You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Detroit Lions Team Needs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A2Wolves6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Detroit Lions Team Needs Reply with quote

QB- Joey Harrington may not be the starter in Detroit for long. What is keeping him here is his huge contract. Mike McMahon is a free agent and wants out of here. Rick Mirer is a free agent as well and may not be retained. While it isn't smart to go after another starting QB and having all that salary tied up at this position, Detroit has to do something at the quarterback position. A mid round draft pick and a veteran free agent pickup is necessary at this position.

FB- Cory Schlesinger has been a great Lion for years, but I don't know how much longer he is going to play. Keith "Thump" Belton looked great in the pre-season and may be the future at the position, but that is for the coaching staff to decide. A late round draft pick at the fullback position may be necessary.

WR- This is an ugly position. Roy Williams has trouble catching balls. Charles Rogers has trouble staying healthy. Az-Zahir Hakim has been dropping balls as well, and will likely be released due to his large salary next season. Tai Streets is a free agent and won't be re-signed. With the salaries Rogers and Williams are commanding, Detroit can't use a first day pick at this position or pick up a high profile free agent, but need to spend a second day pick on a prospect who is ready to play right now.

TE- After passing on Kellen Winslow, the Lions gambled on Stephen Alexander on panning out at the tight end position. Alexander has dropped several crucial endzone passes and is a free agent at the end of the season. Casey Fitzsimmons is also a free agent, but will likely be with the club next year. A playmaker is necessary at this position, preferbably a receiving threat. The Lions are too high to be selecting Heath Miller, and will likely look at someone like Alex Smith in the second round to booster their receiving game

LG- David Loverne has been awful all season. He was benched in favor of Matt Joyce last week against the Bears, when Jones was running well. Once Damien Woody left with an injury and Loverne came in, Jones and the rushing attack stopped, as Loverne played poorly. His passing protection is poor, and his run blocking is worse. He is a capable backup. Detroit needs to look at a starter possibly in the second or third round such as David Baas or Marcus Johnson.

C- Dominic Raiola is a free agent at the end of the season. He was overpowered by tackles at the beginning of the season, but has come on as of late. Still, he never developed into a dominant run blocker, but an adequate pass blocker. Detroit may not retain Raiola, and would need to draft a center. Scott Mruczkowski is a possibility in the later rounds, or a free agent such as Robbie Tobeck.

RT- Stockar McDougle and Damien Woody make up the right side of the offensive line, which is where Jones gets most of his rushing yards. McDougle is argubably the best offensive lineman the Lions have. He will be hard to retain, as the free agent market may lure him away. If Kelly Butler or Victor Rogers aren't ready to take over the RT position, then Detroit may draft an immediate starter in round one such as Alex Barron or Jammal Brown. They could also pick up a free agent RT who would be more prepared to start.

RE- While Cory Redding, Kalimba Edwards, and Jared Devries have rotated in and out of this position and performed well, none of them is an every-down starter. This is more of a want than a need though. A first round draft pick of Erasmus James or Dan Cody would be great, although this team has bigger needs.

DT- Shaun Rogers will be slapped with the franchise tag if a long term deal isn't reached. Dan Wilkinson is good at stoping the run, but he is getting up there in years. Detroit has depth at the position in Kelvin Pritchett who is a free agent and Marcus Bell who has played very well at times, but neither look like every-down players. A developmental prospect in the later rounds would be beneficial for this position.

ILB- While Earl Holmes is great at this position, he is a free agent at the end of next season, and Detroit would like to groom a replacement at the position, as Holmes is showing signs of slowing down. A later round selection could be the route here, if Detroit wants to draft his replacement this year.

SS- Bracey Walker has been burnt on several occasions this season, and is a free agent at the end of the year. He is more of a backup safety and a special teamer than a starter. A first round pick or a big name free agent should be used at this position. Someone like Thomas Davis or pick up Donovin Darius through free agency, if he leaves. Dwight Smith is a possibility as well.
Footballs Future member #10
lionzfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB- I BELIEVE THAT JOEY WILL BE A GOOD QB, BUT HE NEEDS TO GET HIS CONFIDENCE BACK. AT OREGON, HE WAS A STUD. I THINK IT WOULD BE SMART TO PICK UP A QB IN THE LATER ROUNDS AND IN FA, BUT LET'S NOT GIVE UP ON HIM YET!

FB- YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT! THE HUMAN WRECKING BALL IS GETTING CLOSE TO THE END. HOW ABOUT TREJO, IS HE A LEGIT REPLACEMENT?

WR- I TELL YOU WHAT, WILLIAMS AND ROGERS WILL BE A GREAT TANDEM! THEY ARE YOUNG AND WILL MAKE MISTAKES, BUT I HAVE SEEN SOME OUTRAGIOUS CATCHES FROM BOTH OF THEM! I WOULD GET RID OF AZ AND PICK UP FA OR A MID ROUND WR TO DRAFT!

TE- WE HAVE NO GOOD TE'S! I HEARD THAT MCMICHAEL AND HEAP ARE FA AT THE END OF THE YEAR. I KNOW MCMICHAEL WON'T GO ANYWHERE, BUT WHAT ABOUT HEAP? COULD WE GET HIM OR DRAFT ALEX SMITH OR JOEL DREESSEN.

LG- LOVERNE IS A NIGHTMARE! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE BAAS OR BROWN AT THAT POSITION. ARE THERE ANY FA THAT WE COULD GET?

C- COULD WE MOVE WOODY TO CENTER AND ADJUST THE REST OF THE LINE OR IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK! I DO LIKE MIKE DEGORY IN THE LATER ROUNDS, BUT MRUCZKOWSKI WOULD BE NICE TOO!

RT- MOVE STOCKAR TO RG AND PUT KELLY BUTLER AT THE RT POSITION. WE COULD ALSO DRAFT FOR DEPTH. BUT YOUR IDEA SEEMS MORE LOGICAL!

RE- HERE IS WHERE WE NEED TO DRAFT! WE NEED AN INSTANT STARTER. JAMES, CODY, SPEARS, OR KIWANUKA!

DT- WE ARE SET! ALL WE NEED IS DEPTH.

ILB- HOLMES IS GOOD, BUT WE NEED TO GET AN UNDERLING FOR HIM! I LIKE MORRISON FROM SD STATE! I LOVE OUR 2005 LINEBACKING CORE (LEHMAN, HOLMES, AND BAILEY)!

SS- WE NEED HELP! I WOULD LOVE TO GET DAVIS OR NICHOLSON! WITH ONE OF THESE GUYS AND HOLT, WE COULD HAVE A NICE SECONDARY!
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some of what you said but here is what I think the Lions need in order of importance:

Safety - I would not label the Lions safeties as SS and FS. They tend to have both safeties drop down to put 8 in the box. With that said Walker and Marion are both showing their age and the Lions would improve that position by playing Terrence Holt and if availabe drafting Thomas Davis. Holt is always around the ball when playing and proved in his rookie season that he can cover some WRs. Davis would bring in that big hitter/playmaker the likes of Ed Reed, Sean Taylor and Roy Williams.

OL - This was one thing I really agreed with you on. Loverne play has been poor, Stocker may leave in FA but that might not be so bad, he has a tendency to get penalties at the worst times and as big as he is he should be more dominating, Backus has played ok but his weakness may have been exploited this year by the speed rushers, Woody has been steady but what I would like to see him push the rest of the OL more and Raiola started off poor but has turned it around these last few weeks and is playing better. I think the Lions will resign Raiola, hope to resign Stocker and will draft a OG in the 2nd round to replace Loverne and make Joyce a backup along with Butler and Rogers.

TE - While I would love for the Lions to have an TE like the one in SD or KC but with the WR we have if healthy I think Fitz will be good enough

DL - Has depth with two pro-bowlers in Rogers and Hall. If they draft someone I think they sould wait until the 3rd or 4th round.

LB - I think they are set at LB. Next year when Boss comes back I think Lehman will move to ILB with Boss playin SLB and Lewis or Davis playing WLB.

FB - Cory is good for a couple more years but they should be on the lookout for his replacement.

WR - I do not thinkl Tai will be back and I also think Az will have to have his contract restructured to stay. If Roy and Charles both stay healthy next year then I think the 3rd WR will be successful no matter who it is.

QB - I am in the minority as a Joey supporter but I think next year will be his turn around. Things will come together for him and he will excell. His backup will be a vetern like Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson but I don't think they should waste draft pick on someone when they are still evaluating Anes in the World league.[/b][/u]
russellt1229

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard charles woodson is going to be a FA... what are the chances the lions nab him? i know they have bly and bryant, but bly was hurt alot this year... is woodsons contract going to be too pricey?
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodson would cost to much. As much as I would like for him to come back he will cost more than Bly. The Lions have good starting CB's in Bly and Bryant and decent depth with Cash Goodman and Smith who I think will become a really good CB in the league. The money that would be spent on Woodsn would be better spent on a starting OG, WR depth, or if they could somehow pull it off Heap.
A2Wolves6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I don't believe that Woodson is going to be a Lion, or that Detroit has any interest whatsoever in bringing in another starting CB. The salaries that Bly and Bryant currently have are huge, and they can't afford another big contract at the position.
hotsauce3922

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: lions needs Reply with quote

The lions need a safety. Brock Marion was just a temporary replacement for the position. Either get Donovan Darius or get one from the draft. Thomas Davis or Jamaal Brimmer would be a great pickup. Getting Daruis would open other options in the draft, like getting an O- lineman and a tight end, or another LB.

Bryant is a good CB, but this year he has been injured and has not produced when he has been healthy. For his salary, I dont know if he is worth keeping.
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant is worth keeping. his contract is not as big as Bly's. If Bryant stays healthy and the safeties are replaced then Bryant will be just fine. Picking up Darius would be nice but youth and speed is what the Lions are looking for and building through the draft has been working out just fine. Hopefully the Lions will be able to and will draft Thomas Davis and then let him start next year along with Terrence Holt.
hotsauce3922

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Thomas Davis Reply with quote

Thomas Davis would be nice for this team. To finally get a hard-hitting, young, athletic safety. Mooch should start Terrence Holt this sunday to see what talent he's got at the position.
Most mock drafts have the Lions picking Erasmus James, David Pollack, or A. Rolle. I dont know why, I wouldn't mess up this good D-line. Safety is what they need, then maybe a tight end in the second round.
russellt1229

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the d-line is definatly the most solid part of their defense, maybe the LB's in a couple years when they are healthy
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TE can wait. I like Fitz even though he hasn't set the league a fire. With Rogers on one side and Williams on the other I believe that the Lions don't need a game breaker at TE. Second round I would like to see the Lions go OL maybe Baas or someone else to play guard. DL is set just resign Bell and Prichette and hopefully someone can light a fire under Kalimba's butt.
Gnrl Manchester

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O line is definitely a big problem for this team. I personally think moving Woody to center and trying to adjust the line around such a move is the best option. Woody was the only pro-bowl lineman for the Pats.

I good safety is a must have for this D, but I'm not sure a punishing hitter is better than a cover safety. When you have to play Randy Moss and the Vikes and Javon Walker and the Pack, I would rather have someone who can shutdown the passing game than someone who's going to knock the crap out of a receiver after a 20 yard gain.

And while they were older posts, don't discount Williams for dropping balls. I'm from Texas, and I recall a young receiver named Andre Johnson who couldn't hold on to the ball during his rookie year. Now look at him. Williams is a very special gift to have in receiving corp. Once he gets healthy and has a consistent #2 receiver in Rogers, he is going to give the NFC North secondaries nightmares for years to come.
mock04

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: lions Reply with quote

I would like to see the lions draft Ahmad Brooks from UVA he could replace Earl Holmes and fill a need for a rush end in passing situations
Dlions80

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last 2. Moving Woody to Center is a great idea, cause Raiola is not good. There are plenty of Guards in FA this year, sign one and draft one in the 3rd rd. Ahmad Brooks is the best pick for the Lions at #10! This guy can flat out Play! Most of you have not seen him play or heard of him. Also he's young! The best thing is his SPEED! Speed kills & that is what this D needs. I read where he even used to return punts. That's awsome! Don't get fooled by thinking Thomas Davis is the next Reed, Williams or Taylor, cause he's NOT! Not even close. a hard hitting safety is what every one wants now days. It's the sexy pick. I would prefer Brimmer or Shazor in the 2nd rd.
A2Wolves6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really worried that Brooks isn't going to come out though. I think he could be a great pick at #10, but all the other Virginia players with the exception of Brooks and Miller have said they wanted to stay in school. If he comes out, he would be a target, but we have a great LB core. Bailey and Lehman are locks for the next 4 years on the outside. Lewis and Davis both proved that they can play as starters, and we just re-signed Curry. An ILB is the missing part to that scenario, but Holmes will be fine for the next year until his contract is up. I'd wait to draft an ILB next year, rather than to draft one this year only to see situational duty out of him.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: