Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Make it or break it players for 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Make it or break it players for 2014 Reply with quote

I stole this from the Packers Forum.

What player(s) do you feel need either make something of their stay here in Detroit by the end of this season, or if they don't, it's time to cut ties with them and move on?

For this discussion please exclude second year players and this year's rookie class.

Name as many guys as you want, but please explain your decision.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Greenwood
Jason Jones
Ryan Broyles
Bill Bentley
Jonte Green
Tahir Whitehead
Nick Fairley

And to some extent Matt Stafford. I know his contract isn't really cut/trade friendly, but he needs to show maturity and leadership this year and show improvement or it will be time to consider another option.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Chris Greenwood
Jason Jones
Ryan Broyles
Bill Bentley
Jonte Green
Tahir Whitehead
Nick Fairley

And to some extent Matt Stafford. I know his contract isn't really cut/trade friendly, but he needs to show maturity and leadership this year and show improvement or it will be time to consider another option.
Pretty much this. Fairley needs to show that he can stay healthy and play smart.

Broyles is pretty much done but lets see if he can stay healthy this year. Really doesn't look good for him but I like what a healthy Broyles brings to the team.

Greenwood, Bently, and Green all need to step up and show that they belong on the team in some capacity. A lot is going to be riding on their shoulders for our CB position this year. I have high expectations for these young players under a new coaching regime. I'm hoping they all work out in someway this year. Getting a solid #2, 3, and 4 out of them would be great. I don't see #1 talent there though.
andjordand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Chris Greenwood
Jason Jones
Ryan Broyles
Bill Bentley
Jonte Green
Tahir Whitehead
Nick Fairley

I would remove Tahir Whitehead from your list due to his special teams ability and put Rob Sims down in his place. FWIW I completely agree with you about Stafford. He's very lucky he signed a new contract under the Schwartz regime and therefore doesn't give Caldwell any option of moving him until 2016 (if not restructured). Otherwise I could see Caldwell drafting his guy and doing the ol' Colin Kaepernick/Alex Smith Switcheroo.

Here's another controversial one: Stephen Tulloch. Not because his of his play, but moreso due to his potential trade value and questionable fit as an ILB in a 3-4 hybrid front. I say this because moving Tahir Whitehead to ILB is an intriguing move due to his overall size difference compared to Tulloch/Travis Lewis.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Chris Greenwood
Jason Jones
Ryan Broyles
Bill Bentley
Jonte Green
Tahir Whitehead
Nick Fairley

I'd add Leshoure to the list too.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
Lions017

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Chris Greenwood
Jason Jones
Ryan Broyles
Bill Bentley
Jonte Green
Tahir Whitehead
Nick Fairley

I was going to add Leshoure to the list. If he doesn't show anything he's probably cut during training camp.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Chris Greenwood
Jason Jones
Ryan Broyles
Bill Bentley
Jonte Green
Tahir Whitehead
Nick Fairley

I was going to add Leshoure to the list. If he doesn't show anything he's probably cut during training camp.

I agree with that completely, I guess I just kind of wrote him off already so I dont think he will have a chance to make it or break it, at least with us. He will sign somewhere else though and get a chance, especially once injuries happen.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Smack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them. Except possibly Stafford as getting rid of him would really hurt the team financially

Fairley is gone, good season or bad, get used to the idea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smack wrote:
All of them. Except possibly Stafford as getting rid of him would really hurt the team financially

If Fairley out performs Suh and Suh leaves, why wouldn't they resign Fairley?

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Stafford
2. Broyles
3. LeShoure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Smack wrote:

The question is, why would Fairley re-sign when we passed on his option? Unless he either has such a breakout season that they franchise him, or he falls in love with Caldwell, neither of which I see happening, he's out of here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smack wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Smack wrote:

The question is, why would Fairley re-sign when we passed on his option? Unless he either has such a breakout season that they franchise him, or he falls in love with Caldwell, neither of which I see happening, he's out of here.

I think Fairley understands that his weight gain as well as his injury history are major knocks against him at this point. He has a lot to prove, and honestly he may be glad they didn't extend him for cheap. Now he can go out and earn his big pay day this year. By "big" I mean bigger than his rookie deal. I hope he doesn't want monster numbers after this year, and if he does then they'll have to let him walk.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Broyles - Stay healthy or he's done, simply as that.

Bill Bentley - Health and mediocrity have both plagued him.

Nick Fairley - I'm honestly having a hard time seeing him on this roster next year one way or another. We're about to commit big money to Suh, and they declined Fairley's fifth-year option. He could explode--at which point he'd probably get contract offers higher than what we could match--or he'll have another inconsistent season where he shows promise but also deals with nagging health concerns and periods of limited productivity. Some team might offer him money based on potential as opposed to production, but if we give Suh that money then I don't know that we can afford to give a $5+ million a year contract to a second DT.

Jonte Green - If I'm being honest I don't think he makes the 53-man roster. But it's either him or . . .

Chris Greenwood - He actually played well in limited time last year, but being that this is year three, he needs to show something, at least on special teams (wouldn't his speed make him a good gunner candidate at least?). He does still have practice squad eligibility IIRC, so we could stash him there if we have to.

Kris Durham - He's on a one year deal. Probably won't be back, but I think he's the #4 receiver for this one last year anyway. He'll have to play well on special teams to earn consideration for another (probably one-year) contract.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
andjordand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Ihedigbo & Rob Sims

Ihedigbo's contract is for two years, but if he doesn't fit this year I could see the Lions drafting/signing his repalcement in 2015. It will be interesting to see if the Lions LB's can adjust to a SS/FS tandem after playing with a 2 safety L/R system. I think having Ihedigbo in the box will really help Tulloch with the interior run defense and free Suh & Fairley to pin their ears back and shoot their gaps; however, his relatively decreased agility compared to Delmas has me worried against RB's that can bounce outside or catch the football in the flats -hopefully Quin, Levy and Van Noy and the corners help him out there.

Regarding Rob Sims, he's getting 2.2 Million to play this year and will turn 31 in December. He's a free agent in 2015 and likely on his last contract. It will be interesting to see if he picks up where he left off in 2012 or has another mediocre 2013 (injury to blame?). He's another guy I could see the Lions spending a high draft pick on to replace.

I'd mention Mathis but the jury is still out whether he will be the starting player by week 16. His replacement in Bentley/Greenwood/Green may already be on the roster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: