Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Teddy's Wants and Needs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikings1990

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Teddy's Wants and Needs Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just got an account and activated it. First Post.

I got an alert from B/R that Teddy is advocating for a more attacking offense next year.

Just wanted your guys' thoughts on if you think Teddy is capable of running that kind of offense and what kind of things we need to add to the team via the draft or free agency to be able to fun that kind of offense!

I think Teddy has shown flashes of being able to attack the defense, but I have seen bad things as well. I think his decision-making on taking sacks need to improve over anything else, personally. He hold onto the ball way too much. But I think I have seen enough that inspires at least a little confidence in being able to run a more efficient and deadly offensive attack, if we can get the tools on offense to do so (whether that be upgrading the line or getting another WR to compliment Diggs, or both preferably.)

What do you guys think of this?
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever an "attacking offense" is, it sounds less predictable and conservative so I'm for it.
Vikings1990

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Whatever an "attacking offense" is, it sounds less predictable and conservative so I'm for it.

Sorry I should've clarified more, basically yes more aggressive with down-the-field throws from what I read. Getting tired of the 3rd and 10 dump offs for 3 yards.
NoDakViking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say we need:

A- Improved O-Line play. Teddy can't attack if he doesn't have time. The addition of Coach Sparano and one or two new starters should help Pray

And

B- A true Red Zone threat at WR. I don't think the Vikings have had a legitimate one since Moss or maybe Rice for that one year with Favre. Rudolph is a good big target but is not that elusive to wiggle into an open spot in tight spaces. I think a bigger WR like De'Runnya Wilson could help here and spread the defense out down by the goal line. This would help Rudolph and the running game. If MyCole Pruitt could develop into a decent target that would be nice too.

Some of it also falls on Teddy. As much as I support him and believe he is our QB that we've been waiting for, I think Norv would call more deep shots if Teddy could hit them more often
Sir Fobos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not concerned with Teddy's occasional decision to take a sack. When he does so it's usually because he has no avenue of escape, no viable passing lane to get the ball out of bounds, or a defender in close proximity to his throwing arm - which risks a fumble or deflected pass it he doesn't protect the ball. Frankly, his ellusiveness in the pocket is impressive, and has prevented many sacks when it looked like defenders were sure to bring him down.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they stop throwing short of the first down, over and over, that would be a great start.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bridgewater needs to do, it to take a page out of Tom Brady's playbook and hire himself a private quarterbacks coach to work with him during the offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
What Bridgewater needs to do, it to take a page out of Tom Brady's playbook and hire himself a private quarterbacks coach to work with him during the offseason.

i remember he was asked early this year about his offseason work and he said something along the lines of sticking with what the turner's have taught him since they want him to do specific things and another QB coach might want him to change it.

obviously that was last offseason and might change going into this offeason but yeah. i paraphrased teddy there so don't take it too literally.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:

Norv's scheme is actually an attacking offense...moreso than the WCO, which is the modern traditional dink and dunk. It's just that due mainly to offensive line failures as well as Teddy's hesitation, they had to do more of the dink and dunk.

Thx to Lil Uno!
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridgewater's quote:
Quote:
“For the most part I try not to get with those guys – try not to get with the passing coaches,” he said. “Because I know what our coaches want me to do so they just continue to communicate with me and we discuss my progress and go from there.

“I’m trying to continue to do what will make me better in this offense. And I talk with coach (Scott) Turner constantly, on a daily basis, and he’s telling me to be quicker and things like that. And I know that sometimes you get with those passing coaches and they try to change your passing techniques, but they don’t know our system. So I just continue to do the things that are within our system and it’s been helping me this far.”

The problem with that is simply that the NFL doesn't allow Bridgewater and the Turner's any contact during the offseason. They can talk on the phone, but without an actual coach helping you work through things, how are you going to change or improve it?

Bridgewater's delivery and mechanics were worse this year than his rookie year, and it led to accuracy issues down the field. I have no doubt that a large part of that was due to him not working with any type of coach during the offseason.

Now that Bridgewater, likely, has a good grasp on the playbook, he needs to focus on his mechanics and delivery.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, Teddy, would like Alshon Jeffreyto replace Wallace, and I'd like a new Right Tackle so Clemmings can move inside.

Then I'd just like to fast-forward to the playoffs.

I love the Vikings, win or lose.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people automatically assume that adding Jeffrey, or any wide receiver, would result in anything different than what we saw with Wallace? Wallace had no trouble getting open or getting separation, Bridgewater simply kept over throwing him, or flat out failed to see him. How is that going to change with someone else?

The Vikings could have Julio Jones, A.J. Green, and Dez Bryant as their top 3 receivers, but until Bridgewater fixes his mechanical issues, no wide receiver is going to help the downfield passing game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe Norv could convince Brad Johnson to work with him, Brad had some success under Norv in Washington so he should have an understanding of the system and what Norv asks.

I think Teddy would benefit greatly from some hands on work over the off season and not just communication with the coaches. It is always nice to hear the guys getting together and playing catch but I don't think it helps as much as hands on work with mechanics.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWG VIKE wrote:
So maybe Norv could convince Brad Johnson to work with him, Brad had some success under Norv in Washington so he should have an understanding of the system and what Norv asks.

I think Teddy would benefit greatly from some hands on work over the off season and not just communication with the coaches. It is always nice to hear the guys getting together and playing catch but I don't think it helps as much as hands on work with mechanics.

Exactly. If the coaches can line up Michael Irvin to work with Patterson, I'm sure they have someone that they would approve of to work with Bridgewater.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Wallace had no trouble getting open or getting separation

Yes he did. Wallace didn't win against man coverage very often.

He didn't make a single difficult or contested catch all year, that I can remember. Had a few passes that were in range (SF game in the end zone, Giants game in the end zone, 1st Packers game in the 4th quarter) but didn't come down with any of them. He also had several drops (on shorter passes).

It's true that Teddy missed some wide open downfield targets, and he needs to do better. His mechanics are part of the problem. He also needs better protection from the OL to allow those deep routes to come open.

But Wallace is no AJ Green. And a receiver that good can make any QB look better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: