Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Snooze News thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
As NFL teams become more and more profitable, they also become more and more valuable. As one league source with detailed knowledge of the manner in which league ownership works tells PFT, theyíll eventually become too valuable for one person or family to own.

Under prior (and possibly current) rules, a single family must own at least 30 percent of a team, with at least one individual in the family owning 10 percent. That rule arose from the reconfiguration of the Steelersí ownership, with several members of the family who acquired legal gaming interests that conflicted with league rules selling out, and with Art Rooney II and Dan Rooney emerging as 15-percent owners who were welded together into one 30-percent stake.

In 2011, the NFL considered dropping the minimum per-family requirement to 25 percent. Itís unclear whether the reduction was adopted.

Regardless of whether the minimum ownership stake per family is now 25 percent or 30 percent, the ever-increasing value of franchise will require further changes to the rules, because there eventually wonít be enough families with the assets to acquire a team, or with the extra cash to pay the estate taxes when the person owning the 10-percent stake passes.

Itís unclear when the problem will reach critical mass, and itís unknown how the NFL will deal with the situation. The easy answer will be to keep dropping the percentages for a single person or family. This will require each family to find more and more minority owners to hold the rest of the team.

At some point, the possibility of corporate ownership will have to be considered ó along with the prospect of making each team a publicly-traded corporation with shares of stock worth more than the frame-ready certificate on which the small piece of ownership is printed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/19/franchise-values-could-spark-major-changes-to-ownership-structures/

The problem reached 'critical mass' decades ago. Evidence: Tom Clancy, Reggie Fowler. Those 2 examples point to problems the NFL didn't anticipate until the economic meltdown of 2008 reduced some sports team owners net worth to problematic levels; e.g. NY Mets owners problem.

I wonder whether or not the NFL ever had the properly qualified people in place to assess ownership financing issues and set reasonable ownership requirements. I'm referring to Financial Risk Managers who are best trained and prepared to address such issues.

We saw an example of the effects of this financing problem during the political debate over financing the Valhalladium, and in the dozen years leading up to it.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fully clear, while I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, there was no real clear problem with Reggie Fowler, other than he didn't want to produce his financial situation clearly. That's why Zygi stepped up. Reggie Fowler is still, to this day, a limited partner. It's his group that owns this franchise, it's just that Zygi is now the general partner instead of him.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Belichick says that when you watch a football game, even if youíre watching the all-22 coachesí tape, itís difficult to know which players did their jobs unless you know the teamís playbook well enough to be aware of every playerís assignment on every play. Belichick says the only people who have that knowledge are in the teamís locker room, and he suggested that there are a lot of so-called experts who donít know as much as they think they know.

Belichick said that when heís watching film of opposing teams, he routinely sees plays where he knows a mistake was made, but he doesnít know who made the mistake. If a blitzing linebacker comes untouched between the center and the guard and sacks the quarterback, you know someone on the offense made a mistake, but you donít know if the center or the guard who was supposed to block the linebacker, or if a running back was supposed to pick up the blitz, or if the quarterback was supposed to recognize the blitz and get the ball away faster.

Belichick: ďI donít know how you can know that unless youíre really part of the team and know exactly what was supposed to happen on that play. I know there are a lot of experts out there that have it all figured out but I definitely donít. Iíve watched plenty of preseason games this time of year and youíre looking at all the other teams in the league and you try to evaluate players and youíre watching the teams that weíre going to play early in the season and there are plenty of plays where I have no idea what went wrong.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/18/belichick-takes-a-shot-at-experts-who-have-it-all-figured-out/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
wcblack34

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Bill Belichick says that when you watch a football game, even if youíre watching the all-22 coachesí tape, itís difficult to know which players did their jobs unless you know the teamís playbook well enough to be aware of every playerís assignment on every play. Belichick says the only people who have that knowledge are in the teamís locker room, and he suggested that there are a lot of so-called experts who donít know as much as they think they know.

Belichick said that when heís watching film of opposing teams, he routinely sees plays where he knows a mistake was made, but he doesnít know who made the mistake. If a blitzing linebacker comes untouched between the center and the guard and sacks the quarterback, you know someone on the offense made a mistake, but you donít know if the center or the guard who was supposed to block the linebacker, or if a running back was supposed to pick up the blitz, or if the quarterback was supposed to recognize the blitz and get the ball away faster.

Belichick: ďI donít know how you can know that unless youíre really part of the team and know exactly what was supposed to happen on that play. I know there are a lot of experts out there that have it all figured out but I definitely donít. Iíve watched plenty of preseason games this time of year and youíre looking at all the other teams in the league and you try to evaluate players and youíre watching the teams that weíre going to play early in the season and there are plenty of plays where I have no idea what went wrong.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/18/belichick-takes-a-shot-at-experts-who-have-it-all-figured-out/

Pfffft...get out of here with your logic and reason!
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess Bill is suggesting that no one analyzes a football game at all, we should just listen to guys like Buck and Aikman?
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
So I guess Bill is suggesting that no one analyzes a football game at all, we should just listen to guys like Buck and Aikman?

Collinsworth and Madden. Stating the obvious is the way to go.

"You can see that this blitz turned into a sack because of the way the linebacker tackled the quarterback"

It would be mind-blowing analysis.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did understand why Madden was so revered as an analyst. He truly was the Master of the Obvious. I don't know if I ever learned a thing listening to his "analysis."

Thx to Uncle Buck!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 20s
Trades galore! RT @Browns: BREAKING: The Browns have acquired guard/center John Moffitt from Seattle for defensive lineman Brian Sanford.

This offseason has had more minor player for player trades than I can remember from the recent pass.

Moffitt for Sanford
AJ Jenkins for Jon Baldwin

there was another that escapes me at the moment.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Seattle's approach of trading off busts to other teams before they are cut or there contracts expire. Get something back at least.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I like Seattle's approach of trading off busts to other teams before they are cut or there contracts expire. Get something back at least.

Sanford is unlikely to make the roster, but I agree; it's at least worth a shot.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Quote:
Trades galore! RT @Browns: BREAKING: The Browns have acquired guard/center John Moffitt from Seattle for defensive lineman Brian Sanford.

This offseason has had more minor player for player trades than I can remember from the recent pass.

Moffitt for Sanford

Didn't you previously dismiss my suggestion of trading Gerhart for a player, saying that player-for-player trades are scarce in the NFL?

So, is this trend going to continue? Or is there no trend upward in player-for-player trades, and you are just forgetful of the moderate number of such deals?
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Player for player trades are still rather scarce in the NFL...and in the case of AJ Jenkins, there was already talk of him not even making the 49ers roster as a first round pick from a year ago and Baldwin is a non-factor as well. There's never been any question that Gerhart is going to make the roster.

Just a couple of trades of minor players who might not have even made their existing roster does not signify any kind of trend.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
Quote:

Moffitt for Sanford

Didn't you previously dismiss my suggestion of trading Gerhart for a player, saying that player-for-player trades are scarce in the NFL?

So, is this trend going to continue? Or is there no trend upward in player-for-player trades, and you are just forgetful of the moderate number of such deals?

I did dismiss the trading of Gerhart because deals like that rarely do happen. The player for player trades have been for fringe roster players.

The other trade was Nate Menkin for Jeff Maehl which was a deal for familiarity with Maehl going back to his old coach in Chip Kelly. The Vikings made a similar such move trading Hank Baskett for Billy McMullen.

Despite what some people say about him, Gerhart is an established player in the league with the ability to be a solid third down back and spell the main back. In my mind he's still very unlikely to be moved for a player, if at all.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch one of those off the list...

Quote:
Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the trade sending Moffitt from the Seahawks to the Browns in exchange for defensive lineman Brian Sanford has been voided. Per Cabot, the Browns had some concerns about Moffittís health so they decided to call the whole thing off and retain Sanford rather than add another injured guard to the mix.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/20/trade-sending-john-moffitt-to-cleveland-is-voided/

Thx to Uncle Buck!
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Scratch one of those off the list...

Quote:
Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the trade sending Moffitt from the Seahawks to the Browns in exchange for defensive lineman Brian Sanford has been voided. Per Cabot, the Browns had some concerns about Moffittís health so they decided to call the whole thing off and retain Sanford rather than add another injured guard to the mix.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/20/trade-sending-john-moffitt-to-cleveland-is-voided/

So Moffitt was then traded to Denver for a back-up defensive linemen.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 43 of 100

Jump to: