Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Snooze News thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Another couple of nuggets, the Vikings have never beaten Tom Brady...the Vikings haven't beaten the Patriots since 2000.

I'm hoping thats not a December game. That would be unfair.

I think I'd actually prefer it to be a December game, because that would neutralize any ability for Brady to pass it downfield.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Buccaneers player has contracted MRSA. This comes after Carl Nicks reportedly suffered a re-occurrence of the disease.

As of now, the Bucs haven't released the name of the player.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Another Buccaneers player has contracted MRSA. This comes after Carl Nicks reportedly suffered a re-occurrence of the disease.

As of now, the Bucs haven't released the name of the player.

I've heard its Johnathan Banks
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the name that's been leaked, and was what I had originally put in my post until I saw the source. As of now the Buccaneers have not released the name.

The person who did, violated HIPAA.
Krauser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRSA often colonizes the skin/nose/etc, just like the regular non-methicillin-resistant version of Staph aureus does, without causing infection: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/Epidemiology/Surveillance/MRSA/#ColonizationvsInfection

Staph bacteria are ubiquitous and next to impossible to eradicate. Once they're in an environment (Bucs locker room in this case) they can spread from person to person -- producing colonization, usually not infection. Colonization is not usually treated.

The trouble with colonization is that if an MRSA colonized person develops a skin infection (or some other infection across the skin, like endocarditis from IV drug use), the bacteria is MRSA, which is much harder to treat than plain old Staph.

NFL players have a high risk of skin breakdown from injury and wear and tear in play/practice so they probably have a high incidence of minor skin infections anyway. With typical skin flora (colonized bacteria) this wouldn't usually be a big deal, but with MRSA in the mix it would be much more dangerous.

The only way we can control MRSA in the hospital setting is to quarantine patients in their own rooms, have all staff wear disposable gowns/gloves when dealing with them, and then sterilize all surfaces after the patient is discharged (more than the usual hospital cleaning standard).

If the Bucs are going to control this infection they may have to screen all players and staff for MRSA colonization, remove those that are colonized and treat them to eradicate that colonization even without ongoing infection (which means big gun IV antibiotics like vancomycin), then sterilize everything anyone contaminated might have touched.

Big problem.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
MRSA often colonizes the skin/nose/etc, just like the regular non-methicillin-resistant version of Staph aureus does, without causing infection: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/Epidemiology/Surveillance/MRSA/#ColonizationvsInfection

Staph bacteria are ubiquitous and next to impossible to eradicate. Once they're in an environment (Bucs locker room in this case) they can spread from person to person -- producing colonization, usually not infection. Colonization is not usually treated.

The trouble with colonization is that if an MRSA colonized person develops a skin infection (or some other infection across the skin, like endocarditis from IV drug use), the bacteria is MRSA, which is much harder to treat than plain old Staph.

NFL players have a high risk of skin breakdown from injury and wear and tear in play/practice so they probably have a high incidence of minor skin infections anyway. With typical skin flora (colonized bacteria) this wouldn't usually be a big deal, but with MRSA in the mix it would be much more dangerous.

The only way we can control MRSA in the hospital setting is to quarantine patients in their own rooms, have all staff wear disposable gowns/gloves when dealing with them, and then sterilize all surfaces after the patient is discharged (more than the usual hospital cleaning standard).

If the Bucs are going to control this infection they may have to screen all players and staff for MRSA colonization, remove those that are colonized and treat them to eradicate that colonization even without ongoing infection (which means big gun IV antibiotics like vancomycin), then sterilize everything anyone contaminated might have touched.

Big problem.

I hope Freeman didn't bring any of that with him. Shocked
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
That's the name that's been leaked, and was what I had originally put in my post until I saw the source. As of now the Buccaneers have not released the name.

The person who did, violated HIPAA.

If they were basing it on the fact that he was the only player not at practice, is it really a HIPAA violation though?
Krauser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Krauser wrote:

Big problem.

I hope Freeman didn't bring any of that with him. Shocked

In my business he'd get a nasal swab as a screening test.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that the Bucs tried to keep Freeman away from the team as much as they could and Freeman didnt care to be around them, maybe he is safe. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy I thought would be the best receiver in this draft, despite his injury and poor workouts has 11 / 195 / 1 TD in his last two games. That player is... Keenan Allen.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing tore his ACL last season, the team's defense fell apart. It looks like the Texans will have to deal with a similar obstacle this year.

NFL Media's Albert Breer has been told by Texans linebacker Brian Cushing that he believes he tore his LCL and broke his leg. Cushing believes he needs surgery and is thought to be done for the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000266545/article/brian-cushings-season-believed-to-be-over-for-texans

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford hurt his knee during Sunday's loss at Carolina, and two team sources told Silver they believe Bradford suffered a severe injury. Bradford will undergo an MRI on Monday. One source says he's "90 percent sure it's not good" and another source says the mood around the injury is "very negative." It sounds like there is risk of Bradford missing the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000266685/article/tim-tebow-to-st-louis-rams-discussed-but-unlikely

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt be surprised if that is the last we see of Bradford as a starting QB in St. Louis. This was a make or break season for him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I wouldnt be surprised if that is the last we see of Bradford as a starting QB in St. Louis. This was a make or break season for him.

what would the cap hit be if he is cut after this year? no way he stays on the roster as a backup with his salary.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got around $10.2M left in dead money, but his base salary of next year is a little over $14M

They would save money by cutting him, they could save even more by designating him as a post june 1st cut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 48 of 68

Jump to: