Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Just like McNabb, they're #5 and bring pain
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Just like McNabb, they're #5 and bring pain Reply with quote

Quote:
The Minnesota Vikings are a franchise committed to family: They have pain to share for all generations. For decades, they've bonded the people of the Upper Midwest with their ability to lift you up, then throw you down like a Prince thunder jam from the banks of Lake Minnetonka. Remember when the Metrodome roof collapsed a few years back? That's what being a Vikings fan is like. Everything looks safe ... beautiful even. And then ... whoooooooooooooooosh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000500873/article/pain-rankings-no-5-the-minnesota-vikings

Thx to Lil Uno!
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just like McNabb, they're #5 and bring pain Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Quote:
The Minnesota Vikings are a franchise committed to family: They have pain to share for all generations. For decades, they've bonded the people of the Upper Midwest with their ability to lift you up, then throw you down like a Prince thunder jam from the banks of Lake Minnetonka. Remember when the Metrodome roof collapsed a few years back? That's what being a Vikings fan is like. Everything looks safe ... beautiful even. And then ... whoooooooooooooooosh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000500873/article/pain-rankings-no-5-the-minnesota-vikings

Yes, but who is better than dealing with life's disappointments than Vikings fans?? We are a most resilient fan base! "I'm fired from my job? I can deal with it...I'm a Vikings fan!" "My wife left me for the lawn boy? I can deal with it...I'm a Vikings fan!" "My kid just joined a cult and wants to be called 'Valued Member Perks'? I can deal with it...I'm a Vikings fan!!"
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done...I'm going to use that excuse to my wife the next time she asks me why I'm so calm when something goes wrong. "I can handle it...I'm a Vikings fan!"

Thx to Lil Uno!
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember: if the Metrodome roof hadn't collapsed, we might not have a new stadium being built
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading it, I was just kind of confused at which 4 teams could be above them? I could see arguments being made for the Browns, Lions, and Bills...but who could possibly be the 4th one above them?

I personally don't see the Lions as being in "pain", because they haven't largely been relevant, outside of the Barry Sanders era, in the time most of us here have even been alive.

Thx to Lil Uno!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#5, Mr Kluwe, became a pain too.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Slippin Jimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

How so?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippin Jimmy wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

How so?

oh come on...

he became a pain when he accused others of cultural insensitivity and made a crusade of it, basically, even though he openly mocked the incredibly serious child abuse situation in the Penn State debacle. and all along his defense of his actions is that it was a funny hee hee joke that he didn't remember making.

that's being a pain. to be polite.

Webmaster wrote:
Slippin Jimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Slippin Jimmy wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

How so?

oh come on...

he became a pain when he accused others of cultural insensitivity and made a crusade of it, basically, even though he openly mocked the incredibly serious child abuse situation in the Penn State debacle. and all along his defense of his actions is that it was a funny hee hee joke that he didn't remember making.

that's being a pain. to be polite.

Priefer was the origin of the pain, not Kluwe.

"I owe an apology to many people -- the Wilf family, the Minnesota Vikings organization and fans, my family, the LGBT community, Chris Kluwe and anyone else that I offended with my insensitive remark," Priefer said when he was suspended. "I regret what has occurred and what I said. I am extremely sorry but I will learn from this situation and will work on educating others to create more tolerance and respect."

Kluwe comes off as a hypocrite if he made a joke about the Penn State issue, which would be worse subject matter than Priefer's. But that tidbit only serves as a slight distraction if Kluwe's being intelectually honest about Priefer. And judging from Priefer's own words it appears Kluwe was telling the truth. In the end the pain turned into a positive outcome.

If you wanna talk about old #5's shortcomings, perhaps Donavan "Extreme DUI" McNodOffAtTheWheel is a better example.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippin Jimmy wrote:
judging from Priefer's own words it appears Kluwe was telling the truth. In the end the pain turned into a positive outcome.

yes, i agree on both counts.

but Kluwe's house was shown to be made of glass too.

Webmaster wrote:
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing Gary Anderson getting ready to make that kick still makes me nauseaus. That was, without a doubt, the lowest day in my life as a sports fan.

I can't believe the Vikings are ranked as low as #5 on this list either. IMO, it's a lot more painful to cheer for a good team all year and have them come up short than it is to have a team that is perennially lousy. For example, the Timberwolves have been a dumpster fire for over a decade and I haven't lost a minute's sleep about it. You just tune out on a team that bad. There is no team in pro sports that has been as consistently good, while consistently disappointing their fan base in the end.

We should have been #1 on this list. What a disappointment. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Detroit Lions come in at #4.

Regular season record (all-time): 528-625-32
Playoff record (all-time): 7-12
Super Bowl wins: 0
Super Bowl appearances: 0

Just 19(!) playoff appearances in their 85 year history. Zero Super Bowls. An 0-16 season. Yeah, that beats the Vikings' level of pain by a good margin.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty miserable, I'd put our four super bowl losses up against anyone other than the Bills as they lost four in a row.

Add in '98, '09, and 41-donut and I'd nearly rather have the 0-16 season.
Colorado Vike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even imagine how painful an 0-16 season would be. It would be the ultimate humiliation.
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
I can't even imagine how painful an 0-16 season would be. It would be the ultimate humiliation.

In my opinion, no pain in sports fandom is equal to being on the losing side of the ultimate championship. 0-16 means you never got close, and you likely get help in the following draft, plus likely a new coach, etc...Losing the big one means that you could taste it. You're ready to celebrate your great team...only to lose and have to watch someone else celebrate. It stinks! I, and few others on this board, no what that feels like. Losing a conference championship game doesn't even compare to losing a Super Bowl.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: