Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthCountryEvo wrote:
Virginia Viking wrote:
NorthCountryEvo wrote:
Klomp wrote:
He would've been what, 4th or 5th on depth chart here...what's the point?

Agreed. He still has some left in the tank, but other than veteran presence, I don't know how he would have been a help or upgrade to the team.

With the Lions, I suppose he could carve out a role as the #3 behind Tate and Marvin Jones. Even them they have , what, Fuller and Kerley on the roster amongst a few other decent prospects for receivers 3-5? I just don't know why he wouldn't go to a team that could be a contender.

Don't discount the importance of a veteran presence on a corps of very young players. But more then that, Boldin would be a 3rd down option who knows how to compete for both the catch and tough yards after the catch. He'd be that option on a four yard hitch pattern when 5 yards is needed for a first, and more often then not, he would get that extra yard to move the chains. He'd be perfect in a ball control, time eating offense. That's he kind of offense Turner is constructing.

Well, I don't necessarily discount that, but while our receivers are young, we do have some guys who have been around for a few years and have grown around different vets (Jennings and Wallace). I am sure they have picked up and carried some of what they have to offer. At this juncture, however, I would just prefer to take the youth that we have on the team and develop them, and only look at the need for a veteran if we were a young and untalented group. If Larry Fitzgerald was the person we were talking about, this would be a different story for me. I just think that while Boldin has some left, that he doesn't offer a ton more on the field compared to what we already have. His one intangible is his veteran presence, and I just don't think that is as needed at this juncture.

I will politely disagree...but since it's all moot at this point...I will concede that in the end your thinking corresponds with the coaching staff.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
CB Darius Slay and Detroit Lions agreed to a 4-year extension worth $50.2N with $23M fully guaranteed at signing, per source.

Xavier Rhodes' market has been set.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Quote:
CB Darius Slay and Detroit Lions agreed to a 4-year extension worth $50.2N with $23M fully guaranteed at signing, per source.

I think Rhodes signs for less.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Quote:

That's a good deal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:
Quote:

I think Rhodes signs for less.

I don't think so. All contracts are going up, and CB is a premium position (even moreso than safety). I would expect that to be about his going rate, around $12-$13M on average (which includes the bonus)

Thx to Lil Uno!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Lions receiver Anquan Boldin has worn No. 81 throughout his 13-year NFL career, but in Detroit heíll wear No. 80. Boldin said after arriving in Lions camp that he didnít even ask for No. 81 because itís the number Calvin Johnson wore before retiring this year. Although the Lions havenít retired Johnsonís jersey, Boldin didnít think anyone should wear it.

Boldin: ďFor me, itís a respect thing. I think everybody knows what Calvin Johnson means to this community, to this organization. So for me, I didnít even want to go down the road. So just out of respect, I didnít even ask about it.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/31/anquan-boldin-changes-numbers-out-of-respect-for-calvin-johnson/

Everson Griffen: ďWe can be special. But itís up to us.Ē
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite at the same level, but giving someone #81 the year after Johnson retired would be like handing out #20.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slay has been considerably better than Rhodes, especially last year.

Unless he improves this year, I hope the Vikings don't give Rhodes much more than ~$10M/yr -- similar money to what Sean Smith got from Oakland for a similar caliber player.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
New Lions receiver Anquan Boldin has worn No. 81 throughout his 13-year NFL career, but in Detroit heíll wear No. 80. Boldin said after arriving in Lions camp that he didnít even ask for No. 81 because itís the number Calvin Johnson wore before retiring this year. Although the Lions havenít retired Johnsonís jersey, Boldin didnít think anyone should wear it.

Boldin: ďFor me, itís a respect thing. I think everybody knows what Calvin Johnson means to this community, to this organization. So for me, I didnít even want to go down the road. So just out of respect, I didnít even ask about it.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/31/anquan-boldin-changes-numbers-out-of-respect-for-calvin-johnson/

Very classy move by Boldin. Applause

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
Krauser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebron was carted off the field at practice this morning. Preliminary report from Ian Rapoport on Twitter is an Achilles injury. He'd be out for the year, at least.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Ebron was carted off the field at practice this morning. Preliminary report from Ian Rapoport on Twitter is an Achilles injury. He'd be out for the year, at least.

Ouch. That's not good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions tight end Eric Ebron may not be hurt as badly as initially feared. Although Ebron did not practice Monday after he was carted off the field on Saturday, he was at the team facility, where several reporters saw him walking without crutches or a protective boot. That wouldnít be the case if he had torn his Achilles tendon, as was initially believed.

The Lions have not given an update on Ebronís status.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/08/eric-ebron-appears-to-have-avoided-major-injury/

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Pettigrew, the backup to Eric Ebron is on the PUP list.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000676421/article/lions-place-brandon-pettigrew-others-on-pup-list

their TE depth has taken quite a hit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight end Andrew Quarless wonít be able to play the first two games of the season because of a suspension, but that didnít stop him from landing a job in Detroit. The Lions announced Monday that they have signed the former Packer to their 90-man roster. Quarless was suspended under the leagueís Personal Conduct Policy as a result of a July 2015 arrest for firing a gun in public.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/15/lions-sign-andrew-quarless/

vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preseason might be a time for working out kinks and identifying players who can help you during the season, but Lions fans werenít treating Thursday nightís game against the Bengals as an exhibition.

Those who bought tickets and turned out to Ford Field let the Lions know that they found their performance lacking during a 30-14 loss. There were boos for backup quarterback Dan Orlovsky after he threw his second pick-six of the preseason and boos for a defense that offered little resistance to the Bengals offense on a night that also saw the offensive line struggle to protect Matthew Stafford.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/19/lions-hear-boos-on-thursday-night/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 37 of 40

Jump to: