Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

the desire to play for the Vikings is...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: the desire to play for the Vikings is... Reply with quote

Michael Griffen: “One of the [Viking] coaches, I’m not going to say names, but he said in the past nobody wanted to come to Minnesota. But right now this is one of the hot spots that players want to come and play for a team that made it to the playoffs last year, won the division and is a good young group that is coming along with veteran leadership. There was a time when you looked at Minnesota, when things weren’t going so well. They were trying to figure out who the quarterback was going to be and things like that and, as a player, you look around and you look at teams and you would be like, ‘Where do I want to go?’ But you look at this team right now when you’re a free agent, there are teams that you would be like, ‘I want to go to that team,’ and this team right here is one that you want to go to. You see this as a good football team. From the outside looking in, this is the ideal spot to come play if you’re a free agent. If you have an opportunity to come to Minnesota, I feel like this is a place you want to come.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/07/zulgad-desirable-destination-michael-griffin-happy-to-get-opportunity-with-vikings/

consistent front office management... Zimmer as coach... new stadium... new practice facilities being built...

have the Vikings turned the corner in attracting free agent hirings?

"Glove the one you're with."
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Management, coaching and facilities have improved significantly. The Vikings have a top tier organization and that will make it more attractive to free agents, however, there are things that are out of their control such as geography and taxes compared to a places like Texas or Florida. It's definitely better than what it used to be under Chilly and Frazier. As the Vikings start paying their successful 2013 and 2014 draft classes, it may be more difficult to pay top dollar where good coaching and management might be more tempting than the best offer.

Previously, the Vikings had to offer the biggest contract on the market to be competitive (see Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings), this might not have to be the case anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember in the early 2000's we were worried that free agents wouldn't want to come here because we were TOO good and TOO deep?

That's a nice problem to have.

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have a pretty enticing setup right now. If this team makes it to the playoffs again, I would have to imagine that as far as the organization goes, we will be pretty enticing to free agents. One of the big turn offs was the playing conditions for half of the year: in the old dump known as the metrodome, and then playing outside. Now we have a premier facility that is indoors, which alone could be a big selling point. As mentioned earlier, you are going to have people making choices for geographic and tax purposes, but those also are the guys seeking money and something other than a championship, generally, or at least they are in my opinion.

Last year could be seen as a fluke. If we get to the playoffs again, that can start to solidify our strength as a team and a group that can make a championship run.

I still don't think the team is going to turn into the "dole out big money every year to big name players" type of team, but we will have holes forming over the next 1-3 years that we don't currently have solidified answers for, and we probably can attract some solid starters to fill those gaps.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, and I looked and behold, a Pale Horse...

And his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

NSDQ
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The desire to play for the Vikings is primarily based on the availability of lutefisk sammiches at the concession stands. They've built some of those into the new stadium, right? Right? Bueller? Right? ....Uh oh!
paradise lost

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say it's at an all-time medium.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: