You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jim Mora Jr. ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Jim Mora Jr. ? Reply with quote

Okay, I can understand Cowher as a proven commodity. I can understand Garrett, McDaniels, and Chudzinski as hot offensive coordinators. I can understand Meeks and Caldwell as both up and comers and minority candidates.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/01/mora_interview_tomorrow.html

But Jim Mora? Really? Why? What does he bring to the table? 26-22 and a great running attack ... but nothing else. I will not blame all of their passing problems on Mora since Vick was at the helm. But the defense was middling to poor his entire there, and it wasn't like they were hurting for talent.

Was it the spectacular Seattle pass defense (he has been the Seahawks' DB coach this year)?

2007 STATS
6th-T points/game allowed (18.2)
6th in opponent pass completions (58.5%)
19th in yards allowed (3505, 219.1 ypg)
1st in passing TD allowed (15)
4th-T in interceptions (20)
4th-T in 1st down percentage (32.2%)
2nd in opponent passer rating (73.0)

2006 STATS
19th points/game allowed (21.3)
15th opponent pass completions (59.3%)
16th in yards allowed (3256, 203.5 ypg)
24th in passing TD allowed (23)
25th-T in interceptions (12)
7th-T in 1st down percentage (31.7%)
26th in opponent passer rating (86.1)

That is some impressive improvement. Of course, the Seahawks spent most of free agency upgrading their defense, adding Kerney (QB pressures), Grant and Russell. Still, he was the coach. And of course, the Seahawks had a ridiculously easy schedule in terms of passing teams they faced.
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one makes no sense to me. Hopefully they're just doing their "due diligence." I can't imagine why anyone would hire Jim Mora Jr. over GW for this job. Just can't imagine it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
This one makes no sense to me. Hopefully they're just doing their "due diligence."

I believe that this is the reason.
I really couldn't imagine Jim More as the Washington Redskins' head coach.
In fact, I'd like for them to interview Jason Garrett, just for thrill's sake.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want him to be the skins coach, but he does deserve another HC job....lets face it GW is our man, he just had a 4th interview, I hope Snyder can remember his name by now! Jeeze just hire the guy already! IMO Atlanta shouldn't have gotten rid of him, or Shaub, but I guess its easy to say that now after the Vick problem.

I do like Jim Mora JR though, and think he was and will be a good NFL head coach. I'm not a fan of letting a Coach go who has been a winner for you, hello he does have a winning record in the NFL and that's hard to do over a 4 yr period especially with a QB like Vick who isn't a pocket passer and runs around and gets hurt all the time.

The Falcon's and Arthur Blank/Rich McKay made 3 horrible offseason moves last season, and then the Vick problem happened and couldn't be avoided. The totally ****ed up a playoff team in 1 yr...I think the guy who should get fired is McKay!

1) Firing Jim Mora, who is still a very young coach who was learning and had plenty of room to grow and improve 26-22 record not that bad considering the franchise we are talking about here "Atlanta Falcons" hello its not like this team has a history of winning.

Bobby Petrino....yeah how'd that work out!

2) Trading Matt Schaub, who lets face it would have been your franchise QB now, and even last year was probably one of the most reliable FA's in the league. He could have left you for FA, but decided to stay, he was loyal, so why'd you dump him.

3) Not resigning Pattrick Kerney, hello 14.5 sacks, I think he led the NFL or was def in the top 3. How in the world do you not throw the checkbook at him, dumb dumb dumb!

4) I guess a 4th one would be trading away Duckett, lets face it Dunn isn't muich without a brusing back to share the backfield with, they shouldn't have gotten rid of Duckett either.

So yeah I definelty blame the downfall of the Falcons on Blank and McKay!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MikeT14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw John Clayton talking about this last night, and I couldn't help continuously thinking to myself..."Jim Mora? Really?" On my list of candidates, Jim Mora is not in my top 10. That's for sure.

- mike23md

D.C. Sports: Hope is fine, but believing is where we screw up.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget - alot of these "interviews" could be a get-to-know-you type of interview so that when the new coach comes in he might tap Mora to be an assistant here.

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, first off, long time no see (read?).

Second, let's not forget that Gibbs was part owner in Atlanta while Mora was there. This could very well be Gibbs doing Mora a favor, by getting his name in to the head coaching conversations again. I'm almost sure that that's it.

IMO, Williams is the guy and the Skins are doing some favors for Schwartz and Mora and complying with the Rooney rule with Meeks. All are good coaches I'm sure, and worthy of consideration, just not for the Skins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Don't forget - alot of these "interviews" could be a get-to-know-you type of interview so that when the new coach comes in he might tap Mora to be an assistant here.

If I'm not mistaken, Mora is the AHC/Secondary, which means he can only interview for head coaching positions (without permission). I'm not sure if the Seahawks are going to let him go.

I suspect this benefits Mora much more than it does us. If Holmgren does in fact retire, then Mora gets some free interviewing experience with us before going in to talk with the Seattle brass.
Woz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sootedpair wrote:
Guys, first off, long time no see (read?).

Second, let's not forget that Gibbs was part owner in Atlanta while Mora was there. This could very well be Gibbs doing Mora a favor, by getting his name in to the head coaching conversations again. I'm almost sure that that's it.

IMO, Williams is the guy and the Skins are doing some favors for Schwartz and Mora and complying with the Rooney rule with Meeks. All are good coaches I'm sure, and worthy of consideration, just not for the Skins.

First off, welcome back! Very Happy

I had forgotten about Gibbs and Atlanta. Makes some sense to get some guys the chance to get a promotion if you've already focused on your guy.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Mora is the AHC/Secondary, which means he can only interview for head coaching positions (without permission). I'm not sure if the Seahawks are going to let him go.

I suspect this benefits Mora much more than it does us. If Holmgren does in fact retire, then Mora gets some free interviewing experience with us before going in to talk with the Seattle brass.

In that case it could be a get to know you interview so that we know what kind of head coach and philosophy he will bring to the Seahawks, given that we just lost our last 2 playoff games to them

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
FOOTBALL5545

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playoffs, playoffs, we wont get there if we hire jim mora
FA:
S. Rice
Ryan Harris
P. Posluszny
2012:
1-Andrew Luck
2-Michael Brewster
Woz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOOTBALL5545 wrote:
playoffs, playoffs, we wont get there if we hire jim mora

That's Jim Mora Jr.'s dad. Still funny. Very Happy
Woz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Quote:

In that case it could be a get to know you interview so that we know what kind of head coach and philosophy he will bring to the Seahawks, given that we just lost our last 2 playoff games to them

This of course assumes:
A) that Holmgren is actually retiring, and
B) that Seattle actually hires Mora Jr.

Both A & B are reasonable bets, but not guaranteed. Still, you have to figure that at some point Mora will get another shot at HC, so getting a little intel makes sense. However, if that was the intention, why would we skip meeting with John Harbaugh, Rex Ryan, or Jason Garrett? Wouldn't it make sense to get their coaching philosophies as well?
Skinz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
This one makes no sense to me. Hopefully they're just doing their "due diligence." I can't imagine why anyone would hire Jim Mora Jr. over GW for this job. Just can't imagine it...

Thats a stupid thing to say and you're a stupid person for saying it. What do you know about Jim Mora Jr.? Are you smarter or more informed than the Skins' front office? You're probably some Junior College punk. I've read some of your other misguided posts and I can tell by your writing that you aren't very intelligent. Jim Mora Jr. would be a great coach wherever he goes. Where Mora goes, success follows.
Woz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinz wrote:
e16bball wrote:

Thats a stupid thing to say and you're a stupid person for saying it. What do you know about Jim Mora Jr.? Are you smarter or more informed than the Skins' front office? You're probably some Junior College punk. I've read some of your other misguided posts and I can tell by your writing that you aren't very intelligent. Jim Mora Jr. would be a great coach wherever he goes. Where Mora goes, success follows.

Umm ... normally, when we have a new poster to the board, I (along with others) like to welcome them to Football's Future. However, I think you need to be enlightened about a few things:

1. Did you miss the image under e16bball's avatar? The one that reads "Moderator?" Generally speaking, it is not the wisest thing to insult one of the most respected Redskins' fans on the board (both by us and the guys who run the board) with your first post.

2. Did you miss the forum rules? Specifically:
Quote:
2. Personal attacks, name calling, and threats to other members are not allowed.

3. Did you miss that Mora Jr. has only been a head coach at Atlanta? He has not really had a track record to say that "where Mora goes, success follows." He went 11-5 in his first year, 8-8 in his second, and 7-9 in his third.

Do you mean wherever he has coached?

Well, he started in 1985 as a quality control coach in San Diego and was promoted to coaching the secondary in 1989 until 1991. During that timeframe, the Chargers won no more than 8 games in a single season.

In 1992, he went to coach under his father in New Orleans and stayed there for 5 years. The Saints went 12-4 in his first season there (won the NFC West crown, but lost in the wild card round to the Eagles). However, after that, they won no more than 8 games while he was on their staff and did not go back to the playoffs.

In 1997, he went to coach under Steve Mariucci in San Francisco and was promoted to defensive coordinator in 1999. When Mooch was fired and Erickson was brought in, Erickson retained him in 2003. Here, he had some better times. In his first two years with the Niners, they went 13-3 and 12-4 (going 1-1 in the playoffs each year). However, once he was promoted to DC, they went 4-12 and 6-10 in the next two years. They rebounded the next two going 12-4 and 10-6 (losing in wild card round in 2001, and losing the divisional round in 2002). In his one year under Erickson, they went 7-9.

This year, he was the secondary coach with Seattle. We know how that turned out.

Now, we could argue that the records of most of the teams he coached with here are probably not his fault. However, you hinted that he had a track record of success. This is not true, sad to say. He had his ups and downs. More downs than ups, with only seven 9+ seasons in his entire 22 year coaching career. Less than one in three is not really THAT successful.

If Mora had not stupidly said that he would take the University of Washington job if it was offered even if the Falcons were in the playoff hunt, he likely would still be the head coach in Atlanta. We could have really seen what kind of coach he was if he had to coach through the Vick debacle.

4. Finally, did you miss where e16bball said "why anyone would hire Jim Mora, Jr. over GW for this job?" He was not saying that Mora would be a better coach no matter what. He said for our needs, hiring Mora over Williams made no sense. One of the biggest things we need in this transition is continuity. Going from Gibbs to Williams gives us that. Mora would bring in a whole another coaching staff. That turmoil and change of philosophy could potentially cause us to take a step back.

I hope this illuminates a few things about how we try to act around here, and I hope you come back with a little less antagonistic attitude (or at least bring examples why you think Mora would be a better coach for us than Williams). In the long run, it is generally wiser to establish yourself first before going off the handle needlessly and looking foolish.

Given that Mora has backed out of the job, we probably could just lock this thread up. No point for further commentary.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: