Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darius Slay??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don MAGIC Juan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Darius Slay?? Reply with quote

Hello my fellow Lions fans, Im pretty new here. I just wanted to get you guys opinion on Darius Slay. How do you feel about him defending teams Number 1 WR. Not going to lie teams were going after him his rookie season. that Dez bryant catch is still stuck in my mind. ehhhh! I like him and i have faith in him. From watching some of the preseason games i feel like we could use some more help out on the edge. i know its preseason but we've had a problem at that position for a few years now. Not drafting Justin Gilbert might come biting us in the you know what. he looks pretty solid next to Joe haden over there in cleveland. Next years draft i dont have a problem with us going ALL defensive of picks. hopefully Ebron works out Pray

AAL:Bill Bentley
Brandon Pettigrew
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year the weak secondary is certainly discussed, at length, here.

Slay is young, and still learning. It would be nice if he developed into something special but it's likely he will be serviceable and not much more.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slay is young, and still learning. It would be nice if he developed into something special but it's likely he will be serviceable and not much more.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the dreaded triple post DH Laughing

As for the original topic, we didnt have the opportunity to draft Gilbert as he was drafted by Cleveland before we had the chance so we cant fault them on that. However if Dennard, Verrett or Fuller turn into something great and Ebron fails miserably then we might.

However, i want to give him the benefit of the doubt until atleast next year
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cibowilson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was mentioned here you can't hold them accountable for Gilbert as he was picked before us. (I was really hoping he would've been our pick) But as for Slay if he can keep his confidence I really think he is about a year away. Even the two plays you mentioned and pictured he was in position to make plays on the ball I just don't think he's strong enough. Especially against a those two WRs who are crazy strong. If you look he literally has his hand on the ball making a play, he just wasn't strong enough to pry the ball out.

I think when his recognition gets better it will help to put him in better position to make those plays a half second earlier and that will help where his strength might fail at times. Plus those, especially the Dez TD, were crazy catches if I remember correctly.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt fond of the Slay pick, but I saw some encouraging signs last year.

You mentioned that Dez TD; he had great coverage, it was just an amazing catch.

He got beat by Marshall for a long TD on Chicagos first drive in Chicago, but that was another play where he was in great position, but just got beat by a perfect throw on that one.

Watching him a bit this pre-season, he tends to get too upright in his backpedal.

He is probably the most talented DB we have had here in years and I am hopeful he'll turn out to be a good one. As for this season, Id be happy with him being solid.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach with Slay. I saw some definite signs of improvement towards the end of last year and I liked what I heard about his off season regimen.

By the way, if we're going to start kicking our front office for not drafting defensive players who were already drafted by the time our pick was on the clock, lets kick em for not getting Clowney. That guy is going to be twice the pro Gilbert will be IMO.

Team Stylish

Thanks to Smack for the sig!
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
I'm taking a "wait and see" approach with Slay. I saw some definite signs of improvement towards the end of last year and I liked what I heard about his off season regimen.

By the way, if we're going to start kicking our front office for not drafting defensive players who were already drafted by the time our pick was on the clock, lets kick em for not getting Clowney. That guy is going to be twice the pro Gilbert will be IMO.

Yep, we also should've picked up JJ Watt instead of Fairley.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
Wasnt fond of the Slay pick, but I saw some encouraging signs last year.

You mentioned that Dez TD; he had great coverage, it was just an amazing catch.

He got beat by Marshall for a long TD on Chicagos first drive in Chicago, but that was another play where he was in great position, but just got beat by a perfect throw on that one.

Watching him a bit this pre-season, he tends to get too upright in his backpedal.

He is probably the most talented DB we have had here in years and I am hopeful he'll turn out to be a good one. As for this season, Id be happy with him being solid.

Yup 100% agreement, hes probably the best DB we've had with an huge upside! but i noticed we never taken a coner with an 1st rd pick before that has to change. plus with our defensive coordinator being a defensive back minded coach, i believe that will change in the mid future.

AAL:Bill Bentley
Brandon Pettigrew
ThugCityGrunt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:

What makes you say that? We knew coming out he had quite a bit of upside and he has put that on display late last year and so far this year. We also knew that it would take a few years for him to fully develop. He may not be quite ready yet to handle guys like Brandon Marshall, but he should be at least average against most #1's. Thats pretty good for a sophomore 2nd year CB who was supposed to be very raw coming out of college.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt he is ever anything more than a nickel CB forced into starter role because he's the best of the junk they have

This secondary is horrible. DHLF hit it on the head

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions secondary will once again be their achilles heel. Going into last season, Houston, Slay, Quinn and Delmas offered some optimism but we had no depth. Plus Houston got hurt, Slay stunk and was replaced with Mathis, and Delmas didn't practice.

This year we have two new starting cornerbacks, Slay and Mathis plus one new starting safety, Ihedigbo. Quinn is the only returning starter that played all year last year. Once more, we have no depth at either position and Gomes injury only exacerbates our lack of depth.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThugCityGrunt wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

What makes you say that? We knew coming out he had quite a bit of upside and he has put that on display late last year and so far this year. We also knew that it would take a few years for him to fully develop. He may not be quite ready yet to handle guys like Brandon Marshall, but he should be at least average against most #1's. Thats pretty good for a sophomore 2nd year CB who was supposed to be very raw coming out of college.

Upside.

Every player the Lions have ever drafted is touted as having upside but very few ever reach their projections.

He was up and down last season which is expected of a rookie. So far this year? It's preseason so let's hold off on judgements until the regular season.

I say he will probably be serviceable and you suggest he will be average based on assumptions.

Sorry, but I'm not going out on a limb based on what I've seen to date.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a fan of the pick at the time, but I have seen nothing that leads me to believe he is even starting worthy yet, much less an average starter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: