Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Windy City News: Chicago Bear updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people care if he is arrogant? Just curious.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Why do people care if he is arrogant? Just curious.

well, it could mean he doesn't listen to coaches. or calls his own plays. or doesn't take responsibilities for his actions.

those would be warning signs of arrogance that could hurt team morale somehow.

i don't have a strong opinion on Cutler, just throwing that out for a possible answer to your question.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears also resigned Tim Jennings and Matt Slausen.
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a good deal for Chicago. #2 scoring offense in the league under Trestman in his first season. Just have to imagine that the bears do everything the can to get younger and better on Defense. They are my pick to win the division next year.

Cutler, Marshall, Jeffrey, Forte, and Bennett is probably the 2nd best group of skill position players in the league. They also have the cap space to improve the defense. On top of that, I think the deal is only guaranteed for 3 years? If so, that is another job we'll done by Emery. They know what they are doing in Chicago now.

I think Cutler is far more mature than his bad reputation suggests, and has definitely grown up over the last two seasons.

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
I don't get the distaste for Cutler.....

In 8 years as an NFL QB Cutler has never had a single season with a passer rating above 90.

He simply turns the ball over too much to be better than average statistically, or to lead his team deep into the playoffs.

It was interesting to hear Jimmy Johnson on Fox last week saying the Bears should just let Cutler go and draft another QB.

Neutral

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Krauser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

In 8 years as an NFL QB Cutler has never had a single season with a passer rating above 90.

He simply turns the ball over too much to be better than average statistically, or to lead his team deep into the playoffs.

It was interesting to hear Jimmy Johnson on Fox last week saying the Bears should just let Cutler go and draft another QB.

Neutral

This guy calls it Quarterback Purgatory: http://nflphilosophy.com/qb-purgatory/ -- better than Quarterback Hell but not good enough to get you into Quarterback Heaven.

Tagline: Bill Walsh once described Steve Deberg as, “Just good enough to get you beat.” He understood QB purgatory.

FWIW I think Cutler's good enough to put together a Flacco-like stretch playing at the top of his abilities and win it all. They have the weapons on offense to be successful even if he's never going to be great, and Trestman should be a good coach for them going forward. But paying a QB $15M+ per year for a QB rating of 90 makes it hard to build the rest of the team, and they'll need to find a way to put together a solid defense within the next couple of years to have a chance. The fact that they gave 30 year old Tim Jennings $5M per year suggests they know the window is closing and they're going to go all in right now.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

Neutral

With a quick look at all of his 2013 stats, and consideration of missing 5 games, I adjusted his 2013 TD and INT stats by a factor of 1.5 to project to a full year. Sure, it's 16/11, but high precision isn't needed to make my point...

Cutlers 19 TDs and 12 INTs for 11 games roughly projects to 29 and 18 for 16 games. That's good compared to his prior years...

http://www.nfl.com/player/jaycutler/2495824/profile

His 2013 passer rating was 89.2, the best of his career, by a slim margin.
Completion pct of 63.1% was 2nd best by very little (63.6% in 2007).

So, perhaps Cutler can improve further under the tutelage of Trestman?

Just a thought to consider.

More stats could be tossed around to see that the improvement was insignificant in 2013. But I wouldn't expect Trestman to help him as much in his first year of being a HC as he can in the next few years, and Cutler only played 11 games in 2013.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears have filled the two openings on their defensive coaching staff. As expected, the team announced Thursday that they have hired Reggie Herring as their linebackers coach and Paul Pasqualoni as their defensive line coach. The addition of Herring, who was most recently the Texans’ linebackers coach, was reported on Wednesday while Pasqualoni has been linked with a job on Marc Trestman’s staff for some time.

Pasqualoni was fired in September as the head coach of the University of Connecticut, where he compiled a 10-18 record over parts of three seasons. Pasqualoni also spent 14 years as Syracuse’s head coach, going 107-59-1, and spent time with the Cowboys and Dolphins between his two collegiate head coaching stints.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/23/bears-hire-paul-pasqualoni-as-defensive-line-coach/

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton says that he feels about 80-90 percent recovered from torn ACL he suffered last September and has progressed to sprinting during his rehab work at Halas Hall, but he has no idea if he’ll keep working out at the Bears’ facility once free agency opens in March.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Bears have yet to make a contract offer to Melton and are not expected to use the franchise tag on him for the second straight season, which suggests he’ll be talking to other teams when the 72-hour window for negotiations opens on March 8. Players cannot sign with new teams until March 11 and Melton has little inkling of what will happen when that date rolls around.

Melton: “I honestly have no clue. I’ve had positive conversations. It’s kind of like the draft. You have positive conversations with a lot of teams. They like you but you’re definitely not sure until it happens.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/19/henry-melton-has-no-clue-if-hell-return-to-bears/

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record-setting returner Devin Hester said Wednesday he will not be back with the Chicago Bears next season.

Hester: "From my knowledge, I know that Chicago wants to go a different route with me. All I can say is thanks to the fans for their support. They've always been great to me. Always been loyal. I couldn't have played for a better city than those guys. At the end of my career, I do want to retire as a member of the Bears."

http://pro32.ap.org/article/hester-says-bears-parting-ways-him

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year after the Bears signed tight end Martellus Bennett, the team reportedly is in “strong pursuit” of Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. Two team officials told Briggs that the team expects to sign Bennett once the free agency period opens on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET.

It’s also possible that the acquisition of Bennett via a market deal will conclude defensive end Julius Peppers‘ run with the Bears. Signed on the first day of free agency four years ago, Peppers has an $18.1 million cap number and a $13.9 million salary. If the Bears keep him at that number, they’ll have more than $40 million in 2014 cap space tied up in two players — Peppers and quarterback Jay Cutler, whose cap number is $22.5 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/09/report-bears-expect-to-sign-michael-bennett/

Webmaster wrote:
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Wants to play with his brother Martellus.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears calling around the league, seeing if they can find a trade partner for DE Julius Peppers, per sources. Trade unlikely...

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to ChicagoBears.com, the club has reached a two-year deal with Giants safety Ryan Mundy. Mundy, 29, notched 77 tackles in 16 games (nine starts) for the Giants in 2013. He started the first seven games at free safety for New York but was replaced later in the season by Will Hill. Mundy joined the Giants in 2013 after four seasons with Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/11/bears-safety-ryan-mundy-reach-two-year-deal/

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears have again looked to an NFC North rival with an eye on fixing a leaky defense. According to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, Lions defensive end Willie Young has reached a three-year, $9 million agreement with Chicago. The contract contains $3.95 million in guarantees, with $2 million to sign, USA Today reports.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/bears-add-de-willie-young/

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 36 of 40

Jump to: