Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A few observations from the practice at Wash U saturday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aheineken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: A few observations from the practice at Wash U saturday Reply with quote

First off, I don't know if the offense was really bad or the defense was really good. I saw 5 interceptions and 2 or 3 more that should've been picked off. Tony Hargrove is one of the most athletic guys on the team. He was beating Saipaia (who was playing LT with the first team due to Williams being hurt and Pace just wasnt dressed) quite a bit. He also made 2 inteceptions. One was one of the best plays i've seen a DE make. He was rushing Bulger(trying to throw out of the endzone), who tried to throw it over his head, Tony tipped it and pulled it down for a defensive TD. Another time, he broke off his pass rush to cover SJ, Fitz threw a descent pass, but Hargrove again tipped it just before it sailed over his head and pulled it in for another pick.

Groce also had a pretty good looking pick off of Fitzpatrick. On the bright side for the offense, SJ looked great. Even though there was no tackling, he was getting good yardage before anyone could get to him to make a play. He looks very agile and made some great cuts. Holt practiced routes, but was in shorts w/ no helmet. He looked good though; his back didn't seem to be bothering him much. They brought him out of the backfield quite a bit on passing routes, and I didn't see him drop a single pass.

Jerome Collins (TE) looked pretty good catching the ball. I didn't pay attention to him blocking, but he may be a good project.

Claiborne looks kind of unsure in coverage. It doesn't really bother me much as long as he can get in there and knock the [inappropriate/removed] out of runningbacks, which is something Thomas didn't do much of last year.

I'm starting to buy the AA as a FS thing. He looked good in coverage. He did get schooled badly by Ike once, but that's Ike, so you really can't hold that against him.

Mike Furrey really impressed me as well. I think he's gonna make the team as a safety.

P Reggie Hodges can boom the crap out of the ball, but he badly needs to work on directional kicking. He couldn't seem to drop it inside the 20 as easily as he should.

Fisher and Butler still weren't dressed. It gave the other CBs a chance to show what they can do. Bartell did nothing to stand out, but he didn't do anything bad. Like I said before Groce had a good pick, and was solid all night. Corey Ivy had a pick too, where he did a good job reading the route and cutting infront of the receiver (#18 I think) to make the pick. I didn't really see much from Dwight Anderson or any of the other CBs. Jerome Carter looked like he knew what he was doing, although he didn't make any huge plays.

There were over 4500 people there, and if you've ever been to Wash U's stadium, you know it's smaller than most high school stadiums. There were people packed everywhere, with little to no standing room left. I had a great time, and I think i'm gonna go to more training camp next year, because i won't have a chance to make it back up there this year. If any of you get a chance to go to one of the morning practices this week, I would urge you to go.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles
Akron Zips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: