Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cheese Bites: Green Bay Packer updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 82, 83, 84  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenGold12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
before we start getting inundated with Packer fans, this is the original comment of Luke's we're referring to. made a few days before the signing of Peppers -

LUKE232323 wrote:
I never understood people's fascination with outside FA either way. These are the players that their current team did not want, either due to them costing too much, or not being good enough. Teams that use outside FA as a core building piece are rarely the ones we see do damage in the playoffs. I'd much rather be a draft and develop team that keeps its own good players, and stays young as a roster overall, over having to plug holes with players from other teams, and most of the time having to overspend.

there's no need to start bringing up Manning's contract and such.

I was actually totally just joshing around, though I can see how with the whole rival dynamic that could have been interpreted less innocuously. Apologies!

I like what the Vikings are doing this offseason, and Joseph was one of my favorite signings! Don't expect Guion to be active on gameday if he makes the roster, if he is then something has either gone horribly wrong or terribly well.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenGold12 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
before we start getting inundated with Packer fans, this is the original comment of Luke's we're referring to. made a few days before the signing of Peppers -

LUKE232323 wrote:
I never understood people's fascination with outside FA either way. These are the players that their current team did not want, either due to them costing too much, or not being good enough. Teams that use outside FA as a core building piece are rarely the ones we see do damage in the playoffs. I'd much rather be a draft and develop team that keeps its own good players, and stays young as a roster overall, over having to plug holes with players from other teams, and most of the time having to overspend.

there's no need to start bringing up Manning's contract and such.

I was actually totally just joshing around, though I can see how with the whole rival dynamic that could have been interpreted less innocuously. Apologies!

I like what the Vikings are doing this offseason, and Joseph was one of my favorite signings! Don't expect Guion to be active on gameday if he makes the roster, if he is then something has either gone horribly wrong or terribly well.

I interpret some GB signings as potential situation players; e.g. Peppers.

Others are likely roster depth; e.g. Guion.

Every team builds this way. The draft is a chance to upgrade some of the depth pieces or find new starters. But you don't want to have too many holes to fill in the draft, to give the GM flexibility and options at each pick.
LUKE232323

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is signing Peppers to a one year deal using outside FA as a "core building piece"? I know you guys are smarter than this. I'd appreciate if my words were not taken out of context. Most of the Packers money has been spent re-signing their own. Never did I post that you should never sign any players from another team. Regarding Guion, be surprised if he makes the roster. Already 6 DL ahead of him and that's without the draft.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUKE232323 wrote:
How is signing Peppers to a one year deal using outside FA as a "core building piece"? I know you guys are smarter than this. I'd appreciate if my words were not taken out of context. Most of the Packers money has been spent re-signing their own. Never did I post that you should never sign any players from another team. Regarding Guion, be surprised if he makes the roster. Already 6 DL ahead of him and that's without the draft.

Given the Packers snake-bitten luck with injuries, I view Guions signing as injury protection. Peppers I view as an instant upgrade to your pass-rush, in the hopes that you can make it deeper into the playoffs. TT probably views him as increasing the likelihood that you will beat a team like SF once you get to the playoffs.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At TCU, Marshall Newhouse was the starting left tackle who protected Andy Dalton’s blind side for three seasons. Now Newhouse will get to protect Dalton again. The Bengals announced on Friday that ex-Packer Newhouse has signed. The signing had been expected after Newhouse visited Cincinnati on Tuesday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/21/bengals-sign-marshall-newhouse/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
At TCU, Marshall Newhouse was the starting left tackle who protected Andy Dalton’s blind side for three seasons. Now Newhouse will get to protect Dalton again. The Bengals announced on Friday that ex-Packer Newhouse has signed. The signing had been expected after Newhouse visited Cincinnati on Tuesday.

I hope for their sake that they have someone else at LT. Shocked

Newhouse is terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Newhouse is terrible.

The Bengals still have Andrew Whitworth, who is very good. I would imagine that Newhouse would be the backup at LT, or maybe get a look at LG so Whitworth can stay at LT.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Newhouse is terrible.

The Bengals still have Andrew Whitworth, who is very good. I would imagine that Newhouse would be the backup at LT, or maybe get a look at LG so Whitworth can stay at LT.

Good for Dalton, the way he phrased it "now Newhouse will protect Dalton again", I was go warn Bengals fans. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Julius Peppers would work with the linebackers in practice, but would have multiple roles in the Packers defense. By limiting his snaps (McCarthy said he’d play fewer than the 800 he played for the Bears last year) and using him as a hybrid “elephant” rusher opposite Clay Matthews, it gives them the possibility for a more dynamic rush.

McCarthy was also able to joke and say ”We’re just crushing it in free agency this year.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/25/2251587/

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many coaches in the NFL get to eight seasons, but Packers coach Mike McCarthy is hoping he’s got that many more in him. McCarthy will tie Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr for the second-longest stint in charge of the Packers after this season, and they named the stadium after the guy in first on that list. On the surface, McCarthy’s run has been outstanding. He’s made the playoffs six of eight years, won a Super Bowl, and posted an 88-50-1 record.

McCarthy: “Working in Green Bay, there’s nothing like getting up every day and going to Lambeau Field. I love the people I work with. I love where I work, and more importantly I love what I do. I feel like I’m at halftime, frankly, hopefully.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/27/mike-mccarthy-thinks-eight-years-gets-him-to-halftime/

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Packers have re-signed John Kuhn to a one-year deal.

https://twitter.com/WesHod/status/451767398417571840

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Packers president Mark Murphy the Green Bay Packers nearly managed a major step in the reconciliation with Brett Favre last year when the franchise came close to welcoming back Brett Favre to Lambeau Field. Had it not been for the success of the Oak Grove High School football team that Favre has commitments to then the exile could have been over.

Murphy: "We wanted to have him come back to a game last year, but his team kept winning and winning, so it kind of made it tough to find a time where it worked. I think relations are good, we're hopeful to have him come back soon."

http://www.givemesport.com/455429-brett-favre-was-close-to-reuniting-with-green-bay-packers-last-year?autoplay=on&undertone=off&utm_source=outbrain-rss&utm_medium=outbrain-rss&utm_campaign=outbrain-rss

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw that, lets sign Favre to a one day contract so he can retire as a Viking Laughing
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Packers are in a bind. they need to put him in their team Ring of Honor or retire his jersey or whatever ceremony they use for their big time vets BEFORE he makes it to the Hall of Fame in 2016. or will it be 2015?

because if they don't... well, that will be awkward. that a team has failed to recognize one of their best players historically, when others have.

Webmaster wrote:
since72

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
According to Packers president Mark Murphy the Green Bay Packers nearly managed a major step in the reconciliation with Brett Favre last year when the franchise came close to welcoming back Brett Favre to Lambeau Field. Had it not been for the success of the Oak Grove High School football team that Favre has commitments to then the exile could have been over.

I thought Favre only had three years of high school eligibility left.. Wink

Opposing team:

"Hey Cleavon, how come the Oak Grove quarterback is limping?"

"Doen know Billy Ray. But he got gray beard stubble too."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Page 74 of 84

Jump to: