Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions Draft Grade Roundup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davisblack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Lions Draft Grade Roundup Reply with quote

Draft grades are kind of silly, but here are Lions grades from around the internet.

CBS - D
Quote:

First-round pick Jarrad Davis is a nice three-down linebacker who will fill a major need, so that pick is solid. But this is a team that had major pass-rush issues last season, and they waited until the sixth round to take a defensive lineman. That's not wise in a division with Aaron Rodgers. Second-round corner Teez Tabor was a reach at that spot. I just didn't think it was a good haul for the Lions.

Sports Illustrated - B

Quote:

GM Bob Quinn continues to put in understated work molding this roster. Linebackers Jarrad Davis (No. 21 pick) and Jalen Reeves-Maybin (No. 124) could be the long-term future together for the Lions, although both come with injury concerns. Detroit also passed on Reuben Foster to take Davis. Cornerback Teez Tabor (No. 53) tested like he’d never run in his life, but he’s much better when it counts—with him and nickel CB Jamal Agnew (No. 165) in the fold, the Lions could ship out a veteran cornerback or two. Big wide receiver Kenny Golladay (No. 96) could be special in time, but Josh Reynolds might have been the better call. TE Michael Roberts (No. 127) will score, if Matthew Stafford just puts the ball near him. This also was the landing spot for Miami QB Brad Kaaya (No. 215), who will compete with Jake Rudock for the backup job.

SB Nation - C

Quote:
In the first round, the Lions got a certain starter in linebacker Jarrad Davis. He’s a three-down linebacker who can come up and stuff the run and do a little bit of everything else well.

Throw away the testing numbers on second-round pick Teez Tabor. He’s a good player who should also start for the Lions. Third-round pick Kenny Golladay was a surprise selection, but he has good size and speed. The Lions got him via a trade back where they acquired an extra fourth-round pick that turned into linebacker Jaylon Reeves-Maybin. He’s a good weak-side linebacker when healthy. Tight end Michael Roberts doesn’t have a lot of flash in his game, but he should be an excellent No. 2 tight end behind Eric Ebron.

The issue here is no pass rusher, whether it’s coming from inside or the edge, until the sixth round.

NFL.com - B

Quote:
The Lions were desperate for an upgrade at linebacker, and they got a very good one in Davis. His athleticism and toughness are evident. If he can stay healthy and be an instinctive leader in the middle, Detroit is set at the position for a while. Teez Tabor is a first-round player with a third-round 40-yard dash, so picking him up in the second round made a lot of sense. Kenny Golladay is an interesting receiver, but was probably selected a round early, maybe two.

Adding Reeves-Maybin brings quickness to the second level of the defense, though we'll see if he can stay healthy enough to earn a fourth-round selection. Detroit gets a red-zone target in tight end Michael Roberts. Jeremiah Ledbetter will give the Lions some pass rush. Good flier on Brad Kaaya in the seventh -- it's a "Why not?" pick.

USA Today - C+

Quote:
The player with the most name recognition might be Miami (Fla.) QB Brad Kaaya, who may be a career backup -- which is fine for a sixth rounder. Teammates at Florida, first-round LB Jarrad Davis and second-round CB Teez Tabor – assuming his athletic limitations don't sink him – should be in the mix to start right away. Third-round WR Kenny Golladay won't make anyone forget Calvin Johnson, but he should be a nice red-zone option at 6-4, 218 pounds.

Fox Sports - C

Quote:
Jarrad Davis was a reach, but one of need and one that you won't be burned on — he's a high-character player who will contribute. Teez Tabor was a great value in the second round — boom-or-bust with a huge possible boom. I like the Jalen Reeves-Maybin pick in round four, but Kenny Golladay, the Northern Illinois wide receiver in the third round is absurd and pulls down this whole draft.

Mel Kiper - C+

Quote:
Detroit got some good players, but I'd contend they didn't address their biggest needs in this draft. Ezekiel Ansah is the Lions' only pass-rusher, and they didn't get him any help. I think it's fair to assume Bob Quinn -- who has done an excellent job thus far -- didn't see Charles Harris or Takk McKinley as great options in the system, so Detroit ended up with Jarrad Davis. That's not too bad, as he should jump into a starting role immediately and is a great kid.

And maybe the Lions like Ameer Abdullah more than most and think he'll return better than ever, but I think given the health problems faced by him and Theo Riddick, they could have used another back. I like the addition of a cornerback, but Teez Tabor is a reach for me at No. 53 (No. 100 on my board). He needs to play faster than he ran after poor showings at the combine and his pro day. The Lions are betting on the tape over the workout.

The Lions did add some help at wide receiver, but there were several better receivers available when Detroit took Kenny Golladay on Day 2. Jalen Reeves-Maybin, a fourth-round pick they added when the Patriots traded up, could see time at outside linebacker. Michael Roberts is more of a pass-catcher than blocker but provides insurance ( Eric Ebron is in the final year of his deal). Getting Brad Kaaya, my seventh-ranked quarterback, at the end of the sixth round is good value. He could be Matthew Stafford's long-term backup. Detroit could end up hitting on Davis and Tabor, But there just isn't enough here to warrant a higher grade given the lack of a pass-rush addition outside a late bet on Jeremiah Ledbetter.

Washington Post - B-

Quote:
There was nothing wrong with Detroit taking LB Jarrad Davis 21st overall … unless Reuben Foster becomes an NFL standout. The Lions let Foster’s slide through the opening round continue. Detroit’s use of a sixth-round choice on QB Brad Kaaya is interesting. Matthew Stafford is entering the final season of his contract. He’s probably not going anywhere. But the Lions added an intriguing QB prospect who dropped much further than many draft analysts had expected.

Personally I would give this draft a B-. I think it's fine, but there was a player at every pick that I would have liked more than the guy they selected, but I'm not paid to make those decisions. My biggest problems were waiting to late to pick up DL and not drafting another RB. For now I'm going to put my faith in Quinn and the rest of the staff and hope this draft turns out well.

What kind of grade would you guys give the Lions?
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any major issues with any of the picks but I'd still struggle to give them a grade any higher than a B- for one major reason that I just don't understand...

For a team that's had some serious injury issues the past few years a common theme among our draft picks is durability concerns, that's the only thing that really worries me.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted Jake Butt instead of Roberts. That was my only semi-big complaint, and I didn't know a ton about Roberts anyway. Outside of that, I'm incredibly pleased with how it all went down.

The climb out of "why doesn't this team re-locate already so I can have a good excuse to choose another one" is slow, but it seems to be working. Quinn hasn't made a terrible move yet, and he's made quite a few nice ones, so I'm giving him the benefit until proven otherwise.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the media want pass rushers because they are "sexier" picks. But the truth is, we needed coverage guys more. Last season it didn't matter how fast we got to the QB, he was getting it out quickly because no one could cover. We addressed that in a big way this offseason at both LB and CB. We also have young guys that need to develop and even though a couple old guys might be leaving after this season, they are still here on the roster right now. You need that balance of veteran/young guy.... develop the first and second year guys we have at DL (Robinson, Zettel, Ledbetter, O'Connor, Hyder).

Overall, I give this draft a solid B+. It addressed alot of our needs, added a bunch of talent.

Quinn was able to add a 4th rd pick and add another athletic LB to the mix. We might finally have a CB to pair with Slay. Besides Slay, whens the last time the Lions drafted a 1st or 2nd rd CB? We added a ST CB who can also weed out Andre Roberts in the return game. We added the big bodied WR that most people wanted for our 3 WR sets and to move Tate to slot. We added a solid, all around TE who is a red zone target and can block. We added a late rd QB that will push Rudock and was solid value late in the 6th rd. And yes, we added two pass rushers to the mix, but not right away.

Sig by El Ramster
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions draft for need, and how a player fits a role is a big part of that need. We needed a LB who could play WLB and MLB and be a leader of the defense to take over for Whitehead. Jarrad Davis was the perfect fit. We needed a pro ready corner who had experience in and the ability to play in all of the coverages we run. Teez Tabor was the perfect fit. We needed an outside WR with good hands who can be a vertical threat similar to Marvin Jones. Kenny Golladay and Josh Reynolds were perfect fits, they went with Golladay who has the better hands. We needed an athletic LB with great range and coverage to develop and bring along to be ready for 2018 to play WLB next to Davis at MLB and Williams at SLB when Whitehead and Worrilow likely leave in free agency. Jalen Reeves-Maybin was a perfect fit. We needed another inline TE with very good blocking skills in order to free up Eric Ebron and run more 2 TE sets to help the run game. Michael Roberts was the perfect fit, and his receiving skills were a bonus. We needed a kick returner and we also needed depth and competition for the slot corner role. Jamal Agnew was the perfect fit for both. We needed another defensive lineman who could play DE and DT. We needed a player who could hold enough as a run defender at DT and provide enough as rusher at DE. Jeremiah Ledbetter was the perfect fit, and has more upside that people realize. Arkansas limits their defensive lineman through scheme and how they ask them to play. We needed a smart, experienced, technically advanced QB to bring on as a good backup and potential trade piece in the future. Brad Kaaya was the perfect fit. The 7th round pick that late isn't a real draft pick, its just a way to guarantee you get a UDFA player that other teams will also want. Pat O'Connor got overlooked in the process until he worked out in front of teams. Extremely high effort guy and another high character guy.

Overall, Bob Quinn identified their needs and nailed it in matching positions to rounds where he could maximize the talent. They could've gotten more talent had they ignored needs altogether, but then we'd likely have a roster with glaring holes in it. I still think they could stand to add more competirion at RB, WR, DL, and DB so maybe we might see some veteran minimum free agent signings there. Overall, this draft was very solid, the team will improve because of it. Davis, Tabor, and Golladay should be starters. Reeves-Maybin, Roberts, Agnew, and Ledbetter will start off as backups and role players, but they all have potential to be good players and starters down the line. Kaaya is a backup and developmental project. If he ever starts it likely wont be for the Lions, it will be after they trade him. 3 starters and 4 role players with potential is a good draft.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the second straight year where Quinn gave us an unsexy draft. I wasn't too excited about it last year, but he proved me wrong. Hope he does it again

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
Rockcity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teez killed it for me..then you basically draft st players after that..

I like Davis but there were about 5 guys I would of taken before Davis

My grade would be around a D+

Quinn is a need drafter really wanted to like him but things are turning fast..hes one of them that can't get past the immediate..
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give it a C -.

I didn't like last years draft either outside of A'shawn Robinson but was pleasantly surprised with Decker.

Didn't really love anyone after Davis. I think Davis is going to be our only starter from this draft. The other players might make the team and contribute but we needed playmakers and starters to take the next jump imo and we just failed to do it in the draft at least.

Redraft:

Quote:
2nd: Zach Cunningham, LB. Vanderbilt. * Back to back selections for starting LB'ers could of set us up for years imo on defense.

4th: Ryan Glasgow, DT. Michigan. * Would of been a versatile DT for us.

4th: Marlon Mack, RB. USF. * Competition at RB with ability to play/start.

5th: Nate Gerry, S. Nebraska. * Toughness on special teams, goal-line, and sub packages.
arin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont yall remember freaking out last year about 'reaching' for Decker & Glasgow, along with a LS and QB to boot? Give ole Quinn a chance..

Davis was widely mocked to us, and doesn't have a concussion history & possible character issues.

Tabor supposedly injured his hamstring at a Lions workout before the combine.. And either way, plenty of good CBs have ran in the 4.6's. The dude didn't get beat in college with a QB rating of like 40 his last two years. Was probably going in the lower half of the 1st round, until the combine.

Golladay; maybe a slight reach at the bottom of the 3rd, but you really trust these media pundits/anyone to be able to correctly rank these 3/4th rounders?
Lions017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this is a Patriots-like draft. They are rarely among the teams that get the highest grades, but they always find guys that fit what they want.

I think that the C range of grades is fair, if you think that C is average. They didn't get anyone that really stands out as a steal or an immediate superstar.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these people questioning the Golladay pick need to understand that the Lions were not the only team interested in him and I mean interested in him in the 3rd and early 4th. He is a big time playmaker who is still learning the route tree but his route combination from the inside position is unique and very polished his outside routes are more limited but this kid is young fast big great hands and cocky. I am tired of being the team without an attitude. Tabor = cocky with an attitude, Davis =cocky with and attitude. You see the pattern here. We got mean and I like that. As far as pass rush goes. Ansah is healthy this year, Bryant is back Hyder is back we are going to be fine plus the LB's we have are athletic and can and are willing blitzers. I give it an A+ because I trust Quinn and Love my Lions.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrLionzz wrote:
All these people questioning the Golladay pick need to understand that the Lions were not the only team interested in him and I mean interested in him in the 3rd and early 4th. He is a big time playmaker who is still learning the route tree but his route combination from the inside position is unique and very polished his outside routes are more limited but this kid is young fast big great hands and cocky. I am tired of being the team without an attitude. Tabor = cocky with an attitude, Davis =cocky with and attitude. You see the pattern here. We got mean and I like that. As far as pass rush goes. Ansah is healthy this year, Bryant is back Hyder is back we are going to be fine plus the LB's we have are athletic and can and are willing blitzers. I give it an A+ because I trust Quinn and Love my Lions.

Not that I'm disagreeing with the bold, but what are you basing that statement on? I haven't heard other GMs come out and say that we drafted him right before they could write his name down.
All hail Nnivolcm.

Team Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we would have added pass rushers. But that's my only gripe. Pass rushers were not our only need so it's fine that we filled others. I'll have to trust Quinn because like FTW, I didn't last year and he proved me wrong. I'll trust they did their due diligence and had them ranked appropriately based on fit in our schemes.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about wins, not draft grades and the grades rarely correlate to wins.

We've had years where the Lions were thought to have the best draft and then stunk on the field.

This is simply stuff to fill content.

Sig by Smack

Team Stylish
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be really honest, on paper it is a C-, but I am hoping that the 3rd pick comes through. Loved the 1st pick, hated the 2nd pick, a reach IMO and just do not know a whole lot about the 3rd pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: