Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 2016 Carolina Panthers offseason thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: The 2016 Carolina Panthers offseason thread Reply with quote

Gettleman and Rivera did their year end pressers today.

G-Man said "you can't sign everyone" when asked about Short and Norman. Said he isn't afraid to use the franchise tag. Sounds a bit ominous about Short's future though... Overall though, said the cap situation is not bad. However, says he doesn't want to develop other team's players.

Reiterated that big men help you compete and that if you're running the ball, stopping the run, and rushing the passer, you aren't going to be a Super Bowl contender. Said defense travels. Basically, sounds like he wants to invest in more defense and OLine.

Said he is excited about getting Benji back but otherwise didn't really make any comments about the WRs.

Compared Kony to Norman in that they were both stubborn as young players and slowly came along. Showed that he has a very high opinion of him imo. Would expect Kony to become a full-time starter in 2016.

So let's see how many people want to bash him for not showing signs of wanting to bring in big name FAs and claiming that the answer is on the roster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not one to promote my own threads but isn't this the same thread?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=575283

We've already got off season discussion going on, you should join!
Mr. bDoDDleS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: The 2016 Carolina Panthers offseason thread Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
However, says he doesn't want to develop other team's players.

Like I said in the other thread, he said he doesn't want to develop players FOR other teams. Which means he doesn't want to have guys like Norman and Short develop into All-Pros only for them to leave in FA.

Quote:
Reiterated that big men help you compete and that if you're running the ball, stopping the run, and rushing the passer, you ARE going to be a Super Bowl contender.

FIFY

2x FF Elite Fantasy Baseball League Champion
Panthers11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks keeping Short long term is more important than Norman long term?

Dalvin Cook to Carolina hype leader.
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: The 2016 Carolina Panthers offseason thread Reply with quote

Mr. bDoDDleS wrote:
Zithers wrote:
However, says he doesn't want to develop other team's players.

Like I said in the other thread, he said he doesn't want to develop players FOR other teams. Which means he doesn't want to have guys like Norman and Short develop into All-Pros only for them to leave in FA.

Quote:
Reiterated that big men help you compete and that if you're running the ball, stopping the run, and rushing the passer, you ARE going to be a Super Bowl contender.

FIFY

The thick Boston accent got me.

Though his disinterest in DBs suggests next year is a tryout year for Norman to get the extension. I really think G-Man is more interested in hog mollies. Benwikere and Boston so far are good players but not guys who are on their way to demand big contracts, for example. KK and Star would be prioritized over Norman if I had to bet despite his fire and obvious elite talent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We desperately need offensive and defensive lineman. Receivers and secondary are..... Well secondary needs. After that we need to beef up our depth.
117 Pass TDs
3,207 Rush Yards
43 Rush TDs
Lasus83

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
We desperately need offensive and defensive lineman. Receivers and secondary are..... Well secondary needs. After that we need to beef up our depth.

Are you quoting me... I feel like you're quoting me.

FFMD 15 - General Manager
FFMD 16 - Asst. General Manager
iknowcool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not major news or surprising; Jerricho Cotchery and Roman Harper had the final years of their contract voided and will be free agents.

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/697862072743370753

Quote:
Both contracts voided today. $1.35M in dead money for Cotchery; $900K for Harper.

It will be interesting to see what we do at safety. Ever since Gettleman has arrived, we have relied on cheap free agent signings at safety. It worked extremely well for us in 2013 (Mitchell / Mikell), was horrible for us in 2014 (DeCoud), and was fantastic in 2015 (Coleman). I think Boston has shown enough to the point where we shouldn't feel the need to invest in a first round pick at safety, but it isn't out of the question later in the draft and we could always bring in competition through FA.

Cotchery had the best hands out of all the receivers other than maybe Bersin, but he's gotten up there in age. I like how our receivers are looking for next season. Benjamin-Funchess-Ginn is a solid receiving group, especially on a run-first team. Plus we still have Olsen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Not major news or surprising; Jerricho Cotchery and Roman Harper had the final years of their contract voided and will be free agents.

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/697862072743370753

Quote:
Both contracts voided today. $1.35M in dead money for Cotchery; $900K for Harper.

It will be interesting to see what we do at safety. Ever since Gettleman has arrived, we have relied on cheap free agent signings at safety. It worked extremely well for us in 2013 (Mitchell / Mikell), was horrible for us in 2014 (DeCoud), and was fantastic in 2015 (Coleman). I think Boston has shown enough to the point where we shouldn't feel the need to invest in a first round pick at safety, but it isn't out of the question later in the draft and we could always bring in competition through FA.

Cotchery had the best hands out of all the receivers other than maybe Bersin, but he's gotten up there in age. I like how our receivers are looking for next season. Benjamin-Funchess-Ginn is a solid receiving group, especially on a run-first team. Plus we still have Olsen.

Bersin's hands really are under-appreciated. I can't get too much on board with him due to the hair and punt return debacle...

I'm sure that both guys are dissapointed to not be brought back. TBH, I'm a bit dissapointed too... not because of the players that they were/are... but because of the people that they are. Really seemed like stand-up guys.

It's a business, though.

I still don't think we're shopping at "Nordstrom"... I think our cart is just gonna be a bit more full from Big Lots.

er...

Which is to say...

I don't forsee us signing any marquee guys in FA... I expect us to sign a bunch of mid-tier guys, vets and udrfa's.

Seems like the phelosophy, here, is to get as much talent as you can and sort out who works the best together.

atown703

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Kalil is a likely cut.. how great would it be to have Ryan and Matt Kalil on our Oline?!? The Kalil brothers protecting Cam and opening up holes for our run game. It won't happen but it would be a good story Cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll move this over to this one...lol. Few minor adjustments.

I'm going with a 154M as projected cap. Going to go through by position. Anything in parentheses is the dead money to cut. Only going to put it next to realistic options

QB Cam Newton 19.5M
D. Anderson 1.95M

RB J Stewart 9.55M(7.3M)
CAP .6M
Fozzy .75M

FB-?????????

WR K Benjamin 2.1M
Funchess 1.26M
Ginn 2.3M
Brown .6M
WR??????????
ST/WR ????????(Joe Webb probably)

TE Olsen 5.1M
Dickson 2.5M(1.3M)
TE?????????

OL Kalil 10.3M
Oher 4.5M
Turner .75M
Norwell .6M
Williams .66M
OL ???????????
OL ???????????
OL ???????????
OL ???????????

DL Short 1.5M
Star L. 3.1M
Ealy 1M
Addison 1.47M
Delaire .6M
DT??????????
DT ?????????
DE?????????
DE ?????????

LB Luuuke K. 6M
T Davis 7.5M
Shaq T. 2M
AJ Klein .7M
Mayo .5M
ST/LB ?????????(Jacobs spot)

DB Bene B .6M
Coleman 1.5M
Boston .7M
ST Colin Jones .9M
ST Teddy Williams .7M
CB ????????????
CB ????????????
S ??????????
S ???????????

ST K Gano 3.7M(1.5M)
P ???????????????
LS ??????????(probably Jansen for 1M)

Cut-- C. Johnson 15M (4M)
J. Allen 8.5M (0)
D. Edwards 2.25M (.5M)
N. Chandler 1.7M (.4M)

Total savings: 22.55M

These 32 players will take up 102M in cap space for 2016. With the cuts above, and D-Lo's remaining dead money, we will have about 8M in dead money. Our rollover from 2015(4.7M) should pay for the 6 draft picks. So that leaves 44M for 13 spots.

That should leave plenty to tag Norman(13M)
Extend KK Short(10M) ( get it done now while we have leverage)
Extend Norwell(4.5M) before he plays himself out of our price range
Re-sign Tolbert(2M)
Re-sign Webb(1M)
Re-sign Jansen(1M)
Sign a P---(1M)

That would leave 11.5M for 8 spots. Not going to be able to go after any big-time FAs, which is a good thing to me. Much rather sign the players you know can produce in your system and fit in the locker room, than take chances on FAs with big money attached.

I can't see G-man doing anything with J-Stew this year. Cutting him isn't an option really, and I think he just wants that contract off the books. Much like CJ this year, just bite the bullet and hope he remains productive and healthy this year. Let him go in 2017 when he's only 3.5M to cut. That will finally be the end of the Hurney contracts.

I also think they give Kalil the TD/Olsen extension. His base salary is 7.5M this year, and I can't figure out his status for 2017and18. But I could see a 3-year deal that would lower his cap hit this year and finish his career here.

Getts will sign some "value" FAs that can start for a year and draft behind them. Hopefully, we can find a "ring chaser" or two, that will take less than market value. LT, DE, CB in some combo in the first three rounds. Doesn't want to have to start any rookies unless they show they are clearly the best option. He already stated he doesn't want any clear needs going into the draft. So a mid-level vet at CB or DE is most likely scenario.

And while I hate taking RBs in the 1st, if Elliot is there, sprin t to the podium. And another thing I don't like is trading for other teams vets. But I would find out exactly what CLE wants for Joe Thomas. We are starting our "window", and unless someone can come up with a better plan for LT, now and in the near future, it would cover a huge hole for at least 3 years.
burnoutonme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he's kind of imploded to some degree after coming on strong as a rookie, but a name to keep in mind is Matt Kalil. The Vikings are expected to move on from either he or Loadholt, and Kalil's 5th year option will count $11M against their cap. He's got the ability, and he's played well as a run blocker. We could try him at left or right tackle if he doesn't break the bank.

I say this all with the caveat that I put a lot of stock in offensive line chemistry and I think that playing with his brother could potentially help to elevate his play.

FFMD 2016 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2015 Carolina Panthers AGM
steelpanther

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:
I know he's kind of imploded to some degree after coming on strong as a rookie, but a name to keep in mind is Matt Kalil. The Vikings are expected to move on from either he or Loadholt, and Kalil's 5th year option will count $11M against their cap. He's got the ability, and he's played well as a run blocker. We could try him at left or right tackle if he doesn't break the bank.

I say this all with the caveat that I put a lot of stock in offensive line chemistry and I think that playing with his brother could potentially help to elevate his play.

I'm much more comfortable giving Williams a shot at RT. And he would actually be a downgrade from Oher at LT. He would have to come very cheap for me to even consider it.
burnoutonme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelpanther wrote:
burnoutonme wrote:

I'm much more comfortable giving Williams a shot at RT. And he would actually be a downgrade from Oher at LT. He would have to come very cheap for me to even consider it.

Yeah, like I said, I'd like to take a flier on him if he doesn't break the bank. I read back through all of his blurbs since his rookie season and it really just seems like he's battled health concerns. He's had scopes on both knees recently, had a toe, back tightness, and also had pneumonia (which caused weight loss and was probably directly related to the only poor performances of his rookie year.)

I'm just saying that last season, we brought in a cheap, injury prone, underachieving former 1st round pick that ended up panning out a lot better than any of us anticipated. The brother connection just adds some narrative. Who knows, the guy might not even get cut, haha. Just fun to speculate.

FFMD 2016 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2015 Carolina Panthers AGM
Lasus83

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:
steelpanther wrote:
burnoutonme wrote:

Yeah, like I said, I'd like to take a flier on him if he doesn't break the bank. I read back through all of his blurbs since his rookie season and it really just seems like he's battled health concerns. He's had scopes on both knees recently, had a toe, back tightness, and also had pneumonia (which caused weight loss and was probably directly related to the only poor performances of his rookie year.)

I'm just saying that last season, we brought in a cheap, injury prone, underachieving former 1st round pick that ended up panning out a lot better than any of us anticipated. The brother connection just adds some narrative. Who knows, the guy might not even get cut, haha. Just fun to speculate.

I am 100% on board with Matt IF he is released.

Williams rotation was replaced, in the SB, by Scott (at times) b/c he couldn't compete, mentally, in the game. Williams is an unknown commodity.

We know what we have in the interior of the line. That trio is safe, i'd say. 2 probowlers and Norwell (who performed very well this year).

However, you have to ask a very uncomfortable question. Why did we get beat last sunday?

The, unfortunate, answer is that it was due to pressure on Cam and drops/fumbles by the playmakers. All things that were uncharacteristic for our team this year... but our biggest question marks coming into the year.

I'd put OT (LT or RT), WR and RB on the priority list this offseason.... only behing DE.

We ran too many max protection packages this year due to a need to bring in extra blockers as help for our tackles. This implys, also, that the coaches are aware of our weaknesses and schemed to mask them.... mostly effectively.

A HB like Henry could come in right away and be an upgrade as a runner and a pass blocker. If we leave in 6 to block, the 6th (IMO) should always be the HB.

WR... well... the arguement there is that we've got KB returning and Funchess maturing. With Brown and Ginn playing above expectations this year, how can one really justify allotting much attention to the WR position... it's a sound arguement. However, who (besides KB) demands double coverage? Who can be trusted to win the 1 on 1's.

In this department, I don't really want a mid-round pick... I feel that's what most of our WR's currently are anyway. But if a FA or trade is possible to put another KB-ish kind of WR out there... I'd say that we should jump on it... and this is against my usual mind-set.

I just think... what if KB can't come back like he did. What if he gets hurt again? Or, the opposite, what if we had a 100% KB and a 100% Brandon Marshall-type WR out there.

We lost because we could not put up enough points. That sounds cliche, and it is. But, we simply got a gut shot on offense and we need to do something about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: