Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eric's Post-Combine mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Eric's Post-Combine mock Reply with quote

Notable players Released/not returning:

Chad Greenway
Jasper Brinkley
Matt Asiata

Notable players resigned/restructured:

Harrison Smith - 5 years, 40 million
Tom Johnson - 1 year
Joe Berger - 1 year
Mike Harris - 1 year
Greg Jennings - Restructured
Practice squad players to future deals

Trades: Adrian Peterson traded to the Colts for their 2nd & 4th round picks.

The Vikings & Adrian ultimately decide its best for both parties to move on. . So the Vikings find the perfect trade partner in the Colts who are desperate for a workhorse back. Vikes wanted a 1st, but decided to settle for the 2nd and 4th as it was their best deal.

[b]Free agency:

MLB Brandon Spikes - 2 years

The Vikings bring in Spikes with the intention of him being a 2 down LB, to exclusively stop the run. And Spikes excels in doing so, grading out very high by pff in run defense. He should help shore up a below average run defense that was in 2014. He comes to MIN for the starting opportunity, and play for Mike Zimmer.

S Tyvon Branch - 1 year

Branch is still a very good safety when healthy, but lately he hasnt been able to. So the Vikings bring in Branch on a 1 year deal with the hopes that he can catch back on where he was pre-injury. If he does then the Vikings have an excellent safety duo, and they can lock him up for a few more years. If not then he's at least serviceable until Exum is ready, or we find someone else. But this is a serious minimal risk, high reward signing.

G Justin Blalock - 1 year

The Vikings decide to for another one year deal, and decide after that who will be staying and going after that. Much like Ducasse, Coleman, and Cox last year. Blalock will come in and be the favorite to start at LG, where he played the last few years in ATL. He has been very solid there, with a little drop off this past year. But he is an upgrade over Johnson, and is basically a stop gap until Yankee or a rookie is ready to take over.

The draft:

1. The Vikings select..... Trae Waynes, CB, Mich St
Quote:
After much consideration, the Vikings decide to take the big gifted corner out of Mich St. Zimmer thinks he can turn this kid into a shutdown corner, and Trae certainly has all the tools. Minnesota wants a pass rusher here, but there was a run on them in the top 10. So they are happy to take Waynes. He and Rhodes should form an excellent tandem as they go up against the monster WRs of the NFCN. The future is bright for this defense.

2. The Vikings select..... Danielle Hunter, DE, LSU

Quote:
The Vikings get their pass rusher here in the 2nd, and Hunter has ridiculous athleticism for a guy his size. He goes 6-5, 252 lbs, 34 in arms, and he ran in the 4.5s. And his strong suit right now is actually stopping the run. But he has big potential as a pass rusher, and he will get plenty of chances as a rookie to show his stuff.

2(IND). The Vikings select Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise St

Quote:
Ajayi is a do it all back, and one of my favorite players in the whole draft. He's a tough, physical runner who reminds me of a young Marshawn Lynch. He has game breaking ability, but he can get the tough yards. He will come in as #2 behind McKinnon, but will surely be looking to become a ffeature back. He and McKinnon should compliment eachother very well.

Trade: The Vikings Trade their 3rd & 4th to the NE Patriots for the last pick in the 2nd round.

2. The Vikings select..... Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami

Quote:
Dorsett is a gamebreaker, and he wins from the slot as well as the outside. He reminds me alot of TY Hilton. It makes sense for the Vikings because Greg Jennings is getting old and Jarius Wright is set to hit FA next year. But he's a great fit for Norvs vertical offense, as he's probably the best deep threat in this years draft.(could argue Devin as well) Alot of people will look at his size and say eh hes too small, we want the 6-4 WR. Well we have guys like E.Sanders, A.Brown, TY Hilton, OBJ, and plenty of other smaller WRs tearing up the league. Smaller, quicker guys are hard to cover. I think IF Cordarrelle and/or Johnson can develope, we will have 3 very good young WRs. Patterson-Johnson-Dorsett-Wright is alot of speed.

4. The Vikings select..... Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M

Quote:
Cedric is a very talented player, who should be picked earlier but slips because of a torn ACL. Much like Colvin slipped last year. Cedric has the athleticism to play tackle, and thats where the Vikings see him. He can redshirt his first season, and he will be looking at taking over the starting RT job in the near future. But if Kalil struggles, we could also try him out at LT. Ultimately he's a swing tackle until he's ready to take over one of the tackle positions. He's also in the mix at LG if Yankey doesnt step up and Blalock fails.

5. The Vikings select..... Gabe Wright, DT, Auburn

Quote:
Wright is an explosive penetrating DT, whom will look to get in the rotation at DT. He pumped 34 reps at the combine so we know hes strong. Zimmer can work with these raw tools, and probably turn him into a solid backup. He will come to training camp looking to compete with Tom Johnson for Floyds backup.

6. The Vikings select..... Taiwan Jones, MLB, Mich St
Quote:
Jones has great tools to be a two down thumper, and will look hopefully be the future at MLB after some development.

7. The Vikings select..... Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon St
Quote:
Here's the project QB, hopefully after a year of learning the offense he will be ready to compete for the backup QB job. Will have clipboard duties as a rookie.
[/b]

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the record, i want Adrian back on the Vikings really bad. But its looking dim, so i traded him in this mock.

I also think the Vikings are gonna take a pass rusher at #11, but i think Waynes is a possibility. Zimmer loves his corners.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for me.

Danielle Hunter belongs nowhere near the 2nd round. He would have been much better off staying in school. Athleticism is there, but it doesn't translate to the field and he doesn't display a good feel for the game.

Don't like trading up for Dorsett. I don't put him, based on the games I've watched, in the TY Hilton or Antonio Brown conversation. That player this year is Tyler Lockett (IMO), don't like Mannion or taking a QB late in general, and not a huge fan of Taiwan Jones after his poorish combine forced me to go back and look at him again.

I think the positions are good, just don't like the players or usage of assets.
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he's raw, but i think he has really good potential. We saw last year what Zimmer can do with athletes. And i think that moto will continue this year, draft great athletes and mold them to the system.

And Dorsett i went back and forth with. But you cant ignore 20+ yards a catch last year with i think 10 Tds, and that was under 40 catches. Plus the speed is real(4.3). And IF Patterson or Johnson develope, then the WR core would be really nice.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can partially agree. Just too many ifs for me Wink
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i had to say right now what i think the Vikings will do, i think they are gonna take a pass rusher and its likely Dupree. But i like to explore different ideas sometimes. Plus these are players that i do like.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually watched Hunter for the first time tonight and I liked what I saw. He's strong against the run despite a lean frame (with plenty of room to grow) and really shows a nice closing burst. He's one of the youngest players in the draft as well, turns 21 in October.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an easy jump, and if it could have been said here or somewhere else earlier, but if we select Waynes, I am totally calling that the "Waynes World, Waynes World, Party Time, Excellent!" Happening, especially if he becomes a lockdown/ stud across from Rhodes.

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
I actually watched Hunter for the first time tonight and I liked what I saw. He's strong against the run despite a lean frame (with plenty of room to grow) and really shows a nice closing burst. He's one of the youngest players in the draft as well, turns 21 in October.

Exactly, he's still a kid. With coaching from a guy like Zimmer, i think he could be perfect for us a LDE.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: