You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New skins mock after comments.(one trade)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midniterc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:

That's not exactly what I would call a great collection of talent.

EDIT: Woof, just did a bit of digging around and I discovered that out of all of the Big East teams, West Virginia only beats South Florida (6) and UConn (4) for players in the NFL. Those two teams entered D-IA football in 2001 and 2000 respectively.

Most certainly. The state of West Virginia ia not a very good state for home grown talent. The football team has to recruit in other states, and that often means that they have to get other states' lower tier players. They recruit in the state of Florida and often have to settle for what is left over after Florida, Fla St, Miami and other programs take what they want. WVU does a great job of finding players in every little nook and cranny, but don't measure up to NFL-style talent.

Pat White will never be drafted as an NFL QB, but he is one of the best college QBs in the country. They've had great running backs, that succeed at the college level, but just don't have that extra gear, or that extra muscle needed to make it in the NFL. WVU can hang with any team in the country, and will be even better under Coach Bill Stewart, but that doesn't always translate into NFL greatness.
midniterc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
I will be curious how WVU and Michigan change now that Bill Stewart and Rich Rodriguez are installed. I never thought Rodriguez's players would translate to the pros. However, Michigan's got a long track record of putting players into the NFL (44 are currently active). Will Rodriguez change to fit the talent, or will the talent change to fit Rodriguez? Will Stewart do a better job of putting WVU players into the next level? Okay, yes, that is neither of their jobs, but it does reflect on their job as a college coach.

1) Rich Roriguez did not make WVU. WVU made Rich Rodriguez. RR brought in a spread offense and did a really good job recruiting the right players to run it. However, RR has a few drawbacks as a coach. He is not able to change. When Pitt was putting eight in the box and determined to shut down the run, any normal coach would throw the ball. RR refused and got beat. When a team has his number, he can't adjust.

2) RR has an incredibly swollen ego for what White and Slaton did for him on the field. He wasn't getting a lot of props when Rasheed Marshall was his QB. His ego demanded that he, as a football coach, should be allowed to control all the money in the athletic department. He threw a tantrum when they told him no, and that's what led to his meetings with Michigan. If he doesn't beat Ohio St by his second year, he's going to get treated a lot worse in Michigan than he ever did at WVU.

We won't know how good Stewart is until his own recruits start coming in. So far, Stewart has put together a coaching staff/recruiting class that looks to be far superior to RR's good ole boy system. Time will tell.

On a side note, Michigan also took WVU's basketball coach last year. WVU's team is currently rated 41 and Michigan's is rated 162. But the real test will be in a few years when the new recruiting classes are in.
midniterc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:

I've tried hard to support him, due to hailing from Washington, D.C., but he seems like he's not dedicated. I don't know if it's the hopelessness of being a Raider or if he's just too wrapped up in himself. I almost want him as a Redskin, as that big-bodied WR.

Funny thing is that he didn't play WR for WVU. He was a Safety.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midniterc wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:

I've tried hard to support him, due to hailing from Washington, D.C., but he seems like he's not dedicated. I don't know if it's the hopelessness of being a Raider or if he's just too wrapped up in himself. I almost want him as a Redskin, as that big-bodied WR.

Wow. I didn't even know that.
midniterc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
midniterc wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:

Wow. I didn't even know that.

At that time, WVU had good college level WRs. They were hurting in the defensive backfield, so Porter volunteered to play defense.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I went to WVU when Porter went there, he was a yr older than me in school. He was an amazing talent. And still is, its a shame he's been stuck in Oakland his whole career, I feel if he got on a better team with a consistend QB he'd be one of the best in the game, he has the skills, size and speed to be.

I remember seeing him play basketball in pick upgames, granite the competiton wasn't the best but he used to have dyed blonde hair, and I remember seeing this 6'4 cut up guy just dunking from the foul line...guess who it was...Jerry Porter.

He needs to get his butt out of Oak, I wish the skins had traded for him, at somepoint in the past couple of years, a perfect time would have been last year, when he wasn't playing because of Art Shell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think its going to take Rodriguez a couple of years to build his program at Mich, he just lost his entire offense to either the draft, graduation, or transfer.

Obvioulsy those players don't want to play in the spread offense.

And the big 10 defenses are better than the big east defenses.

WVU will be fine next year, the true test will be if their new coaching staff can keep it going, can they build on what Rodriguez has built there in the past 4 years.

Thats the true test.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Yeah I went to WVU when Porter went there, he was a yr older than me in school. He was an amazing talent. And still is, its a shame he's been stuck in Oakland his whole career, I feel if he got on a better team with a consistend QB he'd be one of the best in the game, he has the skills, size and speed to be.

I remember seeing him play basketball in pick upgames, granite the competiton wasn't the best but he used to have dyed blonde hair, and I remember seeing this 6'4 cut up guy just dunking from the foul line...guess who it was...Jerry Porter.

He needs to get his butt out of Oak, I wish the skins had traded for him, at somepoint in the past couple of years, a perfect time would have been last year, when he wasn't playing because of Art Shell.

I'm not sure if he's a FA or not, but a lot of Raiders fans speak as if he won't be back next season... Maybe he could be an option... but I'm sure they'll be weary of any more self-indulged WR's!
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how self-indulgent he is...lets face it the Raiders organization and everything out there is a "black hole"

I hope he's a FA, but I haven't seen him on any list...I think he might have gotten an extension or something. I'd love to have him, he'd def be our #2 Wr and would be a great compliment to Moss, heck he might even beat out Moss for the #1 spot. He is 6'2 220 lbs which is perfect, its like TO size.

I wish he had more production though, only 44 catches, but then again look at the team and I think he had 3 QB's if not 4 throwing to him this season, the Raiders have had a QB problem ever since they lost Gannon, they should have kept Collins he keeps getting replaced by rookies I don't understand it, he seems like a good QB to me, took a team to the SB and another to the NFC Championship.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: