Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Pittsburgh Pirates Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oildrum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: The Pittsburgh Pirates Thread Reply with quote

I couldn't find a Pittsburgh Pirates thread existing, so here we go.

LINEUP:
C - Jason Jaramillo
1B - Adam LaRoche
2B - Freddy Sanchez
3B - Andy LaRoche
SS - Brian Bixler
LF - Nyjer Morgan
CF - Nate McLouth
RF - Brandon Moss

ROTATION:
Paul Maholm
Ian Snell
Zach Duke
Ross Ohlendorf
Jeff Karstens

BENCH:
C - Robinson Diaz
INF/OF - Delwyn Young
INF - Ramon Vazquez
INF/OF - Eric Hinske
OF - Craig Monroe

BULLPEN:
Matt Capps
John Grabow
Evan Meek
Sean Burnett
Jesse Chavez
Donald Veal
Tyler Yates

DL:
Phil Dumatrait
Ryan Doumit
Jack Wilson
Craig Hansen

Anyway, we suck. Guaranteed losing season. Guaranteed top 10 draft pick, most likely top 5. Hopefully we can trade some of our crap for... anything. But since we are so bad right now, might as well enjoy it! So celebrate the path to 17 consecutive losing seasons. HISTORY, HERE WE COME!

Last edited by Oildrum on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 pm; edited 41 times in total
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Quest for 16 Straight - The Pittsburgh Pirates Threa Reply with quote

Oildrum wrote:
I couldn't find a Pittsburgh Pirates thread existing, so here we go.

PROJECTED LINEUP:
CF - Nate McLouth
2B - Freddy Sanchez
LF - Jason Bay
1B - Adam LaRoche
RF - Xavier Nady
C - Ronny Paulino
SS - Jack Wilson
3B - Jose Bautista

ROTATION:
Ian Snell
Tom Gorzelanny
Paul Maholm
Matt Morris
Zach Duke

BENCH:
C - Michel Hernandez
1B/RF/DL - Ryan Doumit
INF - Chris Gomez
INF - Josh Wilson*
OF - Nyjer Morgan
OF - Chris Duffy

BULLPEN:
Matt Capps - CLOSER
Damase Marte
John Grabow
Romulo Sanchez
Evan Meek
Franquelis Osoria
Juan Perez*

*Only one of these two will likely make the team

Anyway, we suck. Guaranteed losing season. Guaranteed top 10 draft pick, most likely top 5. Hopefully we can trade some of our crap for... anything. But since we are so bad right now, might as well enjoy it! So celebrate the path to 16 consecutive losing seasons. HISTORY, HERE WE COME!

That's just depressing...

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mclouth has a bright future ahead of him, IMO.

I think if he can concentrate on the ball more, he'll be able to connect with more hits, raise that average and lower those K's. He's 26, but he can still make an impact. He's going to be good for 40 SB's this year too, I think.

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)
Oildrum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBrowns41 wrote:
Mclouth has a bright future ahead of him, IMO.

I think if he can concentrate on the ball more, he'll be able to connect with more hits, raise that average and lower those K's. He's 26, but he can still make an impact. He's going to be good for 40 SB's this year too, I think.

I agree. If anyone is going to break out from this team, it's him. He already has good power for a speedy CF, a very good batting eye, and intelligence on the bases. His only weaknesses are defense, which is correctable since his only problem is taking bad routes, and contact hitting. If he can hit .270 and walk as much as he did last year, I would be completely satisfied.

And yes, if he starts the whole year, 40 SB is well within reason.
TheFootballKing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Pirates' fans- this is the only "official thread" that is "officially" more depressing than the O's thread. Thought I'd engage some of my fellow misers in some baseball talk. Very Happy

I was curious to see what you guys thought of Jose Bautista and Chris Gomez. I see Bautista hasn't put up great stats, but I always thought that he had the potential to do better than the expectations. I know you just signed Gomez in December, but what kind of role do you seem him playing on the team? I was upset that the Orioles let him get away because he's a great guy to have off the bench- offensively and defensively.

For what it's worth, I see Zach Duke and Ian Snell taking steps forward this season.

What are the plans for guys like Steve Pearce and Andrew McCutchen?

Good luck with your next draft pick as you celebrate (not-so) Sweet 16. The Orioles have 11 and 12 pretty much set.
A.J. Hawk Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of McCutcheon and Gorz this year?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFootballKing wrote:
Congrats to Pirates' fans- this is the only "official thread" that is "officially" more depressing than the O's thread. Thought I'd engage some of my fellow misers in some baseball talk. Very Happy

I was curious to see what you guys thought of Jose Bautista and Chris Gomez. I see Bautista hasn't put up great stats, but I always thought that he had the potential to do better than the expectations. I know you just signed Gomez in December, but what kind of role do you seem him playing on the team? I was upset that the Orioles let him get away because he's a great guy to have off the bench- offensively and defensively.

For what it's worth, I see Zach Duke and Ian Snell taking steps forward this season.

What are the plans for guys like Steve Pearce and Andrew McCutchen?

Good luck with your next draft pick as you celebrate (not-so) Sweet 16. The Orioles have 11 and 12 pretty much set.

Haha, the Pirates and Orioles are brothers in arms, the two teams ruined by horrible owners. Thanks for stopping by.

Jose Bautista (former Oriole, correct?) is a guy that does have potential, but in my opinion it is too late for him to put it together. He was ruined by the Rule 5 system, where he had to stay in the Majors even though he wasn't ready, and got no playing time there anyway. Now he's 28, and below average in power, contact hitting, and defense. He does know how to take a walk though, and can play multiple positions adequately, so I think he'd be perfect as a super-sub type player, who plays everyday, just doesn't start. He is going to get another chance at 3B most likely, unless Neil Walker really impresses at camp. Hopefully he does well, but I don't think it's likely.

Chris Gomez will likely be used as our primary backup for the middle infield positions behind Jack Wilson and Freddy Sanchez. He also figures to be a major pinch hitter for us, since his rates in past years were very solid. If we carry two backups for the infield, he'll have to compete with Josh Wilson or Ray Olmedo for playing time.

I am not as optimistic about our pitching. I can see Duke possibly making a step forward this season, as his main problem seemed to be our horrible pitching coach Jim Colborn. Snell also hated Colborn, but I think he may have already maxed out his potential. He's already exceeded expectations as a 6' tall power pitcher. Honestly, I am getting fearful of an injury since he threw the most breaking pitches of ANY pitcher over the past two years. We'll see....

McCutchen and Pearce both will in all likelihood start the season in AAA. McCutchen for sure, since we kept both Nyjer Morgan and Nate McLouth to play CF next season. I wouldn't be surprised if he was called up in June/July if he tears it up though. Pearce has a chance of making the big league club, especially if Xavier Nady is traded, which has been rumored for months. As it stands now, he will work on defense as a RF and 1B while starting in AAA. If the alternative is rotting on the Pirates bench, I'm fine with that. I'd also expect Pearce up by the midpoint this season. I can't see Nady and LaRoche both staying with the team after the trading deadline.

Good luck to the Orioles. We are already getting set up for our #2 overall pick in the draft. I hear there's a low ceiling relief pitcher prospect around, so I guess our choice is clear. Laughing You guys have my favorite park in the Majors, excluding ours, and my 2nd or 3rd favorite team. I've been a fan since high school, where my best friend was a hardcore Orioles fan. I started following the team at his behest. So again, good luck in the next few years, hopefully Peter Angelos will be gone by then.
Oildrum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.J. Hawk Fan wrote:
What do you think of McCutcheon and Gorz this year?

I doubt McCutchen will see too much playing time this year. He'll almost assuredly start the season in AAA. I wouldn't be surprised if he was up by midseason, but I wouldn't count on it. I think he will be an interesting player at the major league level. He should be Mike Cameron-type player at worst.

Gorzy will probably put up about the same type of year. Maybe a bit better. He still won't win any games, but he pitches very well, should again put up an ERA around 3.75 with around 145 K.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the upside, you guys should be getting either Pedro Alvarez or Tim Beckham in the draft this year.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Oildrum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
Look on the upside, you guys should be getting either Pedro Alvarez or Tim Beckham in the draft this year.

I wish it were that easy. Remember, this is the team that took Moskos instead of Wieters last year, took Bryan Bullington over B.J. Upton despite every scout disagreeing, and took the NCAA home run champ with the 9th overall pick... and converted him to a pitcher. All in the past 6 years. NOTHING is a given with this team.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oildrum wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:

I wish it were that easy. Remember, this is the team that took Moskos instead of Wieters last year, took Bryan Bullington over B.J. Upton despite every scout disagreeing, and took the NCAA home run champ with the 9th overall pick... and converted him to a pitcher. All in the past 6 years. NOTHING is a given with this team.

From everything i've heard is that they will take BPA this year because of the amount of heat they've gotten from teh fans for allthe past travesties you just listed. I should hate the Pirates being a Reds fan and all and we're in the same division, but I have to pull at least a little for a team that has been down as long as the Pirates have been. As a Cincinnati sports fan, I certainly can sympathize.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Oildrum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
Oildrum wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:

From everything i've heard is that they will take BPA this year because of the amount of heat they've gotten from teh fans for allthe past travesties you just listed. I should hate the Pirates being a Reds fan and all and we're in the same division, but I have to pull at least a little for a team that has been down as long as the Pirates have been. As a Cincinnati sports fan, I certainly can sympathize.

Heh, I knew they've said that. But I'll believe it only when they make the pick.

I don't really mind you guys either. I love Brandon Phillips, he's one of my favorite players in the league. Heard he just got signed long term also, congrats. Jay Bruce will be a sick player. I've seen him in person; he's a monster. Joey Votto should transition nicely also. Honestly, I would be fine if the Reds or Brewers won the division. But I can't stand the Cubs, Cards, or 'Stros.
pollino14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Zach Duke going to make a splash this year or what?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oildrum wrote:
Snell also hated Colborn, but I think he may have already maxed out his potential. He's already exceeded expectations as a 6' tall power pitcher. Honestly, I am getting fearful of an injury since he threw the most breaking pitches of ANY pitcher over the past two years. We'll see....

You seem pretty down on Snell. He was fantastic before the All-Star break last season and then just seemed to get tired in July and August. I think if he can get his pitches over consistently (to avoid giving up as many hits) and learn to handle left-handed batters that he can surprise some people. Obviously some conditioning and maturity would help him, as well. But a SWIP between .52 and .53 certainly isn't bad.
I really can't criticize, though. When you follow teams like the Orioles and Pirates, it's hard to be optimistic about much.
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates fans, I know you all don't get much media coverage, so I thought I'd post this article for you guys to read. It's a good read, written by Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3238436

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 1 of 42

Jump to: