Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders Hire Todd Downing as QB Coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Raiders Hire Todd Downing as QB Coach Reply with quote

Quote:
@caplannfl

#Raiders to hire former #Bills QBs coach Todd Downing as their QBs coach, league source said. He also interviewed with Bucs and Browns.

Coached the QB's last year with the Bills, and with the Lions in 2009 to 2013.

Quote:
“Todd Downing is a bright and energetic coach. He is familiar with our personnel at the quarterback position and he will play a key role in the development of all of the quarterbacks on the Bills’ roster,” said Bills head coach Doug Marrone. “He played a pivotal role in the development of Detroit’s quarterbacks during his tenure – most notably Matthew Stafford, the franchise’s all-time leading passer.”

In Downing’s first two seasons (2011-12) as the Lions’ QB coach, Stafford tallied 10,005 passing yards which ranks as the fourth most passing yards in NFL history over a two-year span. Under Downing’s tutelage, Stafford set Detroit single season franchise records for passing yards (5,038) and touchdowns (41) in 2011. Stafford also set single season franchise records for completions (435) and pass attempts (272) in 2012.

Downing joined Detroit in 2009 as an offensive quality control coach before being promoted to the role of assistant quarterbacks coach in 2010.

Downing originally entered the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings, spending three years on the Vikings coaching staff as the offensive quality control coach (2005) and football systems analyst (2003-04), helping the Vikings become a top-five offense in three consecutive seasons and a playoff appearance in 2004. After leaving the Vikings, Downing worked with the St. Louis Rams as a defensive assistant/assistant special teams coach (2006-07) before being promoted to the role of assistant secondary/defensive quality control coach (2008).

Prior to entering the NFL ranks, Downing began his coaching career with Eden Prairie High School in Minneapolis (1999-2000). In 2000, he helped his alma mater to the Minnesota Class 5-A state title.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
IDOG_det on the sig.
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard nothing but positive things about him. Sounds like a good hire and seeing as both DC & Stafford are strong armed mugs then it sounds like a good fit.

“If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I’m uncoachable, I’m unsociable."
-Kendrick Lamar
Chris Lance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I posted in the other thread.

Quote:
He is credited with helping with the development of Lions QB Matt Stafford.

Stafford passed for over 4500 yards in every season under Downing, including passing for 5038 yards in Downing's first season as QB coach.

Last edited by Chris Lance on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, he's done a terrific job. (sarcasm)

Stafford still is a mess. And EJ made 0 progress last season both in the offseason and before he got benched.

#FreeAgent

Jaguarfan wrote:
LETS DO THIS
BRING OUT THE GIFS SOMEONE
IM AT SCHOOL I CANT POST ANY
Chali21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:

Stafford still is a mess. And EJ made 0 progress last season both in the offseason and before he got benched.

That's probably because Manuel isn't that good, and when he coached Stafford, he had his best season in the pros.

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Its like they're too incompetent to know they're incompetent.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

That's probably because Manuel isn't that good, and when he coached Stafford, he had his best season in the pros.

Manuel, fine. But he still regressed.

Stafford, he coached him for his whole career save for one year. Like, seriously? Laughing

#FreeAgent

Jaguarfan wrote:
LETS DO THIS
RaiderX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

Good excuse. I've seen the guy play well in the pros as a rookie. Its something when looks even worse the next year.

Combine Downing with Musgrave's lack of QB developing and Carr has his work cut out for him.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

Good excuse. I've seen the guy play well in the pros as a rookie. Its something when looks even worse the next year.

Combine Downing with Musgrave's lack of QB developing and Carr has his work cut out for him.

You guys crack me up. Again, if Carr is the QB many think he is..... he will rise up regardless of it all.

The insecurities of Raider fans this generation are hilarious. Must always have a scapegoat to blame for why a player(s) didn't pan out. When it's largely on the player themselves and the talent they posses and work put in that decide it.

Tom Martinez was Brady's mentor, coached John Elway but Jamarcus Russell failed under his guidance. One example.

Musgrave was Ryan's coach, but that doesn't factor in here for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

EJ Manuel sucks. He wasn't any good at FSU either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

EJ Manuel sucks. He wasn't any good at FSU either.

This.
He benefited from a weak draft class and an overrated senior bowl game.

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
dante9876

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

You guys crack me up. Again, if Carr is the QB many think he is..... he will rise up regardless of it all.

The insecurities of Raider fans this generation are hilarious. Must always have a scapegoat to blame for why a player(s) didn't pan out. When it's largely on the player themselves and the talent they posses and work put in that decide it.

Tom Martinez was Brady's mentor, coached John Elway but Jamarcus Russell failed under his guidance. One example.

then why does just about every position coach resume consists of when a talented player performed well under them. And why do them guys keep getting jobs. It was just them working with a great player correct?
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

+1
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being sick of bottom of the barrel coaches. Hopefully we get Chuck B back so I can be told how its going to be terrific.

#FreeAgent

Jaguarfan wrote:
LETS DO THIS
Chali21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Sorry for being sick of bottom of the barrel coaches. Hopefully we get Chuck B back so I can be told how its going to be terrific.

When we stop being a losing team we will become the a hot spot for coaches and players. Right now we have to build with naturally talented players. Also I think it's both talent and coaching. You can draw up amazing schemes but if you don't have the talent to execute than you won't win. Vice versa if you have a bresnahan/ Knapp type the most talented of players won't succeed.

I for on am not overly concerned on the QB coach. I trust Carr's ability to find all the help he needs. The scheme is more important to me than the QB coach.

On the Raider's Staff
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Tacos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

Thank you.

People put far too much emphasis on QB coaches. I think every other positions coach matters quite a bit more than QB, as QB tends to get quite a bit of help regardless and more often than not they either have "it" or they don't.

I'm not saying coaching doesn't matter, it certainly does, but Carr has enough football knowledge that I'm really not worried. The guy knows what he does wrong and his development is entirely in his hands and the GM whose job it is to provide him with protection and receivers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: