Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

When do they announce Fewell's firing.... ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkebones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: When do they announce Fewell's firing.... ? Reply with quote

first round of head coach and GM firings out. how long for Mara/Tisch to "evaluate" that Fewell needs to go.?

what kind of backlash does the team get if they give him the "injury plagued benefit of the doubt" and he sticks around... ?
minutemancl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently media talks to players today while Mara and Tisch meet with Coughlin and JR and they will talk to the media later in the week. I've gotta assume they announce it later this week. No need to draw it out.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defense looked as bad this year as the offense did last year. Tom and Rolle have spoken out saying they're behind Fewell but from Tom's point of view it goes along with the type of coach he's always been.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better question is when do they announce Quinn's firing.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think someone like Todd Bowles or Dan Quinn from Seattle would come be our DC for a year knowing they'll be promoted to HC when TC retires? Thats two birds with one stone. We get our top choice for HC + a great DC.

Also, the more I think about it... The more the idea of Rex as our DC grows on me. But, he's going to make mad money being a broadcaster soo, he's out.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@RVacchianoNYDN: So there's still nothing official, but it looks like exactly what we expected: Reese and Coughlin returning, possible coaching staff changes

Yup, Fewell is gone. If Coughlin doesn't like it, he can leave too. Looks like he's on board though.

Shockey1979

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read in the ESPN article he has a meeting at 3:00PM to discuss staff changes. I swear if Fewell somehow survives.. I don't even know what to say.

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
dkebones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
Read in the ESPN article he has a meeting at 3:00PM to discuss staff changes. I swear if Fewell somehow survives.. I don't even know what to say.

Pray
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The champagne is on ice, fellas. Can't wait to be rid of this clown.

PS I don't even like champagne, but this is a special occassion.
mlv

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
@RVacchianoNYDN: So there's still nothing official, but it looks like exactly what we expected: Reese and Coughlin returning, possible coaching staff changes

Yup, Fewell is gone. If Coughlin doesn't like it, he can leave too. Looks like he's on board though.

These are my feelings as well. I'll stomach another year of TC as long as a new DC is there (which he shouldn't have any say in choosing, because every DC he's hand-picked has been horrible. Let Reese pick him, just like he picked Spags).
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC staying brings a very interesting cascading effect. First off, it all but guarantees that Eli is back next season. I've said this all along but when you think about it: a new coach is going to want their own guy at QB.

Why would you bring in a new QB this year knowing TC isn't long term? You can then make the argument that you cannot extend him because it brings up the same issue next offseason.

I think if you see him extended this offseason, it suggests they plan for McAdoo to replace TC in the long-term.

All speculation at this point but the Giants' FO don't make hasty decisions. I'm sure they will be looking 2-3 years down the road as it relates to this coaching staff.

Which begs the question: what big name DC could they get to come in knowing they may be one and done?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:

Begins with F and rhythms with duck
bagh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:

Which begs the question: what big name DC could they get to come in knowing they may be one and done?

I dont think it will be a big name. I see someone who is a good DB coach or LB coach getting a promotion.

If it is a big name, it will most likely be a guy promised a shot at the big job when Coughlin leaves. Lets be honest with ourselves here. This guys has 2 Super Bowls and we are the Giants and not the Redskins. If this guy leaves, it will be on his own terms.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really digging the Pepper Johnson choice. He's got the experience and the success and the Giants connections.

IbleedBLUE24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four potential replacements should Fewell get let go would be in my opinion Rex Ryan, Steve Spagnulo, Pepper Johnson, or Vic Fangio.

Ryan and Fangio run 3-4 set defenses which may make them longshots as that would create a tremendous need to overhaul our entire front 7. Kennard as an ILB and Hankins as a 3-4 end is all we have currently to fit that scheme in the front 7. Maybe Moore as a 3-4 end. Crazier things have happened though I suppose.

Spags worked out well the first go around, but with Strahan, Osi, and Tuck as the three headed monster to lead his four ace packages. I wonder what he would be able to do with JPP (if resigned), Ayers, and Moore.

Pepper Johnson is just a coach who I've read plenty of good things about. Seems to be an up and coming coach who is scheme versatile to run either the 3-4 or 4-3 or both if he has the right personnel for it.

As long as Fewell soft defense and Quinn's pathetic coaching are gone this offseason will be deemed a success for me. They are not the sole reasons for why the Giants went 6-10, but shoulder a good portion of the blame for failures on their sides of the ball.

For those who want to hire the next DC to be a head coach in waiting is not thinking in line with NYG brass. McAdoo was hired with that same intention a year ago. His offense, save for the offensive line, was a good reason why we ended up 6-10 this year. He hasn't flamed out as a potential HC in waiting so what the Giants needs is not the next HC in waiting, but rather a DC who can create a monster defense. Truthfully the four names above have all done so in the career's (Ryan,Ravens; Fangio, 49ers; Johnson; Patriots and Bills but neither was he the coordinator; Spags with us for 2 years and 1 superbowl)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: