Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AFC East analysis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: AFC East analysis Reply with quote

heres my AFC East analysis, and this is coming from an outsider who is not a fan of any of the teams in the division. this is my second division as i'm going to try to do one of these for all 8 divisions
completed: AFC North, AFC East
next: AFC South

New England Patriots 2004 Record: 14-2, Super Bowl Champions
Head Coach: Bill Belichik

Threepeat?

The Pats, led by their only true star, Tom Brady, charged toward their third Super Bowl title in 4 years last year. But despite being the World Champions, 2005 will not be easy by an means. Both of their head coordinators, Charlie Weis on offense and Romeo Crennel on defense, are now head coaches elsewhere. Eric Mangini almost left too, but will be a great defensive coordinator. On offense, i'm not exactly sure who is the OC this year, though i'm pretty sure Belichik will handle play calling duties. Just weeks after the SB win, The Pats organization suffered crippling news when Tedy Bruschi suffered a stroke. He will likely sit out the season. Reloading after the loss of Bruschi, The Pats signed two linebackers, veteran Chad Brown and the younger Monty Beisel. They also traded for Cardinal washout Duane Starks, who did show signs of great potential in his stint in Baltimore, and signed return man Chad Morton. On offense, the team looks very similar. Tom Brady will once again lead the team, and will be his usual stellar self. He'll likely land in the Pro Bowl, as will running back Corey Dillon, who finished last year 3rd in the NFL in rushing yards. He has a chance to top last years total. The Pats have one of the deepest recieving corps in the league, despite the loss of David Patten to Washington. Super Bowl MVP Deion Branch leads the group, which also includes the team's regular season recieving leader David Givens and speedsters Tim Dwight and Bethel Johnson. The Pats also traded for former Bears bust David Terrell, and he can hopefully resurrect his career at Foxboro. Ben Watson seems like the favorite to start at TE, hes considered to be one of the best prospects in a while and Pats fans should be very excited about him playing this year. The offensive line lost Joe Andruzzi, and still has its usual list of phenominal no names. Dan Koppen is one of the most underrated centers in the game. On Defense, I expect Richard Seymour's holdout to end soon, and he'll anchor the D-line. The big-play Willie McGinest is back, as is Super Bowl TD man Mike Vrabel. The secondary will be led by Rodney Harrison, who will come up with more big hits and huge plays. And of course, Vinatieri was re-signed as the most clutch kicker in the NFL will never leave Boston. The Pats are in a very good position to repeat, but they have a very rough first 5 weeks to the season. They'll start by facing Randy Moss and the Raiders on Thursday night, before traveling to Carolina and Pittsburgh in playoff rematches from the past two years, and then a home game against San Diego before traveling to Atlanta to face Mike Vick and the Falcons. i think they'll be fine though, they'll probably only drop one of those games, and expect to see them in the playoffs again.

Projected Finish:12-4, AFC East Champions
Offensive MVP: Corey Dillon
Defensive MVP: Richard Seymour
Breakout Player: Ben Watson

Buffalo Bills2004 record: 9-7
Head Coach: Mike Mularkey

It's All About J.P.

The Bills started last year 0-4, before rebounding and coming into the last weekend w/ a shot at a playoff spot, only to lose and fall right out of the picture. This year, lots of things are different. There is no Travis Henry, as the disgruntled former starter was traded to Tennessee recently, and McGahee will have every oppurtunity to run becuase 2nd year HC Mike Mularkey and his Bills are relying on JP Losman to come in and start for them, after they released Drew Bledsoe this past offseason. McGahee will be in the Top 5 in rushing yards, hes a workhorse who just will not stop. pencil him in for 1600 yards and 15 TD's. I think Losman is ready. hes got all the tools, and hes been working hard this offseason. The bills management wouldn't have released Bledsoe if they didn't feel that Losman was ready for this. he has some weapons, namely Eric Moulds and rising second year man Lee Evans. Evans scored 9 TD's and averaged 17 yards a catch last year, and especially heated up at the end of the year. In the last 4 games, Evans caught 19 passes for 289 yards (72.3 per game) and 4 TD's. He'll probably take on Eric Mould's role as the no. 1 reciever. The Bills brought in Bennie Anderson from Baltimore to shore up their offensive guard position, and Kevin Everett, their 3rd round pick from Miami, will have a chance to start at TE. Buffalo also has one of the stingiest defenses in the league, led by monster Takeo Spikes at OLB. Aaron Schoeble had 8 sacks last year at the defensive end position, he and Chris Kelsay hope to get the QB as often as possible. They also have ageless wonder Sam Adams plugging up the DT position. Terrence MgGhee is a solid corner, but a dynamic kick returner. Mularkey hopes he can provide at both positions. Nate Clements also looks poised to contribute, he had 6 picks last year. London Fletcher will likely be near the top of the NFL tackles chart, as will Spikes. Overall, this team looks ready to make a run at the playoffs. a Rock solid D and an Offense that looks potent will lead to an AFC wild card. they'll rattle off 4 straight wins to end the season and clinch the playoff berth

Projected Finish- 11-5, 2nd in AFC East, AFC Wild Card
Offensive MVP: Willis McGahee
Defensive MVP: Takeo Spikes
Breakout player: Lee Evans

New York Jets 2004 Record- 10-6, AFC Divisional Round loss
Head Coach: Herm Edwards

Can't Blame the Kicker This Year

Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin hope to make another run at the playoffs as a revamped Jets squad looks for revenge after last years heartbreaker at Heinz Field. Doug Brien is gone, there was no way he could show his face at Giants stadium ever again. Mike Nugent, the teams first selection in the draft, will handle kicking duties this year. Curtis Martin had his best season yet last year, and with new backup Derrick Blaylock in New York, the running game will be stellar. Lavernues Coles is back where he had his best season, after a two year adventure in Washington. Coles was traded back to the Jets in exchange for Santana Moss, who slumped last year w/ Pennington back throwing the football. The Recieving core is solid, with Justin McCareins ready to break out-- again and Jerricho Cotchery and the ageless Wayne Chrebet. The O-Line is led by center Kevin Mawae as usual, but on offense the main question mark is on Chad Pennington. Can the kid stay healthy for the entire season? On defense, John Abraham and his contract dispute is a big issue. If hes back, he and Shaun Ellis form one of the best end partnerships in teh league. Dewayne Robertson will also have a huge year. And looks whos ready to improve on his DROY campaign, its Jon Vilma! this guy is going to have a monster year, he seems like a mini Ray Lewis. The corner position lost some depth when Donnie Abraham retired, David Barrett and either Ray Mickens, 2nd round pick Justin Miller, or Derrick Strait will be asked to start. Another bright spot should be Eric Barton at OLB, he'll have a big year. Despite a great looking squad, i don't think the jets will make the playoffs. why? Chad Pennington. he'll be injured again this year, and this time the Jets won't make it w/o him. Jay Fiedler will not take this team to the playoffs.

Projected Finish- 9-7, 3rd in AFC East
Offensive MVP: Lavernues Coles
Defensive MVP: Jonathan Vilma
Breakout player: Dewayne Robertson

Miami Dolphins2004 record: 4-12
Head Coach: Nick Saban

New Sheriffs in Town: Saban, Linehan, Ricky, Ronnie.... and Gus!?

Nick Saban ushers in a new era of Dolphin football this year, but even this "Mini-Belichek" guru will go through a rough first season. Saban started his regime off well w/ a phenominal draft, nabbing franchise running back ronnie brown, and then getting matt roth and channing crowder about one round after they were expected to be gone. Travis daniels in the 4th round was nice too. Saban also got Ricky Williams back on board, though it remains to be seen whether this is a good thing or not. The offense is completely reshaped, with Scott Linehan coming in from Minnesota to be the coordinator, and possibly a new starting QB. Ineffective AJ Feeley could find himself giving up the starting spot to career underachiever and backup Gus Frerotte, who will be most remembered for nearly giving himself a concussion by running into the wall as celebration for a TD while he was a Redskin. Whomever starts inherits a very shaky offensive line, but also a very talented receiving corps. Sure handed TE Randy McMichael leads the group, which also contains explosive Chris Chambers and possesion reciever Marty Booker. the wild card is David Boston, who is just totally unpredicatble. Ronnie brown is the starting running back, Ricky Williams is the backup. that much is known. what is not known is how much Ricky weighs, how ready he is to play, or even how dedicated he is. Both will struggle to gain yards thanks to the offensive line, led by Stockar McDougle. The Dolphins suffered a huge setback during mini camps when Will Poole, slated to start this year at CB, suffered injury and is out for the year. Poole was set to replace Pat Surtain, who is in Kansas City now as part of a draft day deal. Mario Edwards, Reggie Howard, or rookie Travis Daniels will try to take the No. 2 spot behind Sam Madison at corner now that Poole is out. The defensive line upgraded this offseason with the signings of Vonnie Holiday from KC, and Kevin Carter from the Titans firesale. Jason Taylor moves to OLB as the Dolphins switch to a 3-4 front. Taylor will likely wreak havoc from that position, he'll post a very high sack count. Junior Seau and Zach Thomas are the starting ILB's, with Channing Crowder very much in the mix to start. I expect Crowder and Thomas to start, and both will pick up a huge tackle count. Saban has this team moving in the right direction, but for now he'll mostly have to settle for moral victories. Dolphins are the only sub .500 team in the division

Projected Finish- 5-11, 4th in AFC East
Offensive MVP- Randy McMichael
Defensive MVP- Jason Taylor
Breakout player- Gus Frerotte
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Jets_Legendary_28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do agree with were you placed the dolphins (last) and the patriots (first). but heres what i dont get, i can see the bills pulling an average year, but they dont have Henry any more, which was dumb to even get rid of him. they dont have Drew Bledso anymore and JP Lospan, (or however you spell it) just got injured in TRAINING. if you are starting at QB, the most critized postion in all of sports, when you threw, for i believe, 5 times in your NFL carrear, how far is he going to get you. i dont think the Bills will have a bad year but, the Jets win/loss record is better, and i dont see the Bills defeating the Jets both times in the season. im still 50/50 on them beating the Jets once in the season. i think the Jets will get the the playoffs, and if Pennington does not get injured, the Jets could go, like, 12-4 or 11-5. the Jets could do it this year if injuries arent a factor. i only worry about the Patriots. and if the Jets get Ty Law, thats a "+" for the Jets, and a huge "-" for the Patriots. the Jets just could beat the Patriots once this year. 25% chance. to put the Jets in 3rd is crap. other wise good job on facts and info.
speedkillz33

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is now way jp losman leads buffalo to a 9-7 season, he is a first year starter and will need time to develop. While i admit he is in a good situation there in buffalo i still think they go 8-8 or 7-9. the jets though are going to be strong this year if pennington stays healthy and look for jonathon carter to have a big year in teh slot as well. I see them going 10-6 this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have too much faith in J.P. Losman but I think that both the Bills and Jets will be 9-7 and one will make the palyoffs as a wildcard. Agree with Dolphins and Patriots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: