Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kiper: Cason is a 4th round prospect
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NNYlion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Kiper: Cason is a 4th round prospect Reply with quote

In a recent chat he calls Antoine Cason a 4th rounder. I've seen Cason as a late 2nd at worst so far, so this shocked me. No, I don't think Mel is all-knowing, but still. Either way, I think he's a good Tampa 2 prospect. It will be interesting how the CB prospects do at the combine so that we'll have a better idea of projections. As of now, I think Cason is a late 1st-mid 2nd prospect. Where do you all range his projection before the combine?
Barry Sanders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time last year he said the same thing about Daymeion Hughes (who was also considered a 1st/2nd round pick). It shouldn't come to a surprise as they are very similar players and Cason might only fit in the cover 2.

O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
PackAttack04

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiper: Cason is a 4th round prospect Reply with quote

NNYlion wrote:
In a recent chat he calls Antoine Cason a 4th rounder. I've seen Cason as a late 2nd at worst so far, so this shocked me. No, I don't think Mel is all-knowing, but still. Either way, I think he's a good Tampa 2 prospect. It will be interesting how the CB prospects do at the combine so that we'll have a better idea of projections. As of now, I think Cason is a late 1st-mid 2nd prospect. Where do you all range his projection before the combine?

Top 10 Pick. Last season, Kiper labeled him as a top 10 pick. He had his best season yet, but hes falls due to what? His slow 40? The problem with his "slow" 40 is that its from 2 or more years ago. No one has an official 40 on him. No scout is going to put him high based on that 40, but if he runs a 4.45, hes going to jump up draft boards to the first.

I have him going to NE. Hes a smart CB who knows what to do and how to do it and Belicheat loves smarter players.

Last edited by PackAttack04 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mario45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that means we could get a LB, DE, or OT in the 1st n get him in the 2nd round
Barry Sanders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiper: Cason is a 4th round prospect Reply with quote

PackAttack04 wrote:
Top 10 Pick. Last season, Kiper labeled him as a top 10 pick. He had his best season yet, but hes falls due to what? His slow 40? The problem with his "slow" 40 is that its from 2 or more years ago. No one has an official 40 on him. No scout is going to put him high based on that 40, but if he runs a 4.45, hes going to jump up draft boards to the first.

I'm pretty sure he had him as his 4th ranked corner back, because it surprised most. I don't ever recall him being high on Cason.

O o
PackAttack04

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^

[Link Removed by mod]

Cason at #10. The ESPN link is at the top of the page.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's surprising, I know Kiper normally downgraded Cason compared to other draft gurus.

O o
PackAttack04

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Sanders wrote:
That's surprising, I know Kiper normally downgraded Cason compared to other draft gurus.

He jumps around with his rankings. Gets a new player once in a while to raise name recognition. For example, last year at one point Ted Ginn was the #1 prospect on his board. His big board changes a lot.

I think if Cason runs a 4.45. I think he runs that, hes been working on his 40 for 2 years now including becoming an All-American sprinter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackAttack04, Please don't post links to other Forums or copyrighted material.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2149

Team Stylish313
PackAttack04

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
PackAttack04, Please don't post links to other Forums or copyrighted material.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2149

oh yea, forgot about the other forums part, sry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Barry Sanders mentioned earlier about Cason reminding him of Daymeion Hughes. Hughes did fall to the third, and if it looks like Cason might do the same come draft day i'd like the Lions to take him in the second or trade up where needed back into the second or up in the third. They need to fix the CB position, and if they have to 'reach' in the eyes of some to get a player that may only fit the Cover 2 then so be it.

Team Stylish313
LionsGM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cason is an early 2nd round prospect in my opinion. Even if the guy runs like a 4.55, i still think that his draft position. Although i expect him to run around a 4.50. This will play right into the Lions' hands. They can address either one of their other needs in the first round like DE, RT, MLB, or SLB, and Cason falls into their laps at 47.

To say Cason is a 4th round prospect is obsurd. I don't care what he runs in the 40 (unless its over 4.65) lol. Let's not confuse Antoine Cason with Daymeion Hughes now; Hughes was talented in his own right, but Cason is a borderline elite prospect, with his speed as his only negative. Only in the Cover 2 it's not much of an issue.

Cason will not fall out of the 2nd round.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiper: Cason is a 4th round prospect Reply with quote

PackAttack04 wrote:
NNYlion wrote:

I have him going to NE. Hes a smart CB who knows what to do and how to do it and Belicheat loves smarter players.

A CB that runs a 4.45 is considered slow by NFL standards. If he does run between a 4.4-4.5 don't look for his name to come off the boards day one. Unless it's by a team like the Lions who (a)Draft horrible, (b)Draft according to need, or (c)Run the cover two defense.
Barry Sanders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsGM wrote:
Cason is an early 2nd round prospect in my opinion. Even if the guy runs like a 4.55, i still think that his draft position. Although i expect him to run around a 4.50. This will play right into the Lions' hands. They can address either one of their other needs in the first round like DE, RT, MLB, or SLB, and Cason falls into their laps at 47.

To say Cason is a 4th round prospect is obsurd. I don't care what he runs in the 40 (unless its over 4.65) lol. Let's not confuse Antoine Cason with Daymeion Hughes now; Hughes was talented in his own right, but Cason is a borderline elite prospect, with his speed as his only negative. Only in the Cover 2 it's not much of an issue.

Cason will not fall out of the 2nd round.

Daymeion Hughes was a borderline elite prospect at this time too. Hughes was in the same position Cason is in right now.

O o
Michiganman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Kiper is right and he is there in the 4th... Sub-4.4 speed is not my primary concern in a corner so long as we are running the cover-2 so in my opinion he would be a steal even in the 3rd. I think his value as of now is a late-first or early second but I don't want the Lions to miss on him unless there is considerable value going the other way.

Hopefully he does fall right into our laps in a mid-round, doubtful but that would be some much appreciated luck that the lions never have. My bet is somebody snags him just before us in the second. But only the draft will tell.

My view on Kiper is that he overrates wideouts based on our history of following his scouts and reads to much into the measurable physical attributes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: