Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

it was 25 years ago today...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: it was 25 years ago today... Reply with quote

...the Herschel Walker Trade went down. yeah, we have to talk about it...

Crying or Very sad

Four games into the 1989 season, Jimmy Johnson, then head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, came up with the idea to trade Walker while on a morning jog with his staff. Johnson felt the Cowboys were so terrible that only a blockbuster trade could help them. He briefly considered trading wide receiver Michael Irvin to the Los Angeles Raiders, but Raiders owner Al Davis essentially talked Johnson out of the trade by saying, "You sure you want to do that? Who is going to catch passes for you?" Johnson felt that Walker was the only remaining bargaining chip they had.

A number of teams contacted the Cowboys when they announced that they would trade Walker. The New York Giants expressed interest, but the trade would have been unfavorable for Dallas since both teams were in the NFC East division. The Atlanta Falcons entered into negotiations, but eventually pulled out over fear of Walker's future contract demands. The most serious offer came from the Cleveland Browns.

Johnson stated, "[The Browns] offered us a player, a couple of future number one draft picks and three number two draft picks." The Cowboys felt this was a favorable offer, but they also felt that if another team were to enter the discussion, then they could generate a bidding war and thereby get even more compensation. Jimmy Johnson and team owner Jerry Jones decided to contact other clubs to generate buzz and create leverage. Johnson contacted Minnesota Vikings General Manager Mike Lynn. Johnson told Lynn that he was going to trade Walker to Cleveland that afternoon, and that if Minnesota would like to trade for Walker, then it would cost them "players, draft picks, conditional picks, and provisions", giving Lynn a deadline of 6:30 p.m. Lynn, feeling Walker was the missing piece to a Super Bowl run, faxed Johnson that he was interested, and soon after negotiations ensued. In order to get Walker to agree to a trade, the Cowboys paid him a $1.25 million "exit bonus"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

Nicknamed the "HWT" (Herschel Walker trade), Walker's trade was widely condemned considering what the Vikings had to give up in order to get him and remains one of the most frequently vilified roster moves of that team's history. Vikings coaches only reluctantly accepted Walker after the trade and never fully exploited his talents. From the moment he arrived in Minneapolis, "Herschel Mania" erupted. After a single 2˝ hour practice where he studied only 12 offensive plays, Walker had an incredible debut against the Green Bay Packers. He produced the best rushing game by a Viking back since 1983 and the first over-100 yard rushing performance by a Viking since 1987, gaining 148 yards on 18 carries.

He received three standing ovations from the record Metrodome crowd of 62,075, producing a Vikings win after four successive losses and 14 of the prior 18 matches with the Packers. His production thereafter declined. The team questioned his talent and commitment to football. He joined the Bobsled program of the United States Bobsled and Skeleton Federation, earning a berth in the 1992 Winter Olympics. Scout.com says, "Walker was never used properly by the coaching brain trust." Walker played for the Vikings for two and a half years, never amassing 1,000 rushing yards in a season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
wcblack34

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Lynn...never has a man gotten more while leaving a football team with so little.

Walker, the Metrodome suite deal...this man should be held in contempt by Vikings fans and given a spot in the Packer's Hall of Fame.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know draft picks weren't as valued then, but the fact that the vikes gm never did a what if Dallas cuts everbody scenario, before trading is terrible. Thanks for the 3 rings.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, how Lynn agreed to a deal where the Cowboys get more picks when cutting the players we already gave them I will never understand.

What a completely moronic thing to do.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For young people who don't remember this trade, it's easy to look at what we gave up and how it turned out, to conclude that it was a horrible move.

In spite of how it turned out, I still like Mike Lynn's willingness to take a big risk. At the time, we had a beastly defense, with Chris Doleman and Keith Millard at the top of their game. It seemed like a weak running game was what was keeping us from getting over the hump to reach the Super Bowl.

At the time, I liked the move because it was the first time in the history of the team that we actually had an elite talent at the RB position. I know some people will say that Chuck Foreman was good. He was decent, but he wasn't on the level of a guy like Walker. At the time it was a real a thrill to have one of the best players in the league added to the roster.

Why did it fail? I think the article that VD posted covered both of the causes.

1) I've heard it said that Head Coach Jerry Burns was unwilling to put Herschel into sets that would enhance his abilities. Burnsie was a stubborn old goat when he wanted to be.

2) In that first game, we saw what Hershel was capable of. After that, I always got the feeling that he wasn't putting in 100% effort. At the time, I thought it was possibly because he had made a ton of money and didn't want to risk getting hurt. Ultimately, we will probably never know why he wasn't as effective in Minnesota as he had been previously.

After waiting so long to finally get Herschel Walker, and then seeing how it turned out, it was great when the 2007 draft rolled around. Adrian Peterson was known to run with a lot of passion and determination, and he sure didn't disappoint.

Then, after even more years of watching the greatness of Walter Payton and Barry Sanders in the division, we finally had one of our own who was on that level!

AD's status is not looking good, but I'm still holding out hope that he can get his legal issues straightened out finish his career in purple!

A big thanks to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig! ^ ^

Boltstrikes wrote:
Being the best quarterback of 2014 does not make you the GOAT.
resilient

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Murray (the current best RB in the NFL) to replace your former best RB Peterson, for the same draft picks again?

You guys are due to get this one right Very Happy
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
I know some people will say that Chuck Foreman was good. He was decent...

Foreman was named NFC player of the year by The Sporting News in 1974 and by UPI in 1976. He was named All-Pro in 1975 and played in five consecutive Pro Bowls (1973–1977). Foreman had 3 straight seasons rushing for 1,000+ yards (1975–1977) and scored a then NFC record 22 Touchdowns in 14 games during the 1975 campaign. Foreman just missed a rare NFC 'Triple Crown' (rushing yards, receptions & TDs) in 1975 as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Foreman

if that just describes a "decent" and "good" running back, then you have awfully high standards!

Wink

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
Mike Lynn...never has a man gotten more while leaving a football team with so little.

Walker, the Metrodome suite deal...this man should be held in contempt by Vikings fans and given a spot in the Packer's Hall of Fame.

May he not rest in peace...well, I'm not actually that cruel, but Lynn made out like a bandit because of the circus surrounding ownership of the franchise. I always held him in contempt.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Irv Cross saying on the CBS Pre-Game show, after the Walker trade was announced that the Vikings now have a team that will be odds on favorites to win the Super Bowl. I knew then, it was the kiss of death!

Yesterday on the Fox pre-game show, Jimmy Johnson was "reminiscing" with James Brown how the trade went down. Really, he was gloating! I was tempted to throw my cat at the TV!!! Evil or Very Mad

I must say, I have always felt bad for Walker. Burns refused to use Walker correctly. He needed to be in a power I formation and the Vikings just didn't use that formation a lot. Walker never complained, and was the consummate team first guy. I have seen him of TV recently....he and I are about the same age...but he looks like he could suit up and be effective today! Maybe the Vikes should give him a second look as the replacement for Peterson!?!
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back, Minnesota's biggest need was at QB, in my opinion. Wade Wilson wasn't that spectacular, and Tommy Kramer was near the end of the line.

I hate to say it, but trading with Atlanta for Jeff George would have been way better than the Walker trade was. Then, they did draft a guy that year in the later rounds (10th, I think) to play RB. His name: Terry Allen. They also could have had guys like Barry Foster and Chris Warren in later rounds.

In my opinion, though, this all goes back to the Week 15 game in 1987 when Dallas knocked the Cards out of the playoffs, and put Minnesota in. If the Cards win that game, the Vikes don't make that run. If they don't, do they have the same confidence to assume that they are one player away two years later? Maybe not. Dallas may have been playing for their future powerhouse on that day, and they didn't even know it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: