Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Job Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfan66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: The Job Thread Reply with quote

Sorry for posting this guys, didn't see an older one recently.

So I left my job in Finance in March. My issues were the pay (grossly underpaid that when I told them I was leaving they tried to bump me up ~25k). I also didn't feel like I was getting the opportunities I wanted. I had been in the same position for 2 years with the promise of getting more on my plate but that never came to fruition.

I took a job in the finance department of a hospital system. Right now, I am still in the midst of the large learning curve. However, I don't believe that I want to do this for the rest of my career. My personality is just very different from others in this industry and the career path is very rigid. I would like to be able to move up as I deserve it rather than time of service.

I was thinking about looking for a new job already but I am worried about searching for a new job so fast. Do you think it is bad to leave a job in under a year? 6 months?

If a job interviewer would question me about it, I would explain how I was being held back at my last career in finance and took a job away from the industry that provided a good opportunity. However, being away from Finance made me realize my real desire to work in those type of investment products.

My Series 7, 63 and 57 licenses are still active for the next 1.5 years. I also have been taking an online course covering finance material to keep me fresh on what is going on.

R.I.P. Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
"We are worried. Kris Jenkins eats O-Lineman better then Kobayashi eats hot dogs." -Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, and Logan Mankins
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Job Thread Reply with quote

Jetfan66 wrote:
If a job interviewer would question me about it, I would explain how I was being held back at my last career in finance and took a job away from the industry that provided a good opportunity. However, being away from Finance made me realize my real desire to work in those type of investment products.

It does come across as a little entitled. Maybe because it's in context with everything else you posted.

Boomers and some GenXers firmly believe in the years of service thing. If you want to get away from that, you have two options that i see: open your business, or find a job with a company with more progressive leadership. I haven't seen many of those companies personally.

I don't know how long you've been at your current employer, but i think if i were you i'd give it a year before trying to move on. It takes more than a few months in most circumstances to know if that's truly a place you enjoy working at.

Lastly, you mentioned not getting opportunities. I've had this discussion quite a few times with a few of my coworkers. Your personality will naturally attract or repulse opportunities as much as your ability and talent. A friend of mine has struggled his whole career to move up the ladder and get more customer face time. It's because he isn't naturally charasmatic. He doesn't relate well to the managers, so when opportunities come up he A) isn't the first person they think of for the job and B) doesn't jump on it like he should. A lot of the time it's a subtle difference in how he words things.

Example:
Confident: I'll call Bob and take care of it
Not Confident: I'll call Bob if you want me to. I think i can do it.

If i'm a manager and hear the first line, i'll give you the work. If i'm a manager and i hear the second line, i'm probably going to say "I'll get Joe to do it, but thanks for volunteering".

No idea if that's part of your problem. But i work in an organization that believes firmly in promotions on a timeline. Hasn't stopped a few high achievers from skipping some rungs on the ladder or moving into leadership roles ahead of schedule. You just have to play the game.

~T.S. Eliot
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously just my two cents.

Ive always heard try to stay at least a year if you can. It can look impulsive to a lot of HR people if you leave right away. I don't agree with that (life is too short), but saying what I've heard. However, if you were at a previous job for awhile, it prolly wouldn't be a big deal (like you said, just explain).

And if you're coming home every night crying yourself to sleep thinking of the thought of going to work, I would do my best to find something else.

Just started a new job myself about a month ago, and I already know I won't be staying at this one more than a year or two, so I can empathize a bit.

Best of luck man!

Last edited by IrishGreen on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
golfer1738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just said yourself that you've just started this job and yet you're essentially saying that you've already determined what it will be like long-term.

in my opinion, stick it out for a year and then decide. if you hate it, then move on. but you never know what opportunities may come out of it if you stick through it. worst case, you still hate it and you can tell future employers that you tried to make it work but just weren't enjoying it. best case, you end up liking it and staying a while.

don't make long-term decisions based on your feelings after just starting a job. things change quickly in the corporate world, managers come and go, projects come and go. give it some time.
Jetfan66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I am already 3 months in. I plan on sticking it out for at least 6 months before I actually start applying. Then based on the timeframe from applying, it is looking more towards a year before I actually leave. (Going through rounds on interviews can drag on).

There is a high turnover on this team. 3 people already left since I started and another is actively interviewing (we were a team of 8 when I started).

Then I will just use the time I am here to gather a lot of additional skills (heavy use of excel, access and reconciliation) while also continuing to focus on corporate finance in my spare time.

"We are worried. Kris Jenkins eats O-Lineman better then Kobayashi eats hot dogs." -Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, and Logan Mankins
Jetfan66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I know it is generally not good to leave jobs frequently but I was at my last finance job for 3.5 years. So it does show that I can stay at a place for a while. And I think that being able to say I tried a different industry and it didn't work out can help erase doubts about the 0.5-1 year at the new job.

theJ wrote:
It does come across as a little entitled. Maybe because it's in context with everything else you posted.

I understand what you are saying. I can try to further elaborate. Essentially, I was hired as a trading assistant to the 2 senior equity traders. The goal of management was to expand our equity salesforce which would give the traders more work that they could defer to me. Unfortunately, the company has really struggled trying to expand the salesforce. Business revenues were slow so salespeople weren't staying on the team long enough. Since trading didn't pick up, there wasn't enough work to go along for the 2 traders and the trading assistant.

Being held back could be a bad description of the situation. But it definitely wasn't beneficial to my future since there was a lot of time with no real work to do for my position. It made it difficult to really gain experience. And our work is directly based on the salesforce generating sales with their customers.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't being held back, you wanted more, and the advancement opportunities weren't there.

If you word things right, it won't look bad leaving a job soon. If they ask why you're looking to leave so soon, tell them you know it is, but an opportunity to work there was too good to not try for. Use missing finance too. Making them feel like you want out of your current position is bad, so make it feel like you want in with them more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
You weren't being held back, you wanted more, and the advancement opportunities weren't there.

If you word things right, it won't look bad leaving a job soon. If they ask why you're looking to leave so soon, tell them you know it is, but an opportunity to work there was too good to not try for. Use missing finance too. Making them feel like you want out of your current position is bad, so make it feel like you want in with them more.

Agree with this for sure.
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:

This is a good way to spin things.

Another option: are there any positions in the company you're with now that would get you more towards your goals? a sideways move isn't necessarily looked at the same as leaving a job all together.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Twizlers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiter here. People leave jobs within a year ALL the time. The fact you were with your previous job for 3.5 years shows some tenure which is good. I think if you wait another 3 months like you already stated, I'd update that resume and start looking.

Where recruiters and HR folks really start to get concerned is if you have a string of short stints at non-contract positions, no matter what the excuse is. So I advise that you make sure that the next job you find, you'll be there at least another 2 or 3 years so a pattern doesn't start developing on your resume. The best time to start looking for a job is when you have a job so take your time and really think about the next move you're going to make.

BTW- Kudos for not taking that $25k counter offer. The worst decision an employee that's looking to leave can do is take a counter offer. There's a million reasons why but I just had to point that out that you did the right thing even though your current job isn't quite your longterm fit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me you show great ambition. Of course I wouldn't leave 1 job if I didn't have another waiting for me. I wish you all the best here but I think you'll be just fine.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Bianconero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I read something right

You were given a 25k raise at your old job and still left?

Also, I wouldn't think too much about leaving your current job at 6 months

Jumping around is very important and if you found something better, no matter the timing, you pursue it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:

Jumping around is very important and if you found something better, no matter the timing, you pursue it

You read that right. But my new job was a 10k raise so net I only turned down 15k.

Money should never be the deciding factor in a job. Yes, it is important to be paid a comparative rate. Hence, one of the reasons I left. My job knew they were underpaying me that much. My immediate boss talked with management multiple times about a raise for me. It was only once management's backs were against the wall did they change their stance.

And don't get me wrong, the pay raise was extremely tempting. I just didn't see a way to really progress my career there for a few years. It was important to me to find some place where I could grow. Unfortunately, the new place I went to is isn't as attractive as well.

Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetfan66 wrote:
Bianconero wrote:

You read that right. But my new job was a 10k raise so net I only turned down 15k.

Money should never be the deciding factor in a job. Yes, it is important to be paid a comparative rate. Hence, one of the reasons I left. My job knew they were underpaying me that much. My immediate boss talked with management multiple times about a raise for me. It was only once management's backs were against the wall did they change their stance.

And don't get me wrong, the pay raise was extremely tempting. I just didn't see a way to really progress my career there for a few years. It was important to me to find some place where I could grow. Unfortunately, the new place I went to is isn't as attractive as well.

I'd probably have taken the extra 25k and then leave 6 months later and consider it "backed underpayment" Laughing

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Jetfan66 wrote:
Bianconero wrote:

I'd probably have taken the extra 25k and then leave 6 months later and consider it "backed underpayment" Laughing

That's not a great look. If he is a great worker and his immediate superior still liked him, it's possible he'd still be able to use him as a reference, but if you accept a raise like that only to leave soon after, you run the risk of burning a bridge, which is best to avoid if you can.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: