Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Non-Popular Mock Draft - Edited
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: The Non-Popular Mock Draft - Edited Reply with quote

This is my mock draft that won't be popular for those on the forum but could be best for the team in the long run.

Restructures:
Jahri Evans-Currently has a base salary of $6,8000,000 so the Saints can restructure 3 million of the base salary and save them 2 million this year, only adding 1 million onto the next two seasons.
Cap Savings-$2,000,000

Ben Grubbs-Currently has a base salary of $6,000,000 so the Saints can restructure 3 million of the base salary and save them 2 million this year, only adding 1 million onto the next two seasons.
Cap Savings-$2,000,000

Brodrick Bunkley-Currently has a base salary of 4,400,000 and a surprisingly small guaranteed amount, so the Saints restructure 3 million of the base salary and save 2 million this year, only adding 1 million the next two seasons. The Saints can still cut Bunkley next season and come out with approximately 900k in cap space.
Cap Savings-$2,000,000

Marques Colston-Currently has a base salary of 5,500,000 and another rather small guarantee amount compared to base salary for the following two years, so the Saints restructure 3 million of his base salary saving 2 milling this year and even if the Saints need to move on from Colston before the start of next season would clear 2 million in cap space.
Cap Savings-$2,000,000

Total savings of $8,000,000 from restructures and not really much of a strain on our future.

Cuts:
Will Smith-This is a cut we all know is coming.
Cap Savings-$11,550,000

Darren Sproles-Sproles has been pretty important to our team but he has been injured often and hasn't really been making a huge impact even when he was healthy this year.
Cap Savings-$3,500,000

Jabari Greer-Much like Sproles, he just doesn't have a spot with the team going forward.
Cap Savings-$3,175,000

Pierre Thomas-He had been one of our most consistent running backs but injuries are catching up to him, he's hitting the wrong side of 30, not to mention Robinson and Ingram both looked good with bigger roles in the running game in crucial times.
Cap Savings-$2,900,000

Lance Moore-Lance Moore has been a great receiver for us but he's been hurt and Stills has effectively taken over his role. We also have some younger guys ready to come in with a bigger role in the offense.
Cap Savings-$2,531,250

Roman Harper-With Vaccaro and Bush playing so well with Harper out due to injury, Harper becomes expendable although a great locker room guy. Even some of his comments to the press shows he knows his time in the Big Easy is coming to an end.
Cap Savings-$2,180,000

Total Savings of $25,836,250 for the cuts made. The total combined savings from cuts and savings is $33,839,250. With us having been about 12 million over the cap, we will have almost 21 million in cap space to sign free agents, resign our own players, and draft picks.

Resigning:
Parys Haralson-Wasn't bad before getting injured. Can come back minimal priced.
Contract: 2 yr 3 million - 1.5 million first year

Brian De la Puente-Hard to find good centers in the NFL and he was adequate enough unless the Saints want to shell out good money for someone like Alex Mack.
Contract: 1 yr 2 million - 2 million first year

Zach Strief-Need the depth at OT, can be a one year stop gap if a rookie can't start right away.
Contract: 2 yr 4.5 million

Jimmy Graham-I had planned on tagging and trading Graham in this mock, but I just couldn't find myself doing it. We tag him and then look to keep him long them.
Contract: 7 yr 56 million, 21 signing bonus, 2014 Cap Hit of 4 mil/i]

Free Agency
FS Ryan Clark-From the area, on the end of his career, we pick him up for league minimum as a locker room guy for our young safeties, not to mention he has life left in him still.

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-The Saints are looking to upgrade their secondary and DRC is a good start. DRC would be a great lockdown corner across from Lewis. He is looking for one last long term contract. Saints reach out and give it to him.
[i]Contract: 6 yr 36 million, 24 million guaranteed - 2014 Cap: 4.5 mil

WR Jeremy Maclin-The Saints have a habit of taking a chance on players that are coming off of injury and have been coming out ahead on them. For example Drew Brees, Jeremy Shockey, Jonathan Vilma, and Darren Sharper for example. Maclin can definitely make a good amount of impact on our offense for a rather decent contract.
[i]Contract: 4 yr, 25 million, 10 million signing bonus - 2014 Cap: 3 mil[/b]

Draft
#27-Kelvin Benjamin, WR Florida State
-Even with the addition of Maclin, Kenny Stills looking promising last year, resigning Graham, the Saints are in need of more WR help. Kelvin Benjamin will continue to add to the Saints stock of lining up big WRs that create mismatches and help our offense.

#59-Weston Richburg, C Colorado State
-The Saints resigned DLP to a short term deal but know they need to look towards a real long term answer at that position and grab the fast rising Richburg. He had an impressive showing at the Senior Bowl being able to handle both power and finesse defenders in drills.

#91-Ed Reynolds, S Stanford
-Grabbing DRC was huge to helping the Saints secondary but they need depth for the future. Reynolds has some great bloodlines, something the Saints love, as well as some pretty good production. Hey could form a great long-term duo with Vaccaro and would be a great part of the 3 safety rotation in Rob Ryan's scheme.

#123-Jeff Janis, WR Saginaw Valley
-The Saints continue to both hedge their bets as well as look to grab promising small school prospects with some buzz. The 6'2 212lb WR that ran a reported 4.36 at the SVSU Pro Day last year. Also very productive, granted vs less than stellar competition, he was teammates with the Dallas Cowboys rookie safety who said he expects Janis to come into the NFL and start blowing it up almost immediately.

#155-James Morris, OLB/ILB Iowa
-The Saints need some extra depth at linebacker and Morris can play either inside or outside. Also has the potential to develop into a a longterm blue collar starter.

#187-Zach Hoker, K Arkansas
-Overall a fairly accurate kicker with the ability to get 50+yard FGs. Went 13/15 this year missing a 40+ and a 50+ vs Ole Miss though he hit both in the same game as well. Could be a long term answer to replace Hartley.

UDFA:
RB Isaiah Crowell, Alabama State
-After law trouble got him kicked of the Georgia team he heads to Alabama State and puts together a good season. Character issues could have him becoming an UDFA and able to fill our return/Sproles role.

OG Andrew Norwell, Ohio State
-Headed to Ohio State as a highly recruited prospect and found himself as a staple on Ohio State's offensive line. Not as flashing or dominant as other prospects but I could see him having a career like Alex Boone for the 49ers who develops into a very solid OG with strong run blocking ability.

OT Danny Kistler Jr Montana
-Small school prospect that would've been a major D1 prospect had he not gotten hurt his senior year of HS. Took the long road and worked hard to get where he is today. Great work ehtic.

Depth Chart
Offense:
QB-Drew Brees/Ryan Griffen
RB-Mark Ingram/Khiry Robinson/Isaiah Crowell
FB-Jed Collins
TE-Jimmy Graham/Ben Watson/Josh Hill
WR-Marques Colston/Kelvin Benamin/Jeff Janis
WR-Jeremy Maclin/Kenny Stills/Nick Toon
LT-Terron Armstead/Danny Kistler Jr
LG-Ben Grubbs/Andrew Norwell
C-Brian de la Puente/Weston Richburg
RG-Jahri Evans/Tom Lelito
RT-Zach Strief/Bryce Harris

Defense:
LDE-Akiem Hicks/Glenn Foster
NT-Brodrick Bunkley/John Jenkins
RDE-Cameron Jordan/Tom Johnson/Tyrunn Walker
LOLB-Junior Galette/Kyle Knox
LILB-David Hawthorn/James Morris
RILB-Curtis Lofton/Ramon Humber
ROLB-Parys Haralson/Rufus Johnson
CB-Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie/Corey White/Rod Sweeting
FS-Rafael Bush/Ed Reynolds
SS-Kenny Vaccaro/Ryan Clark
CB-Keenan Lewis/Patrick Robinson

Special Teams:
K-Zach Hoker
P-Thomas Morstead
LS-Justin Drescher
KR/PR-Isaiah Crowell

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs

Last edited by Raves on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the cuts and restructures, I don't like taking a RT in the first. I'd rather go with a WR, even with the signing of Maclin.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Raves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
I don't mind the cuts and restructures, I don't like taking a RT in the first. I'd rather go with a WR, even with the signing of Maclin.

I could go something like the FSU WR in the 1st but that would mean moving OT to the 3rd and probably skipping on a safety.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

I could go something like the FSU WR in the 1st but that would mean moving OT to the 3rd and probably skipping on a safety.

I honestly think we've got something in Bryce Harris. I wouldn't mind moving up to get Pryor, honestly. Him and Vaccaro would be one of the best safety duos in the league.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see problem with it, it's a safe bet. James Morris is a beast btw.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it until the draft lol. I'm with Harper on not wanting to draft a RT in the first

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
I liked it until the draft lol. I'm with Harper on not wanting to draft a RT in the first

Also... Erving is going back to FSU, unless he flopped again???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Also... Erving is going back to FSU, unless he flopped again???

Yeah I thought he was going back

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the cuts, restructures, and signings (though I think getting Strief for that cheap is a pipe dream) but I absolutely hate the draft. I agree with Harp that we have something with Bryce Harris and I'd rather him just remain backup if we resign Strief, and if we let Strief walk let him start. No need to take a RT in the first IMO.

Raves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some mistakes that I didn't realize, such as Erving heading back, modified the mock draft, cost of Strief, Jimmy Graham, and then changed mock

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention Whitner in the mock twice, but I don't actually see him listed as an acquisition.

Like I've said in other mocks, I don't like the idea of losing both Thomas and Sproles. We rely too heavily on the screen game for that. Ingram drops about 1/2 the screen passes we try with him and I haven't seen enough of Robinson to put all that responsibility on him.

Other than that, it's not a bad mock.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
You mention Whitner in the mock twice, but I don't actually see him listed as an acquisition.

Like I've said in other mocks, I don't like the idea of losing both Thomas and Sproles. We rely too heavily on the screen game for that. Ingram drops about 1/2 the screen passes we try with him and I haven't seen enough of Robinson to put all that responsibility on him.

Other than that, it's not a bad mock.

you're right I missed that and fixed it. I had him in it originally then I changed it, thought I removed the mentioning of him.

I have us getting Isaiah Crowell as an UDFA who is pretty good in the screen game, but truthfully I feel we sould get away from using so much.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
I have us getting Isaiah Crowell as an UDFA who is pretty good in the screen game, but truthfully I feel we sould get away from using so much.

I totally agree we should move away from relying on the screen so much, but until we know that this offense (and specifically Brees) can be effective without it, we can't just move on without either of our 2 best screen catchers.

Crowell could be the answer, but I don't want to leave such a huge part of our offense to a rookie, a 2nd year guy with so little game time, and a powerback turned potential workhorse with a case of the dropsies.

But other than RB, I'm pretty comfortable with your depth chart. It looks good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Raves wrote:

I totally agree we should move away from relying on the screen so much, but until we know that this offense (and specifically Brees) can be effective without it, we can't just move on without either of our 2 best screen catchers.

Crowell could be the answer, but I don't want to leave such a huge part of our offense to a rookie, a 2nd year guy with so little game time, and a powerback turned potential workhorse with a case of the dropsies.

But other than RB, I'm pretty comfortable with your depth chart. It looks good.

Well we've been in this position before and it's worked out... Deuce goes down and we rely on Bush and Pierre. This year Pierre and Sproles go down and we rely on Ingram and Robinson...

Thanks though. I think that is a good combination of youth and experience. I still had about another 5 million in cleared up cap space that I haven't used as well and that's without even touching Brees' contract.

Now granted I didn't add in the vet min players that might be needed so I might not have that 5 million, but if I do that would be maybe an additional FA or keeping Thomas or Sproles. Honestly though I personally feel it's time to make a clean cut from both if we plan on letting out younger guys develop at all.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
kelsobob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a really good write up. I like reading things like this when people spend so much time on it.
De la Puenta will score a nice deal in FA and I dont see him signing for that cheap.
As much as I want Clark, I dont see him leaving Pitt and I dont see Loomis bringing in an aging vet in the secondary right now.
DRC and his retirement comments bother me. Give him a big contract and he may sail into the sunset.

Love Maclin with Benjamin in the draft. Gives the saints some leeway to take their time with Benjamin.

Everything else I find very solid!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: