shot and decent speed for his size. Semin is the first Capital and Russian to appear on the list. I've seen Semin quite a bit and like him, but He can't be much higher on the list with his defensive liabilities. Semin gets lost a lot, doesn't hustle back, and lacks any sort of defensive skill. However, his offensive upside alone puts him #40 on the list. Semin's shot has got to be one of the best in the league and some of the moves he pulls off makes him look like Ovechkin. The problem is he's too inconsistent. However, the Caps just need him to be a 1st or 2nd line winger and he'll do just that for them. He's been learning a lot very quickly from Sergei Fedorov, keeping Sergei around would be great for Alexandre. Semin was selected 12th overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft by the Washington Capitlas out of Russia. He finally got to the Caps last season and posted 72 points in 77 games including 38 goals! He looked too good to be true. He took a step back last season and caught some injuries. He had 42 points in 62 games this year including 26 goals. Semin was also the MVP of the Russian WJC team in 2006 posting 13 points including 9 goals in 9 games for Team Russia that year. He played for the WJC 3 times in 2004, 2005, and 2006 before heading to the NHL in 2007. Semin is entering his third season next year and hopes to improve more.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

Last edited by BirdsFan06050 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:20 am; edited 36 times in total
TCP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Schenn is the exception for games right Wink ?

Dion should be top 5. Malkin numero uno.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCP wrote:
Malkin numero uno.

Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin?

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCP wrote:
Luke Schenn is the exception for games right Wink ?

Dion should be top 5. Malkin numero uno.

We'll see. I'm not the biggest Dion fan.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
bkblades

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering when a thread like this would pop up. I would have done it myself, but I'm glad someone with more drive and time is doing it.

There aren't many on the Toronto Maple Leafs (judging by the standings that's not surprising), but here's a few that fit the criteria:

Anton Stralman, Defenceman
Alex Steen, Centre/Winger
Carlo Colaiacovo, defenceman
Jiri Tlusty, Centre/Winger

As for the rest of the league, here are a few that I think are under the radar stars in the making (and some of my favourites):

Tobias Enstrom
Kari Lehtonen
Alexander Radulov
Keith Ballard
Peter Mueller
Stephen Weiss (a young Brind'Amour, but needs to pick up his offence)
Andrew Cogliano

As for the established, I like to see several of these guys on the list:

Brent Seabrook & Duncan Keith
Nathan Horton
Patrice Bergeron (obviously, he's well known, but before his injury he was one the best young offensive players in the league)
Jonathan Toews
Shea Weber
Brent Burns
Zach Parise
Patrick Sharp (he should have at least been nominated for the Selke, if not win it)

I'm sure you have plenty more in mind, so I'll stop there. Look forward to seeing the list!

The Greatest Photographs of the NFL
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzlaf should top ten on everyone's list, probably even top five.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenMVP wrote:
Getzlaf should top ten on everyone's list, probably even top five.

He's definently not Top 5. He surely is Top 10 or 15 though, and I love Ryan. One of my favorite young players.
Cardinalsfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Kane, Nicklas Bäckström, Cam Ward, Marc-André Fleury, Jordan Staal, Eric Staal.

Props to #Uno# on the sig

Cincinnati Cyclones 2009-2010 ECHL Champions

Supersuavesky wrote:
I agree with the Tebow comments. He's never been a great college player
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinalsfan wrote:
Patrick Kane, Nicklas Bäckström, Cam Ward, Marc-André Fleury, Jordan Staal, Eric Staal.

Cam Ward? Really?
gseabrook26

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying you need any help, but BirdsFan I'll give you some input if you want to PM me part of your top 50 list.
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruins Top 3 imo:
Phil Kessel(21)~He showed his best in the playoffs after being benched
Milan Lucic(20)~A big hitter has improved shooting 20 and is like Cam Neely
Patrice Bergeron~(24)Best young player missed a yr but bounced back and id our best you shooter.

That should be there age by the end of the next yr.
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Bruins Top 3 imo:
Phil Kessel(21)~He showed his best in the playoffs after being benched
Milan Lucic(20)~A big hitter has improved shooting 20 and is like Cam Neely
Patrice Bergeron~(24)Best young player missed a yr but bounced back and id our best you shooter.

That should be there age by the end of the next yr.

I've always liked Kessel. I question how far he can really go though. Bergeron is a real nice young player.
Eagles27

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Birdsfan.

It's 2 AM right now so I'll post some detailed thoughts later.

#JDI
Eagles27

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW from the Canucks I expect the Sedins to be locks and Alex Edler to maybe crack the top 50.

#JDI
Eagles27

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW from the Canucks I expect the Sedins to be locks and Alex Edler to maybe crack the top 50.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: