Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Futures contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michaela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Futures contract Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I literally know nothing about NFL except the names of a couple of teams Embarassed , but my lack of knowledge is forgivable considering I am from a foreign country (Australia) & have followed Rugby League my entire life, I know that game like the back of my hand.
However, I have a growing interest in NFL since one of our codes star players has attempted to make the switch. I wanted you guys to give me a little bit of insider info on the things that I know nothing about!
So,the player I was talking about previously is Jarryd Hayne, we're SO devastated that he left us
Crying or Very sad

1st thing, it is rumoured that he is closing in on a "futures contract" what does that mean? Is he likely to actually PLAY for that team on there run on side? Or is it just a meaningless peice of paper which could be irrelevant?
2nd thing, is the team he is signing a 'futures contract' with (which is rumoured to be Detroit) likely to be the team he actually ends up playing with ? Or do players generally switch teams?
Finally, can you give me the scoop on how people feel about hayne over there ? Do you guys want him to succeed in the NFL/ think he has what it takes?
I just want a little bit of insight on the general feeling (if there is any) towards him
Sorry if I sound silly, but the terminology of NFL sounds like a foreign language to me so I would really appreciate your help xx
jollyninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy like this usually ends up getting a tryout, coming to training camp, and getting cut; perhaps ending up in the practice squad for a year, and then the following season playing a bottom of the roster backup role for a year or two, or getting put on the practice squad again, and going back to what they are good at. Everyone in the NFL is a Phenominal athlete; what sets a great player apart in his sport is most often the mental aspect of the game; and most who try and move to football from another sport find that they lack the requisite years of mental development to just let their athleticism shine through.

There have been a few exceptions, but they are usually people who played football at some point before choosing to focus on another sport, and even then the track record is not great. Several Olympic medalists have tried to transition to the NFL from backgrounds as diverse as sprinters to skiers, and the vast majority have failed despite their natural athleticism. But every coach believes they are the one who can take ths wold class clay and mould it in to something they can use.

As for future contracts this is a good article:
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1947667-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nfl-futures-contracts
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Aussie! I've been hunting with a group of people these last three years and two of the people live in Australia, great people, feel like Aussie's are the more calm/fun cousin's of Americans.

Anyways, as far as the futures contract. There for players who are on practice squads, and UFA's not in college. An They're signed for the 2015 season, even though the 2015 season hasn't officially opened up for business(begging of free agency). So you get a futures contract if your signed between now and the begging of free agency.

He's basically coming in as a UDFA for next season. He doesn't have a shot at all this year to play. He's got to make it through all the camps, preseason, etc, before he actually makes the team.

It's extremely questionable if he'll be successful. He's never played, lots of athletes get opportunities to play here but really at this level, he's outmatched in terms of football smarts, the lack of knowledge of the game will kill him now that he's 27 playing guys and stars that have been consumed by football since likely 14, or whenever they hit high school.

Not out of the box, good size and everything it's just, Idk, it's more than just tackling and running by guys. Lions have given Rugby guys shots before this time, and I hope it works out one of these times because the talent that could be coming from Australia and the United Kingdom into American football.
andjordand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked onto Brian Kelley's GVSU team in 2003 after being an all-state HM soccer goalie and having always wanted to play football but my HS did not offer it as a sport. I worked out with the for 2 years and mostly played scout team free safety and punt/kick returner and punt team gunner. I was pretty fast (for a d2 safety, not KR) had pretty ideal size, exceptional hands and tackled well. I think that if he goes to play ST or defense he has a shot, especially because he probably has a good grasp of pursuit angles and tackling. One of the things I think that sets great American football athletes apart from the great soccer athletes I played against was their ability to accelerate out of breaks or shift momentum without really slowing down. I think it comes from playing all those years in pop warner, JV and Varsity football. I attended The university of Wollongong in 2005 and played a lot of pickup 7's and union games with people around campus: one thing I noticed is that most rugby players carry the ball away from their body and were easy to punch the ball out on, though I was not playing with cream of the crop players. Being one of the few 'seppos who would take on a bunch of fellas on the pitch was pretty fun, i still have some battle scars for it. Wish I could find some toohey's for tonight!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: