Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Scotch thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: The Scotch thread Reply with quote

I've been drinking scotch over the past 4-5 years, and am always trying to expand my palate and appreciation. I thought I'd start a thread to get some discussion going about recommendations, preferences, and favorites. I've always preferred single malts, and have yet to really get into blended whisky. I'm more of a Speyside or Highland guy. I prefer the sweeter, fruitier drams. Not a big fan of the smoke and peat, but I haven't had a lot of them. My first peaty scotch was Laphroaig 10, and I think it was too extreme for my young palate at the time and it turned me off. My budget is usually in the $50 range for a bottle, but I'd be willing to splurge up to about $70-$75 if one comes highly recommended. So post up your experiences!

What's currently in stock at home:
Macallan 12yr
Glenlivet 12yr
Balvenie Doublewood 12
Tomatin 12 (not a fan, harsh and a bit too simple)
Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 (a bit complex, but still figuring it out)
Glen Moray 12

Will buy in the near future:
Glen Dronach Revival 15yr
Glenfiddich 12
Oban 14yr (always hear good things)
Cragganmore 12

Favorites/Recommendations:
Glen Dronach 12 - Great every day scotch, my favorite. Smooth, easy, flavorful, aged in sherry casks.
Macallan 12 - Another one finished in sherry, easy to drink, and really opens with a half tablespoon of water.

FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a wee bit out of your price range. For $750 you can get a swallow. It is said to be Admiral Anderson MacCutcheon's crowning achievement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite:

TVScout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next best:

shotgundraw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread Smile

I've been into whisky for a little more over 5 years now I think.

Right now I have at home :
- Laphroaig 15yo, a dying breed as this bottling has been discontinued for 3 years now I believe. Prices are really starting to rise so it might be the last bottle of this one I'll ever have Confused
- Bunnahabhain 35yo 1976 from The whisky Mercenary, a very disappointing dram. Old Bunnas can be great, this one isn't. I'd guess it's an ex-bourbon cask. A little fruity, but much on grass, herbal side. It reminds me of a Littlmill or other Lowlands. Not my type really and not what I expected.
- Glendronach 19yo 1992, cask 1123. A very good Oloroso, quite dry as you'd expect. Toffe, bitter chocolate, some wood but not too much. If you let it breathe, nice kinda foresty side. Most Glendros are top whisky, this one doesn't fail.
- Glendronach 20yo 1991, cask 3183. This one is from a PX cask, so it's sweeter, way more fruits and sugars. It's obviously different from the 1123 but just as good. Spices all over the places, dark fruits. Great stuff.

Also got a Ben Nevis by W&M, a great Ardmore by Malts of Scotland (peat, agrumes the Ardmore style, beautiful) and an 33yo Inchgower from MoS as well (sherry, nuts, spices, wood).
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be my heritage but Johnnie Walker is the first thing I think of when it comes to scotch.

Blue label.

Yes please.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me anything about Tamdhu 10 year? My wife bought me it for a wedding present, haven't busted into it yet, but curious to hear about it.

derekstanggt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
My favorite:

I keep hearing good things about Dalwhinnie. What do you like about it?

Last edited by derekstanggt on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
Can anyone tell me anything about Tamdhu 10 year? My wife bought me it for a wedding present, haven't busted into it yet, but curious to hear about it.

I've never had it, but from a little research it looks to be a pretty sweet Speyside with notes of toffee, honey, caramel and orange. Sounds like a great present to me!
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shotgundraw wrote:
Nice thread Smile

I've been into whisky for a little more over 5 years now I think.

Right now I have at home :
- Laphroaig 15yo, a dying breed as this bottling has been discontinued for 3 years now I believe. Prices are really starting to rise so it might be the last bottle of this one I'll ever have Confused
- Bunnahabhain 35yo 1976 from The whisky Mercenary, a very disappointing dram. Old Bunnas can be great, this one isn't. I'd guess it's an ex-bourbon cask. A little fruity, but much on grass, herbal side. It reminds me of a Littlmill or other Lowlands. Not my type really and not what I expected.
- Glendronach 19yo 1992, cask 1123. A very good Oloroso, quite dry as you'd expect. Toffe, bitter chocolate, some wood but not too much. If you let it breathe, nice kinda foresty side. Most Glendros are top whisky, this one doesn't fail.
- Glendronach 20yo 1991, cask 3183. This one is from a PX cask, so it's sweeter, way more fruits and sugars. It's obviously different from the 1123 but just as good. Spices all over the places, dark fruits. Great stuff.

Also got a Ben Nevis by W&M, a great Ardmore by Malts of Scotland (peat, agrumes the Ardmore style, beautiful) and an 33yo Inchgower from MoS as well (sherry, nuts, spices, wood).
A Glendro fan, alright. We might have similar taste. If you could recommend one, say under $80/bottle, what would it be?
fretgod99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go for Irish Whiskey instead of Scotch. *shrug*

Black Bush by Bush Mills is my go to. Bush Mills 10 Year is pretty smooth, too. Recently got a couple others that are pretty solid, but can't remember what they are. I'll look when I get home.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotch is what people drink before they learn to drink Cognac.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
I usually go for Irish Whiskey instead of Scotch. *shrug*

Black Bush by Bush Mills is my go to. Bush Mills 10 Year is pretty smooth, too. Recently got a couple others that are pretty solid, but can't remember what they are. I'll look when I get home.

Irish Whiskies really have a different feel to them. I have an old bottle of Jameson in the back of my cabinet that I haven't had probably in 6 years or so, and just had a drink of it last week. Wow, I completely forgot how smooth a triple distilled whisky was. It made me want to try the Auchentoshan Springwood 12yr that I hear about a lot. It's also triple distilled, and less popular because of it for some reason.
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Scotch is what people drink before they learn to drink Cognac.
Touche' Very Happy

I actually have a bottle of Courvoisier VSOP in my cabinet also. It feels different on my palate, almost lighter. When I want to change it up, I have a glass of that. But I'm still exploring Scotches and can handle only one style at a time. Smile
MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macallan has always been my favorite.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 9 tackles
Jordan Reed - 1 catch, 4 rec yards, 1 bum hamstring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: