Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the most urgent need for the Texans?
DT/DE
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
OL
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
S
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
WR
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
LB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
TE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

pickledpigsfeet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Draft Needs Reply with quote

I think that this draft is deep at CB and S while weak at top DT's. Mel Kiper had the Texans taking WR Mike Williams from USC in the first round to go opposite Andre Johnson. While that would certainly make for a scary WR line up, it doesn't address the most urgent needs.

In my opinion, here are the Texans needs in order of importance.

1. DT/DE
2. OL
3. S
4. WR
5. LB
6. CB
7. TE

Given the many needs, they can probably take the best player available and I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down a few picks in the first round to maybe pick up an additional first day pick (we do already have 2 3rd round picks).

A DT is greatly needed, whether Payne can come back or not. The team has talked about moving Smith inside and possibly taking a DE as well.

An OL that can start or push to start early is needed, either at LT or RG would be great. Or a young C who can play G for a year or two and make the transition later would be good. McKinney isn't getting any younger.

While Earl played well late in the season at S, we need to bring in someone to challenge him.

We need a solid #2 WR, or at worst a #3 to push Gaffney for the #2 slot. Derrick Anderson did come on strong late in the year at WR and could be a possible option.

We despetately need depth at LB, both inside and out.

A young CB to develop and add depth would be nice as well.

TE isn't a huge concern because Miller is a good one who just wasn't used this year after being hurt early but some depth at the position and some insurance against Joppru not coming back from injury would be nice.
texansfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a trade down would be nice, since there's rumors of guys like Hawthorne and Spears being more late first round types, so we could trade down to about the 20th pick and grab one of those guys and maybe get another 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Personally, I'd like to see them trade down and grab Spears. And then trade up a bit in the second round and getting a guy like Shazor. Other picks can be used on adding some depth to the O-line and Linebacking corps.

I also think we need to hit the free agency market again. We don't need to make any major splashes, but grabbing two guys would make a major difference. Paying big money to a tackle like Orlando Pace would really solidify the line. And picking up Ed Hartwell from Baltimore to team with Sharper on the inside could really create some havoc from the linebackers. Those along with Shazor (who can also play linebacker if he gets too big) and Spears (playing DE in the 3-4 and moving Robaire Smith inside) could really pay big dividends for the defense.
texan0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Needs...... Reply with quote

I like the Williams thought, hehe yaa it's just a thought, i dont see them giong with williams but if he's on the board i hope they consider trading down maybe something like a late first round and an extra late second round giving you 3 pics in the first 50 picks of the draft, again the texans have huge holes on the o-line, and they need to address a good pass rusher on the defensive side, also a safety,
pickledpigsfeet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the mock drafts I have seen have us taking a S in the first round and either a DT or OL in the second. I almost think that we have to go DT or DE in the first round due to the drop off of talent after the first few guys at that position. The draft will be deeper at S, WR, and LB.

At least most of the talk about drafting a RB in the first has died down. DD has been injured a bit but has also shown he can dominate at times too. Give him another season with mostly the same line and another year behind the zone blocking scheme and see what he can do before we hit the panic button.
texansfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that DT/DE should be our focus in the first round. There is nobody worth getting in the second at that position. So if we were able to grab a guy like Marcus Spears in the first, we could take either Shazor from Michigan or Nicholson from Oklahoma in the second. And then grab some O-line help in the 3rd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: