Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

is Patterson more than a Flash in the pan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: is Patterson more than a Flash in the pan? Reply with quote

Cordarrelle Patterson didn't see much of the field until halfway through his rookie season, then showed flashes of brilliant play. his second season was a regression and he was basically benched. Coach Zimmer has stated they have off season plans for him.

will he return to become a larger offensive threat? have we already seen his best? why could Musgrave make use of him, but Turner could not?

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will all come down to how badly Patterson wants to be an NFL wide receiver. He certainly has athleticism and raw talent to spare, but it all comes down to his work ethic.

Everybody knew that Patterson was very raw coming out of Tennessee, but I don't think people thought it was this bad. His rookie year, Musgrave only asked Patterson to do a handful of things, he was a weapon more so than a true receiver, and I think that it gave a lot of people the wrong impression on where Patterson's development was at. And I think a lot of people did/do not understand the true impact that Adrian Peterson had on the field. Then Musgrave is fired, Norv Turner comes in and Patterson is not only handed his 4th playbook in 4 years, but he's now asked to do the job of a traditional receiver. Something Patterson had never been asked to do.

Patterson's lack of understanding of the position, coupled with Bridgewater's early rookie struggles made for some ugly miscommunication, and I think Patterson took the brunt of the blame, whether it was justified or not. But when the coaches come out and stated that he needs to focus more, he needs to prepare better, he needs to run the correct routes, it falls on Patterson.

Patterson has never played the victim, never publicly had the "woe is me" attitude. He's always taken the mature approach and has admitted that he needs to take things more seriously and commit to his craft. This alone makes me confident that Patterson will improve next year. Maybe not to the point of being an elite receiver, but it will be enough to give fans hope and faith that he'll only continue to get better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put patterson in a WCO or an offense that has an OC that is willing to create specifically designed plays for him and he will succeed. Turner doesn't do either. I don't have much hope for Patterson being a useful receiver and route runner in Turners offense. Jennings, Johnson and Wright all outperformed Patterson and one would likely assume that mn will be looking at another WR in the draft. I think it is inevitable that Patterson gets buried on the depth chart or is traded this offseason.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't a fan of Patterson at all when he was drafted, but his rookie season changed my tune. Now I'm back to where I started: not very confident. Can he translate his athleticism into actual WR play?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Wasn't a fan of Patterson at all when he was drafted, but his rookie season changed my tune. Now I'm back to where I started: not very confident. Can he translate his athleticism into actual WR play?

I thought he was perfect for Bill Musgraves offense. It's very simple and doesn't require being as refined as a route runner. I definitely liked the selection for the past regime but I question his ability going forward.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave up a ton to get him. Still want Arthur Brown on this team. But I digress.

He need somone to show him the way. If he has the upbeat attitude that everyone thinks he has, then he will work hard to learn the position. Either way, we know what we have in him after this season.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
Kellerman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

I thought he was perfect for Bill Musgraves offense. It's very simple and doesn't require being as refined as a route runner. I definitely liked the selection for the past regime but I question his ability going forward.

I was weary of getting another Percy at that point. Those guys have a glass ceiling, they can be really good and productive, but they'll never have the impact of a true #1 receiver. That's why I didn't really liked the pick at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:

He need somone to show him the way. If he has the upbeat attitude that everyone thinks he has, then he will work hard to learn the position. Either way, we know what we have in him after this season.

Brown has done significantly less than Patterson, which I find hard to believe. I thought he was going to be a stud. Shocked

Patterson doesn't fit this offense well, and he's already buried in a WR depth chart that will likely add another WR to the group. He could switch positions, but I seriously doubt that.

I'm okay with using him almost exclusively as a kick returner, or just trading him away. I think Oakland, Cleveland, Miami, Kansas City or Carolina would have real interest in him.

Bring back the Bridge!

Minnesota Vikings 2016 Preseason Division Champs!

incognito_man wrote:
You should really just keep this in your sig.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:

Probably will get that opportunity after he's cut this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we traded up, I was hoping for Alec Olgetree, LB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step one: learn to be more physical on the line. Step two: learn to run effective routes.

The problem with Patterson is he is raw, loves being in the NFL, and doesn't want to do what it takes to be successful in the NFL.

I side with its all in the homework. Soon as he hits the books and studies he will emerge. He has all the tools to be a pro bowl talent.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Film_snapshot_Cordarrelle_Patterson021015

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no idea how hard he works or wants it.......

There are tons of great athletes in the world that don't work out as an elite pro athlete......it isn't about "wanting it", it's a hard job.

I am going to guess he's good, but not great, this coming year.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
We have no idea how hard he works or wants it.......

There are tons of great athletes in the world that don't work out as an elite pro athlete......it isn't about "wanting it", it's a hard job.

I am going to guess he's good, but not great, this coming year.

I agree. I met him down in Hutchinson,KS when I was there Bye week last year. He seems like a genuine guy...based upon that brief interaction, I can't come to a judgment on him, but he seems to be a guy who enjoys what he does. Maybe he hasn't worked as hard as he should thus far, but I think he's smart enough to get it now.

Like others have stated, I think he's got by on his talent thus far and hasn't had to really work at it. But, now he's going to have to, and I believe he has the support system around him to help him get it done. He may never be a superstar, but I think he can be, at the very least, a good player.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Boda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
When we traded up, I was hoping for Alec Olgetree, LB

This, I was a huge fan of Olgetree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 1 of 48

Jump to: