Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Snooze News thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krauser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell if you're joking here. If putting Craig Morton in a salt shaker is a pun on Morton Salt, hats off.

Inventing a new term is only an achievement if it catches on, because language is determined by usage. If your post here starts a trend and 30 years from now everyone says "that thread was sacked" instead of "that thread was locked", you'll be rightly recognized as the originator.

That seems unlikely, because we already have a verb, "to lock" / "locked", which means exactly the same thing as your version of "sacked" (so much so that the only definition you offer of "sacked" is "locked"). Not many new terms are pure synonyms for an existing word.

"Sacked" in football terminology added something useful beyond the older concept of "tackled", because it captured something about the game: defensive linemen were trying to tackle the QB behind the LOS before he could get the pass off, but when they did so, there wasn't any precise single word to explain what happened. The creation of the term "sacked" helped recognize the value of what Deacon Jones and players like him brought to their teams.

More recently, "stuffed", meaning a tackle of a non-QB ballcarrier at the LOS or for negative yards, has added similar conceptual value, and is being tracked by some statistics sites. If it turns out that Pat Williams was the first guy to use word in that specific sense, he'd deserve credit for it.

My point about the noun/verb distinction is that an English speaker in the late 60s / early 70s already had a couple of versions of the verb "to sack" / "sacked" -- the British slang for being fired, the historical word meaning plundering -- that (I imagine) would likely come to mind before the idea of putting the QB in a bag, so the Marv Levy story about the moment of the word's creation seems unlikely.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New England Patriots have released TE Aaron Hernandez.

http://twitter.com/Patriots/statuses/349894951775125504

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a good pick up for the Vikes even though he has some minor character issues.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sarcasm meter imploded.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Patriots have released tight end Aaron Hernandez, roughly 90 minutes after he was arrested on a charge that has not yet been identified.

“A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss,” the Patriots announced. “Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”

The move prevents the Patriots from ever recovering a penny of the $12.5 million signing bonus from his 2012 contract extension worth a total of $39 million. It remains to be seen whether the Patriots will try to avoid paying $3.25 million in a deferred payment due on March 31, 2014, and whether they’ll try to wipe out base-salary guaranteed of $1.323 million in 2013 and $1.137 million in 2014.

Then again, the Patriots may not care about the money. They’re making a strong statement that they have no use for Hernandez, which makes us wonder what the NFL and the Patriots have learned via their own investigations regarding the murder of Odin Lloyd and Hernandez’s behavior in its aftermath.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/26/patriots-dump-aaron-hernandez/

Webmaster wrote:
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the NFLPA might have an issue with the Patriots' releasing of Hernandez before he has even had his day in court.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I suspect that the NFLPA might have an issue with the Patriots' releasing of Hernandez before he has even had his day in court.

they aren't attempting to recoup any money on his contract so I don't think the NFLPA has any say

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Adopt A Viking: Brian Robison

GS: 9 TKLS: 15 SK: 3.0 FF: 0 FR: 1 TD: 1 PD: 2
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
disaacs wrote:

they aren't attempting to recoup any money on his contract so I don't think the NFLPA has any say

You're probably right on that instance, although I imagine they still don't like players being released for non-performance reasons.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
marshpit23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Hernandez charged with murder!

Former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, arrested and led out of his North Attleboro home in handcuffs by police this morning, was charged with murder and firearms charges Attleboro District Court for his arraignment.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/06/aaron_hernandez_charged_with_murder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this new information,I now suspect the NFLPA won't even discuss the release at all publicly. They'll want to stay away from it at all costs. Wink

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hernandez has no business in the NFL at this point, there shouldnt be a case for wrongful release. he obviously has more urgent issues to address and its easy for the Pats to prefer to stay out of this completely. at least he is no longer there problem, and they dont have to be there to support him or deal with the media attention. he is gone from the organization.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL and other merchandise-sellers have decided to forego cashing in on the murder charges against Aaron Hernandez. According to USA Today, the league quickly decided to no longer sell his number 81 Patriots jersey online, though it was shown as available on their website briefly this morning, after he was arrested.

“We decided it was the appropriate step to take,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/26/nfl-no-longer-selling-aaron-hernandez-jerseys/

Webmaster wrote:
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, he's only been arrested, not convicted. I thought we applauded the Vikings for not cutting Cook, and now we are saying Hernandez has no business in the NFL?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Wait, he's only been arrested, not convicted. I thought we applauded the Vikings for not cutting Cook, and now we are saying Hernandez has no business in the NFL?

he's a suspect in a first degree MURDER case, PCP. and yes, legally innocent at this time, but with some very strong evidence against him. so much so that a judge is holding him incarcerated without bail.

equating his situation with Cook's, just because both were accused of a crime, is not a fair comparison.

Webmaster wrote:
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Hard to tell if you're joking here. If putting Craig Morton in a salt shaker is a pun on Morton Salt, hats off.

Inventing a new term is only an achievement if it catches on, because language is determined by usage. If your post here starts a trend and 30 years from now everyone says "that thread was sacked" instead of "that thread was locked", you'll be rightly recognized as the originator.

That seems unlikely, because we already have a verb, "to lock" / "locked", which means exactly the same thing as your version of "sacked" (so much so that the only definition you offer of "sacked" is "locked"). Not many new terms are pure synonyms for an existing word.

"Sacked" in football terminology added something useful beyond the older concept of "tackled", because it captured something about the game: defensive linemen were trying to tackle the QB behind the LOS before he could get the pass off, but when they did so, there wasn't any precise single word to explain what happened. The creation of the term "sacked" helped recognize the value of what Deacon Jones and players like him brought to their teams.

More recently, "stuffed", meaning a tackle of a non-QB ballcarrier at the LOS or for negative yards, has added similar conceptual value, and is being tracked by some statistics sites. If it turns out that Pat Williams was the first guy to use word in that specific sense, he'd deserve credit for it.

My point about the noun/verb distinction is that an English speaker in the late 60s / early 70s already had a couple of versions of the verb "to sack" / "sacked" -- the British slang for being fired, the historical word meaning plundering -- that (I imagine) would likely come to mind before the idea of putting the QB in a bag, so the Marv Levy story about the moment of the word's creation seems unlikely.

That salt shaker was Purplexactly my point about Morton.

Ever hear of Craig Salt Co.? Neither did I.

IIRC, the words used in the article, which I skimmed through last week referred to Deacon Jones saying the Fearsome Foursome would 'pour Morton into a sack'. Recall the ad slogan of Morton salt from that era through today is "When it rains, it pours."

I understand 'locked' is commonly used for a mod abruptly ending 'write access' to a thread.

But 'sacked' also works as an alternative to 'locked'. That is all I attempted to demonstrate. However, the widespread use of 'locked' likely means my attempt to replace or supplement it is effectively... sacked. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 40 of 68

Jump to: