Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SI ranks Detroit's Oline 3rd best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: SI ranks Detroit's Oline 3rd best Reply with quote

... behind only Dallas and New England.

Quote:
3. Detroit Lions -- The Lions' uptick in pass protection was indicated with one amazing stat -- in 634 passing attempts, Matthew Stafford was sacked just 23 times. Detroit's Adjusted Sack Rate was second in the league behind only Denver's, and Stafford doesn't help his lines nearly as much as Peyton Manning does. The most pleasant surprise in 2013 was the play of rookie right guard Larry Warford, who brought it at a Pro Bowl level at the price of a third-round pick. Warford didn't allow a single sack in 1,126 snaps, and it could be argued that he should have been Rookie of the Year. The Lions also benefited from the play of undrafted rookie LaAdrian Waddle, who will see a lot more snaps than the 536 he took in 2013. The other pleasant surprise was the play of left tackle Riley Reiff, who looked like a man in control of his position in his second NFL year. Reiff still struggles with edge rushers and gives up too many pressures, but he played well through a hamstring injury in the second half of the season. Center Dominic Raiola and left guard Rob Sims are relatively reliable veterans, but make no mistake -- Warford is the star here.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/28/best-offensive-lines

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
Jrugges

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warford is beastly, he's the guy next in-line due for a pay-day imo. He was really good last year. Rieff played well too and Waddle was a great addition for us at RT. I expect a solid year again from these guys, idk about the hype at 3 but still they should be a top 10 line in the league.

Lions offense has a chance to be scary good. Tons of weapons, and good protection.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
Warford is beastly, he's the guy next in-line due for a pay-day imo. He was really good last year. Rieff played well too and Waddle was a great addition for us at RT. I expect a solid year again from these guys, idk about the hype at 3 but still they should be a top 10 line in the league.

Lions offense has a chance to be scary good. Tons of weapons, and good protection.

Like I said earlier this off season, Stafford has no more excuses. He has to produce this year if he wants to be considered a franchise QB.

Team Stylish

Lions017

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd best might be a slight stretch, but you never know. It's definitely nice to have a Top 10 line after so many years of mediocrity. Maybe third place just seems wrong because the line wasn't very good for such a long time.

Sims and Raiola will probably decline a bit, but (in theory) Reiff, Waddle, and Warford are all young enough to improve considerably from their already very good play.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
3rd best might be a slight stretch, but you never know. It's definitely nice to have a Top 10 line after so many years of mediocrity. Maybe third place just seems wrong because the line wasn't very good for such a long time.

Sims and Raiola will probably decline a bit, but (in theory) Reiff, Waddle, and Warford are all young enough to improve considerably from their already very good play.

Actually, Sims might be better. He had surgery this off season to fix something he played last season with. Hopefully his recovery goes well.

Team Stylish

SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

Like I said earlier this off season, Stafford has no more excuses. He has to produce this year if he wants to be considered a franchise QB.

I give him until next year, because of the new staff.

As for the article, I never expected that

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
Smack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope this is accurate.

Warford could for all we know have a sophomore slump, though OL don't have those as much as other positions it seems. And Waddle will now have the pressure of winning the full-time starting position in camp and locking it down through a whole season.

I really want to see Rodney Austin and Swanson in camp. The prospect of those two guys also being good, and the Lions potentially having a top-5 starting OL for years and years, makes me all giddy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smack wrote:

Warford could for all we know have a sophomore slump, though OL don't have those as much as other positions it seems. And Waddle will now have the pressure of winning the full-time starting position in camp and locking it down through a whole season.

I really want to see Rodney Austin and Swanson in camp. The prospect of those two guys also being good, and the Lions potentially having a top-5 starting OL for years and years, makes me all giddy.

I dont think years and years happens in todays NFL. If Reiff and Warford continue at least at the level they played last year, one of the two will be priced out of resigning. Same if any of the other guys improve. I think hoping this line stays together for three years is hopeful.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Smack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Smack wrote:

I dont think years and years happens in todays NFL. If Reiff and Warford continue at least at the level they played last year, one of the two will be priced out of resigning. Same if any of the other guys improve. I think hoping this line stays together for three years is hopeful.

I mean yeah, you don't keep all 5 guys together for 10 years anymore, but when you have 5 really good young players (maybe), you can keep 2 or 3, plug in around them and have a system and a culture that lasts.

Not to mention that 2 of the guys we're talking about were UDFA's and two others were third-round picks, only one first-rounder, so maybe it takes a little longer for them to work up to a contract that prices them out of range. It's all wishful thinking anyway of course but it's nice to at least have players we could speculate about like this instead of bums.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smack wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Smack wrote:

I mean yeah, you don't keep all 5 guys together for 10 years anymore, but when you have 5 really good young players (maybe), you can keep 2 or 3, plug in around them and have a system and a culture that lasts.

Not to mention that 2 of the guys we're talking about were UDFA's and two others were third-round picks, only one first-rounder, so maybe it takes a little longer for them to work up to a contract that prices them out of range. It's all wishful thinking anyway of course but it's nice to at least have players we could speculate about like this instead of bums.

I like what the Lions have done depth wise though. We have both Sims' and Dom's heir apparent with Austin and Swanson, and assuming Waddle wins the RT job they have both good depth (Hillard) and a good promising developmental guy (Lucas).

Team Stylish

Whiskey & Wings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally have a good O-Line when did this happen !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: