You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thoughts on today's events....so far
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulwall911

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on today's events....so far Reply with quote

-Vinny C now runs the team with Dan Snyder...can you say Wide Receiver in round 1 and restricted free agent signings?

-Fassel takes over Al Saunders' job as offensive coordinator...does anyone really care about Jason Campbell in that front office?

-Fassel fills in for Gibbs as head coach....will Al Saunders be able to take away play calling duties from Fassell when he runs this team into the ground like Billick did to him in Baltimore?

-Anyone see us trading our entire draft and next years 1st round pick for Julius Peppers?

-If the Skins sign Fassel or a coach of his similar credentials then i'm going to wash my hands with the Redskins until Snyder is forced out of office. I'm so frustrated as a skins fan i can't even put it into words! Since the womb i've been bleeding burgandy and gold and i just feel like Snyder is lost.

Mad props to big_palooka
Check his gallery at
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5089361#5089361
a2piece89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we finally get our offense running close to the way we want it to after what seems like a decade and the front office wants to [inappropriate/removed] it all up. this is bull. I should egg snyder's house, he lives down the street from me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a2piece89 wrote:
we finally get our offense running close to the way we want it to after what seems like a decade and the front office wants to - it all up. this is bull. I should egg snyder's house, he lives down the street from me.

Have you ever met him? or any of the players?

Rusty Nail on the sig
RIP Sean Taylor
a2piece89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShOwMeMyOpPoNeT wrote:
a2piece89 wrote:
we finally get our offense running close to the way we want it to after what seems like a decade and the front office wants to - it all up. this is bull. I should egg snyder's house, he lives down the street from me.

Yea I was at my friend adam's house riding atvs and he lives right on river road, gated community, he's got the little guards at the end of the driveway. call me if you decide to you want to egg it Laughing

gibbs,smoot,boschetti,hoag,laron,seantay,daniels,moss not at snyder's house though Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a2piece89 wrote:
ShOwMeMyOpPoNeT wrote:
a2piece89 wrote:

Yea I was at my friend adam's house riding atvs and he lives right on river road, gated community, he's got the little guards at the end of the driveway. call me if you decide to you want to egg it Laughing

gibbs,smoot,boschetti,hoag,laron,seantay,daniels,moss not at snyder's house though Laughing

I'm down what's your number? Laughing Laughing

Rusty Nail on the sig
RIP Sean Taylor
Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things just get worse and worse...

Sig by Mike23md

"Don't need the accolades, just need the acknowledgement"
ShOwMeMyOpPoNeT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
Things just get worse and worse...

Yea just like the franchise. IMO Cerrato is good for the next 2 or 3 seasons but after that we are not going to have depth and we are going to be an aging team.

Rusty Nail on the sig
RIP Sean Taylor
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a place for "thoughts," here is a "thought" I just had.

Given that Snyder has seemed to covet Cowher for some time, could it be that he is actually NOT looking for a long-term coach? In other words, Cowher told Danny that he doesn't want to coach until 2009, and so Danny is looking for a "place-holder" of sorts until that time? He'll hire this guy, then let him go when Cowher comes available, not unlike what he did with Marty when Spurrier became available.

It seems pretty unlikely, but it WOULD explain in some ways why Mora withdrew his name from the search when it seemed an offer might be getting close, as he may have decided he didn't want to be a temporary head coach. It also explains why they'd go for a stiff like Fassel instead of getting a coach who would actually be, you know, good for the team.

I realize it's all kind of conspiratorial, and all, but does anyone think there is a chance Danny is actively eschewing long-term options in favor of guys that he can rid of when Cowher is finally ready?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure. If that were the case, wouldn't Snyder just go ahead and hire Williams for the job. He's already in-house, and it would give him one year to evaluate Williams as a head coach. If Williams does an oustanding job his first year, then he would be in a great position to keep him on. If not, and Williams fails in his first year, he could then easily fire him and hire someone else, like Cowher.

I think everybody agrees that the best overall decision here would be to hire Williams as head coach. Evaluate him for one year. If he doesn't meet the expectations or goals Snyder has for him, then bring someone else in. But don't blow up the whole thing and fire Williams and Saunders both. The 'Skins have been Top 10 in defense three of the four years he's been here. 2006 was not his fault, or he would have been Top 10 all four years. I think Williams has earned the right to be the next head coach, and not just for continuity. He's produced results.

But we have to understand one very important thing here: He's only done this as a defensive coordinator, not as a head coach. That's a very important distinction that needs to be made. Many a DC or OC have turned out to be miserable head coaches, and that may be just what Snyder is thinking. He may not be as sold on Williams as we are. And he could be right.

Last edited by Redskins33 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
footy_29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote e "Since this is a place for "thoughts," here is a "thought" I just had."

What if Fassel really is the solution and a good fit.

I mean you take out the injury riddled season at the end of his tenure and he is 54-41-1 with three playoff seasons and a superbowl appearance.

He's known to develop quarterbacks and Saunders is not. Jason has a ton of potential but still needs a lot of teaching to reach that potential. What better way to secure the future of the organization than to improve the pieces you have.

The only thing I really liked about Saunders system was that he incorporated portis into the passing game and a few trick plays.

And yes it would suck to see Williams leave, but if Fassel can convince Rex Ryan to come aboard it can't replace Williams but heck it sure doesn't hurt to have him.

The downside is that you would see a lot of the staff let go or choose to leave.
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins33 wrote:
I'm not so sure. If that were the case, wouldn't Snyder just go ahead and hire Williams for the job. He's already in-house, and it would give him one year to evaluate Williams as a head coach. If Williams does an oustanding job his first year, then he would be in a great position to keep him on. If not, and Williams fails in his first year, he could then easily fire him and hire someone else, like Cowher.

I think you're probably right. The only reason I can come up with is that maybe GW thinks he has earned a full-time gig, and Danny is only willing to give him a try-out of sorts. That essentially GW, like Mora, is unwilling to take a job that is likely to be a short-term gig.

I guess it's pretty doubtful. I'm just trying to come up with a reason for this pursuit other than "Danny has a man-crush on Fassel and has for years..."

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
The downside is that you would see a lot of the staff let go or choose to leave.

ITYM damn near every coach.
Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, what schemes do Ryan and Fassel run. Are they fitting to the personnel we currently have in place or would we need to do alot of rebuilding which could cost picks and established players.

Sig by Mike23md

"Don't need the accolades, just need the acknowledgement"
Redskins33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
To quote e "Since this is a place for "thoughts," here is a "thought" I just had."

What if Fassel really is the solution and a good fit.

I mean you take out the injury riddled season at the end of his tenure and he is 54-41-1 with three playoff seasons and a superbowl appearance.

He's known to develop quarterbacks and Saunders is not. Jason has a ton of potential but still needs a lot of teaching to reach that potential. What better way to secure the future of the organization than to improve the pieces you have.

The only thing I really liked about Saunders system was that he incorporated portis into the passing game and a few trick plays.

And yes it would suck to see Williams leave, but if Fassel can convince Rex Ryan to come aboard it can't replace Williams but heck it sure doesn't hurt to have him.

Footy, I completely agree with what you've said. I am not as down on the potential of Fassel being hired as many are on this board. I think he is a quality coach. I'm as surprised as anyone that his name surfaced today because he has not been a head coach since 2000, but he could be the right choice. I'm trying to keep an open mind about this, and I think my fellow 'Skin brethren should as well. Think of how many "fresh faces" have been hired as head coaches that had little to no head coaching experience in this league--Mike Nolan, Jim Mora, Mangini, Petrino, et al). And think how many (most!) have failed. By contrast, Fassel has actually been pretty successful.

Furthermore, who actually has a better record as an NFL head coach? Fassel or Williams? I mean, we all think Williams is the answer, but why? When hiring a new coach, everyone always looks for someone with a proven track record of winning, or some other major accomplishment. If judging a coach by his win-loss record is any indication of how good a coach might be, then Williams would be judged a failure. Yet, we're all singing his praises. Not only did Fassel have a better winning percentage; he also took his team to the Super Bowl and developed two franchise QBs during his long coaching career, John Elway and Phil Simms, both of whom won Super Bowls. Even though I'm no fan of Kerry Collins, he did coach him to the Super Bowl as well.

Williams has done none of that. He's just assuming, maybe even in an arrogant way that has rubbed Snyder the wrong way, that he is "entitled" to be the next head coach.

Again, I'm only speculating, just like everyone else. I like Gregg Williams and think he is as qualified as anyone to be our next head coach. And for the sake of continuity and the quality of defenses he's put on the field, he is, in probably all of our minds, the top candidate for the job. But I think Jim Fassel is also worthy of consideration and should not be dismissed. He could well be our next head coach. There are a lot of factors that go into the hiring of a new coach. These guys are analyzed extensively. I can make a case for either one. But if Williams is not named the next head coach, we have to realize that there is probably a very good reason why. Call it arrogance, lack of people skills, lack of real leadership, the kind of leadership that will get this team to the next level, questionable coaching philosphy, etc. There are a number of things that could prevent him from being hired.

Don't dismiss Fassel out of hand. He's a quality candidate. He has very good leadership skills, an excellent analytical/football mind, and a proven method for developing young QBs. I just think too many people on here are dismissing him without truly giving him fair consideration.
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice posts, footy and 33. I have to say, while I'm still not in favor of bringing Fassel in, you've at least opened my mind to the possibility.

The guy has accomplished some impressive things in the league, and that shouldn't be brushed under the rug. He's a former NFL coach of the year, and he took the Giants to 3 playoff berths and 2 division titles in a 6 year span. He's not a bum, by any means.

I guess I just don't really understand why his name popped up NOW, after he's pretty much been off the radar for years, except for a miserable failure as Ravens' OC. In my mind, the two most recent memories I have of Fassel are his getting fired by his best friend with the Ravens, and his losing the locker room in New York. While I think those failures can't be forgotten, you guys are right in saying that we also shouldn't neglect to consider his successes with the GMen.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: