Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Strum Speaks - Great picture of Jerry
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Strum Speaks - Great picture of Jerry Reply with quote

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-morning-after-eagles-24-cowboys-22.html

Quote:
And that is why on a morning like this one, given that I have been at this keyboard typing a "Morning After" summary for every Cowboys game going back years and years, I am almost speechless knowing that it must all be repeated again. Another few weeks of aftermath is coming where the public wants a significant change in the organization, ranging from the unrealistic hope that the owner/general manager/dictator steps aside, to something a bit more possible like yet another head coach finally being led to the public gallows. Then, whatever change happens (if any at all), we work our ways into the normal routine of the Senior Bowl, the NFL Playoffs (where surely we can rationalize some franchise who is going on a run being like the Cowboys in some way which will offer hope to how close this organization actually is if one play goes a little different and maybe Kyle Orton throws a slightly better pass to Miles Austin on the final drive).

Quote:
The Cowboys did many things on Sunday night that are worthy of your admiration, partly because the Eagles are unstoppable to most NFL defenses. Meanwhile, the Cowboys couldn't stop anyone all season, including quite a list of backup Quarterbacks, and somehow still were able to stop the Eagles in 2 different games.

In 2 game, the Cowboys allowed the Eagles just 27 total points. In the 14 other games for Chip Kelly and his offense, they averaged 29.6 points PER game. Also, only 4 times all season were the Eagles held below 400 yards. Twice, however, to Monte Kiffin and this defense made up of castaways and castaway understudies.

Quote:
That is the margin for error. Like the ball lost in the lights in 2011 to Miles or the fingertips of Dez landing out of bounds in 2012, the distance between the Cowboys and the NFC East divisional title is no wider than the width of a piece of paper.

And yet it exists.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is, we should have never been in this do or die situation to begin with. We went 5-1 in our division. We led the NFC East for months and had the 3rd seed locked up until Thanksgiving. We blew big leads to teams like Det and GB and choked away games to Den and KC.

If we would have just taken care of buisness during the regular season, we would not have been in this situation yet again.

You see, that is what really good teams do. They do not put themselves in vulnerable places where it is all on the line before the playoffs even begin. We had those opportunities and let them get away from us. Just like the losing of the ball in the lights, or Dez's finger out of bounds.

Those types of plays, losing the ball in the lights/ Dez's finger etc, are going to happen regardless. So to avoid the 50/50 on it, you simply win your division and lock up your playoff seed BEFORE week 17. We had it, it was right there for the taking and we pi$$ed it away.

Hence we are not a good team. We let multiple opportunities slip away only to be faaced with this win and in situation again, only to lose again.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is, we should have never been in this do or die situation to begin with. We went 5-1 in our division. We led the NFC East for months and had the 3rd seed locked up until Thanksgiving. We blew big leads to teams like Det and GB and choked away games to Den and KC.

If we would have just taken care of buisness during the regular season, we would not have been in this situation yet again.

You see, that is what really good teams do. They do not put themselves in vulnerable places where it is all on the line before the playoffs even begin. We had those opportunities and let them get away from us. Just like the losing of the ball in the lights, or Dez's finger out of bounds.

Those types of plays, losing the ball in the lights/ Dez's finger etc, are going to happen regardless. So to avoid the 50/50 on it, you simply win your division and lock up your playoff seed BEFORE week 17. We had it, it was right there for the taking and we pi$$ed it away.

Hence we are not a good team. We let multiple opportunities slip away only to be faaced with this win and in situation again, only to lose again.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And, as it always is with these Cowboys, they were stuck using replacement-level players in meaningful roles because of their lack of depth (a.k.a. lack of cap space to acquire useful depth), and those guys got exposed with the season on the line. The Eagles terrorized overmatched rookie free agent Jeff Heath in coverage during the first quarter, with the Cowboys eventually benching Heath for third-rounder J.J. Wilcox. The absence of Sean Lee also forced Dallas to start rookie sixth-rounder DeVonte Holloman at middle linebacker, and while Holloman led the team with 11 tackles, he was relying on his athleticism and got caught guessing as to where McCoy would bounce his runs. Holloman actually played pretty well for a rookie who was suiting up out of position, but the fact that the Cowboys were stuck relying on a late-round pick to play every snap in their biggest game of the year says a lot about their roster construction and general team-building philosophy.

With Dallas having lost their third play-in game in three years, that's the problem that would really upset me if I were a Cowboys fan. I don't think you can fault the effort shown by the team in Week 17, but after three 8-8 seasons, what's going to make the Cowboys suddenly change and get better? They might very well fire Garrett as early as Monday morning, but who is going to want to work for Jerry Jones? As I wrote about earlier this year, this team is already capped out and will be for the foreseeable future. Anybody who comes in to replace Garrett is going to have to make do with the players who are already on the roster, and that's without assuming that the likes of Jason Hatcher and Miles Austin will be gone next year. Dallas is built to win now, and it's not winning. For years, that problem was viewed through the prism of Romo as a possible solution. Now, with Romo absent, it might be time to realize that the Cowboys can't win as currently constituted, with or without their star quarterback.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10214346/bill-barnwell-week-17-nfl

Same stuff Sturm has been harping on for years, but from a different voice.

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. This was a very winnable year given how weak the NFC East was. We went toe-to-toe with a the juggernauts (Denver) which proved that we should have won more games. We should have had the division wrapped up by week 15. We didn't. We failed.

We can compete with anyone. Anytime a fan here gives up before the start of the game, you honestly have to consider their intelligence. The team doesn't give up, but the fans sure as hell do. That said, we really need to alter some of the mentality in order to take the next critical step. Being in games is fine and dandy, now we need to close.

In Redball I Trust!
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="Texas_OutLaw7"]Sure. This was a very winnable year given how weak the NFC East was. We went toe-to-toe with a the juggernauts (Denver) which proved that we should have won more games. We should have had the division wrapped up by week 15. We didn't. We failed.

We can compete with anyone. Anytime a fan here gives up before the start of the game, you honestly have to consider their intelligence.

Given this teams performance and recent history in such games, I don't think it is THEIR intelligence you have to question. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, what do you say to fool me 3 times in a row?
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Given this teams performance and recent history in such games, I don't it is THEIR intelligence you have to question. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, what do you say to fool me 3 times in a row?

...given their recent history we do compete in every game. So. I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Very rarely do we lay down and die. Fans though?

In Redball I Trust!
Tony7188

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
Given this teams performance and recent history in such games, I don't it is THEIR intelligence you have to question. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, what do you say to fool me 3 times in a row?

...given their recent history we do compete in every game. So. I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Very rarely do we lay down and die. Fans though?

We can compete in every game, that's fine. How many times have we won against teams with a winning record under Garrett?

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

We can compete in every game, that's fine. How many times have we won against teams with a winning record under Garrett?

I have no idea why we are changing the argument. My statement questioned the rationale of fans who give up too early and don't believe we can complete when it's been proven to be a foolish thought. We absolutely need to take the next step though. Competing is only admirable for so long.

In Redball I Trust!

Last edited by Texas_OutLaw7 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Quote:
And, as it always is with these Cowboys, they were stuck using replacement-level players in meaningful roles because of their lack of depth (a.k.a. lack of cap space to acquire useful depth), and those guys got exposed with the season on the line. The Eagles terrorized overmatched rookie free agent Jeff Heath in coverage during the first quarter, with the Cowboys eventually benching Heath for third-rounder J.J. Wilcox. The absence of Sean Lee also forced Dallas to start rookie sixth-rounder DeVonte Holloman at middle linebacker, and while Holloman led the team with 11 tackles, he was relying on his athleticism and got caught guessing as to where McCoy would bounce his runs. Holloman actually played pretty well for a rookie who was suiting up out of position, but the fact that the Cowboys were stuck relying on a late-round pick to play every snap in their biggest game of the year says a lot about their roster construction and general team-building philosophy.

With Dallas having lost their third play-in game in three years, that's the problem that would really upset me if I were a Cowboys fan. I don't think you can fault the effort shown by the team in Week 17, but after three 8-8 seasons, what's going to make the Cowboys suddenly change and get better? They might very well fire Garrett as early as Monday morning, but who is going to want to work for Jerry Jones? As I wrote about earlier this year, this team is already capped out and will be for the foreseeable future. Anybody who comes in to replace Garrett is going to have to make do with the players who are already on the roster, and that's without assuming that the likes of Jason Hatcher and Miles Austin will be gone next year. Dallas is built to win now, and it's not winning. For years, that problem was viewed through the prism of Romo as a possible solution. Now, with Romo absent, it might be time to realize that the Cowboys can't win as currently constituted, with or without their star quarterback.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10214346/bill-barnwell-week-17-nfl

Same stuff Sturm has been harping on for years, but from a different voice.

I don't know... A bunch of Cowboys fans keep telling me how shrewdly Jason, Jerry and Stephen maneuver the salary cap and that it's no big deal at all. Could it really be that all this salary cap maneuvering is really hurting the team? And its because of taking so much money from the future caps that we're PERPETUALLY stuck with UDFAs and NFL minimum types as back ups? That's a novel concept.

TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

I have no idea why we are changing the argument. My statement questioned the rationale of fans who give up too early and don't believe we can complete when it's been proven to be a foolish thought. We absolutely need to take the next step though. Competing is only admirable for so long.

I think everyone thinks the team will compete. What people question or "give up" on is the outcome, especially in one-and-done games.

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
I think everyone thinks the team will compete. What people question or "give up" on is the outcome, especially in one-and-done games.

I don't agree. You will find several, "we are going to get slaughtered" posts prior to kick off. At least, based on my definition, getting slaughtered is not competing in games.

In Redball I Trust!
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I don't agree. You will find several, "we are going to get slaughtered" posts prior to kick off. At least, based on my definition, getting slaughtered is not competing in games.

I think most people thought the team would get slaughtered yesterday, myself included. No Romo and a terrible defence facing a red-hot offence should have meant a blowout. But kudos for the team competing. But if the team wants to find silver linings, they should be playing with the pee-wee kids. This is professional football. Competing is nice, but it's the results that really matter. And right now, the team isn't getting the results.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I think most people thought the team would get slaughtered yesterday, myself included. No Romo and a terrible defence facing a red-hot offence should have meant a blowout. But kudos for the team competing. But if the team wants to find silver linings, they should be playing with the pee-wee kids. This is professional football. Competing is nice, but it's the results that really matter. And right now, the team isn't getting the results.

And this is why competing isn't enough. We can beat the bad teams but when it comes to good teams most Cowboy fans know that we will be in it, but blow it at the very end. The Cowboys record against teams with winning records under Garrett is evidence of that. We've seen three years in a row that no lead by the Cowboys is safe.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually be happier, or could come to terms much more easily with us completely bottoming out, i.e. a nowhere to go but up mindset. But this mediocrity treadmill is extremely frustrating. Many say we were built to win now, and went all in but the best we can do is 8-8. Very frustrating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: