Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Positive shout out to our FA period

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holyghost

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Positive shout out to our FA period Reply with quote

I think we can say that finally we've had a good FA haul and McKenzie can have a pat on the back. It's not all said and done 6 games into the season, but it's looking good.
Probably the reason we have been much more competitive as a team all of a sudden.

Malcolm Smith
Dan Williams
Rodney Hudson
Michael Crabtree
Aldon Smith
David Amerson

All 6 guys playing key football and contributing good games weekly for the most part. Some kudos are deserved.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, all players playing big roles. Good contribution from players that arent killing us vs the cap. Solid FA with what is shaping up to be another good draft class. Reggie is doing his thing.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got several second tier type guys who are making telling contributions. I also think Lee Smith deserves a mention, he's done well and I'm hoping and expecting Roy Helu to produce a lot more as he finds his feet after missing a lot of training camp. Williams, Crabtree and Malcolm Smith in particular have been excellent and very good value.

I think this is how it's going to be with Big Reggie in charge, perhaps not the eye opening splash FAs like Suh or Revis but filling our needs with solid players while all the time acquiring draft picks and talent. Solid long term plan.
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Positive shout out to our FA period Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
I think we can say that finally we've had a good FA haul and McKenzie can have a pat on the back. It's not all said and done 6 games into the season, but it's looking good.
Probably the reason we have been much more competitive as a team all of a sudden.

Malcolm Smith
Dan Williams
Rodney Hudson
Michael Crabtree
Aldon Smith
David Amerson

All 6 guys playing key football and contributing good games weekly for the most part. Some kudos are deserved.

Agreed, all of those players have had huge impacts on our team and should for years to come. Hudson has been a huge improvement over Wiz. I mean he's not making that block on the Coop TD.

Dan Williams - Just an animal on the inside. Isn't a pass rusher but I rarely see him moving back and typically he's pushing his man in the backfield.

Crabtree - Totally didn't expect him to be so good on the field and such a good presence as a person on a young team. Hasn't come across as a diva at all, looks like he loges being here and he compliments Cooper so well. One of the best bargains of the off season.

Malcolm Smith - Huge impact with his coverage, pass rushing, and range. People saw backup and thought he wouldn't be much, I think its possible he was just playing behind some other great players. He's still only 26 too.

Aldon - A bit different as he never hits the market if he doesn't get in all the trouble, but credit is due for creating and environment that we could take a calculated risk and as long as he stays out of trouble the payoff will be huge.

Hard not to applaud what Reggie has done. The draft is the key and he's done some great work the past couple of years, but good value I'm free agency completes it. Still have work to do but a terrific foundation has been laid. Amazing what a little patience and understanding of the situation the guy was brought into can do.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
Silver&Black88 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
People talk about 4 inches like it's 3 feet...........
#men
Nightmare

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
I think this is how it's going to be with Big Reggie in charge, perhaps not the eye opening splash FAs like Suh or Revis but filling our needs with solid players while all the time acquiring draft picks and talent. Solid long term plan.

Exactly. And you know what? It feels good to be vindicated in supporting Reggie and what I've always thought a his solid strategic plan. Far too many people were calling for his head after a couple of years in spite of the obvious progress we were making, because apparently we weren't doing so quickly enough. I'm glad the criticism of him seems to be fading away to nothing.

That said, this next draft will most likely be a tougher one for him. It's very, very unlikely we're going to have a Khalil Mack or Amari Cooper fall to us this time around, so hopefully he can deliver again when there isn't a guaranteed impact player available. I'm pretty confident he will, though, and as long as we hit on a few mid-level FAs again like we did last offseason, we'll be looking pretty good going into 2016.
holyghost

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
We got several second tier type guys who are making telling contributions. I also think Lee Smith deserves a mention, he's done well and I'm hoping and expecting Roy Helu to produce a lot more as he finds his feet after missing a lot of training camp. Williams, Crabtree and Malcolm Smith in particular have been excellent and very good value.

Lee Smith does deserve a quiet mention as a quietweekly contributor.
Helu also a positive signing, but not weekly on the contributing level of the others..

I think A. Smith was a splash signing, but unconventional and a kinda unique case.

But yeah, I think this is how it will be too. Role players, contributors, not splashes. It makes sense. It won't be very long until we have to take care of our home grown guys monetarily, Cooper, Mack, Carr, so the money should be set aside for them first and others later.
Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better haul then last off-season. Younger players with potential is always the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Smith was a good under the radar pickup. A bit worried he may have thrived off the Seattle scheme, but he's been lights out since the Cleveland game.

So glad to see Crabtree healthy and playing well. Almost everyone on here was groaning after hearing about the signing. I thought he last year in SF was largely effected by the achilles tear from the year before and he lost his explosion. Had a full year to recover in a new situation and he's balling.

We all thought Amerson would be moved to safety and here he is playing tough coverage at CB. Hope he continues it.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Words cannot adequately express how proud I am to have phrases such as "solid long term plan" and "Amazing what a little patience and understanding of the situation the guy was brought into can do" associated with the Raiders.

Less and less am I hearing "typical Raiders" or "another dumb move". I've grown up and now I feel like the Raiders have grown up as well. Great thread!

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
lobster57

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-flight players rarely make it to UFA status, if they do, it's usually because their original team knows they are done or close to it. and the top level guys who do go UFA aren't likely to sign with a team that has been bad for over a decade.

So to land half a dozen legitimate NFL players who are all making a solid contribution is pretty significant. I really like the fact that our recent FA classes have avoided trying to land the biggest names, but there is a focus on finding the right guy for the right role.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:

Wow! Words cannot adequately express how proud I am to have phrases such as "solid long term plan" and "Amazing what a little patience and understanding of the situation the guy was brought into can do" associated with the Raiders.

Less and less am I hearing "typical Raiders" or "another dumb move". I've grown up and now I feel like the Raiders have grown up as well. Great thread!

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
91jmay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free agency is for role players and young guys who didn't get a real shot on their last team. Occasionally you get a top class player like Hudson who you jump all over but for most part just draft well and add a few pieces here and there (if we find a Crabtree each year in free agency we should be delighted).
EricAllen21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Doing his thing , but a lot of players wanted to play for Jack Del rio. He is a proven player coach... Raiders are not that far away from being one of the big boys in the afc. One more solid offseason (draft, fa) and continuous improvement from the core
G

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the game I wanted every player, coach everybody resigned...
Amazing what winning and a few drinks will being about. (LOL)
There is something about this team coming together. I wasn't happy when Sio Moore was showed the door, but if he wasn't fitting into the new 'vibe' then I'm happy to see him gone. I'm still miffed about Veldheer and Houston but I just watch the game from a fans perspective. Reggie and his staff see these guys regularly and know the 'value' to keep or let walk. Mr. McKenzie deserves an extension unless there's inner drama between him and Mark over Del Rio's hiring. Looks to me like everybody is on board and moving forward but again, I'n just looking at it from the fans perspective.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: