Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2015 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting CB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How will the Vikings fill the starting CB position opposite Rhodes?
Draft the Starter
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
Sign a Free Agent
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Quit Joshing around, Robinson is the answer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Promote someone from within (Price, Prater)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 33

disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: 2015 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting CB Reply with quote

Here's another position we attempted to guess that the Vikings would try to address last offseason.

With Xavier's clear progression under Zimmer and the potential to be the first Vikings' shutdown corner many of us have ever seen, it still begs the question on who will play opposite him. Josh Robinson rebounded, but still may not be the long-term answer. Captain Munnerlyn was underwhelming in his first season here and is more of a slot guy anyway.

So, what say you on how the Vikings should address this position?

Potential free agents include: Kareem Jackson (Hou), Tramon Williams (GB), Darrelle Revis (NE), Antonio Cromartie (Ariz), Chris Culliver (SF), Buster Skrine (Cle), Byron Maxwell (Sea)

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft in the mid rounds.

Personally I don't see cornerback as that high of a need for this team. The Vikings had the 7th ranked pass defense with Rhodes, Munnerlyn, and Robinson at cornerback, another year in the system should only make them better.

I'd rather focus on the front 7 and fix the porous run defense.
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel we need insurance for Munnerlyn because he was more of a weakness than Robinson. I also expect Zimmer to continue matching Rhodes up on the other teams #1 which will allow Robinson to take the supposed weaker match-up.

I expect them to add a player or two in the draft. Find some clay for Zimmer to coach up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no faith in Robinson or Munnerlyn as full time starters. I believe that Zimmers been holding back a bit because he doesn't have a stud man CB opposite of Rhodes. Give Zimmer another first rd caliber CB, I think the defense will take off significantly.

Teams showed last year that Robinson and Munnerlyn can be picked on in crucial moments, and the plan all along was for Munnerlyn to be the nickel but Robinson failed to take the starting job from him.

I believe Cb will be highly valued this offseason. I like a couple of free agents in Maxwell and Culliver, but I could see this being a need that is drafted since they just signed Munnerlyn in FA.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I have no faith in Robinson or Munnerlyn as full time starters. I believe that Zimmers been holding back a bit because he doesn't have a stud man CB opposite of Rhodes. Give Zimmer another first rd caliber CB, I think the defense will take off significantly.

Teams showed last year that Robinson and Munnerlyn can be picked on in crucial moments, and the plan all along was for Munnerlyn to be the nickel but Robinson failed to take the starting job from him.

I believe Cb will be highly valued this offseason. I like a couple of free agents in Maxwell and Culliver, but I could see this being a need that is drafted since they just signed Munnerlyn in FA.

I completely agree with this. I've said for a while that I see CB in the 1st if Zimmer gets his way.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to draft a CB then sign a CB FA.
So I'm good with drafting a CB with our 1st pick.

If we strike out in FA for an on OG, then go OG with late R1 (via trade)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked sign a FA CB. I would absolutely love to add Revis(if he opts out) or Cromartie.

Right now I just don't view any CB worthy of the 11th pick in the draft, if Peters didn't have so many problems I'd be fine with him. I'd still love to add Peters but preferably in the 2nd round.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boda wrote:
Right now I just don't view any CB worthy of the 11th pick in the draft

Who said we have to stay at 11? This is Rick Spielman we're talking about.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culliver is really the only corner that intrigues me that fits the Spielman mold.

If it's not him, picking one on the top three rounds could be a necessity.
Krauser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting CB in the top 40-50 would make a lot of sense. The position's not a huge need, with Munnerlyn and Robinson, and there's a chance that Robinson will continue to improve and play at the level of a solid #2 this year.

But even if he does, I doubt he'll get a long term extension from the Vikings since his skill set isn't a great fit for what Zimmer wants to do in the secondary. And they don't have anyone behind him on the depth chart who projects to being a long term starter at outside CB.

So bringing in a guy with talent and decent size in 2015, with the plan to develop him as the starter in 2016 would be my choice.

For FA CB, I'd only want them to sign someone who's an elite talent, Revis or whatever. I don't see a big advantage to bringing in a "solid starter" level FA for a long term deal. Their current options are already near that level, they need to significantly upgrade the position not just take a small step.
Boda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Boda wrote:
Right now I just don't view any CB worthy of the 11th pick in the draft

Who said we have to stay at 11? This is Rick Spielman we're talking about.

No one but right now that is our draft spot.
kparty69

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care for the free agent CB's. There are maybe 1 or 2 that intrigue me, but they will probably get overpaid. I think we could get a good CB in the middle to end of the second. I like Alex Carter out of Stanford. Josh Shaw from USC could be a good late round guy.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I love about this team, is that they can go a lot of ways with their first pick. I hope that they do draft a corner early. I want another big physical corner and then kick Munnerlyn inside and have Robinson be the number 4.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said that we should draft a starting CB, however, I'm not sure that needs to be done this year, I'd prefer to draft a starting S this year than CB.

Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It more or less has to be done this year (drafting a CB) if you see that guy as the starter in 2016. Most rookies aren't ready to start at that position in their first year. They lose Robinson after this year unless they extend him long term.

Blanton and Sendejo were half decent at SS this year, and they also have Exum waiting in the wings. They can draft another guy in the mid to late rounds and give it another year to see how much of a need they really have at that position long term.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: