Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free agency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texansfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Free agency Reply with quote

It's slow at work today, so figured I'd post a few more.

There are a number of good free agents that are going to be available this year for us. And fortunately, a number of these guys will fill some positions of need for us. In no particular order (and mostly just me rambling) here are some of the ones I think the texans should pursue:

Orlando Pace and Walter Jones: It's no secret that the texans need help on the O-line and both of these guys are as good as it gets. I would prefer to get Pace, mainly because he is very unlikely to go back to St Louis, and the other is that he is undeniably one of the best tackles in the NFL. Both of these guys would be an upgrade and give us a good pair of bookends with Todd Wade.

Ed Hartwell and Julian Peterson: Hartwell would be the more likely of these two to land in Houston, as Peterson is one of the cornerstones of a very poor San Francisco team. Rumors out of Baltimore seem to feel that Hartwell is expendable, but he is one of the top linebackers in the league and already plays in a 3-4. If he were to come to Houston he would team with Sharper (a former teammate on Baltimore) and really solidify the unit. Peterson's stock may be a bit low right now due to his injury last year, so maybe the texans can get him relatively cheap.

Plaxico Burress: Would give the texans a big target and one of the rising receivers in the league. Would team with Andre Johnson to form an impressive unit. Doubtful tho since Burress would want number 1 money and catches, which is doubtful in Houston.

Corey Simon: Plays DT for the Eagles, but may be able to switch over and play either nose or DE in the 3-4.

There are a few other guys I would love to have, but truly doubt Houston would have an interest in them. Charles Woodson would be nice, but too expensive and Aaron Glenn is still playing well. Shaun Alexander would be great for us at running back since I'm not really that high on Domanick, but DD has run well so picking up a high-profile running back is doubtful.
texansfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After closer examination of our cap situation, it seems unlikely for the texans to make any major splashes in free agency. Hopefully they can splurge for a guy like Hartwell, but we couldn't afford Pace at all. I think we'll probably use a 3rd rounder on an O-lineman, and probably go defense with our first 2 picks.
pickledpigsfeet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how many of you have access to ESPN.com's Insider but there they list all of the 2005 free agents. While there are some interesting names out there, I just don't see the Texans making a big splash. Maybe 1 decent name, a few mid level players, and then a few guys to fill the roster and improve the quality of the back ups and practice players.

A few players to consider that shouldn't cost too much:

DT Pat Williams (currently with Buffalo) - Has experience in the 3-4
WR Dane Looker (currently with Rams) - A good slot WR
TE Anthony Becht (Currently with Jets) - Adding depth and a possible starter
DE Carl Powell (currently with Bengals) - versatile and adds depth to DE/DT
LB Ed Hartwell (currently with Ravens) - improvement to LB's
LB Tommy Polley (currently with Rams) - Has speed to play outside in 3-4
CB Anthony Henry (currently with Browns) - would be a good 3rd CB and could be a future fill in for Glenn
S Adrian Wilson (currently with Cardinals) - Upgrade to position
pickledpigsfeet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another free agent DT that is used to playing in the 3-4. This from ESPN Insider:

If NT Keith Traylor is not welcomed back to New England, we hear that he would like to close out his playing career somewhere closer to the Arkansas native's Southern roots.

He isn't a full time player, but certainly an effective one that could really help the Texans for the right price. Would also be a good veteran locker room presence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: