Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre Senior Bowl/Combine Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikingfan#84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Pre Senior Bowl/Combine Mock Offseason Reply with quote

For my mock I decided to try go with a blend of what I would like to happen, what I think will happen as well as trying to keep it as realistic as possible. Im sure a bunch of you will hate it, but its all for fun.
Pre Warning I dont feel WR is a huge need if we bring back Wallace at a reduced salary (which I have happening). Wallace, Diggs and Wright at WR and Rudolph at TE is a pretty solid receivers corps IMO.

Retired:
LB Chad Greenway

Cuts:
QB Shaun Hill
Cap Savings = $3.25 Million

Restructure:
WR Mike Wallace (2yrs 12 Million)
Cap Savings = $5.5 Million

Extensions:
S Harrison Smith (5yrs 45 Million)
Additional Cap Hit = $4 Million

Resign:
TE Rhett Ellison (2yrs 4 Million)
CB Marcus Sherels (2yrs 3 Million)
WR Adam Thielen (1yr 1 Million)
RB Matt Asiata (1yr 1 Million)
S Andrew Sendejo (1yr 1 Million)
LB Audie Cole (1yr 1 Million)
FB Zach Line (1r 1 Million)
G Mike Harris (2 yrs 4 Million)
LB Brandon Watts (1 yr 1Million)
S Terrance Newman (1 yr 2.5 Million)
T Carter Bykowski (1 yr $800,000)

Let Go:
CB Josh Robinson
S Robert Blanton
DE Justin Trattou
LB Casey Matthews
LB Jason Trusnik
DT Shamar Stephen
CB Jabari Price
P Jeff Locke
WR Charles Johnson
DT Kenrik Ellis

Free Agents:
LB Danny Trevathan (3yrs $12M)- The Vikings desperately need a 3rd Linebacker to take over for Chad Greenway after his retirement. With Spielman and Zimmer not believing they have that replacement on the roster they go out a get another player coming off his rookie contract. Trevathan has been a productive starter for the Broncos for 3 years and has a nice blend of athleticism and physicality to be an instant upgrade over Greenway at WLB.

WR Brian Quick (2yrs $4M) Spielman decides to take a flier on the former 2nd rounder Quick. Quick was a disappointment in St. Louis but Spielman and company feel he has the potential to become a vertical threat on the perimeter. Low risk high reward signing.

Draft:
Trade 1st (23rd) for 1st (29th) + 3rd (93rd) round draft picks
1 (29th). G/T Cody Whitehair, Kansas State (64 305 lbs) Its no surprise to anyone who watches the Vikings that the O-line is the biggest need that we have. Whitehair is the best G in the draft IMO and has the potential to be a Pro-Bowl caliber G for the next decade. I also feel that if needed Whitehair could be played at RT and be a very serviceable player there. Whitehair wont wow you away with his frame (64 305) or strength and athleticism, rather Whitehair wins his battles using excellent technique and balance as well as having a great understanding of taking the correct angle to make blocks at the 1st and 2nd levels of the defense. I believe he can be plugged in right away at RG and help solidify the Vikings leaky O-Line.

2 (54th). DT Vernon Butler, Louisiana Tech (63 316 lbs) I bit of an underrated player, Butler is loaded with potential to be a game wrecker in the middle of the D-Line. Butler has excellent length and frame for the position (63 316), good athleticism and production, and plays with a mean streak. Playing at a lower level school/conference Butler doesnt get the recognition that he deserves. The Vikings have little depth at the DT position behind Floyd and Joseph, which was seen this year when both were injured. IMO Butler can play both the NT and UT positions if needed and can spend the first year or two developing behind Floyd and Joseph while subbing in certain packages and to help give Floyd and Joseph some breathers.

3 (86th). CB Artie Burns, Miami (60 197 lbs) Zimmer decides to spend another 3rd round pick (Danielle Hunter) on a player who is absolutely loaded with athletic ability and potential, but is raw in technique. Burns has speed and length for days, has shown good instincts in coverage and while not a good tackler, has shown a willingness to get dirty and help in run support. I think Zimmer is the perfect person for Burns to learn from and I believe that with a couple years of tutelage from Zimmer, Burns can be an excellent CB for years to come. Pairing him with Rhodes and Waynes the Vikings could have a trio of excellent young CBs.

3 (92nd). C Evan Boehm, Missouri (63 310 lbs)- Some may view this as too high for Boehm, but I believe if you like a player enough and view him as a potential starter then there is no thing as taking a player too high, Boehms a top 100 player in my rankings. Boehm has excellent strength and size for the position (63 310) and has shown a good ability of getting to the 2nd level to make blocks. A 4 year starter Boehm has been a rock on the Missouri O-Line as the staring C for the past 3 years (started at G his freshman year) and can sit a develop behind Sullivan for a year or two before he steps in as a starter. If Sullivan cant return from his injury I feel Boehm could step in and start right away and be a solid player.

4 (122nd). DE Alex McCalister, Florida (66 240 lbs) A bit of a risk reward pick here as McCalister is oozing with potential. He has excellent size, length and athleticism to be an excellent pass rusher, but he is raw and most importantly has a shaky background off the field. He was suspended and kicked off the Florida team before their bowl game this year, which lead to him declaring early for the draft. However I feel Zimmer and this Vikings team, with leaders on the D-Line such as Griffen (who has had previous off the field problems) and Robison, is the perfect environment for him to sit and learn for a couple years and help keep him out of trouble off the field. McCalister and Hunter could give us a deadly DE combo in a couple years.

5 (160th). QB Jacoby Brissett, NC State (64 231 lbs) Brissett is a polarizing prospect as some people love him and view him as a potential starter and early day 2/3 pick while others see him as nothing more than a 7th round/UDFA prospect. Brissett as good size and a solid arm. I think that Brissett has all the tools to be a solid backup and can come and give you a few solid games incase of an injury to Teddy. Brissett has always taken great care of the ball, which is something we value greatly in our QB.

6 (184th). DT Javon Hargrave, South Carolina State (62 295 lbs) Another sleeper prospect, Hargrave has torn up his competition at the FCS level (29 sacks and 44 TFL the past 2 years) and impressed scouts at the East-West Bowl practices. Hargrave can provide depth at the UT position and develop for a year allowing him to take over for Tom Johnson in a year or two.

7 (238th). P Drew Kaser Texas A&M (63 215 lbs) Best punter in the draft IMO. Big time leg with many punts of 50+ yards, however he can outkick his coverage, which can lead to large returns. Well worth the risk however as I feel its time to move on from Locke.

7 (242nd). CB Duke Thomas, Texas (511 185 lbs) Take a flier on a CB who has shown good ability against the run and is a 3-year starter at Texas. Will have to make the team based on his special teams contributions.

Depth Chart:

Offense:
QB: 1.Teddy Bridgewater 2. Jacoby Brissett
RB: 1. Adrian Peterson 2. Jerrick McKinnon 3. Matt Asiata
FB: 1. Zach Line
WR1: 1. Mike Wallace 2. Jairus Wright 3. Cordarelle Patterson
WR2: 1. Stefon Diggs 2. Brian Quick 3. Adam Thielen
TE: 1. Kyle Rudolph 2. Rhett Ellison 3. MyCole Pruitt
LT: 1. Matt Kalil 2. Carter Bykowski
LG: 1. Brandon Fusco 2. Joe Berger
C: 1. John Sullivan 2. Evan Boehm
RG: 1. Cody Whitehair 2. Mike Harris
RT: 1. Phil Loadholt 2. T.J Clemmings

Defense:
RE: 1. Everson Griffen 2. Alex McCalister
UT: 1. Shariff Floyd 2. Tom Johnson DT Javon Hargrave
NT: 1. Linval Joseph 2. Vernon Butler
LE: 1. Brian Robison 2. Danielle Hunter 3. Scott Crichton
WLB: 1. Danny Trevathan 2. Brandon Watts
MLB: 1. Eric Kendricks 2. Audie Cole
SLB: 1. Anthony Barr 2. Edmond Robinson
CB1: 1. Xavier Rhodes 2. Captain Munnerlyn 3. Marcus Sherels
CB2: 1. Trae Waynes 2. Artie Burns
FS: 1. Terrance Newman 2. Andrew Sendejo
SS: 1. Harrison Smith 2. Anthony Harris
Special Teams:
K: 1. Blair Walsh
P: 1. Drew Kaser
LS: 1. Kevin McDermott

Practice Squad:
CB Duke Thomas
QB Taylor Heinicke
C Zac Kerin
DE Zach Moore
C Nick Easton
CB Melvin White
DT Toby Johnson
WR Isaac Fruechte
FB Blake Renaud
LB Terrance Plumber

Thoughts?

Last edited by Vikingfan#84 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a nit-pick, but Greenway wouldn't free up any cap space if he retired. He's currently set to be a free agent in March.

If you're going to draft a project quarterback, it makes sense to keep Shaun Hill, because you don't want the project to have to play... at all... early in his career.
Vikingfan#84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Just a nit-pick, but Greenway wouldn't free up any cap space if he retired. He's currently set to be a free agent in March.

If you're going to draft a project quarterback, it makes sense to keep Shaun Hill, because you don't want the project to have to play... at all... early in his career.

True about Brissett, but do you really think Shaun Hill is going to win us any games? He didn't look effective at all in his limited snaps vs. St. Louis and is incredibly immobile at this stage in his career.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'd be more capable of keeping us in a game than Brissett. In your scenario, Hill's real value is being able to bring Jacoby along slowly without the need to put him into a game should Teddy get injured. If not Hill, some other veteran backup.

If it were me, I'd replace one of your 10 lineman, probably Bykowski, with a vet QB. Keeping 10 offensive lineman on the 53 man roster is something teams just don't really do. The Vikings carried 9 this year.

Kalil
Fusco
Berger
Harris
Clemmings
Shepherd
Kerin
Easton
Sirles
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time seeing Brian Robison start over Danielle Hunter next year.

given a full offseason, with already a good amount of experience behind him, I think he wins the job. Robison plays as the 3rd DE/3rd down DE.

since I'm at it, does Zimmer play his Defensive Ends at Defensive Tackle on 3rd down? I know Frazier did it quite often and we had success with it, but I can't remember if Zim does it. I do recall Tom Johnson coming in for Linval Joseph at times the past 2 years.

Live Free. Think Free. Love Free
Vikingfan#84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I think he'd be more capable of keeping us in a game than Brissett. In your scenario, Hill's real value is being able to bring Jacoby along slowly without the need to put him into a game should Teddy get injured. If not Hill, some other veteran backup.

If it were me, I'd replace one of your 10 lineman, probably Bykowski, with a vet QB. Keeping 10 offensive lineman on the 53 man roster is something teams just don't really do. The Vikings carried 9 this year.

Kalil
Fusco
Berger
Harris
Clemmings
Shepherd
Kerin
Easton
Sirles

Very valid points. Personally I don't feel either one of them will be able to consistently lead us to wins if either has start for an extended period of time so I decided to go with the younger a cheaper route.
I have no problem keeping Hill as backup I just wasn't sure I could afford to pay him $3.25 Million while extending Harrison and signing 2 FA. I didn't look into the cap closely enough.

Besides the Hill discussion, what are your thoughts on the FA and draft?
Vikingfan#84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I have a hard time seeing Brian Robison start over Danielle Hunter next year.

given a full offseason, with already a good amount of experience behind him, I think he wins the job. Robison plays as the 3rd DE/3rd down DE.

since I'm at it, does Zimmer play his Defensive Ends at Defensive Tackle on 3rd down? I know Frazier did it quite often and we had success with it, but I can't remember if Zim does it. I do recall Tom Johnson coming in for Linval Joseph at times the past 2 years.

I could be wrong but I believe Robison moved to DT on 3rd and longs near the end of the season and Hunter went to LE. This might have been done out of necessity due to injuries to Joseph and Floyd though
Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your thinking on the mock. We obviously need OG help immediately, and drafting a developmental QB with some athleticism is also something I think we need to do. Shaun Hill offers nothing but experience, which means little. The athletic QB is the wave of the future, folks.
Boda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Mock offseason which would result in a broken TV.

DT in the 2nd round is just way way way too early especially for a 4th DT which wouldn't see much action at all. We can get a good NT type DT in the 4th or later, no reason to waste an asset on a DT that will have a very hard time seeing the field unless an injury were to happen.

We absolutely need to draft a WR in this class even if you wait until the 7th round we simply need one and taking a 2nd DT that I'd say there is a 99% chance he doesn't even make the team. Brian Quick does NOT bring the type of skill set we need and I'd rather just have the team give the reps to Thielen and cutting CJ for Quick makes absolutely no sense at all. I also still believe it takes a WR 3 yrs to develop so adding one should be a high priority.

Overall Draft Grade - F

If this was our actual offseason I think we take a big step backwards. We have no realiable QB and no a rookie project is not going to step in and give us a better chance than Hill and I absolutely hate Shaun Hill.

Why are you cutting Stephen? Who has looked good when he was in just to replace him with a 6th round project?

Also Greenway isn't retiring, he's already stated so.

I'm not trying to be debbie downer but there just isn't much to like about this offseason atleast IMO. It leaves me scratching my head more than
anything.

Edit:
Also just seen that you said the Vikings have little depth behind Joesph & Floyd which also is not even close to being true. We have Tom Johnson who has been good enough to start on a lot of teams and Stephen who as I mentioned earlier has been good when he was in, what this team needs is a NT type DT to give Joesph some rest but one thing is for sure our DT depth is good outside of that backup NT
Vikingfan#84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boda wrote:
Another Mock offseason which would result in a broken TV.

DT in the 2nd round is just way way way too early especially for a 4th DT which wouldn't see much action at all. We can get a good NT type DT in the 4th or later, no reason to waste an asset on a DT that will have a very hard time seeing the field unless an injury were to happen.

We absolutely need to draft a WR in this class even if you wait until the 7th round we simply need one and taking a 2nd DT that I'd say there is a 99% chance he doesn't even make the team. Brian Quick does NOT bring the type of skill set we need and I'd rather just have the team give the reps to Thielen and cutting CJ for Quick makes absolutely no sense at all. I also still believe it takes a WR 3 yrs to develop so adding one should be a high priority.

Overall Draft Grade - F

If this was our actual offseason I think we take a big step backwards. We have no realiable QB and no a rookie project is not going to step in and give us a better chance than Hill and I absolutely hate Shaun Hill.

Why are you cutting Stephen? Who has looked good when he was in just to replace him with a 6th round project?

Also Greenway isn't retiring, he's already stated so.

I'm not trying to be debbie downer but there just isn't much to like about this offseason atleast IMO. It leaves me scratching my head more than
anything.

Edit:
Also just seen that you said the Vikings have little depth behind Joesph & Floyd which also is not even close to being true. We have Tom Johnson who has been good enough to start on a lot of teams and Stephen who as I mentioned earlier has been good when he was in, what this team needs is a NT type DT to give Joesph some rest but one thing is for sure our DT depth is good outside of that backup NT

A) Don't care if Greenway retires or not his contract is up. We don't need him back
B) Charles Johnson is not good folks. Can't even make the 45 man roster over Cordarrelle and hasn't improved in his 2 years here.
C) Shemar Stephan is absolutely average at best. We have nothing at backup NT.
D) Tom Johnson will be 32 next season. He won't be productive much longer. Plus do you really want to lock up Floyd to a large contract in a couple years. He can't stay healthy for 16 games and has only shown average production
E) With a 6th or 7th round pick your basically always taking projects or practice squad players. Hargrave has more potential than most others drafted in that range.
F) I never understood how people can get upset about draft picks, FA signings etc. We know nothing about what the team thinks about the players their drafting/signing and how they feel about the players currently on their roster. Just a pet peeve of mine. Makes me chuckle a little when people get worked up about that kind of stuff.

All of this is IMO of course

Also I respect your criticism/opinions I just don't necessarily agree with all of them. Don't won't to make it look like I'm being an a** haha

Last edited by Vikingfan#84 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I am really a fan of this direction, I am ok with a lot of the in house moves like the returning free agents and ones let go but I do think it is wise to keep Hill as his cap hit is a non issue and I say Greenway plays one more year. I agree there is a good chance Wallace is here another year as much as I would like to chop him and 6 Million/year seems about right, I really hope he refuses a pay cut and forces a release.

The free agency and draft is the most I am not a fan off, I would prefer going after one the two Zimmer is familiar with if we pursue a linebacker and would rather a rookie WR over Quick.I don't see a reason to draft 2 DTs or a reason to get rid of Stephen for that matter, Johnson and Stephen make good back ups but I could see a late round developmental taken so I do like Javon Hargrave. I see our center situation shaking out with Berger starting and Easton backing him up so no need to over draft on Boehm but for the record I do like him I just think Easton is the future.

Drew Kaser is my punter of choice as well and I'm perfectly fine with using a 7th on him.
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikingfan#84 wrote:
A) Don't care if Greenway retires or not his contract is up. We don't need him back
B) Charles Johnson is not good folks. Can't even make the 45 man roster over Cordarrelle and hasn't improved in his 2 years here.
C) Shemar Stephan is absolutely average at best. We have nothing at backup NT.
D) Tom Johnson will be 32 next season. He won't be productive much longer. Plus do you really want to lock up Floyd to a large contract in a couple years. He can't stay healthy for 16 games and has only shown average production
E) With a 6th or 7th round pick your basically always taking projects or practice squad players. Hargrave has more potential than most others drafted in that range.
F) I never understood how people can get upset about draft picks, FA signings etc. We know nothing about what the team thinks about the players their drafting/signing and how they feel about the players currently on their roster. Just a pet peeve of mine. Makes me chuckle a little when people get worked up about that kind of stuff.

All of this is IMO of course

A) Greenway is still reliable to this team
B) Charles Johnson has plenty of talent
C) Shemar Stephan has shown plenty of promise and if my back up is average thats fine
D) Tom Johnson has low miles on the tires
E) True
F) No one is worked up, discussing others opinions is why we post here but we do know a little about how the team thinks and feel about future and current personnel.
Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get all the Shaun Hill love. You don't think a rookie could step in and do better than Shaun Hill? Seriously? Half of them could probably play better than our starter has been playing. We need a developmental guy who may give us something if Teddy doesn't pan out.

And yes, we do need to draft a WR, not a DT.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodysuit Man wrote:
I don't get all the Shaun Hill love. You don't think a rookie could step in and do better than Shaun Hill? Seriously? Half of them could probably play better than our starter has been playing. We need a developmental guy who may give us something if Teddy doesn't pan out.

And yes, we do need to draft a WR, not a DT.

No, I don't think a late round rookie would be better than a player who's been around for a long time. No matter what physical limitations he may have now. It's also not Shaun Hill "love." It's being realistic.
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodysuit Man wrote:

We have Taylor Heinicke as our developmental guy, he had about as good a pre season as you could ask from a developmental QB. I am far from a Shaun Hill fan but either way I want a back up with NFL snaps behind Teddy in the event of a minor injury.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: